Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

zskins

17 minutes ago, zskins said:

If Kirk was on this team this year do you honestly think we would had a chance in the playoffs and a run for the SB? 

I don’t.  While I still think the way Kirk was handled here was malpractice, its not like he was saving this season for this team.  Even if they did the right thing and locked him up a few years ago, with all things the same, this team isn’t winning anything.  With him or without him.  As it is, we’re not under the cap by much and our offensive talent is tragic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Meh. He didn’t have a good season. Their stud RB missed like 10 games, his OL was a turnstile all season and the defense regressed. 

Point remains and has always been that he’s the best QB we’ve had in 30 years and we would be a playoff team right now with Cousins added to this improved defense and running game even with the 32 gallon trash cans we have at WR. 

No ****ing way are the Skins a playoff team this year with Cousins, or any QB. The injury devastation to this team was real, and instantly sunk any chance of postseason play. And Cousins wasn’t gonna get the Skins a win over the Saints or Falcons, two bad losses that occurred before all the injuries set in. He couldn’t elevate the Vikings, how the hell is he gonna elevate a roster that’s full of 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers on offense?

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Reggie White says hi.

Great story on that. Holmgren called Reggie White after White said he was waiting for God to tell him where to sign. Holmgren left a voicemail in a deep voice saying "Reggie, this God. I want you to go to Green Bay."

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Meh. He didn’t have a good season. Their stud RB missed like 10 games, his OL was a turnstile all season and the defense regressed. 

Point remains and has always been that he’s the best QB we’ve had in 30 years and we would be a playoff team right now with Cousins added to this improved defense and running game even with the 32 gallon trash cans we have at WR. 

Cousins couldn’t get a more talented team like Minnesota into the playoffs and choked yet again in a win-and-in scenario. How the hell would he have led the ‘Skins into the postseason?

Edited by ntotoro

8-7-1 sounds very familiar. I remember when people over here touted it as a winning season. I still think that the Vikings should have stayed with their Trent Dilfer. Sometimes, the neighbor's lawn isn't greener and the other guy is a more magical fit even if he is all weedy and filled with crab grass. Could Case Keenum have repeated his magical season? Maybe not, but I think the Vikes would have done better than 8-7-1 with him.

There are some players that rise when the moment gets big. Eli is like that. Kirk, up until now, seems like the guy who gets nervous and really cautious, whenever it matters. Too afraid to make a mistake to make a play. He's got the ability to be great, but the mindset to wilt. We would have been better off with Kirk for a variety of reason: morale, rhythm with Gruden, his knack for staying upright, but in the end... I am pretty sure we'd have the same record or worse. He and Gruden, until they prove differently in the NFL, are just that guy.

20 hours ago, Llevron said:

And? Does that change the fact that he used his religion to mask his extreme greed? Dude, saying god told you to sign a long term deal to make you a multi-millionaire (when you are already a multi-millionaire) is not something someone with any kind of moral standing would do. It makes him a hypocrite and most of all a liar. Even if it not true that he values money over winning, it is perfectly fine to point out that he made this claim and question his motives behind it. No honest person would say this **** unless they were bat**** crazy. 

You dont think winning 11 games a season would get you more positive exposure than 4-6 games a season? Leading to more endorsements? Hes a business man, as evidenced by his workings here. He is totally thinking about the long game and how winning will help him make more money. Its obvious. Going from Sleep number to Nike would be a cash grab. You know this. I know I dont have to explain this to you. And if you know it its fair to assume that Kirk and his agent know it too. This may involve winning a Super Bowl. It may not. But we know ONE thing about this guy. Money speaks to him through Gods voice. And thats some powerful **** right there. 

Why this is a hill you wanna die on is the bigger question. 

