• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      The home team fans are at home, these games no longer matter, and it’s probably better for the team to lose than it is to win.  It must be December in Washington.  Welcome to week 15!

Redskins Inactive: 
      Colt McCoy  
      Trey Quinn 
      Quinton Dunbar  
      Josh Harvey-Clemons  
      Ross Pierschbacher  
      Brandon Scherff  
      Caleb Wilson  

Eagles Inactive: 
      Nate Sudfeld  
      Nelson Agholor 
      Jordan Howard  
      Shareef Miller 
      Lane Johnson  
      Sua Opeta  
      Derek Barnet

There are two camps for Redskins fans at this time of year.  Those that want to tank and those that want to win.  If this describes you, I want you to know something important. You’re wrong.  You should probably feel bad about it too, but that’s your business.  The right way to go about this, is simply to embrace the doublethink.  

Before and after the game it’s perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that losing has its advantages.  It does and it is undeniable.  Afterall we could be talking about the difference between Chase Young being in a Redskins uniform, or not.  What we need for that to happen is simple.  Redskins lose out.  Giants beat the Dolphins and Redskins.  Dolphins beat the Bengals.  All of these things are perfectly reasonable outcomes.  We’re that close to having an elite pass rusher.   

Before that happens, we have a game to play.  It is in this moment that we should embrace the other side of our demented doublethink.  While the game is being played, especially against a division opponent, fans should want their team to do well.  Assuming they have a soul and any decency.  There is just no way that I can root for the Eagles to beat the Redskins during a game.  If you are the type of fan that does this, I hope you find someone that can fix what has broken inside of you.   

Pregame Prediction:  Redskins 23 – Eagles 30  
      More interesting game we are missing because we are still watching the Redskins:  Packers – Bears  
      Things I am snacking on:  Brownie.   
      Number of colons used:  Six.  (so far)  

Check back for updates.  I’m going to wander around the room for a while and stretch my legs to get away from a certain well-known ESPN Eagle fan’s boring conversations that my ear phones aren’t blocking out entirely.

1st Quarter Redskins 7 - 3 Eagles
      "The Closer" Haskins showed up for work early today and hit his former college teammate for a touchdown.  He really took the life out of this crowd in *checks notes* Fedex Field. 

2nd Quarter Redskins 14 - 10 Eagles
      This quarter was defined by penalties.  The Redskins made the mistake of lightly hitting an Eagles tight end on the shoulder, and then another by tackling the Eagles QB around the waist.  Refs clearly didn't appreciate the Redskins playing football.

This is the best half of football of Haskins pro career.  The Redskins passing offense as a whole has looked impressive, which... well it just shouldn't be.  Right?  Feels like a trap.  As soon as we start to feel good about it, BOOM they'll tear our hearts out. 

I'll say this much though, Redskins receivers have been running around wide open throughout this first half.  The Redskins should have scored more than 14.

Halftime:  If you had a choice between standing in a relatively long line for ice cream and cookies or nachos and hot dogs which would you choose?  I would go with ice cream.  Unfortunately I didn't realize there were two separate lines, and so I ended up with nachos and disappointment.  Also, I should probably mention Urban Meyer is here.  I bet he got the ice cream.   

3rd Quarter Redskins 14 - 17 Eagles
      Wentz made a good throw, giving his team the lead, and it reminded me that Wentz was once a pretty good QB.  Hasn't looked like it often today.  The Eagles really haven't had a lot of open players for Wentz to throw to, but there is more to it than that.  Wentz looks slow. 

Haskins has out played him through three quarters, and we haven't even reached Haskins best quarter. 

4th Quarter Redskins 27 - 37 Eagles
      Some drunk Redskins fans sitting in front of the press box have recognized a Eagles fan that appears often on CNN and have started knocking on the glass to wave their hands and smile at him now the the Redskins have the lead.  These fans have apparently never learned not to tempt fate.

Redskins defense played fairly well all game but picked the worst possible time to give up a long drive for a touchdown.  The Eagles offense came off the field with a four point lead and less than a minute left in the game.  The fumble return for a touchdown on the aborted hail marry attempt just added insult to injury.  Redskins come up short, for the eleventh time this season. 

End of game thoughts.  Haskins actually looked like a real NFL QB for an entire NFL game.  Not just a drive here or there, but for an entire game Haskins looked like he belonged.  He looked like one of the reasons the Redskins might win the game.  He's shown flashes in the past but nothing like this.  A very encouraging sign for fans that believe he can be a part of the future here. 

The Giants did their part to fall back in the draft, by absolutely dismantling the mighty Dolphins.  May the Giants be victorious, at least one more time this season.  We just need to lose to the Giants and have the Dolphins beat the Bengals, and the Redskins will be sitting alone at 3 wins.  Chase Young could happen.

zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

54 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think the words "over-rated" and "under-rated" are both over-rated words.

This is an underrated opinion.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kirk is surely overrated as QB.  But as an avatar for self-loathing fan resentment and a conduit for beltway pundit hot-takes, he’s first-ballot Hall of Famer.  Maybe the greatest of all time.

Perhaps the greatest in the galaxy

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, Llevron said:

“The people who don’t like Kirk Cousins must love Bruce Allen”

Thats a very intelligent take lol

But it's rampant on this board. I spent hours of my time dissecting the Kirk situation, pointing out how unique and unprecedented it was and how difficult of a situation the Redskins found themselves in bc Cousins was a good not great QB with ultimate leverage. But because I didn't make posts about how big of a douche Bruce was in negotiations for treating our golden goose franchise QB wrong, I'm now routinely referred to as Bruce's hidden lover with my head stuck in the sand lol. Good stuff.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:08 PM, HardcoreZorn said:

But it's rampant on this board. I spent hours of my time dissecting the Kirk situation, pointing out how unique and unprecedented it was and how difficult of a situation the Redskins found themselves in bc Cousins was a good not great QB with ultimate leverage. But because I didn't make posts about how big of a douche Bruce was in negotiations for treating our golden goose franchise QB wrong, I'm now routinely referred to as Bruce's hidden lover with my head stuck in the sand lol. Good stuff.

Good post. 

The Cousins debacle is another example of how a below-average NFL executive can have the correct opinion on a player but still botch the handling of it. All of those things were and remain true: 

1) Bruce Allen is not very good at his job

2) Bruce Allen was correct that Kirk Cousins wasn't and isn't worth $84M guaranteed over 3 years

3) Bruce Allen erred in handling the Cousins negotiations and situations

To elaborate on #3...he still chose to pay him half those guarantees over two seasons using the Franchise Tag. He also ultimately let Cousins walk for a compensatory pick, likely much lower than what he would have yielded in a trade at the height of his value. 

It's a shame that more people can't see the multiple layers to this. Cousins wasn't worth the value that he eventually had and I think Allen recognized that. Rather than make a bold move by trading him (or even letting him walk a year or two earlier), he played it out hoping we would catch lightning in a bottle and win something. His weakness as an executive was evident in THAT decision, not in his assessment of Cousins as a player. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post. 

The Cousins debacle is another example of how a below-average NFL executive can have the correct opinion on a player but still botch the handling of it. All of those things were and remain true: 

1) Bruce Allen is not very good at his job

2) Bruce Allen was correct that Kirk Cousins wasn't and isn't worth $84M guaranteed over 3 years

3) Bruce Allen erred in handling the Cousins negotiations and situations

To elaborate on #3...he still chose to pay him half those guarantees over two seasons using the Franchise Tag. He also ultimately let Cousins walk for a compensatory pick, likely much lower than what he would have yielded in a trade at the height of his value. 

It's a shame that more people can't see the multiple layers to this. Cousins wasn't worth the value that he eventually had and I think Allen recognized that. Rather than make a bold move by trading him (or even letting him walk a year or two earlier), he played it out hoping we would catch lightning in a bottle and win something. His weakness as an executive was evident in THAT decision, not in his assessment of Cousins as a player. 

So Bruce got Alex for 13 millions less guarantee and only for a half a season. What a bargain Alex was... lol

Joking aside...What I said above should have never happened. We had been better rolling the dice with Colt instead. 

What Bruce failed to do was to give Kirk Osweiler type of contract for 19.9 mil a year but instead he wanted to save 2.5 mil a year. The funny thing is that Bruce gave out more money to Kirk by tagging him two years in a row instead. 

But yeah Kirk was never worth $84 mil that he is getting though. He is not living up to his own hype that he created. 

Kirk should have just stayed here and gotten Alex type of deal done and he would have been less scrutinized by the fans and media alike. 

Yikes...I'll only quote the negative stuff because it's fun to do that lol....

2018 grades: Kirk Cousins' first Vikings season busted when it mattered most

Already an established quarterback with an early playoff exit, Cousins entered the 2018 season saying everybody needed to play well and he, in order to be mentioned among greats, needed to overcome whatever deficiencies weighed them down. With Cousins, the Vikings collectively failed in his first season while ranking 19th in scoring and 26th in both third downs and the red zone.

Grades are based on a 1-to-5 scale, with ‘5’ marking excellence, ‘4’ for above-average, ‘3’ for average, ‘2’ for below-average and ‘1’ for failure to perform.

Kirk Cousins (3.0) —

[...]But Cousins’ play under pressure, a reason why the Vikings sat at 5-3-1 entering the Week 10 bye, fell off upon returning from the bye to play in Chicago. He was the NFL’s third-rated passer under pressure (91.5 rating) in Weeks 1-9. His rating under pressured dropped to 22nd (69.5) in Weeks 11-17, when the Vikings had four games against three top scoring defenses in Chicago, New England and Seattle and Mike Zimmer fired coordinator John DeFilippo.

[...]Turnovers were Cousins’ undoing. Only two quarterbacks in Josh Rosen (19 turnovers) and Ben Roethlisberger (18) had more turnovers than Cousins’ 17. He lost a career-high and NFL-leading seven fumbles, including two to start the Week 3 loss to Buffalo. Some interceptions were a product of miscommunication, like Stefon Diggs’ stopped route against New Orleans and Kyle Rudolph watching the ball sail overhead in Chicago. Some were simply boneheaded plays, like Eddie Jackson’s pick six in Chicago when Diggs was open in the flat but Cousins threw to a covered Laquon Treadwell.

