zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

18 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Just for the record...alot of us aren't haters...we're realists...

Ya Right GIF - YaRight IAgree OhYes GIFs

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Haha 4

Just now, Xameil said:

Lol...just like your hero...you crack under pressure and fumble the attempt at being a star...

Ya Right GIF - YaRight IAgree OhYes GIFs

• Haha 1

Yay...finally got it...

BTW..you should do some homework and see..I was a HUGE supporter of KC. I still wish him well. It's just his stats dont lie...

His W-L record against strong teams is staggering. His W-L record on prime time games is shockingly bad. His W-L record of being able to carry a team is just...you get the point. 

I'm actually happy for him that he is on a team that has a RB that can carry him and receivers that can bail him out

Just now, Xameil said:

Yay...finally got it...

BTW..you should do some homework and see..I was a HUGE supporter of KC. I still wish him well. It's just his stats dont lie...

His W-L record against strong teams is staggering. His W-L record on prime time games is shockingly bad. His W-L record of being able to carry a team is just...you get the point. 

I'm actually happy for him that he is on a team that has a RB that can carry him and receivers that can bail him out

Blah Hands GIF - Blah Hands GIFs

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xameil said:

W-L record

QB W-L isn't a good stat.

To be fair, he has choked in some clutch moments.  Not just individual plays, but over entire games.  Like week 17 against the Giants in 2016, or week 17 against the Bears last year.

12 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

To be fair, he has choked in some clutch moments.  Not just individual plays, but over entire games.  Like week 17 against the Giants in 2016, or week 17 against the Bears last year.

Is it really choking though, when you are playing monster defensive lines that are destroying your protection, and you're a rather non-mobile QB?

Both Kirk's strength and weakness is that he's a pocket passer.  He's never evolved his game to maneuver around and make plays with his legs when teams pin their ears back.  That's pretty much the only thing stopping him from being elite and it's not something he's just going to all the sudden start doing now, so he definitely is who he is.  I just think the choking stuff is overblown and that it really boils down to him not being able to beat teams that can pin their ears back and get to him early and often.  If you're going to win with Kirk, you've got to be able to counter that and make teams back off a bit.  A healthy Dalvin Cook and a heavy dosage of playaction and bootlegs should be the counter they need.  But if they sit there and try to make him take 7 step drops against guys like Mack, they will continue to feast and folks will continue to party in this thread.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

QB W-L isn't a good stat.

I agree with you W-L is a terrible stat to judge a QB on. But, it is what it is. He has also shown that his disappearing act and choking has carried over to the Vikings. Let's see if his surge after being called out by teammates continues with actual football teams instead of the pop Warner teams he has recently faced...

The Redskins’ quarterback situation remains a disaster, two years after Kirk Cousins left

The Washington Redskins famously let Kirk Cousins, a three-year starter and Pro Bowl nominee in 2016, walk in free agency last season. Since his departure, the team has trotted out a parade of starting quarterbacks, from Alex Smith and Colt McCoy to Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson to Case Keenum and rookie Dwayne Haskins. And, taken as a whole, the results have been disastrous.

As a group, Washington’s quarterbacks have produced a 79.3 passer rating since Cousins departed for Minnesota last offseason. Only the Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills have gotten worse performance from their quarterbacks over that span. However, all three of those teams have drafted, and are now starting, their potential young franchise quarterbacks.

Image without a caption

The Redskins? They selected Haskins in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft, which prompted some twinges of optimism. However, midway through his rookie year, with the team going nowhere, he remains relegated to backup duty in favor of Keenum, and his coach’s words hardly inspire faith.

“In all fairness, if we say hey, we are going to put Dwayne in there and see how he does, in some respects, he needs a little bit more work,” interim Redskins coach Bill Callahan said on Friday. “Time is invaluable where he can sit back and learn from quarterbacks like Case and Colt [McCoy] as well as players like Alex [Smith]. It is a fine line. We are trying to win games still. Our dynamic is tough, and it is challenging.”

It’s fair to ask what, exactly, Haskins could be learning. Keenum has been the 19th most valuable passer of 2019, per ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating, performing well enough for an NFL team to win less than 50 percent of its games, a generous assessment considering his actual record as Washington’s starter is 1-6. McCoy only has one start this season, which earned him a 23.9 QBR, meaning a team would be projected to go 4-12 with him under center for a full season with similar performance. McCoy’s QBR was 38.8 in three games played last season, which isn’t much better. And even Smith’s QBR last year was 46.9, the eighth worst among all qualified passers.

In a league that is becoming more and more dependent on the pass, these are all disturbing data points for Washington. Over the past two seasons, a team passer rating of 70 or less resulted in a win-loss record of 12-40-0, or a .231 win rate. A team passer rating of between 70 and 80 earned a 21-42 combined record (.333) and a team passer rating in excess of 100 produced a combined record 134-70-1 (.654). A team has needed its quarterback to produce a passer rating of 90 or higher to get its record over .500. Washington’s QB rating over that span, remember, is under 80.

Image without a caption

The smart move would be to get Haskins as many starter reps as possible to prepare him for future. After all, how much worse could he do for a team that has gone 1-7 with Keenum and McCoy under center? But there remain questions about his readiness, and what happens if he doesn’t pan out?

Washington could look to free agency for help, but the prospects there could be slim. The list of potential unrestricted free agents quarterbacks available in 2020 include Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Terry Bridgewater, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota.

Brees and Brady are not coming to Washington. Manning seems likely to retire. Rivers (92.5 passer rating) would get the Redskins past the passer rating benchmark discussed above, but he also turns 38 in December. Bridgewater did a fine job replacing the injured Brees in New Orleans this season, but the talent pool for the Saints is vastly superior to that of Washington. Winston is hardly an upgrade, with an 82.1 passer rating in 2019, and Mariota was recently benched in favor of Ryan Tannehill. Washington could imagine a trade for Nick Foles or perhaps Cam Newton but that scenario almost certainly relies on parting with draft assets, the exact opposite strategy the Redskins should be taking.