No I had never heard of this dude before and got damnit he played for the Skins. Of course smh 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but it just looks like you are searching for reasons to dislike the guy.  Not sure which quote you are referring to however people with faith will often say things like  "God told me to take that job in Memphis" or "He knew I needed help and sent it to me with this promotion" or whatever.  You are interpreting his comments as greedy or whatever but I don't see them as much different than Reggie saying "God will let me know which team is in my future" or whatever he said. I'm not sure we are in the business of being critical of a man's faith and interpreting  how he should be using it.  

Your disclaimer "when he is already a millionaire" just wreaks of the same mentality that many fans use, "Hell pay me half that much and I'll sign,  Yee Haw!" That's not how it works.    How much he has already made is totally irrelevant to how much he should sign for in the future.   It had no bearing on Aaron Rodger's contract or any other athlete.  And the answer to how much he should sign for is the same for Kirk Cousins as it was for any other athlete:    For as much as was offered in a free market situation.  

As for the Vikes/Jets you can't have it both ways.  Either he signed the highest offer and didn't care about winning or he didn't.  All this projection  about future endorsements is simply a theory.  I have a theory:  A guy who disappointed in the tiny market of Minnesota won't have the same endorsement opportunities as the starting QB in the largest market in the country, regardless of record.   If you can find me a quote from any player or agent who said they signed with Minnesota instead of New York for the endorsement opportunities I would appreciate it.  

Look he obviously did not live up to his contract in Minnesota, and if that makes the anti-Kirk guys happy I get that. But this whole "Kirk is a horrible human being" for simply trying to do what virtually EVERY pro athlete has done when they have the opportunity is just over the top.   

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He ended up ranked 14th in the league in QBR and that sounds about right.    Alex was ranked 26th in QBR sounds about right

DVOA has them each ranked a few spots worse.  Kirk 19, Alex 29.  Out of 34.

Edited by Tsailand

What I found annoying is how the Kirk haters gave Alex way too much credit.  He was not nearly good enough, there were a dozen reasons they were 6-3 before we get to Alex Smith.  Not turning the ball over is not the only job function of an NFL QB, at some point you need to make plays to help your team win and he just didn't do that.  Bottom line is they panicked, again, and traded valuable assets for an over the hill QB on the downside. Again.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

What I found annoying is how the Kirk haters gave Alex way too much credit.  He was not nearly good enough, there were a dozen reasons they were 6-3 before we get to Alex Smith.  Not turning the ball over is not the only job function of an NFL QB, at some point you need to make plays to help your team win and he just didn't do that.

That sounds exactly like what Kirk Cousins did on Sunday with a win-and-in opportunity. Again.

Now that Kirk is a dismal washout in Minnesota and Alex, 6-4 record and 95 Redzone QBR btw, is possibly done for good...I wonder which (former) player will become the avatar for fan resentment, general whininess and beltway media talking points?

Fill in the blanks.

I hope <blank> has a pro bowl year, thus proving that <redskins employee> is totally incompetent and they get fired.

CAUTION:  Choose very carefully!  Because the last guy you hitched your wagon to ended up proving the exact opposite and made you look very silly.

GO!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Now that Kirk is a dismal washout in Minnesota and Alex, 6-4 record and 95 Redzone QBR btw, is possibly done for good...I wonder which (former) player will become the avatar for fan resentment, general whininess and beltway media talking points?

Fill in the blanks.

I hope <blank> has a pro bowl year, thus proving that <redskins employee> is totally incompetent and they get fired.

CAUTION:  Choose very carefully!  Because the last guy you hitched your wagon to ended up proving the exact opposite and made you look very silly.

GO!

A.  People can defend Alex including myself on this specific point which is give the dude some time in a new offense with better supporting cast and maybe he does better next year -- pre injury.  But Kirk's career, nope?  Clearly his career isn't over.  He's going to get another shot at the well.  But like I said regardless Bruce is on the ropes or at least it seems.  So does it even matter aside from people's hurt feelings that the dude is gone.  Otherwise who cares?

