zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

30 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Cousins, the choirboy turned hired gun, unimaginable a couple of years ago but after 6 years on the Daniel Snyder plantation he clearly wants control.  When interviewed recently he was asked about how he was feeling and naturally he said he was loving things and then said it was the first time since 2007 when he picked Michigan State that he got to decide where he played.

Who knows what will happen during the next three years but Minny doesn't have the option to extend him after 3 years unless he agrees or they franchise tag him for 45M.  Kirk holds all the cards and yeah other players may follow his path and exercise great control over their careers but you have to have real talent and balls like grapefruit to play year to year like Cousins did.  Detesting Snyder and Allen were probably a big part of the equation in Kirk's case, but that is just speculation since every public utterance Kirk made was positive.

Personally I believe Kirk didn't want to be here just because of the funeral like atmosphere of his draft party when we selected him....and it wasn't due to rg3 when youre drafted in the 4th, you know youre a backup regardless who drafts you.

We were one of those teams he was praying passed him up every step....but god's plan and all 

Kirk is a smart low key guy though, give him a million he can retire on it if he has too...so no, what hes doing now doesn't take balls, hes playing with house money

Edited by Gibbit
  • Like 1

Vikings fans are desperate for a championship.  If Kirk gets them that, and then moves on to another team, NBA-style, they will forgive him and consider it $84M well spent.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Vikings fans are desperate for a championship.  If Kirk gets them that, and then moves on to another team, NBA-style, they will forgive him and consider it $84M well spent.

Is there a fan base outside of the Boston area who wouldn't be fine with a QB swooping in for 3 years and winning a title? It's a serious question...I can't think of any team other than the Patriots that would complain about a one-year run. Maybe the Steelers, but even they haven't won in a while (for them). 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2018 at 3:18 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Is there a fan base outside of the Boston area who wouldn't be fine with a QB swooping in for 3 years and winning a title? It's a serious question...I can't think of any team other than the Patriots that would complain about a one-year run. Maybe the Steelers, but even they haven't won in a while (for them). 

I agree.  I have no idea how things will go in Minny but probably Kirk will want to finish his career there but he has more contractual control than others have had in the past so maybe he would opt to sign with another team that is primed to win and needs a top notch QB.  I would find it very amusing.

Edited by Veryoldschool

On 6/22/2018 at 1:09 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was gonna add my thoughts but things seem a little heated here.  Ill just stay out of it.

It's Minnesota, this thread is the only thing keeping it warm.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2018 at 5:13 PM, Veryoldschool said:

I agree.  I have no idea how things will go in Minny but probably Kirk will want to finish his career there but he has more contractual control than others have had in the past so maybe he would opt to sign with another team that is primed to win and needs a top notch QB.  I would find it very amusing.

LeBron junior, except he is not in the same stratosphere, talent wise, if this were to occur.  Best of luck Kirk. Hail

Edited by Riggo'sRangers

Up in Minnesota and still driving his grandma’s van. 

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, Veryoldschool said:

kirk needs to convert it into a sleeper and camp out in Walmart parking lots

#vanlife

Edited by Gibbit
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, Veryoldschool said:

Looks like he has plenty of room in there for you to hop in as well. That way it can truly become the bandwagon wagon....lol

• Haha 3

On 6/24/2018 at 2:13 PM, Veryoldschool said:

Very,

Does it have A/C? Are you comfortable back there? does he at least pull into the Drive-thru for you and toss the bag in the back?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Kirk Cousins spoke at a church in San Diego on Father's Day about his Christian faith.  Those interested in listening to Kirk discuss his faith can follow the link below to the church website and click on the recording of the Father's Day service.  Kirk's portion is about 43 minutes into the service.  Those of you not interested in listening to this discussion are invited to ignore the link and refrain from making a snarky comment.

http://www.shadowmountain.org/default.aspx?page=3468

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I was one of the biggest Cousins supporters from the beginning,but when he said he wouldn't even negotiate with the Redskins until FA started is when i lost all respect for that guy..He abandoned his team mates and lied to the fans while acting like the money wasn't what he was chasing..He is so full of **** with his religious spew..I hope he fails miserably..

Edited by bh32
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bh32 said:

I was one of the biggest Cousins supporters from the beginning,but when he said he wouldn't even negotiate with the Redskins until FA started is when i lost all respect for that guy..He abandoned his team mates and lied to the fans while acting like the money wasn't what he was chasing..He is so full of **** with his religious spew..I hope he fails miserably..

