zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Damn you Kirk!

 

1918257839_Annotation2019-10-24231115.thumb.png.80e688cf19631091ef13a7628642d2f3.png

 

 

I feel that.  Something just told me, the Skins would not want to lose to Kirks arm and would defend accordingly.  But I started him anyway.  Although, I picked up Dan Bailey last minute and got 16 out of him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this would be a low scoring game and that Zimmer would prefer to grind out the clock with a lead.  I predicted 24-10 and it ended 19-9.  Zimmer is running Cook to death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Somehow Kirk manages to disappoint even in a game where he plays well and his team wins easily.

 

These two "Redskins Revenge" games have been a real disappointment.

 

 

My crow stand went belly-up lol 😐...

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've avoided this thread regardless of highs or lows because just like I said last year, Kirk to me is only relevant if his performance effects Bruce's status.  And considering Bruce looks to be on the ropes with or without Kirk, it's made Kirk at least in my book borderline irrelevant.

 

Obviously some here despise the dude and or really really hope he does poorly.   My best shot of relating to it is I was never a big Orkapo guy.  I thought he didn't show up in division games among other things.  I lost interest in him though when he left.  I couldn't say though the Redskins ended up better off with him gone because they never replaced his production. 

 

To me Kirk has been similar.  He definitely needs to prove he can win the big ones at the end of the season and that remains to be seen.  But he's a mile IMO better than most of the guys we've had before or since.  He's playing for a good team.  We are left with a bad team and the most expensive offense in the NFL including if I recall at QB and our offense mostly stinks.  Maybe we will score a TD or two again this season?  😀 

 

So for the moment the joke is on us IMO.   Hopefully Haskins changes that narrative.  Otherwise we are back in deep QB purgatory. And call me crazy but I'd rather have a QB who is good albeit with flaws versus then going back to sucking with the Ramseys, Campbells, Friez, Keenum types.  So I hope Haskins is the answer. 😀

 

 

I think this article captures the Kirk thing well, caters to both the critics and the ones who wanted to keep Kirk.  For me oddly them trading Trent would make me feel better about Kirk because it would show they at least learned something from it.  Like Kirk or dislike him -- if they knew he wasn't coming back, then trade the dude.  Keim in his last podcast added some information on that front that I didn't know.  He said people in the FO thought Kirk wasn't coming back (that part I've heard before) and wanted to trade him.  But it was Bruce (this part I haven't heard before) who pushed that Kirk's mind could be changed and pushed to hold on to the dude.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-kirk-cousins-bowl-really-was-a-matchup-of-one-team-with-title-hopes-and-the-redskins/2019/10/24/6d56ea00-f688-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

MINNEAPOLIS — It was a night neither for revenge nor regret. It was just a ragged Thursday football game featuring co-workers turned strangers, Kirk Cousins and the surging Minnesota Vikings vs. the gutter-dwelling Washington Redskins. With the two sides going in completely different directions, you almost had to be reminded that this affair was supposed to mean something more than a way to lapse time.

 

No revenge, no regret, definitely no reminiscing. Cousins, the former Washington quarterback, is in a much better place. That is painfully clear. But he is not the quarterback who got away. On the other hand, he is also not the contractual bullet that Washington dodged. He’s the same eye-of-the-beholder guy he has always been, and his ups and downs have continued with the Vikings. Kirk is Kirk. Or, if you’re clueless Bruce Allen, Kurt is Kurt. And for certain, the Redskins are the Redskins.

 

On this night, a 19-9 Minnesota victory at U.S. Bank Stadium, the takeaway shouldn’t have been as basic as trying to declare a definitive winner and loser in the bygone saga. That will always be a nuanced debate. But considering what the Redskins have become and how they failed to sell high and maximize Cousins’s value when they had the chance, the debacle should have a different legacy: It represents the half-in, wishy-washy unsophisticated manner in which they evaluate talent.

 

The Redskins don’t know when to act. They never know when to act. Of course, hindsight makes that even clearer now, but it should’ve been clear then. The front office was uncertain about Cousins after his breakthrough 2015 season, which was understandable given his meteoric rise. So Washington put the franchise tag on him for 2016. All good. But it meant that after the 2016, the organization needed to make a clear decision: extension or trade when it’s highly possible that the return could have been multiple high draft picks. Instead, it became the first team to franchise tag a quarterback twice.

