zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

37 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

But much of the Kirk love going around was really Bruce hate.

Ding, ding, ding.

I’d add to that though, that for a lot of us it was also merely the fact that we’d finally found someone that can start at QB.  And a lot of the criticism on him particularly in the beginning, like it or not, was from a certain segment of the butthurt fanbase.  It grew from there no doubt with the letdown to end 2016.  Once Bruce sold him up the river in 2017, it only created more folks that didn’t like him.  In summary, it starts and ends with Bruce, but a lot of it is just the fanbase picking sides- me included.

The best way to sum it up is that I don’t think Kirk is as good as some here seem to think I do, but I also think it’s clear that he’s nowhere near as bad as some of these folks make him out to be.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I agree. I still expect the Vikings to win 2 of their last 3 (if not all 3). The Dolphins have a winning record but it doesn't seem legit, so it could be Cousins' only win against a winning team this season. They can take the Lions, and depending upon the home field scenarios, the Bears may not have a lot of motivation to win in week 17. A record of 8-7-1 could get them into the playoffs--and to say what always seems to be said in connection to any success the Skins ever get, the Vikings would back into the playoffs only because the NFC was in a "down year" lol....

Wouldn't it be FUNNY and FUN if the Skins kept em out!! That would be a Xmas present I'd never return...I know it won't happen..needs 3 more wins

• Like 2

Bruce Allen is not asking Kirk to throw behind the line of scrimmage or fumble the ball away in the 4th quarter of close games. He also is not asking him to set the market for future QBs with a record setting deal - fully guaranteed. 

I very much wanted Kirk to not suck. But he did. And thus my dislike for him. The Bruce Allen thing is a cop out. I can dislike both. I have that level of emotional flexibility. 

Bruce Allen does not explain Vikings fans feeling the exact same way I do (or the ones on the other side of the “he’s worth it” argument)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I very much wanted Kirk to not suck.

I don’t have your whole timeline so I cant speak for you particularly.  But I’ve seen a lot of folks say that, who if they were rooting for him, we’re very, very quiet about it.  Much, much louder in their criticism.  

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t have your whole timeline so I cant speak for you particularly.  But I’ve seen a lot of folks say that, who if they were rooting for him, we’re very, very quiet about it.  Much, much louder in their criticism.  

Common sense would tell you that if I’m rooting for the teams sucsess that would include the starting quarterback. Not much of a stretch and not hard to find. You have been more than willing to pull up stuff from my previous posts before. Don’t give me that bull**** now 

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Common sense would tell you that if I’m rooting for the teams sucsess that would include the starting quarterback. Not much of a stretch and not hard to find. You have been more than willing to pull up stuff from my previous posts before. Don’t give me that bull**** now 

I was rooting for the whole team but I don’t think anyone would mistake me as a big Alex Smith fan. 

I’m not about to go back in time 3 years to appraise your authenticity, which is why I said I don’t know and used your statement as a launching point to make a broader statement.  The first I noticed you posting about Kirk was in 2017.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/78480/cousins-or-darnold-it-was-best-90-million-jets-never-spent?platform=amp

At the start of the offseason, Darnold wasn't Plan A for the Jets. No, their misguided Plan A was Cousins. When that fell through, Maccagnan quickly pivoted to the college draft after signing cheap insurance policies Josh McCownand Teddy Bridgewater (since traded). He made the St. Patrick's Day trade with the Indianapolis Colts that allowed him to jump three spots in the draft. He got lucky when Darnold fell, but luck is the residue of design, as Baseball Hall of Fame executive Branch Rickey used to say.

Darnold still is somewhat of a mystery because he has played only 10 games, but his ceiling is higher than Cousins' current level. Darnold, 21, is nine years younger and $60 million cheaper than Cousins, benefits that outweigh the risk of the unknown. It would be different if the Jets were close to contending, but they have a ways to go, and Darnold can grow up with the team.

Cousins, who went to a alleged Super Bowl contender, is having a Cousins-like year. He's putting up impressive individual numbers (24 touchdowns, 9 interceptions), but his team is hovering around mediocrity at 6-6-1. With all that talent, the Vikings have scored 282 points, only 12 more than the Jets. It's one of the reasons why coordinator John DeFilippo was fired Tuesday.

The Vikings have Cousins for two more years at $58 million. The Jets had pen in hand, ready to write the check. It's a good thing they didn't.

6 hours ago, justice98 said:

The Vikings are 3rd in pass attempts per game.  It makes sense that he has had the most pressures.  They would be better off being more balanced, with the poor oline.

