zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

That really doesn't have anything to do with Kirk though. Its a lazy counter argument. That besides the fact that it worked until our line got so bad that one of them broke his leg into pieces. Wait I mean both. Or was it all? How many of them did we break again? Crazy how that **** went down. 

Right, nothing to do with Kirk, lol. They spend double and "showed him who's boss" by overpaying then overpaying and over trading for a guy who can't win playoff games even if he doesn't break his leg, which he did. Kirk still hasn't missed a game.

Now we have the TW fiasco.

****ing ass clowns!!!

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Right, nothing to do with Kirk, lol. They spend double and "showed him who's boss" by overpaying then overpaying and over trading for a guy who can't win playoff games even if he doesn't break his leg, which he did. Kirk still hasn't missed a game.

Now we have the TW fiasco.

****ing ass clowns!!!

EDIT: I guess my point is that the fact that we sank money into Smith, who worked but got hurt, doesn't have anything to do with Kirk Cousins and his contract demands. 

we can **** on Bruce all day but how much he paid the next guy doesn't change the fact that he made a good decision on Kirk here with this team. Even if it was because he was a dick head and lucked into it. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The kind he better beat, if he blows that game he'll lose his Pizza Shack deal.

Pizza Ranch!  Say what you want about Kurt, but don't be dissing on Pizza Ranch!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

we can **** on Bruce all day but how much he paid the next guy doesn't change the fact that he made a good decision on Kirk here with this team. Even if it was because he was a dick head and lucked into it. 

I agree in the sense that it works out better for Bruce to really look bad, sooner than later.  Which as fans gives us better odds that he will get fired sooner than later.  But from a straight football standpoint, I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that this team is better off without him and his contract.  Since his departure they have more money and draft assets designated to the QB position, and the offense in general, than they ever had with him or would have with his current contract.

The narrative for letting Kirk walk was to utilize the money he was getting or soon to get to build a better team with those savings.  They haven't built a better team with those savings.  They've spent those savings + some to be worse off.

As I said above, Kirk Cousins certainly isn't the difference maker to the point he would make this team a contender.  He is without a doubt paid more than what he brings to the table.   He has not shed his reputation for not being able to beat teams with ferocious D lines.  But he is undoubtedly better than anything the Redskins have put out there since he left.  

• Like 6

@BatteredFanSyndrome I dont know how to say this but I think I agree with you. Like, completely. Thats how you know Bruce has to go lmao

We are a better team with Kirk even though his production doesnt match his pay check. We are a **** team, regardless though. And right now, ire really a fan of the skins, you kinda have to root for the bottom to fall out completely. And in that, losing Kirk helps us. 

Eww I hate typing that. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

@BatteredFanSyndrome I dont know how to say this but I think I agree with you. Like, completely. Thats how you know Bruce has to go lmao

We are a better team with Kirk even though his production doesnt match his pay check. We are a **** team, regardless though. And right now, ire really a fan of the skins, you kinda have to root for the bottom to fall out completely. And in that, losing Kirk helps us. 

Eww I hate typing that. 

The bolded part is where I'm living.  In all my years, from a stupid homer with earplugs and a blindfold on when it came to negative info on the Skins to my polar opposite state that I've been in for several years, never have I ever actively rooted against the team to win.  That changed this past weekend.  I wanted them to lose.  I actually told my wife when they were up 17-10 with 6 minutes left, exactly what was about to transpire.  That our offense would immediately give them the ball back, once - maybe twice, but in the end the Dolphins will score a TD and go for 2 and not convert, just so we as Skins fans get the absolute worst result - the W in the win column, with absolutely no pride or a glimmer of hope provided by playing a nail biter with a management fueled tank job that may end up being the worst team fielded in the salary cap era.  Because, Redskins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

EDIT: I guess my point is that the fact that we sank money into Smith, who worked but got hurt, doesn't have anything to do with Kirk Cousins and his contract demands. 

Agree with the first part, disagree with the 2nd part...kind of lol...

Bruce did not make a good decision with Kirk in terms of being unwilling to trade him. He did make a good decision in not being willing to shell over $84M guaranteed for 3 years (or anything close to it). It's arguable whether or not signing him to a fully guaranteed 3-yr contract would have been smart at a cheaper price...on the one hand, it would have been affordable at, say, $20M/yr after the 2015 season ended and wouldn't have hindered the team from continuing to build, but on the other hand it means you could be looking at starting over at QB when the team is starting to grow into its own because there's no guarantee you have him beyond 3 years.

It appears Bruce and Dan believed Kirk and his agent would be willing to negotiate down from a hard stance of 3 yr/fully guaranteed through normal negotiations--nobody had ever had that kind of contract before so it could have been seen as a starting point.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Agree with the first part, disagree with the 2nd part...kind of lol...

Bruce did not make a good decision with Kirk in terms of being unwilling to trade him. He did make a good decision in not being willing to shell over $84M guaranteed for 3 years (or anything close to it). It's arguable whether or not signing him to a fully guaranteed 3-yr contract would have been smart at a cheaper price...on the one hand, it would have been affordable at, say, $20M/yr after the 2015 season ended and wouldn't have hindered the team from continuing to build, but on the other hand it means you could be looking at starting over at QB when the team is starting to grow into its own because there's no guarantee you have him beyond 3 years.

It appears Bruce and Dan believed Kirk and his agent would be willing to negotiate down from a hard stance of 3 yr/fully guaranteed through normal negotiations--nobody had ever had that kind of contract before so it could have been seen as a starting point.

You and your fellow Kirk detractors crack me up.  You keep inventing new objections and excuses for Snyder while no doubt endlessly and futilely shoving new and bigger pins into your Kirk voodo dolls, you guys seem as lame to me as Zach Brown.  Meanwhile, the Viking coaches regrouped and found the right mix of run and pass the last couple of weeks.  Zimmer may wish to go with a 1950's style, run dominated offense but it didn't work against the good competition so after dropping a couple of games and pissing off their wide receivers and fans they have opened things up and let Kirk be Kirk, naturally, success followed.  I'll keep on an eye on Kirk and the Vikings why don't you monitor the Ravens where you can get a glimpse of your beloved sitting forlornly on the pine.  At least he can't hurt himself or the team on the bench so 2019 might be his best year! 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

You and your fellow Kirk detractors crack me up.  You keep inventing new objections and excuses for Snyder while no doubt endlessly and futilely shoving new and bigger pins into your Kirk voodo dolls, you guys seem as lame to me as Zach Brown.  Meanwhile, the Viking coaches regrouped and found the right mix of run and pass the last couple of weeks.  Zimmer may wish to go with a 1950's style, run dominated offense but it didn't work against the good competition so after dropping a couple of games and pissing off their wide receivers and fans they have opened things up and let Kirk be Kirk, naturally, success followed.  I'll keep on an eye on Kirk and the Vikings why don't you monitor the Ravens where you can get a glimpse of your beloved sitting forlornly on the pine.  At least he can't hurt himself or the team on the bench so 2019 might be his best year! 

I love it when you get unnecessarily defensive of Kirk and your arrogance takes over lol...it tends to blow up in your face after a while, and then you go off and visit Westy for a month or so in Afghanistan.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

He did make a good decision in not being willing to shell over $84M guaranteed for 3 years (or anything close to it)

The problem is that he turned right around and gave freaking Alex Smith $71M guaranteed for 3 years. 

Bruce is using the broken leg as an excuse, and saying we were 6-3 with a healthy Alex Smith, but the fact is that Alex Smith sucked, and we were one of the worst 6-3 teams anyone has ever seen.  If Smith was still healthy, we'd be 2-4 right now at best, probably still 1-5, and tied to him through the rest of this year and next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I love it when you get unnecessarily defensive of Kirk and your arrogance takes over lol...it tends to blow up in your face after a while, and then you go off and visit Westy for a month or so in Afghanistan.

Lol he doesnt goto Afganistan...he goes back to the Stadium and pretends he's a fan of the Redskins...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

The problem is that he turned right around and gave freaking Alex Smith $71M guaranteed for 3 years. 

Bruce is using the broken leg as an excuse, and saying we were 6-3 with a healthy Alex Smith, but the fact is that Alex Smith sucked, and we were one of the worst 6-3 teams anyone has ever seen.  If Smith was still healthy, we'd be 2-4 right now at best, probably still 1-5, and tied to him through the rest of this year and next year.

They gave Smith $55M guaranteed at signing. The remaining $16M was a vested guarantee for injury, which allows for a little more leeway (but not much). It's almost the exact same contract they offered Kirk as a starting point, that Kirk didn't counter and that everyone was saying was an "insult" at the time. It's a far more favorable contract than what Kirk got in that it made it easier to either 1) keep the QB longer than 3 years or 2) cut bait with the QB in less than 3 years. Smith's horrific injury doesn't change that.

But even if you think it's a bad contract, that doesn't have any effect on the decision to not sign Cousins to $84M/3 yrs/ all guaranteed.

And I'm not someone who rests his arguments on imagining worst-case scenarios as if they actually happened--i.e. we would have just lost damn near every game remaining even if Smith remained 100% healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Kirk Cousins isn’t saving this mess.  If anything having Kirk would be worse for those that desire change.  We wouldn’t be 1-5, eeking out our first victory against Bayside High.  We would probably .500ish with an even heavier dose of “we’re close”.