 

You know the rest of the sad story — the bad luck with Alex Smith included — and we can revisit some of it in a minute. But it’s relevant now because Washington is still on the same indecisive, destructive path. The front office, led by Allen, learned nothing from the irresponsible way it handled the Cousins conundrum.

 

The Redskins are shuffling their feet and publicly refusing to consider trading disgruntled left tackle Trent Williams before next week’s trade deadline. The Williams situation is sensitive and complicated, but Allen’s pettiness makes it worse. There is also diminishing hope that they can come to terms with Pro Bowl guard Brandon Scherff on a contract extension. They’re all over the place on when to turn the offense over to rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, but that might have changed Thursday night because Case Keenum left at halftime with concussion-like symptoms.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

 Zimmer is running Cook to death.

Probably a reason for that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Probably a reason for that...

Yeah, because it works.

 

Not sure how the Vikings are able to put together something that works around that albatross of a QB contract.  I thought that was impossible.  Or just impossible for Bruce?  Because we have more money delegated to that position and offense in general and we've scored 26 points over the last 3 weeks, with 17 coming against a JUCO team.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, because it works.

 

Not sure how the Vikings are able to put together something that works around that albatross of a QB contract.  I thought that was impossible. 

 

Clearly not. But they had the money and the squad at the time already. I want to see them have to keep the team around him and pay him at the same time. They clearly know something the redskins dont, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I want to see them have to keep the team around him and pay him at the same time

 

Plenty of tricks can be done to push the cap hit years into the future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

 

Plenty of tricks can be done to push the cap hit years into the future.

 

 

Right but that only really works if you can come to an agreement with the QB right? (Im asking cause I dont really know for real) Kirk seems to understand that as long as there is no good back up plan, he has ALL the leverage. I expect him to use it like he did with us. 

 

But then many he just wanted to **** the Redskins. In which case **** him even more (but I get it, they were jerks to him. GM couldnt even say his name correctly) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, because it works.

 

Not sure how the Vikings are able to put together something that works around that albatross of a QB contract.  I thought that was impossible.  Or just impossible for Bruce?  Because we have more money delegated to that position and offense in general and we've scored 26 points over the last 3 weeks, with 17 coming against a JUCO team.

 

People could goof on Kirk for being a loser or whatever floats their boat.  To each their own on that.  But IMHO Kirk is the winner thus far.  Bruce made him the 27 million dollar man.  He's on a 6-2 team.  He has the #1 QB rating in the league right now.  Some can say empty stats, Kirk is the loser.  Well he's a richer dude on a winning club -- and he witnessed right in front of his own eyes yesterday his former team's struggles including at the Qb spot.  While his foe, Bruce Allen has become a national punchline.  I suspect Kirk is sleeping very well at night and thus far has gotten the last laugh.   

 

I agree with the Kirk critics that he needs to show he can win the big game and will see how he finishes this season.   He needs to get over the hump and if he doesn't it will dog his career.  Is he Aaron Rodgers?  No way.  I never thought he was.  But in the context of Dan's Redskins he's about as good as they've been able to develop or obtain.   If we were the Packers or Colts or name that team with multiple elite level QBs over time, I'd likely yawn over Kirk.  But for a team with all the busts and below average QB players that has really defined this team through this day, Kirk is our Peyton in that context.  

 

Talking purely from a Redskins point of view, the contract issues (coupled with not trading Kirk) IMO exposed Bruce's ineptness as a negotiator and at the moment its looking like another chapter in the 30-30 ESPN special we will likely see one day about how Dan has flubbed the QB position in every way imaginable.   My favorite story about Dan is still the one about him supposedly having a man crush on Brady Quinn but it took Redskins scouts a week to talk him out of it. :mellow:

 

I am hoping Haskins finally breaks the curse at the QB position.  And if he doesn't, wow, what a crazy-depressing ride Dan's era has been with the QB ineptness leading the dance IMO.   I wasn't a big Keenum guy before this season but am surprised he's been this bad.   So to me its all riding on Haskins -- fingers crossed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Solid screen pass game from Kirk last night.