The timing compounded the turnovers. Cousins led the NFL with eight turnovers in the fourth quarter and overtime, tied with Denver’s Case Keenum and Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, according to Pro Football Reference. Three of five defensive touchdowns attributed to Cousins came in the second half of key losses against the Saints, Bears and Seahawks.

An inability to overcome deficits (0-7-1 when tied or trailing at halftime) was a critical problem. Cousins was the NFL’s only quarterback to start every game this season and not have at least one game-winning drive.

http://www.startribune.com/2018-grades-kirk-cousins-first-vikings-season-busted-when-it-mattered-most/504369072/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Cousins was the NFL’s only quarterback to start every game this season and not have at least one game-winning drive.

Ironically, we likely would have had the 2nd one if Alex had played in the final 6 games.

We lost every game that we trailed at any point and never took a lead in any of them (until Colt took the field). Which is quite pathetic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Ironically, we likely would have had the 2nd one if Alex had played in the final 6 games.

We lost every game that we trailed at any point and never took a lead in any of them (until Colt took the field). Which is quite pathetic.

We never gave up a lead with Smiff, either, which I'm gonna guess happened more than a few times on the Vikings due to Cousins' turnovers.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 3:08 PM, HardcoreZorn said:

I strongly suggest you joining a different forum. Not because of your positions, but if the perfectly valid reactions you frequently get are so frustrating for you and your response is to constantly whine about this 'injustice" in numerous posts across numerous threads, then you should go. I warned you about a different specific matter recently, but let me add a directive: cease the repetitive drone about your "bruce status" or how you're suffering. 

Vikings' Kirk Cousins ready to 'make amends' for 2018

Cousins said, "We didn't make the playoffs. There were high expectations and we didn't deliver, and so I've been frustrated since the season ended."

"I wish the 2019 season started tomorrow," he said. "I'm ready to go and make amends for 2018. It's been frustrating to know I have to sit here for whatever it is, seven or eight months before we get back at it.

"It has been a tough January for me. I haven't been sleeping well, that kind of a thing, because, yeah, it just left a bad taste in my mouth the way the season finished up."

More here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017387/article/vikings-kirk-cousins-ready-to-make-amends-for-2018

Amends? Sure sounds like to me he is making a lot of excuses for not being clutch when the team needed him the most.

Next year he will be 'making amends' for year 2019 if he can't take them to the SB.

• Like 3

The funny thing is Cousins actually had a pretty good year. Their OL was trash and their D fell off.

• Like 2

"The newspaper also pointed out that Cousins’s 17 turnovers were the third-most among NFL quarterbacks last season, and his eight turnovers in fourth-quarter or overtime situations tied for the league lead. He also was unable to complete any second-half rallies, going 0-7-1 with the Vikings when tied or trailing after two quarters."

$84 Million Dolla Man

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 4

On 1/27/2019 at 3:42 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Poor Kirk didn’t even get a replacement invite to the Pro Bowl.

And Dak did.  Strange to me as I consider Cousins>Dak.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, Warhead36 said:

The funny thing is Cousins actually had a pretty good year. Their OL was trash and their D fell off.

He did play pretty well...about what we saw here. 

The problem is he had to know what he signed up for with that contract...fair or not, he was viewed as a guy who had to AT LEAST get that team back to the NFC Championship Game. 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Warhead36 said:

The funny thing is Cousins actually had a pretty good year pretty good stats.

There ya go...much better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

Interesting that as savvy as Kirk seems at times, he also manages to step into social media land mines. Vikings fans are turning on him even more than here. The tweet he made is really not that bad. But Vikings fans are turning it into an insult. 

I hope he plays better next year. I was a fan if his when here. I wanted them to find a way to make it work. But when they don't i was most pissed they got nothing in return. But I have to admit he is making the same mistakes he made here. Stats always look decent but can't get the critical wins. Cones up small in big moments. In fairness, the first part of the season the D was atrocious after being top 5 the previous year. And they lost their running game and their Oline was just bad. But the last 1/3 of the season the D was playing very well and the Oline was doing better. He just struggled badly in some critical games. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kirk-cousins-insults-minnesotans-obtuse-tweet-miami-060748918.html

Vikings fans are pissed. The honeymoon phase didn't last long. Just look at any one of his tweets and the majority are negative or downright mean. 

Good news is that his tenure in Minnesota is 1/3 over. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

He just struggled badly in some critical games. 

Say it ain't so Joe!! 🤪

The fans are hammering him for dissing the cold......just wait..it's going to be BRUTAL. Kirk and PRESSURE is like Oil and Water and its going to be intense from the start of Training Camp. Wish he would have stayed and worked with Jay..BOTH would have been better off but greed won't do that for ya. Ha..at least he's rich for life right...

• Like 1