Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Looks like Sisco made the roster as backup catcher. I like that. I wouldn't even mind if he started. I am of the opinion that players develop better in the majors. No need to coddle. He's 23 years old, let him play he's a grown man. I don't like "wasting" prime years.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Looks like Sisco made the roster as backup catcher. I like that. I wouldn't even mind if he started. I am of the opinion that players develop better in the majors. No need to coddle. He's 23 years old, let him play he's a grown man. I don't like "wasting" prime years.

With Trumbo out, they may have him DH and try and get his bat going. 

Thanks for the thread.  I'm excited for the season; there's nothing better than sitting at Camden Yards with a cold beer on a perfect summer night, watching the Birds with one eye, and the slutty-yet-sometimes-cute Dundalk/Towson/Canton girls with the other.  If it's a weeknight game against a random team, I'm able to turn my $15 nosebleed ticket into a lower level seat behind the dugout by the 3rd inning.

I started following the O's back in 2005, and followed them through some very dark years.  So I've never expected much from them.  Maybe that's why I like them so much; I'm really happy when they win, but when they lose it doesn't sting like it does with the Skins or Caps.  A lot of you look at the 2018 club and see a team that's not going to keep up with the Yankees and Sox.  I look at them and say, hey, these guys are an upgrade over Freddie Bynum, Felix Pie, and Cesar Izturis.  At the All-Star game, we'll probably send someone better than Ty Wigginton.  Concerns about the rotation?  At least we're not counting down every 5 days until the next Jeremy Guthrie start to give us a reprieve from the likes of Daniel Cabrera, Kevin Millwood, and Jason Berken.

I like the Cobb signing, I'm going to take the glass-half-full approach and appreciate one more year of Manny, I like the pen, I do believe that Crush can have a bounce back season (he's done it before), and more times than not I believe in Buck.  This team can be competitive and play meaningful games into late-Summer.  And based on what I was used to with these guys 10 years ago, I'll take it.

23 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

I look at them and say, hey, these guys are an upgrade over Freddie Bynum, Felix Pie, and Cesar Izturis. 

Funny you mention that name. I see Freddie Bynum a few times a year. He is playing competitive slow-pitch softball. We play in the the same tournament as his team once or twice a year. But then when they are not playing, he will pickup with a team in SC or NC and we will play against him. 

I did an in person fantasy draft this year for the first time.  I've played fantasy baseball a couple times before on an online league with randoms.  Usually lose interest after about 6 weeks in.

This is an AL only league, (100 dollar buy in) and I wound up with 4 Orioles.  Davis (bench) Givens, Santander (bench) and Cisco (bench).

Last year I told my friend who was in the league and invited me this year to pick Mancini.  Hoping to get similar luck this year with Cisco.  

18 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

Funny you mention that name. I see Freddie Bynum a few times a year. He is playing competitive slow-pitch softball.

He seemed like a good dude. 

I like the name terrible Orioles game, btw. 

Karim Garcia

Mike DeJean

Todd Williams 

17 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

How about Ryan Minor and Calvin Pickering. And a pitching bonus of Rocky Coppinger from I believe the same era.

Rocky Coppinger also had a clone in Brad Pennington. Pennington was in a national commercial! For Nike. Because Ken Griffey Jr hit a ball that just missed the warehouse and poor Brad just looked at it dumbstruck. 

3 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

How about Ryan Minor and Calvin Pickering. And a pitching bonus of Rocky Coppinger from I believe the same era.

Those names just took me back.

Mike Devereaux is the one name that always pops up in my head. Sidney Ponson. Randy Milligan. Bob Milacki. Ah man right now I'm trying to think of the first Oriole to get a hit at Camden Yards. He was a good player but only played for us for a short while.

I broke down and Googled it. Glenn Davis.

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Calvin Pickering. RIP. 

Rocky Coppinger also had a clone in Brad Pennington. Pennington was in a national commercial! For Nike. Because Ken Griffey Jr hit a ball that just missed the warehouse and poor Brad just looked at it dumbstruck. 

That was such a vicious swing.  I don't think I've ever seen a ball hit better.  Griffey Jr was just entering the peak of his powers at that time and it was incredible.

I can't find a video of it.  

14 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Mike Devereaux is the one name that always pops up in my head. Sidney Ponson. Randy Milligan. Bob Milacki. Ah man right now I'm trying to think of the first Oriole to get a hit at Camden Yards. He was a good player but only played for us for a short while.

I remember Devereaux was top 10 in the MVP one year.  

But another name would be Sam Horn.

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That was such a vicious swing.  I don't think I've ever seen a ball hit better.  Griffey Jr was just entering the peak of his powers at that time and it was incredible.

I can't find a video of it.  

His swing was perfection. 

(I edited my previous post as I confused Pickering with Walter Young)

14 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Oh boy... better not mention that name around here again.  

http://eutawstreetreport.com/looking-back-on-the-glenn-davis-trade-baseballs-worst-ever/

Yeah, I remember that.  If they just stayed pat, they coulda rolled out a rotation of Mussina, Schilling, Harnisch, and Ben McDonald.  All 25 or younger.  

And then added Raffy Palmeiro a few years later in '94 to a lineup with Hoiles, Brady, Finley, Cal, Baines.

Speaking of ex-Orioles, it looks like locker room cancer and all-around asshole Albert Belle is really aging gracefully.  Arrested for indecent exposure 

Court records obtained by the Republic show that a man complained to police that his 15-year-old daughter had seen Belle urinating beside the driver’s side door of his car in the parking lot. The man yelled at Belle, who allegedly responded by shaking his genitals at the father and daughter.

9 hours ago, justice98 said:

Yeah, I remember that.  If they just stayed pat, they coulda rolled out a rotation of Mussina, Schilling, Harnisch, and Ben McDonald.  All 25 or younger.  

And then added Raffy Palmeiro a few years later in '94 to a lineup with Hoiles, Brady, Finley, Cal, Baines.

You'd have an outfield of Devo, Finley, Brady.  They'd catch everything.

Archived