I think that was just a symbolic diss to Bruce and Dan, that he can also Alex a team to victory.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Llevron said:

 

Right but that only really works if you can come to an agreement with the QB right? (Im asking cause I dont really know for real) Kirk seems to understand that as long as there is no good back up plan, he has ALL the leverage. I expect him to use it like he did with us. 

 

But then many he just wanted to **** the Redskins. In which case **** him even more (but I get it, they were jerks to him. GM couldnt even say his name correctly) 

Lets face it he has all the money he could ever need at this point. If he still does not have a championship and that is important to him, he can restructure, take less, to keep a good team around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 7:35 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I've avoided this thread regardless of highs or lows because just like I said last year, Kirk to me is only relevant if his performance effects Bruce's status.  And considering Bruce looks to be on the ropes with or without Kirk, it's made Kirk at least in my book borderline irrelevant.

 

Obviously some here despise the dude and or really really hope he does poorly.   My best shot of relating to it is I was never a big Orkapo guy.  I thought he didn't show up in division games among other things.  I lost interest in him though when he left.  I couldn't say though the Redskins ended up better off with him gone because they never replaced his production. 

 

To me Kirk has been similar.  He definitely needs to prove he can win the big ones at the end of the season and that remains to be seen.  But he's a mile IMO better than most of the guys we've had before or since.  He's playing for a good team.  We are left with a bad team and the most expensive offense in the NFL including if I recall at QB and our offense mostly stinks.  Maybe we will score a TD or two again this season?  😀 

 

So for the moment the joke is on us IMO.   Hopefully Haskins changes that narrative.  Otherwise we are back in deep QB purgatory. And call me crazy but I'd rather have a QB who is good albeit with flaws versus then going back to sucking with the Ramseys, Campbells, Friez, Keenum types.  So I hope Haskins is the answer. 😀

 

 

I think this article captures the Kirk thing well, caters to both the critics and the ones who wanted to keep Kirk.  For me oddly them trading Trent would make me feel better about Kirk because it would show they at least learned something from it.  Like Kirk or dislike him -- if they knew he wasn't coming back, then trade the dude.  Keim in his last podcast added some information on that front that I didn't know.  He said people in the FO thought Kirk wasn't coming back (that part I've heard before) and wanted to trade him.  But it was Bruce (this part I haven't heard before) who pushed that Kirk's mind could be changed and pushed to hold on to the dude.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-kirk-cousins-bowl-really-was-a-matchup-of-one-team-with-title-hopes-and-the-redskins/2019/10/24/6d56ea00-f688-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

MINNEAPOLIS — It was a night neither for revenge nor regret. It was just a ragged Thursday football game featuring co-workers turned strangers, Kirk Cousins and the surging Minnesota Vikings vs. the gutter-dwelling Washington Redskins. With the two sides going in completely different directions, you almost had to be reminded that this affair was supposed to mean something more than a way to lapse time.

 

No revenge, no regret, definitely no reminiscing. Cousins, the former Washington quarterback, is in a much better place. That is painfully clear. But he is not the quarterback who got away. On the other hand, he is also not the contractual bullet that Washington dodged. He’s the same eye-of-the-beholder guy he has always been, and his ups and downs have continued with the Vikings. Kirk is Kirk. Or, if you’re clueless Bruce Allen, Kurt is Kurt. And for certain, the Redskins are the Redskins.

 

On this night, a 19-9 Minnesota victory at U.S. Bank Stadium, the takeaway shouldn’t have been as basic as trying to declare a definitive winner and loser in the bygone saga. That will always be a nuanced debate. But considering what the Redskins have become and how they failed to sell high and maximize Cousins’s value when they had the chance, the debacle should have a different legacy: It represents the half-in, wishy-washy unsophisticated manner in which they evaluate talent.

 

The Redskins don’t know when to act. They never know when to act. Of course, hindsight makes that even clearer now, but it should’ve been clear then. The front office was uncertain about Cousins after his breakthrough 2015 season, which was understandable given his meteoric rise. So Washington put the franchise tag on him for 2016. All good. But it meant that after the 2016, the organization needed to make a clear decision: extension or trade when it’s highly possible that the return could have been multiple high draft picks. Instead, it became the first team to franchise tag a quarterback twice.

