zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sure be nice if the Skins had someone to feast on crap teams...

Yeah, going 9-7 (or 8-7-1 or even 7-9) or by beating bad teams is a lot more fun than going 2-14 while not even tanking.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We're eating gray sirloins

Ah, of course.  No matter how well or poorly he performs on the field, we Skins fans will always have this to fall back on: Kirk Cousins is the worst grillmaster in all of pro sports.

Edited by Tsailand

10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

He will..this is the type of team Cousins feasts on: 1-6 with an interim head coach and a rookie OC. He built his legacy on the backs of subpar teams. Well, except the Bills last year lol...

If Cousins puts pressure on himself to beat the Skins, he could **** things up for himself. will be interesting to see if this has any effect on their playcalling.

You forgot the most interesting KC stat...

His record on Primetime games. Now if he doesnt overcome that demon and beat us...I think the announcers heads and vikings fans heads will explode

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xameil said:

You forgot the most interesting KC stat...

His record on Primetime games. Now if he doesnt overcome that demon and beat us...I think the announcers heads and vikings fans heads will explode

Why did the networks schedule this as a night game?  The ratings for this game are going to be horrible.  Minny has a small market and the Redskin fan base is in full fetal position.

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Why did the networks schedule this as a night game?  The ratings for this game are going to be horrible.  Minny has a small market and the Redskin fan base is in full fetal position.

Because when they scheduled it the Redskins weren't looking like they would be horrendous. 

Plus the story line..AP, Keenum on the Redskins, Cousins on the Vikings...

Not brain surgery why they would think this would get ratings...

• Like 1

330 yds, 3 Td's, and another gump ass "You like that! "aimed at Bruce Allen.

Or he could just as easily throw 3 int's,  and they play keep away and pound the football and still 3rd world crush us.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

They are going to be missing Thielen with a hammy.

Also, lost in yesterday’s game with the Lions was Marvin Jones scoring 4 TD’s making Xavier Rhodes throw his helmet in anger. And apparently Rhodes is their best corner.

If there was ever a time to ditch the run it just because strategy, it’s this week.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Kirk has been getting the ball out quicker the last three games and moving outside the pocket more. I see a definite difference.  To beat some of the teams with solid D lines they needed to make a few adjustments.

I  think the way  Minnesota has been using their TE's the last three games has helped anchor what I see as an improved O line over last year . Rudolph for one is a beast. Rookie Irv Smith, out of Bama has been solid too.  Both of them have not only been involved in the passing game, you see them involved more in the run blocking and pass protecting too.  So their roles are pretty complete.  

Let's see what happens.  It is a more complete offense for Kirk.  It is balanced and their run game is in high gear.  

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Kirk has been getting the ball out quicker the last three games and moving outside the pocket more. I see a definite difference.  To beat some of the teams with solid D lines they needed to make a few adjustments.

Has he, though?...He's still ranked last in terms of how quickly a QB releases a pass:

timetothrow.png

From what I’ve seen via red zone channel, the Vikings are doing more of what guys like me clamored for when he was here, boots and just play action in general.  This obviously buys more time and inflates those numbers as well. 

Whatever happens on Thursday, I'm sure a new arbitrary measurement will be used to discredit his performance that doesn't get thrown around to other quarterbacks in this league.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Califan007 I watched his O line closer the last two games and it seemed to me he released the ball quicker.  And I noticed the blocking sets of the TE's more.  That is me.  That might have been in play for quite a few games.  The game before the last two I was noticing the chances he was taking down field.  Just letting the ball go instead of being fearful of making a mistake.   That is a huge change for Cousin's.   With what @BatteredFanSyndrome  wrote that makes more sense then what I was perceiving, so your stats are well taken. Wow! He has really turned the corner here in terms of trusting his teammates. 

I know some are saying he is Kirktober and have the stats for that.  So lets see how he does over the next 4 to 5 games.  I am impressed with him. He always seems to work on his game and despite how inflexible he has demonstrated himself to be at times, clearly he has  shifted something mentally, which is a huge part of the QB game.  The skills are there.  So hopefully he obsessively adheres to that mental shift.  

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Whatever happens on Thursday, I'm sure a new arbitrary measurement will be used to discredit his performance that doesn't get thrown around to other quarterbacks in this league.  

If nothing else, at least we don’t have to hear about how “Kirk broke all of Jurgensen’s records” anymore.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

If nothing else, at least we don’t have to hear about how “Kirk broke all of Jurgensen’s records” anymore.

I'm sure they'll bring up the Vikings records that he's broken.