I still say his team is going to make the playoffs as the 6th seed. I'll be rooting for him, unless he plays the Rams or Bears (which will probably be his first opponent).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Always so quiet in here after a big win

Most said the Vikings should rely on the run more (they did), not put much on Kirk's shoulders (they didn't), and predicted they'd win this game (they did). No one's over here because there's nothing to talk about lol...

• Haha 1

That pick 6 flipped the momentum and let the Fins back in the game, do that against a good team and the Vikes lose.

i have watched five Vikings games this year.  First of all  Cousin's protection upfront has been sketchy in four of those games.  Today it was solid.  So sometimes he has forced throws to make something happen.    And their running game? At times it has not shown up which again forces Cousin's to try to make something happen.  Today I thought the Vikings looked solid on every front.  Better protection upfront, decent blocking, holes so they ran the ball better.  IMO the weak link this year for them was the slow start of the D which gave up a lot of points in some games, and really their O line at times, and quite frankly, some very untimely missed FG's.  Today is the most consistent I have seen them on both sides of the ball.  And again I  have only watched 5 of their games.  Cousin's does his best, like many good QB's when he does not have to put the team on his back. 

• Like 1

Once again Kirk faces a week 17 win-and-in game.    This time it is against the Bears, who will be playing for a chance at a first round bye. 

The Vikings could also back into the playoffs if we beat the Eagles, but that won't happen.

Unfairly or not, if the Vikings don't get it done Sunday, the "Kirk can't win big games" narrative will continue.

7 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Unfairly or not, if the Vikings don't get it done Sunday, the "Kirk can't win big games" narrative will continue.

I hope they get in, but I think the NFC playoffs will start with 

Philly at Chicago

Seattle at Dallas

I'm rooting for LA all the way, unless they're out and Chicago is still alive.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, Tsailand said:

Once again Kirk faces a week 17 win-and-in game.    This time it is against the Bears, who will be playing for a chance at a first round bye. 

The Vikings could also back into the playoffs if we beat the Eagles, but that won't happen.

Im actually feeling like the Vikings may pull it off if they can keep the run game going. Its been much better the last 2 weeks right? This last week is going to be a good one. I wish I could watch all the games. 

• Like 1

If the Bears tank week 17 they get the Vikes at home with the starters rested.

Or they could ball out for the chance to...host the Eagles.

Pretty easy decision.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If the Bears tank week 17 they get the Vikes at home with the starters rested.

Or they could ball out for the chance to...host the Eagles.

Pretty easy decision.

Nice way to set yourself up to feel good no matter what happens 🤣

• Haha 5

As the NFL Am guys said this morning -- good challenge, the Bears arguably have the best defense in the league.

Sheehan said this week he heard Dan and Bruce really really don't want Kirk in the playoffs.  So if that's the case, I really really want Kirk in the playoffs.  So go get em Kirk.    I am for anything that shows Bruce up.

Does it happen?  Got no idea.  The Bears defense is fierce. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan and Bruce really really don't want Kirk in the playoffs.

So they'd prefer to give the Eagles a chance at back-to-back Super Bowl wins?

56 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

So they'd prefer to give the Eagles a chance at back-to-back Super Bowl wins?

apparently so, their hatred for Kirk runs that deep.    I among others said it at the time during the negotiation and that is if you read through all the back and forth -- the constant with Kirk's camp (even though Kirk was too nice to say it publicly) is they thought Bruce was a douche and the FO was dysfunctional so why should they trust their take about Kirk's worth let alone do them a favor and take a discount.   

So I don't think the point is lost on Bruce and Dan.  They feel like he rejected them.  And i think they should be rejected because Kirk turned the tables on them in the negotiation and his camp weren't shy telling people they thought the FO was dysfunctional and thereby Kirk was cool with leaving if it came to that.

As for Bruce it was pretty clear, Kirk and his camp didn't like him and the feeling was mutual.   I thought it was funny when Cooley shared a story that someone left a Kirk Cousins themed sweater in the radio studio (after Kirk left in FA) and Bruce went ape when he saw it there and asked them to get it out of the studio.  

As for Dan.  On him, I'd have to take more of a guess.  My best guess is according to some was Dan got involved in the negotiation in the Spring of 2017 and he and Kirk actually hit off some.  But it was too little too late -- and more importantly Kirk didn't like Bruce and didn't care for his tactics in the negotiation and he knew that Bruce would be the dude in charge of the team so that trumps Dan playing good cop to him.  I'd gather Dan is upset that Kirk's camp told plenty of people what they thought of his man, Bruce Allen, and Dan's courting him wasn't enough to get him to stay.

Considering both Dan and Bruce seem to have the emotional maturity of a prepubescent -- I can totally see them living and dying if Kirk makes or doesn't make the playoffs. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise