• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Cousins gonna Cousin.

I was only half-paying attention tonight, but he didn‚Äôt look too bad did he? I probably missed a sack or something, so im genuinely asking ūüėā

He looked fine and the Vikings looked determined to run with their improved OL but the thing that really stood out to me was how packed their beautiful new stadium was for a preseason game.

you know what i noticed about the nice pass to thielen?
Thielen pushed off...  much more egregiously as that ridiculous call against Harmon the other night in our game.
As the ball is in flight, he locks his arm into the defender's chest and shoves him.

Not at all confident this entire season won't be another officiating nightmare.
One way i can see to fix an immediate problem is to put Sean Hochuli into a burlap sack and throw it into the river.

~Bang

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Bang said:

you know what i noticed about the nice pass to thielen?
Thielen pushed off...  much more egregiously as that ridiculous call against Harmon the other night in our game.
As the ball is in flight, he locks his arm into the defender's chest and shoves him.

~Bang

I thought that is what was being challenged, but they never even went into what Carrol was challenging.  I saw that push off too and thought he was challenging OPI, but we will never know.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing.. Carroll is pretty savvy, and no doubt he saw the ridiculous Harmon call. I thought maybe he'd try to send a message.

I would love to have audio of whatever he and Thielen were discussing during the review :D. I liked that.

~bang

Kirk did an interview on Will Compton and Taylor Lewan podcast, bussin'with the boys.

I thought it was a good listen. It's the most I've heard him open up about the contract situation in DC.

37 minutes ago, Tay said:

Kirk did an interview on Will Compton and Taylor Lewan podcast, bussin'with the boys.

I thought it was a good listen. It's the most I've heard him open up about the contract situation in DC.

Since I don't listen to podcasts what did say?

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, Veryoldschool said:

He looked fine and the Vikings looked determined to run with their improved OL but the thing that really stood out to me was how packed their beautiful new stadium was for a preseason game.

"My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face"

• Haha 2

On 8/19/2019 at 10:10 AM, Veryoldschool said:

looked determined to run with their improved OL

What improved, they have a line full of JAGs and they overpaid for a LT who has never made a pro bowl, if the LT was that good the Lions would have signed him.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, JSSkinz said:

What improved, they have a line full of JAGs and they overpaid for a LT who has never made a pro bowl, if the LT was that good the Lions would have signed him.

Shhh... he sees the world through purple colored glasses.

3 for 13 for 35 yards in a 1/2 of football against the Cards 3rd preseason game starters tune up!!!  BWHHAHHHHAAAAAA!!! Karma..is THAT I hear you'a Knocking??? If Case did that man the ES Sky wouldn't just fall..it would EXPLODE!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, Califan007 said:

Much like the first preseason game last year...Kirk went 4/4, 42 yds and a TD.

He followed that up by going 3/8 for 12 yds and 0 TDs in the next game.

Stay tuned lol...

Well I DID say "stay tuned" lol...

Some tweets apparently during the game:

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

3 for 13 for 35 yards in a 1/2 of football against the Cards 3rd preseason game starters tune up!!!  BWHHAHHHHAAAAAA!!! Karma..is THAT I hear you'a Knocking??? If Case did that man the ES Sky wouldn't just fall..it would EXPLODE!!

In Case's case it wouldn't matter. We have Haskins. :D

• Like 2

That’s tough. Dude is gonna have to be paid soon too right? Damn

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 6:55 AM, zskins said:

Since I don't listen to podcasts what did say?

He basically said GMSM wasn't willing to pay what they wanted and his agent felt if he stayed the course they could capitalize off of free agency.  He pretty much made it clear that once he was Franchise tagged they were focused on hitting free agency, it was just a matter of waiting out those 2 tags.  He didn't say anything negative about the Skins, it was more of him saying F it, I'm gonna put all my chips on the table and see where it takes me.

https://bussinwiththeboys.podbean.com/

Edited by JSSkinz

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

He basically said GMSM wasn't willing to pay what they wanted and his agent felt if he stayed the course they could capitalize off of free agency.  He pretty much made it clear that once he was Franchise tagged they were focused on hitting free agency, it was just a matter of waiting out those 2 tags.  He didn't say anything negative about the Skins, it was more of him saying F it, I'm gonna put all my chips on the table and see where it takes me.

https://bussinwiththeboys.podbean.com/

If your paraphrasing of Kirk's words is accurate, that deflates more than a few running narratives over the last year or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

If your paraphrasing of Kirk's words is accurate, that deflates more than a few running narratives over the last year or so.

Click on the link and listen, you may have a different opinion but here's what he said with some of it shortened.  The part where he talked about fully guaranteed contracts is where I base most of my opinion.

"It was what it was, I kinda of shrugged my shoulders at it and said there are several different ways to play this.  If this is the way it played out I felt peace about it, I didn't feel unrest."

"I guess it just helps that teams are constantly looking for QB's and it doesn't seem like they have enough supply so I felt like look, if I can show I can play I can just go year to year and I just don't feel like I'm risking all that much because between an insurance policy and the fact teams need QB's the math would say I was better off playing year to year and letting it play out, looking back now it worked out really well."

"I wish this were done differently but there were conversations with GMSM and they were like hey they have a different viewpoint they were in a certain position and GMSM said I wanted to pay Kirk a certain amount and I felt like the market would pay me more and I would like to go to the market so if you wont let me go to market then I will wait until you do and let the market dictate it."

"I feel like if we won I would still be there but after we went 7-9 I felt like the team said hey 7-9 isn't what we are trying to be so lets move on, I think if we went 11-5 I would still be there."

On how important was the guaranteed contract:

"This is why it's so important to have a good agent, as soon as 2015 season was over and it looked like I would be franchise tagged my agent said the only way you are not getting franchise tagged is if the Redskins agree to do a 3 year deal fully guaranteed. My agent started the conversation right away to let the Redskins know that was our vision all along and I don't think the Redskins agreed with that which is fine.  So we said let's try to do a 3 year deal fully guaranteed with whoever, we took a little less per year to do that but that's fine. I think it worked out, its something my agent wanted and I was all for it."

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Click on the link and listen, you may have a different opinion but here's what he said with some of it shortened.  The part where he talked about fully guaranteed contracts is where I base most of my opinion.

I tend to agree with how you interpreted Kirk's words. And--to me anyway--definitely starts to deflate a number of arguments in favor of Cousins and against the Redskins.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I tend to agree with how you interpreted Kirk's words. And--to me anyway--definitely starts to deflate a number of arguments in favor of Cousins and against the Redskins.

A lot of it is fluff and stuff we've heard before but that last part about his agent demanding a 3 year fully guaranteed contract is something we've never heard before.

The Jets wouldn't do it and either would the Broncos and realistically probably 95% of the league wouldn't do that.  A short term deal fully guaranteed was the first of its kind, especially after such a small sample size with only 8 good games.

After losing all those picks in the RG3 debacle I can see why our team balked at it.  From day one I never thought we had a legitimate chance at signing him after the 2015 season and that podcast pretty much confirms it.

Edited by JSSkinz

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

A lot of it is fluff and stuff we've heard before but that last part about his agent demanding a 3 year fully guaranteed contract is something we've never heard before.

The Jets wouldn't do it and either would the Broncos and realistically probably 95% of the league wouldn't do that.  A short term deal fully guaranteed was the first of its kind.

After losing all those picks in the RG3 debacle I can see why our team balked at it.  From day one I never thought we had a legitimate chance at signing him after the 2015 season and that podcast pretty much confirms it.

Actually, I think it was reported that the Jets were gonna do a 3-year fully guaranteed contract. But to your point, I doubt any of the remaining teams looking for a QB would have done so.

But then again, if the 3 year fully guaranteed deal was for $60M or less, they should have at least considered it. And they also should have better realized that Cousins was not gonna be derailed from hitting free agency unless the Skins offered an insane contract in 2016. The narratives in 2016 and 2017 were that firing Scot M along with the "insultingly low" offer by the Skins are what made Kirk decide to shoot for free agency. Kirk pretty much flushes that theory down the toilet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Actually, I think it was reported that the Jets were gonna do a 3-year fully guaranteed contract. But to your point, I doubt any of the remaining teams looking for a QB would have done so.

But then again, if the 3 year fully guaranteed deal was for $60M or less, they should have at least considered it. And they also should have better realized that Cousins was not gonna be derailed from hitting free agency unless the Skins offered an insane contract in 2016. The narratives in 2016 and 2017 were that firing Scot M along with the "insultingly low" offer by the Skins are what made Kirk decide to shoot for free agency. Kirk pretty much flushes that theory down the toilet.

As for the Jets thing, if memory serves me, they offered him a couple of mils more. Kirk took the Vikings deal since they almost went to the SB the prior year. I am sure Kirk felt he was the missing piece they needed. Hasn't worked out so far yet.

This year should be more interesting for both Kirk and the Vikings. 

• Like 1

I think we are going to find out what our FO theorized. That Kirk is a system QB and he fit Jay's System perfectly with timing routes/exact placement at exact time. Jay AND Kirk are OCD on that stuff. Kirk is NOT a freelancer or improvisor and he gets into trouble when he tries (Fumbles/Int). Kirk would have excelled in Jays system and got paid over the long haul playing more years as a TOP QB. If he fails in Min by not getting them deep into the playoffs...those big $$ will be gone after 2021.

I think Kirk thought it was all him and he could produce in any system. We ALL will find out shortly who was right.

• Like 1

The Vikings just doubled down on un-clutch.  We’ve already seen this movie. 

I wish the Vikings luck.  

Actually, I don’t.  

DDC27E9B-BE91-4670-8178-451DD5C690B6.jpeg.4c2a75c1585b1aa63f46beb7eb2f45f0.jpeg

• Like 2