Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Yeah we do that

****er still stays up till like 10:30

Turn down the lights an hour before bedtime and get the little one ready for bed.  Pajamas, teeth brushed, the entire routine.  This is wind down time, roughly an hour. No food, no energetic play time, just water and words.  

Afterwards read to them in the dark (I use an iPad).  Get in their bed next to them if you find it puts them out faster.  If this fails increase the reading level.  If that fails stop and quiz them during the reading.  Once they realize they’re expected to learn they'll be tempted to flee into dreams as a refuge.  

If all else fails find what they care about, like a favorite toy, and threaten to give it away.  This last one might be the whiskey talking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, tshile said:

Yeah I know that’s the problem. Dude wakes up about 7. Sleeps about an hour at daycare. 

Most likely a sign that nap isn’t needed anymore. Does he nap on weekends? 

My son turned 4 last month and finally dropped his nap altogether a couple months ago. Night sleep has been better since then. 

edit- double posted and can’t get rid of second text box bc ES mobile is 🗑 

10 hours ago, tshile said:

Yeah I know that’s the problem. Dude wakes up about 7. Sleeps about an hour at daycare. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

That nap transition is a sob.  I have one kid who naps and another who doesn’t.  These guys are like opposites.

Thinking about having a third.  Don’t wanna wait too long cause you know, I’m getting old.

I’ve got a 4 year old, a 2.5 year old, and an 8 month old. Spacing is approx 21 and 19 months between kids. We had a nice two months with #1 and 2 on the same nap schedule (sweet 2 hour midday break for us) before #3 showed up and ruined it. Now #1 doesn’t nap, #2 naps for two hours just in the afternoon, and #3 is on a two nap schedule. 

• Haha 1

But I’m really hoping to get that third boy.

(I want a girl)

Plus, just Thursday, I told my grandfather while he was on his death bed that we were going to be trying for a girl.  He died Thursday night.  I don’t wanna let him down.  And if we have a boy?  I can give him my grandfathers name as a middle name.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

But I’m really hoping to get that third boy.

(I want a girl)

Plus, just Thursday, I told my grandfather while he was on his death bed that we were going to be trying for a girl.  He died Thursday night.  I don’t wanna let him down.  And if we have a boy?  I can give him my grandfathers name as a middle name.

Bruh. Sorry to hear about gramps. 

#1 great sentiment. We are having a boy next week and we haven’t decided on a first name, but his middle name WILL be my father and grandfathers name (William). That was decided like 10 years ago. 

#2 Sometimes **** doesn’t work out like you want. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself about **** you can’t control. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

#1 great sentiment. We are having a boy next week and we haven’t decided on a first name, but his middle name WILL be my father and grandfathers name (William). That was decided like 10 years ago. 

#2 Sometimes **** doesn’t work out like you want. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself about **** you can’t control. 

Deuce William PleaseBlitz. I like it. 

11 hours ago, Springfield said:

not in the least

3 is a little chaotic but honestly was easier on us than when we went from 1 to 2. You get used to the chaos. :) 

Thankfully 3 has been a pretty easy baby so that helps a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks Brother.  Interesting thing, my grandfather’s name was also William.

I will try to make the next pregnancy easy-peasy.  We’ve almost decided to forgo learning the gender until the baby is born.  We knew with our first two, so as long as he/she is healthy, the surprise would be neat.

• Like 2

I got 1 of each. It’s fun and cute now but my wife just told me I have to learn how to do her hair. I don’t even do my own hair. 

ive tried a few times but I suck at it and she looks stupid when I do it. 

She’s going to be a trouble maker. I’m not too thrilled about ages 10-25. Probably just go on auto pilot. 

one thing I’ve noticed almost all boy cloths (up to the age she is, <2) use snaps and almost all girl clothes use the buttons you have to feed through a hole like normal clothes. Which is super obnoxious. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not saying anyone should or shouldn't find out the gender, but **** surprises.  I need to be as prepared as possible 6 months in advance.  :ols:

I mean, for our first one we were.  We had a room all set up.  Painted, pictures, crib, fish take for night light.  Rocking chair, changing station.  All that jazz.

For our second, we bought a whole new ****ing house.

You don't need any of that though.  Just a place for the baby to sleep right next to mom at night.  For like the first couple of months at least.  Barely even need clothes.  **** ton of diapers and wipes though.

We were drastically over prepared for our first two kids.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 11:36 PM, Springfield said:

Our two kids 5 and 3 1/2 keep sneaking into our bed in the middle of the night.  It was cute at first but is wearing on me as it continues to happen with frequency.

Yeah, we've been going through that. Have to be consistent about expectations and it'll change eventually.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:01 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Does anyone have anything they bought for their infant that was unique or creative or particularly useful?

Asking because the new kiddo is arriving next week, Im on my second bottle of wine, and am currently surfing Amazon. :)

Mamaroo.  That thing was probably the best thing we bought for our son when he was born.  He loved that thing and it kept him quiet when nothing else would.

'Pyke notte thy nostrellys': 15th-century guide on children's manners digitised for first time

From Horrid Henry to Just William, naughty children are not difficult to find in children’s books today. But bad behaviour isn’t confined to recent decades – a manuscript from 1480, which has been digitised for the first time by the British Library, gives an insight into the antics of medieval children, as it exhorts them to “pyke notte thyne errys nothyr thy nostrellys” – don’t pick your ears or your nostrils - and to “spette not ovyr thy tabylle”.

965.jpg?width=380&quality=85&auto=format

The 15th-century conduct book, The Lytille Childrenes Lytil Boke, was intended to teach table manners. It has been put online as part of a new children’s literature website bringing together original manuscripts, interviews and drafts by authors from Lewis Carroll to Jacqueline Wilson. The medieval text is part of the British Library’s own collection, and “by listing all the many things that medieval children should not do, it also gives us a hint of the mischief they got up to”, said the library.

“Bulle not as a bene were in thi throote,” is another piece of advice doled out by the book – or “don’t burp as if you had a bean in your throat”. “And chesse cum by fore the, be not to redy,” children are warned – or “don’t be greedy when they bring out the cheese”. And long predating the Victorian age’s exhortations for children to be seen but not heard: “‘Loke thou laughe not, nor grenne / And with moche speche thou mayste do synne.” Or: “Don’t laugh, grin or talk too much.”

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...