Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you Believe??? (Religion)

Renegade7

What is your religious affiliation???  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What does your belief system fall under???

• Monotheistic
    • Non-Monotheistic
    • Agnostic
    • Athiest
    • I don't know right now
    • I don't care right now

I was raised Catholic but punched out in high school. I was already not on board from an early age. When I was little, I’d question something and get a pat on the head. When I was older, I got a lot of “because that’s how it is.” That wasn’t good enough. 

New Pope is cool, though. I like that guy. 

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Life isn't bad.. it's hard, but there's happiness and love and all of that. But overall, especially when the notions of God(s) came about, life was VERY hard.. fast and violent. But those nice things also existed, and the hope for those moments between all the other things that made (makes) life so hard also made (makes) it worth living.

I just think this is it, for the reasons i mentioned before. Those who believe are fine by me. I have no problem with faith, (Organized religion, especially in the USA, another thing entirely.)  My decisions about life and the great beyond are every bit as much a guess as anyone else's. For every bit as much of what i think is sound reasoning as they do.

We'll find out, or not. I figure I've lived pretty much the right way, so if I'm wrong, I'll stand on it.

~Bang

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm agnostic.

Might be a higher power, might not be.

Heck, I think the whole ancient astronaut theory is just as plausible as anything else. In fact I kinda lean in this direction.

Basically I'm open to whatever.

You sound like my Trumper friend with the agnostic/ancient astronaut thing.  It's interesting because I remember him telling me he was atheist, I asked him why he felt that way, then I told him he was agnostic and recommended looking up the difference.  

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Llevron said:

If God did exist as they explained it to me as a child, I would think he would want his messengers to be above reproach. But instead we have liars, con-men and thieves giving us the "word". 

I used to wonder this, too.  If he really was all power, how could he let the Church do some of the horrible things that it did in the Middle Ages, or allow something destabilizing to our society as Prosperity Theology take root?  

I kept reading and realized that people were constantly f'n up and at times God would just throw his hands and remove his protection from them.  First example that comes to mind is the Exile from Israel via Babylon. David got overthrown by his son after earlier having an affair with his best friend's wife and sending him to war in hopes he would get killed in action. 

That still doesn't explain Priests in Rwanda getting people into their church to hide then outting them and getting them killed inside the Church in the first place.  I have no answer for that, I have yet to get one, either.

Also, did I mislabel something?  Are there really no Buddhist or Hindu here?

• Like 1

Was a cradle Catholic, but at 22 had the big "aha" atheist moment.   I sort of relapsed around 30, but that only lasted a few months.  @Bang pretty much summed up what I feel - its really hard to reconcile what happens in the world, with the concept of god that cares about humanity.  I admits its possible that a higher being exists, but there isn't much evidence for one and it cannot be anything like what the Abrahamic god has been described as.   And this may be a selfish viewpoint, but particulary with what has (and has not) happened in my life.  Seeing so many of my peers seem to lead normal, happy, prosperous lives, despite being being nearly devoid of any sense of morality or humility in their youth and some even now, was really the nailed the coffin for me as far as religion goes.  I'll admit I don't have the worst life and wasn't exactly a saint, but frequently I feel like the odd man out.   Some of it does have to do with choices I made/didn't make, but I think alot of it is just bad luck.  

Raised catholic.

Agnostic now.  I'm pretty sure that the details of all the the various religions are wrong (especially the ones that claim that their interpretation of their own writings somehow proves that their religion provides the EXCLUSIVE way to salvation),

but there may be something greater out there that is beyond our comprehension and may have created this universe and may have a plan for us that we don't understand.  I just don't know and I don't expect to know in this life and I'm pretty sure that no one else can tell me, either.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You sound like my Trumper friend with the agnostic/ancient astronaut thing.  It's interesting because I remember him telling me he was atheist, I asked him why he felt that way, then I told him he was agnostic and recommended looking up the difference.  

Tell him we don’t want him. He’s a better fit with the ‘Muricun Taliban. ?