 

You know the rest of the sad story — the bad luck with Alex Smith included — and we can revisit some of it in a minute. But it’s relevant now because Washington is still on the same indecisive, destructive path. The front office, led by Allen, learned nothing from the irresponsible way it handled the Cousins conundrum.

 

The Redskins are shuffling their feet and publicly refusing to consider trading disgruntled left tackle Trent Williams before next week’s trade deadline. The Williams situation is sensitive and complicated, but Allen’s pettiness makes it worse. There is also diminishing hope that they can come to terms with Pro Bowl guard Brandon Scherff on a contract extension. They’re all over the place on when to turn the offense over to rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, but that might have changed Thursday night because Case Keenum left at halftime with concussion-like symptoms.

I was never a Jason Campbell guy or Orapko guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Lets face it he has all the money he could ever need at this point. If he still does not have a championship and that is important to him, he can restructure, take less, to keep a good team around him.

 

Yea I’m sure he could but he had close to 50 mil when he signed for the 84 mil. How much money can you put in a collection plate anyway? 

 

I really just wanna see what happens. That’s as far as my curiosity goes at this point. He’s a fine qb. That’s not really my thing anymore with him. Now I’m just curious how and if they put it together. In the office and on the field. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I was never a Jason Campbell guy or Orapko guy.

 

I was sold early on Campbell because I trusted Gibbs at the time who seemed enamored with him.  But over time, you can tell he didn't have "it".  As for Orakpo, he was a pretty hyped college prospect who never lived up to the hype.  He wasn't a bust though either.  Good player who never became great.  I'd be annoyed though as to how he'd disappear in division games.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think that was just a symbolic diss to Bruce and Dan, that he can also Alex a team to victory.

 

 Compton seemed to be having fun with the screens criticism.   Kirk to me is a good to very good QB.  He has gotten the last laugh on the Redskins considering where he is at and his former team is.  He will have bad games like just about any QB but he needs to stop the narrative that the bad games happen late in the season for him. 

 

I think for Kirk as an individual, he needs to carry the performance to the end of the season.  Bad games are fine.  But not the money games that are do or die for the playoffs.   Otherwise he will be dogged kind of like A-Rod is in baseball as a dude who can perform well but not in the clutch.  I am not writing him off like some of the anti-Kirkers on that front.  I think he can do it.  He did it in 2015.  But he needs to get over that hump.  Will see.  I only care though from the context if it effects Bruce's job security but alas Bruce's job might be safe no matter what happens on any front on anything.  :(

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I see him as a poor mans Tony Romo. Which honestly isn’t a bad thing. I would have liked Romo if not for his affliction. But, no matter the numbers Romo put up, he always left his squad hanging. 

 

I will I’ll continue to see Kirk the same way till he does something other than put up the numbers. He has always been good at that. He is on a hell of a heater though, and he and the Vikes CAN BE a perfect match if he keeps it up. 

 

I like his OC right now too. Calling much better games than last year though I guess having one of the best RBs in the game makes that easier. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Llevron said:

 

Yea I’m sure he could but he had close to 50 mil when he signed for the 84 mil. How much money can you put in a collection plate anyway? 

 

I really just wanna see what happens. That’s as far as my curiosity goes at this point. He’s a fine qb. That’s not really my thing anymore with him. Now I’m just curious how and if they put it together. In the office and on the field. 

I guess you could say he had enough following that $50 mil he got here......geez.  

 

Before I was cautiously optimistic about Kirk because when a D line could exert steady pressure, a la Chicago style, he tended to rush or push and made bad decisions.  During our game our D line put his O line on their asses a few times and  I thought the Lions D line mustered a pretty steady attack and he made some good decisions.  I see him handling those situations now, and of course coaches have helped with running certain plays but overall better decision making, and execution.  And a lot more flexibility.

 

The older I get the more I appreciate the cohesiveness that must exist between owners, FO's, and coaches to be consistently successful, let alone to reach a championship.  You  look at clubs like the Patriots. Even a rookie going in there knows what is expected of them.  Now that is a "damn good" culture.  Not ours.  