Perhaps Washington will try to draft another quarterback in 2020. Finishing with one of the NFL’s two worst records this season would earn the Redskins the option to select either Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa or Oregon’s Justin Herbert, two highly coveted college quarterbacks, in the 2020 draft. Any pursuit of wins, however, would have to cease immediately. The Redskins are one of five teams with either one or zero wins in 2019 and would draft at No. 3 if the season ended today. The two teams in “front” of them, the Miami Dolphins and Cincinnati Bengals, are looking for their next franchise quarterback, too.

Even if the Redskins did finally find their franchise quarterback for 2020, protecting him would remain an issue. Washington’s offensive line is one of the worst pass-blocking units in the NFL this year, according to the game charters at Pro Football Focus. Right guard Brandon Scherff has dealt with injuries but has graded out as an average guard, just 27th out of 59 qualified guards. Left guard Ereck Flowers ranks 55th at the position. Center Chase Roullier ranks 18th out of 32 centers graded. Right tackle Morgan Moses (33rd out of 60 graded tackles) and left tackle Donald Penn (42nd) are also below average. Trent Williams, a seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle, has held out all season and the team reportedly will (finally) field offers for their embattled offensive lineman this week.

Finding players for their quarterback to throw to is yet another issue. Rookie Terry McLaurin has been stellar but Paul Richardson Jr. and Trey Quinn rank 54th and 66th, respectively, this season out of 70 qualified receivers, per Pro Football Focus.

No matter what, the Redskins should not be in the business of winning games this season. They have virtually no chance at a playoff spot and each win only erodes their potentially lofty draft position. Instead, they should take inventory of the young players on the roster, jettison the veteran players for more draft picks and try to build from the ashes. And figuring out whether they have, or still need, their quarterback of the future should be an immediate priority.

• Like 1

The same people who thought Alex Smith was a "leader" and a "gamer" who led the Redskins to 6-3 last year are the same ones who will make excuses as to why the Vikings being 6-2 right now is the result of everyone other than Kirk.  It's comical at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Is it really choking though, when you are playing monster defensive lines that are destroying your protection, and you're a rather non-mobile QB?

Hes not immobile. You are supposed to be a fan of the guy at least know his skill set. 

23 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Hes not immobile. You are supposed to be a fan of the guy at least know his skill set. 

He's not terribly slow, but he's not evasive and that's pretty much his Achilles heel, and why he has bad games against teams that can pin their ears back.  it's primarily why he looked so bad here when Bob Kelly was posing no threat to run it.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He's not terribly slow, but he's not evasive and that's pretty much his Achilles heel, and why he has bad games against teams that can pin their ears back.  it's primarily why he looked so bad here when Bob Kelly was posing no threat to run it.

Hes above average in mobility when compared with other Qbs, especially when compared to ones that can throw it as well as he can. Like, yea hes less mobile than a few guys but most of them cant sling it like he can when hes on. I dunno, I dont really see that as a problem for him. If anything hes unwilling to improvise which we be both saying but using different terms for. Ill give you that, if thats what you mean. Off scheduled plays are def not his thing. But hes pretty good when rolling out and when he keeps it hes sneaky fast and hes prepared to use the defensive players mindset of "cant hit this guy too hard" to his advantage. 

Eww you made me defend him. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Hes above average in mobility when compared with other Qbs, especially when compared to ones that can throw it as well as he can. Like, yea hes less mobile than a few guys but most of them cant sling it like he can when hes on. I dunno, I dont really see that as a problem for him. If anything hes unwilling to improvise which we be both saying but using different terms for. Ill give you that, if thats what you mean. Off scheduled plays are def not his thing. But hes pretty good when rolling out and when he keeps it hes sneaky fast and hes prepared to use the defensive players mindset of "cant hit this guy too hard" to his advantage. 

Eww you made me defend him. 

That's more what I was getting at.  The common denominator in all the games I've seen where he 'poops the bed' so to speak, it's when defenses are relentlessly attacking him and he doesn't help himself by not being the type of player to take off running or make something happen off schedule.  

He's definitely fast enough on boots and stuff like that but that's where he thrives because he can set and throw.  

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's more what I was getting at.  The common denominator in all the games I've seen where he 'poops the bed' so to speak, it's when defenses are relentlessly attacking him and he doesn't help himself by not being the type of player to take off running or make something happen off schedule.  

He's definitely fast enough on boots and stuff like that but that's where he thrives because he can set and throw.  

Ah ok. We are saying the same thing, then. My b

43 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Someone has discovered gifs!

Only two of them so far though lol

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Let the good times roll.

I know this is intended to be humorous.  But Doctson did catch the greatest pass in Kirk’s professional history.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I know this is intended to be humorous.  But Doctson did catch the greatest pass in Kirk’s professional history.

He probably also dropped the greatest pass in Kirk's professional history so it balances out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

He probably also dropped the greatest pass in Kirk's professional history so it balances out.

The best is yet to come.  One thing we all surely know about “gods plan” is that God has a tremendous sense of humor.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:54 AM, Xameil said:

Yeah especially all the passes Digg's keeps dropping on him right?

31 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Yeah especially all the passes Digg's keeps dropping on him right?

Yeah...I guess that happens extremely often...I guess in your eyes, his receivers suck and hes the reason they are always referred to as great

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Yeah...I guess that happens extremely often...I guess in your eyes, his receivers suck and hes the reason they are always referred to as great

Diggs absolutely can be great but he really has had some very costly turnovers and drops this season.

Says angry fantasy owner.

• Haha 1