My journey to atheism is similar to others in this thread. I questioned Xtian beliefs as a child, got the just shut up and believe stuff, thought I found the answers in Islam, only to have a host of life experiences disabuse me of the notion that any benevolent being that actually gives two ?? about his creation is running things. The only way I could make sense of any of the bad stuff that happens to the innocent and the all too often lack of justice meted out to those who richly deserve it is if there’s only a universe based on the laws of physics and random chance. I mean really, what compassionate, loving god would allow Hitler, the Romans, the US, Stalin, and multiple Patriots/Cowturds SB wins to happen? None. To paraphrase a well known trope, he doesn’t exist, is evil, doesn’t care or can’t do anything about it.

While I claim atheism, I understand that sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know. So to answer a question I often get, if I wake up after dying and have to face somebody’s god, it won’t matter to me at all. Assuming the odds hold up and it’s one of the myriad versions of the judeo Xtian god, I’d feel highly justified in spitting in its “face” and cussing it out until I’m hoarse. As a mass murdering, slavery supporting, misogynist, etc., this god has no moral standing to judge even the worst that humanity has to offer, let alone me. Eff him.

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I am a Muslim. Probably as religious as I have ever been in my life but if you met me you would have no idea ?

Pretty much the way it should be for everyone. I generally don’t bring up my atheism unless there’s a philosophical discussion in which it naturally fits...or when Fundies force me to by being pushy with their beliefs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I mean really, what compassionate, loving god would allow Hitler, the Romans, the US, Stalin, and multiple Patriots/Cowturds SB wins to happen? None. To paraphrase a well known trope, he doesn’t exist, is evil, doesn’t care or can’t do anything about it.

And thats basically how I justified it, myself. Sometimes you go through stuff that really makes you sit down and think. And if you think about this and look at the world, it becomes harder and harder to argue the results. 

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That still doesn't explain Priests in Rwanda getting people into their church to hide then outting them and getting them killed inside the Church in the first place.  I have no answer for that, I have yet to get one, either.

Right. And where I get stuck is the people delivering the message. If the world is bad because we made it that way, but God is still watching, why would HIS boys be molesting children in the church? Sounds like they know something I don't. It's hard to pick up on that as a kid and watch it get proven over and over again. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I’d feel highly justified in spitting in its “face” and cussing it out until I’m hoarse. As a mass murdering, slavery supporting, misogynist, etc., this god has no moral standing to judge even the worst that humanity has to offer, let alone me. Eff him.

I get the frustration, but if you don't already know, you can make the argument that's how He rolls in the OT, but not the NT, and neither does JC.  The new covenant changed a lot of what was expected from people.  I'm not trying to stop you from being an Atheist, I'm asking you not to hate the guy over this.  And I really hope you aren't pushing people away that may agree with your religious leaning based on their political affiliation

40 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right. And where I get stuck is the people delivering the message. If the world is bad because we made it that way, but God is still watching, why would HIS boys be molesting children in the church? Sounds like they know something I don't. It's hard to pick up on that as a kid and watch it get proven over and over again. 

I need to read more on this topic, but I don't believe its from him being indifferent or complicit, I just want to make that clear.  The Bible itself is full of examples where he was not happy with the people claiming to preach his message, so in my eye, this is nothing new.

Edited by Renegade7

56 minutes ago, Llevron said:

And thats basically how I justified it, myself. Sometimes you go through stuff that really makes you sit down and think. And if you think about this and look at the world, it becomes harder and harder to argue the results. 

People are sinful, yes even in the church, which is called by the Lord to be holy. Yet we are still prone to sinful acts. It damages the witness of the church most assuredly. Thank God He knows this and in His grace made a way for forgiveness to those who forsake sin and trust in Him.

Jesus said this:

Matthew 7:22-23 English Standard Version (ESV)

On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

A good book on the general topic of suffering is "How Long O Lord? Reflections on Suffering and Evil" by DA Carson.

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 1

Yea I know you guys have reasons to believe what you do. I personally think it derives from comfort. Its easy to accept life if you have a reason to believe there is something driving it. I just don't. I have lots of reasons, too. I dont want to go too deep into that, though, as its not what I understand the point of the topic to be. And honestly I would feel horrible if I was able to change your mind. I want you to believe what you want. I just dont believe it myself. 

edit - actually f that. I think we are grown enough to talk about it. Ill be back. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea I know you guys have reasons to believe what you do. I personally think it derives from comfort. Its easy to accept life if you have a reason to believe there is something driving it. I just don't. I have lots of reasons, too. I dont want to go too deep into that, though, as its not what I understand the point of the topic to be. And honestly I would feel horrible if I was able to change your mind. I want you to believe what you want. I just dont believe it myself. 

edit - actually f that. I think we are grown enough to talk about it. Ill be back. 