 

 I am not a Nats fan, left D.C. a long time ago.  The thought of the Skins never being a competitive team again really saddens me.  My older brother who got me into my fandom really believes without a change in ownership it remains status quo.  I keep thinking the ol "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once every once in awhile" so maybe Danny might luck into a good GM after he parts ways with Bruce.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bad games are fine.  But not the money games that are do or die for the playoffs.

Kirk just went through the soft part of the schedule so I don't see the naysayers changing their opinions of Kirk until he actually does something worthy of being called a "very good" QB, personally even though I'm harsh on him I've always thought he was good but never much more than that due to the inconsistency. 

 

People like myself are far from being his harshest critics, remember everything that was being said by the media and the football talking heads after those first 3 games when he was in the bottom 5 of the league for QBR (15th now).  If he doesn't do well over these next 5 games the media and Vikes fans will be trashing him again because he has never established any history of success unless you think yards and TD's are the benchmarks and you throw out situational football, making the playoffs, and beating quality football teams at least a couple times per year.

 

He will be playing the Cowboys, Seahawks, Chiefs, and Packers over the next 5 weeks with another Bears game thrown in there so we'll know if he has taken another step by the time those games have concluded but I think its silly to make any claims that he's becoming anything different until he actually backs it up on the field with results.

 

As for him being a success off the field, there's no doubt, he's made $100M over the last 4 years so he's winning big time at life in general and you're also right that our team stinks and we would have been better off with Kirk rather than giving a 5 year deal to a 34 yr old QB but Kirks legacy as an NFL QB will be measured on the field by the fans and his success in the playoffs, not by his bank account or how bad the Skins are doing.

 

I've said it before he is in the best situation he could possibly be in, if he cant do it under these conditions then it ain't happening.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Kirk just went through the soft part of the schedule so I don't see the naysayers changing their opinions of Kirk until he actually does something worthy of being called a "very good" QB, personally even though I'm harsh on him I've always thought he was good but never much more than that due to the inconsistency. 

 

People like myself are far from being his harshest critics, remember everything that was being said by the media and the football talking heads after those first 3 games when he was in the bottom 5 of the league for QBR (15th now).  If he doesn't do well over these next 5 games the media and Vikes fans will be trashing him again because he has never established any history of success unless you think yards and TD's are the benchmarks and you throw out situational football, making the playoffs, and beating quality football teams at least a couple times per year.

 

 

I agree as for the naysayers.  I think though that just the nature of the position.  We got narratives out there that Haskins might be a bust after one game.  Drama and overreaction from game to game of QBs comes with the turf.  Daniel Jones did well in his first game and people were doing mea culpas, now Jones' arrow is pointed down again.   Kirk gets his share of it.  But its a drama position.   But I don't feel too bad for the QBs, they get paid big money to handle whatever comes their way.  

 

I agree with your point about consistency.  The thing is pretty much all QBs have some bum games aside from the elite guys and the elite guys have bad games too but it's more rare.  If I am judging Kirk, I got no issue with a bad game here and there.  Very few QBs don't go on a ride like that.   My thing is win the big one at the end of the season. 

 

 @Llevron compared Kirk to Romo.  I think that's a good comparison.  I disagree that he's a poor man's version of him though.  I think the two are very apples to apples albeit they play within different styles. 

 

They are both very streaky QBs.   They both have more good games then bad.  They both put up big numbers.  They both have the rap of coming up small too often in big games.  Romo never lived down that rep.  Kirk still has a chance to do it.  For my take, its' now or never for Kirk, he needs to get them to the playoffs this season.

 

Cowboys QBs stunk leading up to Romo.  I doubt the average Cowboy fans yearned for all the scrubs they had post Aikman just because they couldn't stand to be teased with success with Romo.  It's somewhat how I felt with Kirk if I ran with the naysayers point of view on him.   For example, a few years back I was at the NO game with my kids and it was a ton of fun.  Kirk and Brees were dueling back and forth.  Close game.  Great game.  We lost dramatically at the end.  The loss hurt.  Would I rather have had Brees over Kirk?  Heck yeah.  But would I rather watch them get blown out by NO the season after that or likely watch Keenum get smoked in a duel versus NO today -- nope.     

