Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)


zskins
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Hooper said:

The Vikings have minimal cap room going forward. They are in a bad spot. Things could get worse before they get better and by that time Cousins could will be public enemy number one for Vikes fans — and he is the last person who can deal with that.

 

They have 181 mil against a 191 mil cap already! His contract is gonna kill them and no one in the media is shy about letting him know it. 

 

There is no way I see him living up to his pay check. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As for the Vikes/Jets you can't have it both ways.  Either he signed the highest offer and didn't care about winning or he didn't.  All this projection  about future endorsements is simply a theory.  I have a theory:  A guy who disappointed in the tiny market of Minnesota won't have the same endorsement opportunities as the starting QB in the largest market in the country, regardless of record.   If you can find me a quote from any player or agent who said they signed with Minnesota instead of New York for the endorsement opportunities I would appreciate it.  

 

My entire point is that you can't look at his record breaking contract as a sign he wasn't interested in the money just because he declined 2mil more from a ****ty team in NY. 2mil, btw, was added as his workout bonus in Minny so it's not like he turned away money. Bet that doesnt mean anything to you though huh? But he ended up making up the reported difference in contracts anyway - so that would destroy your entire point wouldn't it? 

 

Also if he was so worried about winning you will have a hard time convincing Vikes fans who already think hes a douche bag. Like how he was saying he just needs more time and smiling and laughing literal minutes after their season came to an end. 

 

You vike that??

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

 

My entire point is that you can't look at his record breaking contract as a sign he wasn't interested in the money just because he declined 2mil more from a ****ty team in NY. 2mil, btw, was added as his workout bonus in Minny so it's not like he turned away money. Bet that doesnt mean anything to you though huh? But he ended up making up the reported difference in contracts anyway - so that would destroy your entire point wouldn't it? 

 

Also if he was so worried about winning you will have a hard time convincing Vikes fans who already think hes a douche bag. Like how he was saying he just needs more time and smiling and laughing literal minutes after their season came to an end. 

 

You vike that??

 

I'm pretty sure DGF is Grant Paulsen, I wouldn't waste time arguing with him. He will never leave the Kurt train lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good for Kirk getting his money. And he clearly thought Dan and Bruce were bad people ruining a once great franchise — he should have wanted out. 

 

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is how little credit he gave Jay. I mean even if you think Jay is a mediocre HC, no one went to bat for Cousins like Jay did. The idea that Cousins owes his career to McVay — who he thanked time and time again — omits Jay putting his job on the line to tell Snyder that it was time to move on from RG3. Hell, Jay even gave KC a second chance to win the job after he flamed out the first time around.

 

Even without McVay, one could argue that JAy got more out of Cousins with less talent than Minny did. 

 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As for the Vikes/Jets you can't have it both ways.  Either he signed the highest offer and didn't care about winning or he didn't.

 

Oh c'mon, everyone knows that his agent raised the value by an extra $4M with McCown. Yeah, he'll sign with the Jets anyways and piss off his agent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And money without consideration of cost of operating a business,  living expenses,  and tax rates.  Minnesota isn't real low in taxes but there's no city income taxes.  And Kirk may still prefer midwest living, this doesn't negate getting highest paid NET deal, with home and business operating costs. 

 

Kirk can buy franchises or dealerships at more affordable rate now than in NYC area. 

 

I already dismantled this argument before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you guys seen Minnesota's stadium and facilities?  I'd liken Kirk experiencing that to someone accustomed to staying at the Motel 6 finally getting to stay at a Ritz Carlton.  Add to that having Thielen, Diggs, Dalvin Cook and a defense that looked damn good in 2017.  And for those who swear he's soft, I imagine dealing with the Minnesota press is a pillow fight in comparison to the big apple.  Heck, the big apple writes scathing stories about him and he's not even employed there.  There were more than 84M reasons to choose Minnesota.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Have you guys seen Minnesota's stadium and facilities?  I'd liken Kirk experiencing that to someone accustomed to staying at the Motel 6 finally getting to stay at a Ritz Carlton.  Add to that having Thielen, Diggs, Dalvin Cook and a defense that looked damn good in 2017.  And for those who swear he's soft, I imagine dealing with the Minnesota press is a pillow fight in comparison to the big apple.  Heck, the big apple writes scathing stories about him and he's not even employed there.  There were more than 84M reasons to choose Minnesota.

What’s ironic is that smaller town press is killing Cousins, calling him a complete flop even. DC media was kind in comparison 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

What’s ironic is that smaller town press is killing Cousins, calling him a complete flop even. DC media was kind in comparison 

I wouldn't expect anything less.  When you come to town with all the fanfare and the contract, that comes with the territory in any city.  It would still be worse in NY.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

And money without consideration of cost of operating a business,  living expenses,  and tax rates.  Minnesota isn't real low in taxes but there's no city income taxes.  And Kirk may still prefer midwest living, this doesn't negate getting highest paid NET deal, with home and business operating costs. 

 

Kirk can buy franchises or dealerships at more affordable rate now than in NYC area. 

 

I already dismantled this argument before. 

 

Add that to the fact that the dude signed a 3 year deal. No one does that is they aren’t already planning to be successful and getting the next contract. 

 

Dude very clearly is a business man, and good business in this case would be to take the less money (even if that’s not factually accurate) and go to a team that was just in the NFC Championship game, have a few playoff berths, and then negotiate his next contract during their playoff window. In that scenario he’s negotiating from a position of strength. Verses taking the 2 extra mil or whatever is was from NYC to have 6 win seasons and be a back up again afterwards. 

 

Its obvious. It was about money. Always has been with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that the 6 highest paid QBs didn't make the playoffs and the biggest extensions signed (Stafford, Carr, Cousins) were all epic disasters may start to change the perception GMs have about quarterbacks that haven't proven squat.

 

 

Not to mention seeing QBs like Goff, Wentz and Mayfield playing extremely well while still on insanely cheap rookie contracts. And at least Carr and Stafford were still on the same team that drafted them.

 

Some of us (*cough* me *cough* lol) were saying this in the offseason, that it was as much a possibility that Cousins' deal causes things to shift back the other way as it was that it would set a standard in NFL negotiations for the next 100 years or whatever. The desire to use Kirk as an avenue to criticize and belittle Snyder and Allen was way too strong for that possibility to ever be considered and discussed, though. The higher fans and media imagined Cousins succeeding, the more idiotic they felt it made Snyder and Allen look (especially Allen). It soon became conventional wisdom in the NFL to state as fact that Cousins was gonna command a contract "upwards of $30M+ per season" and that in "today's NFL" you paid $20M+ per year for "mere competence" at the QB position. Which is one reason I abhor arguments that rely on conventional wisdom to support its opinions.

 

Remember this?

 

Conventional Wisdom (spouted off by fans and media members alike): "The importance of RBs in the NFL has decreased dramatically...this is a passing league now...nobody is spending 1st round picks on a running back anymore, you can easily get a quality starting RB in the 4th round."

 

Reality: Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliott and Saquon Barkley all get drafted in the top 10 and look like the engines that help propel their teams to wins.

 

 

It could be that the updated version of that is this:

 

Conventional Wisdom:  "You absolutely have to pay $25M-$30M a year for just an above average QB. That's just the reality, and the Skins don't understand that. They think they're smarter than everyone. And Cousins is gonna set the standard moving forward in terms of guaranteed money...just watch."

 

Reality: Stafford, Carr, and Cousins could only cobble their teams to a collective 18-29-1 record. Just how important was it for those teams to pay as much as possible to gain (or keep) those players...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that the 6 highest paid QBs didn't make the playoffs and the biggest extensions signed (Stafford, Carr, Cousins) were all epic disasters may start to change the perception GMs have about quarterbacks that haven't proven squat.

 

or the fact that the last QB that won the Super Bowl AND the Super Bowl MVP was a backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

or the fact that the last QB that won the Super Bowl AND the Super Bowl MVP was a backup.

 

Or that--God forbid--he may come close to doing it again lol...

 

Either way, there was (and is) just a ton of evidence to support the argument that paying "any QB not named Rodgers" that much guaranteed cash is a mistake.

 

If the Vikings can retool and upgrade their roster while still absorbing Kirk's contract, and then go on to have real success (and not just statistical success at the QB position), then the decision for them to sign KC will be shown to have been a good one for them. But it won't show that going the route the Vikings took is a good strategy overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

(Video)

 

 

Kirk on thinking in the locker room that the team didn't deserve to make the playoffs: "you could say 'if this one ball bounces this way we're in the playoffs,' even with today. And so you can't get caught up too much in today, and you can't get caught up too much in 'we didn't deserve this or that'. There's only so much you can control as an individual player, there are so many moments in a season out of your control that happen on the field that end up having a big impact on the final outcome of each game. And so, um...you know, at times you have to understand that it's a lot bigger than any one person."

 

There's that patented "license to lead" he was talking about back in the spring lol...

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

 

Kirk on thinking in the locker room that the team didn't deserve to make the playoffs: "you could say 'if this one ball bounces this way we're in the playoffs,' even with today. And so you can't get caught up too much in today, and you can't get caught up too much in 'we didn't deserve this or that'. There's only so much you can control as an individual player, there are so many moments in a season out of your control that happen on the field that end up having a big impact on the final outcome of each game. And so, um...you know, at times you have to understand that it's a lot bigger than any one person."

 

There's that patented "license to lead" he was talking about back in the spring lol...

 

That's the attitude I like the least about him. Lets ignore the fact that he is paid to be the ONE person to make the plays necessary, as we already know how many of us feel about this. But if I get to build my own athlete his mind would not be as weak as Kirk's is here. Yes he can read a defense at the NFL level. Yes he can go through his progressions. But he is also severely limited by what he thinks he can do. He seems to believe more in his own limitations than anything else. Once its past what "he can do" he feels like its out of his hands. And not only does he say that, but it comes through on the field when a play breaks down and doesn't go 100% according to his plan. And its the NFL! **** aint always gonna go how you plan it. 

 

Part of this is preference; as my ideal QB if I could pick just one would be Favre. Dude would make a play where one wasn't. And thats what I want my top guy to do. But the other part of this is just his lacking in leadership. Someone has to step up and make the play and if they all shared his attitude it would never get done. And it didn't. 

 

At the end of the day I want the leader of my team to say "I could have made one more play" and not "There is only so much you can do as an individual". Thats not enough for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Llevron said:

 

My entire point is that you can't look at his record breaking contract as a sign he wasn't interested in the money just because he declined 2mil more from a ****ty team in NY. 2mil, btw, was added as his workout bonus in Minny so it's not like he turned away money. Bet that doesnt mean anything to you though huh? But he ended up making up the reported difference in contracts anyway - so that would destroy your entire point wouldn't it? 

 

Also if he was so worried about winning you will have a hard time convincing Vikes fans who already think hes a douche bag. Like how he was saying he just needs more time and smiling and laughing literal minutes after their season came to an end. 

 

You vike that??

 

Yeah I'm kind of done with this topic as well as your nasty tone  I'll just close by pointing out, again, that a fan who claims any pro athlete should not maximize his earnings because he already has made millions is the voice of an ignorant fan.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hooper said:

Good for Kirk getting his money. And he clearly thought Dan and Bruce were bad people ruining a once great franchise — he should have wanted out. 

 

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is how little credit he gave Jay. I mean even if you think Jay is a mediocre HC, no one went to bat for Cousins like Jay did. The idea that Cousins owes his career to McVay — who he thanked time and time again — omits Jay putting his job on the line to tell Snyder that it was time to move on from RG3. Hell, Jay even gave KC a second chance to win the job after he flamed out the first time around.

 

Even without McVay, one could argue that JAy got more out of Cousins with less talent than Minny did. 

 

This will ALWAYS be my #1 reason for hoping KC fails and fails miserably. No frigging loyalty..to Jay or his team mates. He wouldn't BE in the Pay Scale grid he is in now if Jay didn't stick his neck out. So..like I said..he bit off more than he could chew with his inability to deal with pressure. His 84Mil will crush him. This year's performance will exponentially increase pressure for 2019 when his Cap will keep them from fixing the OL, he is already getting blow back from his teammates and the PRESS will be on him like stink on....

 

I watched the April and July training camp press fawn on him and KC made em LOOK STUPID. Payback is coming from the press..and it won't stop unless KC produces 5-6 wins early season. With The Bears,Packers aleady contenders and the Lions getting a new OC to better Stafford..THAT IS NOT HAPPENING. Vikes HAD their chance and blew it with that contract.

Edited by The Hangman- C_Hanburger
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I'm kind of done with this topic as well as your nasty tone 

 

Whats so nasty about disagreeing with you? 

 

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll just close by pointing out, again, that a fan who claims any pro athlete should not maximize his earnings because he already has made millions is the voice of an ignorant fan.  

 

I never said he (or anyone) shouldn't. I said that was his main goal. You decided to argue that point - again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

This will ALWAYS be my #1 reason for hoping KC fails and fails miserably. No frigging loyalty..to Jay or his team mates. He wouldn't BE in the Pay Scale grid he is in now if Jay didn't stick his neck out. So..like I said..he bit off more than he could chew with his inability to deal with pressure. His 84Mil will crush him. This year's performance will exponentially increase pressure for 2019 when his Cap will keep them from fixing the OL, he is already getting blow back from his teammates and the PRESS will be on him like stink on....