Come at me bro.... :table2:

I'm just kidding. Would love to have civil discourse. It's nice to see people open up about this area of their lives without fear of repercussions.

• Haha 1

@Llevron and @Zguy28

This is a thread about expressing what you believe (and if you're comfortable with it), explaining why you believe it.  It's not about trying to change other people's minds, so even though I don't see ya'll getting carried away with it, please try to contain yourself from doing so.  I made a comment to someone earlier about the new convenant because I wasn't sure if they knew about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Tell him we don’t want him. He’s a better fit with the ‘Muricun Taliban. ?

My journey to atheism is similar to others in this thread. I questioned Xtian beliefs as a child, got the just shut up and believe stuff, thought I found the answers in Islam, only to have a host of life experiences disabuse me of the notion that any benevolent being that actually gives two ?? about his creation is running things. The only way I could make sense of any of the bad stuff that happens to the innocent and the all too often lack of justice meted out to those who richly deserve it is if there’s only a universe based on the laws of physics and random chance. I mean really, what compassionate, loving god would allow Hitler, the Romans, the US, Stalin, and multiple Patriots/Cowturds SB wins to happen? None. To paraphrase a well known trope, he doesn’t exist, is evil, doesn’t care or can’t do anything about it.

Do you believe in evil?

I do believe in the God of the Abrahamic Tradition (YHWH, Jehovah, Alpha/Omega, The Big Cheese, etc.), though I don't think They are the Entity we've come to know in our culture. I believe this God, if They exist, is so totally transcendent and beyond our comprehension that any attempt to access Them through any human effort (meditation, religious practice, building a giant tower in the sky, etc.) is at best a signpost toward them but usually futile.

So, yes, I believe in this God and their Sole Eminence. Do I know They exist? Absolutely not

I do believe They revealed Their essence in the form of Jesus of Nazareth - though That Jesus also shared in our humanity (they are intertwined even if they are polar opposites) and it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that God has also been revealed in other beings throughout time.

Once again, this I believe. This I know (though The Bible tells me so)? Not so much. 

Edited by thebluefood
  • Thanks 1

(I'm just ranting with this post. It won't be structured at all. So... Yeah. lol)
Got saved when I was 11. Wasn't born into Church or anything. My mother didn't even drag me there. My neighbor invited me to watch the Redskins game AFTER CHURCH. I always asked him why he did that? I was only 11, I would have went to the service.

Anyway, since then, things just started to click. I was Pentecostal for those first 12 years. Then became Baptist...

Now, I'm at the point where I just trust God, believe in Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I try not to openly sin, but when I do, I don't feel like the loser that I used to feel like when I first got saved.

I know terrible things have happened since I've been saved. I think the thing that keeps me sane is that I know I'm not exempt from the pain. The Bible has tons on examples of people going through some things, and coming out through it better than when they entered it.

For example, my future mother-in-law died from Cancer in February. Young, that joint came and took over. I can't even say it was out of nowhere because her daughter was telling her she needs to get it out. She also told me that God was telling her something was in there. So when she went to the Hospital and they told her a week later what it was, I wasn't even shocked. We kind of knew already.

I understand why people don't believe. I've seen some crazy things happen. Good and bad... I can't explain it for myself to understand, how the heck can I explain it for someone else? That's why I love parables and metaphors... When I'm able to see things or compare things, it makes it easier for me to understand. Like the story of Zaccheus and The Fig Tree in Luke. That story is so much more than him climbing the tree to me.

@Renegade7, you were always my man. This does nothing more but affirm it for me. I love Christians that are able to asks these types of questions. I have a Christian friend on Facebook that's been posting controversial questions on Facebook and I like seeing civil discussions on the topic between Believers and Non-Believers.

Sorry for the long post, I just really enjoy things like this. Even if I don't actively participate in them, I love hearing different aspects on any topic. Helps me for a better picture.

• Like 5