Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Saw this on Reddit:

WFT in Kirk's 3 full years as starter: 24-23-1, 1 playoff appearance

Minnesota so far since signing Kirk: 24-22-1, 1 playoff appearance

Rofl

Except he is making more money and getting more hate from the Vikings fans....lol

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Except he is making more money and getting more hate from the Vikings fans....lol

Hey he robbed us too his last 2 years here.  I still get mad at franchising him twice. 

At least Nick Foles knows what to do when he's handed a Superbowl team.

Edited by Redd
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kirk Cousins is 50-51-2 as a starter.  Never been seriously injured.

Remarkably durable.  Remarkably consistent.

Who is his next team?

I’d be willing to bet the 49ers after one more year.  He’s a perfect fit for what Kyle wants to do.  And he’s better than Garapolo.  And gets hurt less.

The question will be the money.  They probably won’t pay him as much as the Vikings because they are not going to dismantle the defense. 

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d be willing to bet the 49ers after one more year.  He’s a perfect fit for what Kyle wants to do.  And he’s better than Garapolo.  And gets hurt less.

The question will be the money.  They probably won’t pay him as much as the Vikings because they are not going to dismantle the defense. 

How about the Pats ?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This will mesh nicely with Kyle Shanahan’s career .452 winning percentage.

• Haha 6
5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

On the low the way the run offense and the way they use talent you can probably get away with paying him. 

Think about the way Kyle gets WRs open and RBs into lanes. You can work with just about anyone. And anyone with a level of talent excels. His price wouldn’t be nearly as prohibitive. But at the same time, you can get a second year player to run that systems. Half field, high low reads......you don’t need to pay a guy that much in that system. That’s why it works. Easy offense at every level. That’s why it made me so mad that we never got it working here. We could have spent literally all our money on D and been good. 

18 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This will mesh nicely with Kyle Shanahan’s career .452 winning percentage.

Yeah, I think Kyle is actually a really good coach.  The one year he had a healthy starting caliber QB, he got his team to the SB.  He took over a really bad team, had them competitive quickly.  In his second year, Garapolo got hurt, in the third they made the SB, and then he's been playing QB rotulet this year.  

I actually think Kirk would be a perfect fit with him.  A lot like the way Matt Ryan was in Atlanta.  Ryan is a very good but not great QB, but he's extremely durable.  And they led the league in scoring.

Kyle needs a competent QB, not a great QB, to make his system work.  And keeping him healthy would be a good thing.

The fly in the ointment, though, might be if SF somehow gets Ryan from Atlanta and pushes Jimmy G. out the door.  Which is what I would do.  Because we KNOW what Matt Ryan can do in that system, and he performed at a really high level.  If SF does that, then I really don't know where Kirk might end up. Probably whichever bad team is willing to pay the most.  

14 hours ago, Llevron said:

On the low the way the run offense and the way they use talent you can probably get away with paying him. 

Think about the way Kyle gets WRs open and RBs into lanes. You can work with just about anyone. And anyone with a level of talent excels. His price wouldn’t be nearly as prohibitive. But at the same time, you can get a second year player to run that systems. Half field, high low reads......you don’t need to pay a guy that much in that system. That’s why it works. Easy offense at every level. That’s why it made me so mad that we never got it working here. We could have spent literally all our money on D and been good. 

That's a bit of an exaggeration.  You need a competent QB, and at least 2 really solid weapons.  You can be somewhat rotational with RBs, but having a good RB is important.  You need at least one good WR and a good TE. OL is also really important, but they go after the more athletic OL, which tend to be less of a commodity, for some reason.

The thing is, Shanahan had the pieces in place here minus the QB in 2011, for the most part, offensively.  Then they got Griffin, and it worked really well for a season.  The reason it failed was 2 fold: 1. Griffin and the owner.  2. Haslett and the defense.  

On 12/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, Llevron said:

That’s why it made me so mad that we never got it working here. We could have spent literally all our money on D and been good. 

Yet, somehow Shanahan always had the talent to hire horrible DCs and end up with bottom 5 defenses. That's mainly why he was canned in Denver.

• Thanks 2

It's too soon, it's only been 3 years. He needs a little more time to gel with the offense. And that's not even mentioning how he's only been a starting quarterback for 6 years.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 4