Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

From a purely statistical standpoint, Kirk is gonna have a pretty consistent and impressive run when his career is over.  

I feel like I had to emphasize that before somebody starts in with the "yeah, but.....", and then hits me with a list of things he doesnt do.  lol

Edited by justice98
11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The sin of the entire Cousins situation was in the off-season leading up to the 2016 season when they didn't work out a long-term deal with him, and franchised a 10-15 QB for top 5 money. 

Cousins has stated that that in 2016 offseason there was only going to be one of two scenarios: he gets a fully-guaranteed 3-yr contract from the Skins or he forces them to franchise tag him. He wasn't gonna accept anything other than those two scenarios. Skins (including Scot M) balked at giving him a fully guaranteed contract after one good season, which he has also stated he didn't blame them for doing so. I don't think it had ever been done before and if Brees, Brady, Wilson and Rodgers had not received a fully-guaranteed contract I'm not seeing Cousins being the first one to do it after one season as starter.

So for me, Bruce didn't mess up the negotiations. Where he messed up was in not trading him in 2017. Bruce's hard-head and arrogance got in the way of doing what should have been done.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, justice98 said:

I feel like I had to emphasize that before somebody starts in with the "yeah, but.....", and then hits me with a list of things he doesnt do.  lol

He does those consistently as well....lol

The equation is not Alex vs Kirk. The equation is the Vikings were a perennial playoff team before Kirk and was in the NFC Championship game right before acquiring Cousins.

Washington was not quite, but close to a. .500 team with Kirk. We have been below that since Kirk’s departure. 

So, the Vikings are worse for having acquired Cousins and we are worse for losing him. 

Lose:Lose. 

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The equation is not Alex vs Kirk. The equation is the Vikings were a perennial playoff team before Kirk and was in the NFC Championship game right before acquiring Cousins.

Washington was not quite, but close to a. .500 team with Kirk. We have been below that since Kirk’s injury

So, the Vikings are worse for having acquired Cousins and we are worse for losing him. 

Lose:Lose. 

I think you meant Alex's injury lol...

43 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

With both Tampa and Arizona fading a bit,   there's a chance for the Vikings to get a playoff birth. All they have to do is probably win all 5 of their remaining games. Maybe, 4 out of 5. Anyone really expect Kirk to do that?

Hell, there's a mathematical chance of the WFT getting a wildcard spot lol...2020, man.

@Califan007 the thing is they ended up giving him 2 years fully guaranteed anyway at a higher cap number than they would have if they would have just negotiated a lower annual salary and signed him to the guaranteed deal.  The thing is they didn’t have an answer for the next 2-3 years anyway, so it really was kindof the same.  

The other option would have been to just let him test free agency ans see if he got what he wanted elsewhere.  

Going the franchise tag route was always going to lead to disaster.  

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Tsailand said:

He would already be our career passing yards leader if we had kept him.

I remember the good ol' days when we fans cared about post-season achievements and Super Bowls far more than player stats.

43 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Califan007 the thing is they ended up giving him 2 years fully guaranteed anyway at a higher cap number than they would have if they would have just negotiated a lower annual salary and signed him to the guaranteed deal.  The thing is they didn’t have an answer for the next 2-3 years anyway, so it really was kindof the same.  

The other option would have been to just let him test free agency ans see if he got what he wanted elsewhere.  

Going the franchise tag route was always going to lead to disaster.  

That's why I said they should have traded him. They did try and negotiate a lower annual salary but were still against fully guaranteeing the contract after just one year starting. I can't fault them for that. Even though Cousins and his agent never said directly to Bruce that it's either fully guaranteed or the franchise tag, Bruce should have been abl e t see the writing on the wall and traded him for some serious draft capital.

Edited by Califan007
46 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Yeah I remember 1991 too.

The Vikings and their QB are closer to another Super Bowl appearance than we are. 

I am so envious of the Vikings having 1 more win than a team that went through 3 QBs in 10 weeks. It must feel so awesome.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
8 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Yeah I remember 1991 too.

The Vikings and their QB are closer to another Super Bowl appearance than we are. 

No, they're not. We've got a much better shot at making the playoffs than they do. :silly:

• Like 3

WFT isn't winning a playoff game. 

Now look at the future: The most important piece in the NFL is a franchise QB. 

The Vikings have a franchise QB signed through 2022.  Because they are a competent organization, and because Kirk likes them, they will extend him again before 2022.  Barring injury, he could play for them through 2025 or beyond, and they will have leisure to draft and groom their next franchise QB.

The Redskins have Haskins, Alex Smith, and an owner who will meddle with the next QB pick, and then meddle with the coaching staff.  He has done this with every QB and every QB pick for the last 20 years, and it has failed every time.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

WFT isn't winning a playoff game. 

Now look at the future: The most important piece in the NFL is a franchise QB. 

The Vikings have a franchise QB signed through 2022.  Because they are a competent organization, and because Kirk likes them, they will extend him again before 2022.  Barring injury, he could play for them through 2025 or beyond, and they will have leisure to draft and groom their next franchise QB.

The Redskins have Haskins, Alex Smith, and an owner who will meddle with the next QB pick, and then meddle with the coaching staff.  He has done this with every QB and every QB pick for the last 20 years, and it has failed every time.

So if I'm reading you right, the Vikings will win a SB before the WFT because neither team has a QB that will take them to the SB, but at least the Vikings can spend time developing a young QB and not press him into action too early because they have Cousins to help make the losing more entertaining while they do.

• Haha 6

Cousins can absolutely take a team to the Super Bowl.  Worse QBs have in just the last 10 years.  Just because he's not Pat Mahomes on a rookie contract doesn't mean he has zero chance of winning a ring.  That's what being a franchise QB means -- you have a chance.

WFT doesn't even have a QB that can stay healthy, let alone a franchise QB.

• Like 4