B.  Bruce looks like a dummy on Kirk regardless of how he performed.  If Kirk played really well granted Bruce would like like an even bigger dummy.  But no vindication for Bruce if that's the point. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  Bruce looks like a dummy on Kirk regardless of how he performed.  If Kirk played really well granted Bruce would like like an even bigger dummy.  But no vindication for Bruce if that's the point. 

Nope.  Playing hardball with Kirk and his agent, offering him a reasonable extension and calling them out on their disingenuous negotiation tactics is a huge positive point in Allen’s favor.  You’re going to have to own that and no amount of Sheehan podcasts is ever gonna change that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nope.  Playing hardball with Kirk and his agent, offering him a reasonable extension and calling them out on their disingenuous negotiation tactics is a huge positive point in Allen’s favor.  You’re going to have to own that and no amount of Sheehan podcasts is ever gonna change that.

No matter how terribly Kirk played, Bruce Allen doesn’t come out looking good.  For a number of reasons. You know this, but pretending to be sharp and full of wit is clearly of more importance to you.  

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

They played it brilliantly.  They could have him according to most for 18 million in 2016, 24 million in 2017 and better yet could have traded him either year and in 2017 according to some for at least a first round pick.   

The 2018 contract that Kirk got was all Bruce -- so secretly I really doubt that Kirk and agent despise Bruce because he made him for a short span of time the richest QB in the NFL. 

Even the few Bruce supporters (most of whom bailed on him) we have on the board agreed with the point that Bruce botched the contract earlier in the process and botched it by not trading him.  So if you have his back on the whole process, I think you are on the only one in that boat unless i am missing someone -- I haven't read every post.

Doubting Bruce is pumping his fists these days about the state of affairs that he lives in.   Right now, he's going down as some say as more of a punchline and more hated than Vinny and I never thought that would be even possible. 

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

What I’m having a difficult time understanding is why thinking Bruce is a clown and thinking Kirk is an over-valued choker have to be mutually-exclusive.

That said, this is a Kirk thread, not a Bruce/Alex thread.

The three will forever be tied at the hip when it comes to discussing this era of sad Redskins football.

There are plenty of folks that think Bruce is a clown and Kirk stinks.  Really, I think TryTheBeal is the only one left trying to salvage that Bruce played this hand well.  

“According to some”

”as some say”

”the 2018 contract was all Bruce”

That’s not owning it.  That’s flailing wildly and missing everything.

Soon...very soon, we’re going to have a new crop of recent draftees and FAs.  Diligent, committed young men that are proud to wear our colors and ready to leave it all on the field for their teammates and the fan base.  And some of us are going to have a decision to make.

Are you going to support these players and the team? Or are you going to trash them from day one and root for them to fail because you’ve chosen to wage war with team management?  

IOW, it is perfectly reasonable to recognize Snyder’s shortcomings as an owner and Allen’s missteps as GM (which are numerous) without resorting full-scale “ZOMG, LAUGHING STOCK, WORST EVER” beltway media hot takes while the team is 6-3 and in the thick of the playoff chase.  The Cousins situation exposed a great deal of petulance and entitlement within the fan base, and that was the goal of Kirk and his agent throughout the process.

But that’s over now...and the Redskins front office made the right choice.  Wasn’t easy, but they did it.  Will we?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

What I’m having a difficult time understanding is why thinking Bruce is a clown and thinking Kirk is an over-valued choker have to be mutually-exclusive.

That said, this is a Kirk thread, not a Bruce/Alex thread.

It's the easy way to say "Maybe I was wrong about Kirk but this was never about Kirk" 

It's a cheap cop out and they all know it. Same with the Alex stuff. Alex had a better season than Kirk. Period. One exceeded expectations and the other failed miserably. All the other anylitics they want to throw out are bull****. 

• Like 1

We also can't overlook the fact that Kirk upgraded when he went to Minnesota, while Alex downgraded coming to DC.  Now, of course QB play factors into how well skill position perform as well, but if you look at the 3 rosters involving these teams from 2017-2018....Washington easily has the worst roster on offense, not to mention a revolving door of injuries constantly.  