 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

 

and you're also right that our team stinks and we would have been better off with Kirk rather than giving a 5 year deal to a 34 yr old QB

 

For me the point above is everything and the only thing that matters.

 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

but Kirks legacy as an NFL QB will be measured on the field by the fans and his success in the playoffs, not by his bank account or how bad the Skins are doing.

 

 

Agree.  But that's all about Kirk.  I don't care about his legacy.   I hardly care about the players on our own team's legacy.  I just want the best team we can have.

 

If you are going to get rid of Kirk or for that matter any player, I want a plan B.  I want something better or at least as good or close enough otherwise what's the point?    I can give a rats behind about any player in a vacuum.  It's all about for me is the team better or worse off to have the player on the team.  Or starting over young and cheap.  But we didn't do that.   It's my same take on Trent.  I don't care about punishing Trent or making a point to him.  It's pure business for me.  Can we get a first round pick for him?  Can we improve our team or not by making X or Y move? 

 

My only periodic interest in Kirk centers on every now and then Sheehan or some other beat guy talks about how Bruce despises Kirk and doesn't want the Vikings to make the playoffs.  Stuff like that.  So I want whatever makes Bruce miserable as long as it doesn't hurt our team. 😀   So that's the one angle with me that can get personal as to Kirk -- but on that front Kirk is just a means to an ends for me.    I'll also happily debate anyone who wants to make the case that Bruce handled the whole situation well -- but that's not about any attachment to Kirk but 100% about us having that same doofus in charge of the team and is still making bad decisions.  

 

 

This is probably the only week I am on the Kirk thread.  I did one week last year too give or take and then I disappeared.    I am just not that emotional about him or any player that leaves.  I was into it during the contract because it was bundled IMO badly no matter how you cut it.  Keim (who is rarely wrong) saying on his last podcast that he heard that people in that FO strongly believed Kirk would leave and wanted to trade him and Bruce was the one who disagreed and thought he could still talk Kirk into staying -- just added more salt in the wounds for me. Ditto the one from Finlay who said he heard the Redskins FO (piecing that with Keim, I gather that meant Bruce)  just cared about winning in that upcoming season versus trading Kirk.  And I was already sore about the negotiations.  😀

 

I think this tweet-article from JP Finlay sums it up well.     For me if Haskins ends up the goods, I'll be happy.  But if we are back to QB purgatory, it's to me another sad chapter in how this team bungled the QB position.    And I use the example of Orkapo because that's my best shot at trying to understand the continued interest for those who don't care for Kirk.  I ended up wrong on Orkapo because even though he never lived up to his hype he still played better than anyone here who replaced him.  

 

I am not saying you are on the other side of any of these points but just explaining my take on it all. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting that a running back can be considered a great running back on the basis of his individual contributions, take Barry Sanders for example.  Considered one of the greatest of all time but he played on losing teams.  Walter Payton was on the '85 Bears but he had already been in the League 10 years and was passed his prime, still good much like Peterson today, another great running back that played on weak teams in Minnesota before returning to the League for awful Redskins.

 

The same is true for linebackers, receivers, offensive linemen and other positions except for quarterback.  Matt Stafford got to 40,000 yards faster than any quarterback in the history of the League, but Stafford plays quarterback for the luckless, hapless Detroit Lions so it doesn't look like his bust will end up in Canton.  Likewise, Kirk Cousins is judged by his win/loss record despite his own strong individual statistics during his fine career as a starter. 

 

This is Kirk's fifth-year starting but the first year in Kirk's career he is playing on a good team.  The 2018 Vikings had numerous injuries at running back and across the offensive line.  This year the Vikings have issues on the left side of the offensive line but are solid to very good everywhere else including a sound defense and very good across the offensive skill positions.  Hopefully, he can help them win it all this year and shut up his very determined critics.  If he doesn't he'll just have to learn to be satisfied with getting rich doing what he loves.

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news, haters!  The Vikings have some tough teams coming up on their schedule.  There will likely not be a Kirkvember this year.

 

Week 9: Chiefs (4th in pass defense DVOA) 

Week 10: Cowboys (good team despite the mediocre record)  

Week 11: Broncos (7th in pass defense DVOA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.