Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Recommended Posts

I hate playing in the AL East, I really do. I never thought Steve Pearce was that good of a player when he was here. Shows you what I know. I did know Jake Arrieta was a good pitcher, however, and wanted to keep him. Also wish we kept Gausman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I hate playing in the AL East, I really do. I never thought Steve Pearce was that good of a player when he was here. Shows you what I know. I did know Jake Arrieta was a good pitcher, however, and wanted to keep him. Also wish we kept Gausman.

 

Pearce winning the World Series MVP really doesn't mean you were wrong in your assessment. He had opportunities and came through in World Series games. He isn't the first and won't be the last role player to come up huge in a championship game/series. 

 

Doug Williams and Mark Rypien weren't great QBs (sorry!) but they are Super Bowl MVPs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Steve, he had some good times here, streaky hitter. He was a huge part of '14 team.

 

300-1 ... odd for the Os to win the WS. Yes, thats the lowest in the league. It could be 1,000-1 and I wouldnt put $10 on it.

 

------------------------------------------

 

More ****ty down right WTF news ...

 

Gaston to Rays for 2.5m.

https://www.mlb.com/news/sandy-gaston-agrees-to-sign-with-rays/c-299508900

 

 

So why did we trade Gausman for intl money?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dancing Bear said:

Quick question or two.

Have they found a GM and/or Manager yet?

 

Nope. There's a few names tied to them but that's about it. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

 

Nope. There's a few names tied to them but that's about it. 

Would not be surprise if Angelos take this team through free agency without either position being filled. Worse owner ever!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports are that O's are listening to offers on Cashner and Cobb.  I'm fine with them trading everybody who could net them more prospects, because they're going to suck regardless.  But man are they going to be bad for the next couple years.  As in more 115-loss seasons bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Reports are that O's are listening to offers on Cashner and Cobb.  I'm fine with them trading everybody who could net them more prospects, because they're going to suck regardless.  But man are they going to be bad for the next couple years.  As in more 115-loss seasons bad.

 

If that’s true it means the owners are only interested in cutting payroll and the O’s will lose 120 games next season. I wonder if the commissioners office will get involved soon. Still no front office hires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Reports are that O's are listening to offers on Cashner and Cobb.  I'm fine with them trading everybody who could net them more prospects, because they're going to suck regardless.  But man are they going to be bad for the next couple years.  As in more 115-loss seasons bad.

 

Where are you hearing this?  Not that I don't believe you, just want to see the source and what they wrote.

 

Would be happy with not seeing Cashner in an Orioles uniform ever again.  Cobb was pretty good in the 2nd half last year but we need prospects more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna be excited about this, I really do, but it'll be like 4-5 years before this new GM bears any fruit considering where we are. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a good hire. It won’t take long to find out how much control he really has as it relates to CD. This is way better on paper than having DD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not "officially" announced though.  Got to wonder what the hold-up is.  Agreed with the sentiments about wanting to be excited.  Seems like they're headed in the right direction finally but it's like starting a marathon and running 5 miles before you realize you were going the wrong way.  They are so far behind right now between the absence of talent in the pros, minors and lack of investment in the international arena that it could be a long time before they are competitive again.  Hope I'm wrong on that.

 

Edit: Now it's been officially announced.

Edited by SkinFanInMinn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 7:19 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

Where are you hearing this?  Not that I don't believe you, just want to see the source and what they wrote.

 

Would be happy with not seeing Cashner in an Orioles uniform ever again.  Cobb was pretty good in the 2nd half last year but we need prospects more.

 

Sorry for the late reply, I've been off this board for over a month.  The "Orioles are reportedly listening to offers on Cashner and Cobb" line was mentioned on espn.com on one of their articles featuring wish-lists/to-do lists/offseason plan/something like that for each team.  Can't remember exactly which one, it's been a while.

 

I see Milwaukee non-tendered Schoop.  When we traded him, Birdland was pretty upset and lamented how we didn't sign him to a big extension.  I guess that's one of the few right moves the front office made over the past couple years.

And we non-tendered Beckham and Joseph.  Man, I don't know if I could name 10 players on this team right now without looking it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

 

Sorry for the late reply, I've been off this board for over a month.  The "Orioles are reportedly listening to offers on Cashner and Cobb" line was mentioned on espn.com on one of their articles featuring wish-lists/to-do lists/offseason plan/something like that for each team.  Can't remember exactly which one, it's been a while.

 

I see Milwaukee non-tendered Schoop.  When we traded him, Birdland was pretty upset and lamented how we didn't sign him to a big extension.  I guess that's one of the few right moves the front office made over the past couple years.

And we non-tendered Beckham and Joseph.  Man, I don't know if I could name 10 players on this team right now without looking it up.

 

It's all good.  I'm excited for Elias and Sig and if they deal Cashner and Cobb this offseason I'll be stoked.

 

Milwaukee's GM straight up said that trading for him was a bad move.  I am pretty sure I wanted Schoop locked up after his breakout year but I'm glad we didn't.  He wasn't good for us last year and was just awful in Milwaukee.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id take Schoop back in a heart beat. Put him or Villar at SS. Roll with it.

 

I always saw Schoop as being overly shy and I think being under Manny's wing (and shadow) allowed him to feel comfortable.

 

I would love to have Schoop back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.