I think the true irony in this was Cousins claiming that going for a fully guaranteed contract could help establish a new league-wide trend going forward, but after Cousins showed himself to be who is he once again, it likely will have the opposite effect, at least for the near future, where front offices are weary of throwing the guaranteed money to a player unless it is a player who is already established as an All Pro and still very much in their prime. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It's the easy way to say "Maybe I was wrong about Kirk but this was never about Kirk" 

It's a cheap cop out and they all know it. Same with the Alex stuff. Alex had a better season than Kirk. Period. One exceeded expectations and the other failed miserably. All the other anylitics they want to throw out are bull****. 

I’m on record numerous times on this forum stating it is indeed more about the FO than it is about Kirk.  In fact, someone quoted that statement by me from back in August not too long ago.  And I’m sure I said the same numerous times before that.  

You so badly want this to be some type of retribution for you, that per usual, you start out okay in making a point only to drown it with BS.

I don’t even think you really believe that Alex exceeded expectations or had a good season.  I think you just think it helps you make a case.  You know deep down that it was going to nowhereville and the wheels had already fell off before his leg did.  But it helps you on your voyage, so have at it.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m on record numerous times on this forum stating it is indeed more about the FO than it is about Kirk.  In fact, someone quoted that statement by me from back in August not too long ago.  And I’m sure I said the same numerous times before that.  

You so so badly want this to be some type of retribution for you, that per usual, you start out okay in making a point only to drown it with BS.

You know I’m not directing any of my posts toward you or anyone in particular unless I quote you/them right? You don’t have to keep making this about me and you. 

Im talking about how ****ty Kirk prefromed compared to expectations and how it’s a cop out to keep bringing up Bruce and Alex to defend him. They really don’t have anything left to do with each other. Bruce was right to run Kirk out of town. And he did a year ago. It’s over now. Alex was more than good enough as a replacement but his career is over. Past that’s it’s all bull****. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

think the true irony in this was Cousins claiming that going for a fully guaranteed contract could help establish a new league-wide trend going forward, but after Cousins showed himself to be who is he once again, it likely will have the opposite effect, at least for the near future, where front offices are weary of throwing the guaranteed money to a player unless it is a player who is already established as an All Pro and still very much in their prime. 

The fact that the 6 highest paid QBs didn't make the playoffs and the biggest extensions signed (Stafford, Carr, Cousins) were all epic disasters may start to change the perception GMs have about quarterbacks that haven't proven squat.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Soon...very soon, we’re going to have a new crop of recent draftees and FAs.  Diligent, committed young men that are proud to wear our colors and ready to leave it all on the field for their teammates and the fan base.  And some of us are going to have a decision to make.

Are you going to support these players and the team? Or are you going to trash them from day one and root for them to fail because you’ve chosen to wage war with team management?

I first had to shake my head and look at the screen again to see if this was really you that posted this.  For someone that primarily posts snarky one-liners, this was quite the departure.  It's as if Bruce Allen and Tony Wylie morphed into one and stole your screenname and password.

Contrary to popular belief, many of us that believe Dan and Bruce are not capable of building a winning team or culture, do indeed root for the 'team' every weekend.  There are numerous players and coaches we do like and root for.  In fact, it's those guys we feel sorry for being drug into this dumpster fire. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The Cousins situation exposed a great deal of petulance and entitlement within the fan base, and that was the goal of Kirk and his agent throughout the process.

Every time I think we've reached the depths of this discussion, somehow some way, somebody finds a way to go even deeper.  For that I just have to tip my hat, because this is a take I've never heard nor makes any sense.  I think it's rather obvious that their goal was to let the market determine his value vs. Bruce Allen.  The market spoke and the buyer is no doubt second guessing itself, but that doesn't really have anything to do with your statement.

The Vikings have minimal cap room going forward. They are in a bad spot. Things could get worse before they get better and by that time Cousins could will be public enemy number one for Vikes fans — and he is the last person who can deal with that.