Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

zskins

On 9/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Warhead36 said:

Cousins played well. 350 yards, 2 TDs, no turnovers. Not his fault his D allowed the Bungles to score 27. Also Dalvin Cook fumbled on what would have been a game winning drive in OT.

For some reason though, there’s always something else, but the team still loses.  

I wonder why that is….

• Thumb up 2

Kirk is not a great QB but he’s a very good one. He’s not a game changing playmaker though. We still should have handled his situation better for sure. 

Regardless, Heinicke isn’t a solution and shouldn’t make anyone jealous. It’s just not there. He can backyard football some fun moments but he’s extremely limited and not a longterm option talent wise, aside from the fact that he’s always one sack away from a broken collarbone. 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Kirk is not a great QB but he’s a very good one. He’s not a game changing playmaker though. We still should have handled his situation better for sure. 

Regardless, Heinicke isn’t a solution and shouldn’t make anyone jealous. It’s just not there. He can backyard football some fun moments but he’s extremely limited and not a longterm option talent wise, aside from the fact that he’s always one sack away from a broken collarbone. 

Every QB in the league is one sack away from a broken collarbone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, Warhead36 said:

Cousins played well. 350 yards, 2 TDs, no turnovers. Not his fault his D allowed the Bungles to score 27. Also Dalvin Cook fumbled on what would have been a game winning drive in OT.

Didn't the Bucs have a lead on the Cowboys and the D proceeded to blow it late, including giving up might have been the game-winning kick? Then Brady went and lead yet another game winning drive anyway?

He's essentially led two game winning drives in back to back weeks screwed by Cook fumbling at the Bengal 38 last week and his K missing a sub 40 yarder this week.

He's a damn good QB but appears to be snakebitten by incompetence surrounding him.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's essentially led two game winning drives in back to back weeks screwed by Cook fumbling at the Bengal 38 last week and his K missing a sub 40 yarder this week.

He's a damn good QB but appears to be snakebitten by incompetence surrounding him.

Im looking California, but I’m feeling Minnesota…

Hey the NFL is in the billions of dollars business.  I'm not going to knock Kirk for getting every cent he can. He sold himself as an elite qb. The Jets were going to pay him even more but Kirk turned them down.

I'm just glad the WFT isn't responsible anymore paying him for average and below average seasons.

35 minutes ago, Redd said:

The Jets were going to pay him even more but Kirk turned them down.

People keep saying this, but that’s not what happened. They put in a better offer after he stopped taking offers. Kirk said so himself at the time. There is a link on the first few pages. 

He took the best offer he got at the time. Not that it matters much to me, results being what they are. He’s paid, team apparently can’t afford one other good football or can’t pay off the refs. Whichever lol 

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

People keep saying this, but that’s not what happened. They put in a better offer after he stopped taking offers. Kirk said so himself at the time. There is a link on the first few pages. 

He took the best offer he got at the time. Not that it matters much to me, results being what they are. He’s paid, team apparently can’t afford one other good football or can’t pay off the refs. Whichever lol 

I think it’s pretty well known now that Kirk flirted with the Jets…and the Redskins, as a flex to the Vikings.

He wanted 3/95 guaranteed and he needed one sucker.

He found it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redd said:

The Jets were going to pay him even more but Kirk turned them down.

I think it was more of McCartney getting McCown his $10M contract with the Jets and asking Kirk to turn it down for the Vikes offer. 

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

But in fairness, part of the reason, at least at the Vikings, for the surrounding cast being what it is is the Vikings had to disasemble the majority of their top-5 defense in order to shoulder the burden of Kirk's contract.

Now, I'm not going to rag on a guy for getting everything he's able to get.  And he's good enough to win with, without question.  But he's just not worth his contract.  If his contract was reasonable, which would give the Vikings maybe ~$10-15m per year back on the cap (which would still make Kirk a top 10 paid QB), they probably could have kept some additional players, and had a better surrounding cast.

There are only a few guys that you absolutely break the bank and pay whatever they want, and Kirk isn't one of those guys.

Dak isn't either, FWIW.  Dallas has to win this year, or I think next, because after that, they're going to have to blow everything up to clear cap room.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But in fairness, part of the reason, at least at the Vikings, for the surrounding cast being what it is is the Vikings had to disasemble the majority of their top-5 defense in order to shoulder the burden of Kirk's contract.

Now, I'm not going to rag on a guy for getting everything he's able to get.  And he's good enough to win with, without question.  But he's just not worth his contract.  If his contract was reasonable, which would give the Vikings maybe ~$10-15m per year back on the cap (which would still make Kirk a top 10 paid QB), they probably could have kept some additional players, and had a better surrounding cast.

There are only a few guys that you absolutely break the bank and pay whatever they want, and Kirk isn't one of those guys.

Dak isn't either, FWIW.  Dallas has to win this year, or I think next, because after that, they're going to have to blow everything up to clear cap room.  

I agree that he isn't worth the contract, but its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. You either pay for a good QB or you're stuck in mediocrity(or worse) like we have been.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:20 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’ll give Kirk this, he did his job on the final drive.

But it’s bizarre that bad things just seem to happen to his teams…

It really is. Not making a joke here, either.

I said awhile ago that--for whatever reason--the teams that Alex Smith was on kept winning, while the teams Kirk Cousins was on kept losing...and that it wasn't because Smith kept landing on teams built to win no matter how mediocre the QB play was and that Cousins kept landing on teams that would lose no matter how good the QB play was. Especially since both played for the same franchise a year apart.

• Like 1