11 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

This

19 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Vikings or Redskins fans??

• Haha 1

Yes, Kirk will be extra amazing showing a national audience he can lead a team to victory over a 1-6 team......back up the brinks truck for the guy........oh wait Minny already made that mistake. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yes, Kirk will be extra amazing showing a national audience he can lead a team to victory over a 1-6 team......back up the brinks truck for the guy........oh wait Minny already made that mistake. 

Bruce Allen has made that mistake backing up the brinks truck for a guy who put up very similar numbers last year to what Case Keenum has produced this year.

• Like 1

Say the Vikings didn't go pay for Kirk, what else were they supposed to do?  Pay Keenum 10 mil less a year than they paid Kirk?  Only to find out that you only catch lightning in a bottle once and be looking for a QB again.  They really didn't have many options other than to take a chance on Cousins and see what happens.

As a Redskins fan, I'd trade our issues for the Vikings issues every day of the week.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Say the Vikings didn't go pay for Kirk, what else were they supposed to do?  Pay Keenum 10 mil less a year than they paid Kirk?  Only to find out that you only catch lightning in a bottle once and be looking for a QB again.  They really didn't have many options other than to take a chance on Cousins and see what happens.

As a Redskins fan, I'd trade our issues for the Vikings issues every day of the week.

It is not about what the Vikes were supposed to do. It is about how much they paid for Kirk. The Vikes thought they were Kirk away from being in the SB since they were 1 game removed with Keenum the previous year (even thoiugh it was their defense that got them that far). Keenum was not the answer and Kirk was that answer. Kirk has been avg at best so far.

The book is not finished yet but we all know how Kirk handles big time games. Can he step up and elevate his team when it matters the most? Was giving him the biggest contract, at that time, was going to make him be like Brady or Rodgers or Brees? So far the answer is no. 

Were Brady, Rodgers or Brees available?  No.

They were aware they needed an improvement at QB and took a leap of faith by paying the price it took to acquire it.  Kirk was the only option to do that.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

It is not about what the Vikes were supposed to do. It is about how much they paid for Kirk. The Vikes thought they were Kirk away from being in the SB since they were 1 game removed with Keenum the previous year (even thoiugh it was their defense that got them that far). Keenum was not the answer and Kirk was that answer. Kirk has been avg at best so far.

Yep. I hope people aren't mistaking my Cousins criticism (or perhaps a better word is skepticism) for Bruce Allen's ineptitude as a GM.   I think both things can be true, that Bruce Allen messed up the Cousins situation early on so bad, but that *also* Cousins was over-valued by the Vikings front office as far as thinking he was the missing piece for a Super Bowl run. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Were Brady, Rodgers or Brees available?  No.

They were aware they needed an improvement at QB and took a leap of faith by paying the price it took to acquire it.  Kirk was the only option to do that.

Well they also seemed pretty nonchalant about dismissing Bridgewater during that time period too, who happens to be undefeated in Brees's absence, and I bet he would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to resign.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Well they also seemed pretty nonchalant about dismissing Bridgewater during that time period too, who happens to be undefeated in Brees's absence, and I bet he would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to resign.  

I believe they thought they needed a more dynamic passer than what Keenum or Bridgewater brings to the table.  Cousins was the best QB available that has the ability to make all the throws to the receivers they've invested in.  Cousins can make all the throws and is particularly potent in play-action, which given how well they ran the ball in 2017, makes sense that Cousins would be a fit.  They went out and got the best available QB for what they were trying to do.

I honestly think most of you guys wouldn't care at all about Kirk's value elsewhere if you hadn't invested years screaming about his value being less than what he's paid.  It would seem as if he's the only QB in the NFL that doesn't 'earn' his paycheck reading some of the posts around here.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It would seem as if he's the only QB in the NFL that doesn't 'earn' his paycheck reading some of the posts around here.  

You're ever so close, yet still so far. He isn't the only QB in the NFL that doesn't 'earn' his paycheck. He is the only QB in the NFL that has a fully guaranteed $84M contract over 3 years.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You're ever so close, yet still so far. He isn't the only QB in the NFL that doesn't 'earn' his paycheck. He is the only QB in the NFL that has a fully guaranteed $84M contract over 3 years.

Take a look at the current landscape of QB contracts, where guys like Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford and just for kicks, Alex Smith are ranking on that list.

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Take a look at the current landscape of QB contracts, where guys like Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford and just for kicks, Alex Smith are ranking on that list.

I'm looking at the list of fully guaranteed contracts. It's a lot shorter than the list you posted. In fact, there's just one name on there. Some dude named Kurt.