 

I watched the April and July training camp press fawn on him and KC made em LOOK STUPID. Payback is coming from the press..and it won't stop unless KC produces 5-6 wins early season. With The Bears,Packers aleady contenders and the Lions getting a new OC to better Stafford..THAT IS NOW HAPPENING. Vikes HAD their chance and blew it with that contract.

Kirk is set with his fully guaranteed contract, but while he was saying this would help other players down the road is just solidified to other owners NOT to do this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hooper said:

Good for Kirk getting his money. And he clearly thought Dan and Bruce were bad people ruining a once great franchise — he should have wanted out. 

 

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is how little credit he gave Jay. I mean even if you think Jay is a mediocre HC, no one went to bat for Cousins like Jay did. The idea that Cousins owes his career to McVay — who he thanked time and time again — omits Jay putting his job on the line to tell Snyder that it was time to move on from RG3. Hell, Jay even gave KC a second chance to win the job after he flamed out the first time around.

 

Even without McVay, one could argue that JAy got more out of Cousins with less talent than Minny did. 

 

 

To be fair, Cousins did say he felt like he owed Gruden his career during the 2017 offseason. It just gets ignored by the press in favor of both the "boy wonder" narrative for McVay and the "Cousins doesn't believe in the Skins FO and coaches" narrative started after Scot M was let go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That video reiterates a huge weakness in Cousins's game. He absolutely hates throwing guys open.  I am not sure if he is too paranoid of a turnover or never has that trust in his skill position players, but that video shows a bunch of plays where Cousins should be letting go of the ball way before a WR is "open" but he holds it until the WR is near the end of a route so the defender always has time to track the play down to either stop it for a minimal gain or break up the pass play.  You will never be a big time QB in the NFL if you can't establish the trust in your skill position players to track the ball.   DeSean Jackson was the once exception to this as he had no issue letting it fly and letting D-Jax find it, but I would imagine D-Jax does that for any QB.

 

I said from the day Cousins left that the media was so inconsistent on covering him.  When he was in DC, all we ever heard was how marginal he was from the national media.  Sanz a few random voices, it was mostly about how he was a middle of the pack QB and that is why we got picked against in almost every "big game" of his tenure here because they would simply compare Cousins to the QB on the other sideline.  Then when he leaves to go to Minnesota out of nowhere our front office is trashed as if we just let the second coming of Joe Montana "get away."   

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That video shows me we should fire Manusky today and try to get the Bears D coordinator.  Bears got their secondary working like a well oiled machine.  All I saw with Kirk there is his inability to make anything happen if the play breaks down.  If he ever wants to be a great qb he needs to be able to make plays consistently when the line breaks down and that will get the defense to back off.  Everyone in the nfl knows all you gotta dobis rattle Kirk and you basically won.

 

Edit- NoCalMike said it better than me.

Edited by Redd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This season in Minnesota compares almost to a tee to his season in 2016 with the Skins.

 

2016: 4o6/606, 4917 yards, 25 TD, 12 INT, 8.1 yards per attempt, 23 sacks, 8-7-1 record

2018: 425/606, 4298 yards, 30 TD, 10 INT, 7.1 yards per attempt, 40 sacks, 8-7-1 record

 

Statistically he had his best completion %, TD and INT seasons this year as a full-time starter. But his lowest yards per attempt, second most sacks (he took 41 last season with the Skins... seems to be taking a lot of sacks lately.)

 

He fumbled 9 times. Just as he did in 2016 and 2015. The only season he had a different amount of fumbles was 2017 where he fumbled 13 freakin times. 

 

I heard multiple times that he had better weapons in Minnesota and would be much better than he was with the Skins. But that doesn't show up in the stats. Granted he had some great weapons in 2016 in DC. 

 

In 2017 he had more yards per attempt than 2018, 3 more TDs, 3 more INTs and a 7-9 record.

 

For the last three years (****, include 2015, too... so 4 years) he's been relatively consistent in his play and record. Record is never an individual statistic. But his stats are across the board so damn close over the last three years its alarming. He is who he is. Good numbers. NFL caliber starter. Not worth the crippling contract, but can't blame him for signing it. 

Edited by KDawg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...