And still have Jay and Manusky.....I've had enough of that thanks (assuming Manusky is gone 2020...

35 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

They gave Smith $55M guaranteed at signing. The remaining $16M was a vested guarantee for injury, which allows for a little more leeway (but not much).

Even without injury, the $16M would have become fully guaranteed unless we cut Smith before March 2019, leaving us having paid $55M for one year of Alex Smith. 

55M for one year vs vs $71M for three years... both of those are terrible contracts to give an Alex Smith.

You can definitely disagree over whether Kirk is worth $84M/3, certainly there are NFL GMs who would not pay him that much.  But if you forced them to choose between Alex Smith at $71M vs Kirk Cousins at $84M, I think the majority, including all the smart ones, would go with Kirk.

Edited by Tsailand
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

But paying Kirk 44M and then Alex over 70M for a total of 5 years is only something the incompetent + indecisive buffoons running the Redskins would do.

Then top it off by using the first round pick on another QB that the head coach didn't want to use the pick on. Just like with Spurrier, and Shanahan.

While pretending that "Redskins decision" means that they all agreed on it and Doofus Dan had nothing to do with it.

Hilarious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

But paying Kirk 44M and then Alex over 70M for a total of 5 years is only something the incompetent + indecisive buffoons running the Redskins would do.

Then top it off by using the first round pick on another QB that the head coach didn't want to use the pick on. Just like with Spurrier, and Shanahan.

While pretending that "Redskins decision" means that they all agreed on it and Doofus Dan had nothing to do with it.

Hilarious.

You realize the current topic was whether or not it was a good decision not to pay Kirk a fully guaranteed $28M/3 yr contract, and not whether or not Bruce and Dan are competent, right? 

If it helps you, let's say the same thing about the Vikings...I think it was a mistake for them to give Kirk a fully guaranteed $28M/3 yr contract (Vikings fans seem to overwhelmingly agree, by the way lol)--hell, I think it would have been a mistake for any team to do so. He hasn't been worth it so far in his careet and he hasn't been worth it during his time with the Vikings. See? I'm able to reach that conclusion without first analyzing all the moves the Vikings' FO have made concerning the QB position...which haven't been very good, for the record.

17 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Even without injury, the $16M would have become fully guaranteed unless we cut Smith before March 2019, leaving us having paid $55M for one year of Alex Smith. 

55M for one year vs vs $71M for three years... both of those are terrible contracts to give an Alex Smith.

You can definitely disagree over whether Kirk is worth $84M/3, certainly there are NFL GMs who would not pay him that much.  But if you forced them to choose between Alex Smith at $71M vs Kirk Cousins at $84M, I think the majority, including all the smart ones, would go with Kirk.

Actually it's $55m for one year vs $84M for one year--in case you forgot, I was comparing Smith's contract to Cousins' contract. And I said it gave the Redskins "a little more leeway (but not much)"...emphasis on "little" and "but not much".

Edited by Califan007

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, No Excuses said:

The end result would have been a better team. It’s not like you or I are paying his salary.

Kind of a weird argument to be made for a team that is approaching historical levels of suckitude but ok.

And besides it took a whole several months before WRs were making as much as him.  The contract argument was always dumb.  Not a single one of them is worth their contracts.

41 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Actually it's $55m for one year

You realize how insane that is for any QB, let alone a washed-up below-NFL-average Alex Smith?

41 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I was comparing Smith's contract to Cousins' contract

Smith's contract is an F, even if Smith was healthy.  Kirk's contract looks to be in the C+ to B range, but could improve.

• Like 1

I’d like everyone to know that I hold Matt Stafford in very high regard.

Fine player, good person, extremely loyal...very easy to root for.

24/34 for 337 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints against the Lions today.  Vikings roll, 42-30.

We're not going to benefit from rain and a horrible field next week; the Vikings play in a dome. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Beautiful game by Cousin's again. Looked to me like he did put the game on his own shoulders and came through.   

Diggs redeemed himself after a bad drop in the EZ at a critical juncture in the game.  

The defining moment in the game for me is how Cousin's came back in the next series following  the Digg's drop and the Bailey wiff throwing a perfect strike to Rudolph in the EZ. 

I would love to see a matchup in the playoffs between Cousin's and Rodgers if the Vikings can keep pace.

• Like 1

The NeverKirk guys need to buy better pins for their Kirk Voodoo dolls because Kirk is being Kirk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Kirktober, has quieted this thread down. 

Kirktober is the heart of Autumn.  The most beautiful season.

Tip of the cap to him.  He looks to be playing the best ball of his career.  It’s very impressive.

• Like 3