That was my biggest issue. Check my posts through the years...as early as 2012 I was stating my preference of Cousins over Griffin. I wanted us in 2015 to lock him up for life. Even after he **** the bed against the Giants and was one of the biggest reasons we didn't win that game to make the playoffs in 2016, I wanted us to lock him up the next day. 

And I don't want this to get twisted...he has every right as a NFL player to find himself the best contract out there. His actual actions...I have no problem with. I despise how he tried to have it both ways. He wanted to be the "aw shucks" wholesome Midwestern Christian kid but also revolutionize the way players held their leverage for historic contracts. In my opinion, if the latter is your goal then just be up front about it. Take a stand and say "players deserve more leverage and the Redskins have helped to put me in a position where I can exploit that leverage..."

No, he claimed he wanted to stay and he was a Redskin, blah blah blah when from sometime in 2015 he had his sights set on a record-setting FA contract. That's bull**** in my opinion. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No, he claimed he wanted to stay and he was a Redskin, blah blah blah when from sometime in 2015 he had his sights set on a record-setting FA contract. That's bull**** in my opinion. 

I think it went deeper than the money.  I really don't think he wanted to be a part of this organization.  I can't say I can blame him.  He can't come right out and say that, he would be crucified while he was here and it would give other owners pause.  I believe it was an easy decision for him to let things play out the way they did.  The Skins front office handed him his golden ticket.  

• Like 2

Just now, HOF44 said:

I think it went deeper than the money.  I really don't think he wanted to be a part of this organization.  I can't say I can blame him.  He can't come right out and say that, he would be crucified while he was here and it would give other owners pause.  I believe it was an easy decision for him to let things play out the way they did.  The Skins front office handed him his golden ticket.  

Again, I don't have any issue with a FA exercising his right to switch teams. I just think he tried way too hard to play both sides. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Again, I don't have any issue with a FA exercising his right to switch teams. I just think he tried way too hard to play both sides. 

I mean whats he gonna say? Snyders a douchenozzle and Bruce is a conniving asshole?  While playing here he had to put on a good face. And when leaving he had to keep it on in order not to scare any future employers.  I still don't think it was all the money.  The Skins could have offered him more than anyone else and he still would have left them.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOF44 said:

I mean whats he gonna say? Snyders a douchenozzle and Bruce is a conniving asshole?  While playing here he had to put on a good face. And when leaving he had to keep it on in order not to scare any future employers.  I still don't think it was all the money.  The Skins could have offered him more than anyone else and he still would have left them.  

I think he was disingenuous with the media and the fans, that's all. Of course I wouldn't expect him to come out and say that he hates it here, but he easily could have said many other things over the course of the 2-3 year Kirk Cousins Debate. 

He also could have done a lot more to be fair to the team. If what you believe is true and he never went in and told them he wasn't going to stay long-term, then I think that's messed up too. Simply saying "Don't franchise me with the expectation that I might stay, because I plan to go to FA" would have been perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think he was disingenuous with the media and the fans, that's all. Of course I wouldn't expect him to come out and say that he hates it here, but he easily could have said many other things over the course of the 2-3 year Kirk Cousins Debate. 

He also could have done a lot more to be fair to the team. If what you believe is true and he never went in and told them he wasn't going to stay long-term, then I think that's messed up too. Simply saying "Don't franchise me with the expectation that I might stay, because I plan to go to FA" would have been perfectly fine. 

No way a current player can come out while playing and say that.  Especially when you know Bruce is gonna put out a memo post haste demonizing you.  I really think the Skins are just a **** show organization with Snyder at the helm.  I bet the behind the scenes stuff would be shocking.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HOF44 said:

No way a current player can come out while playing and say that.  Especially when you know Bruce is gonna put out a memo post haste demonizing you.  I really think the Skins are just a **** show organization with Snyder at the helm.  I bet the behind the scenes stuff would be shocking.  

Don't disagree...but the problem with that being the case is that I think so many players and coaches have left DC with full immunity when they've certainly contributed to the dysfunction and overall losing atmosphere. It's almost like, just because Snyder is bad, no one else can ever be accountable for awful play, coaching, draft picks, FA signings, quitting, etc. **** flows downhill, no doubt, but he's not 100% responsible for it all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Don't disagree...but the problem with that being the case is that I think so many players and coaches have left DC with full immunity when they've certainly contributed to the dysfunction and overall losing atmosphere. It's almost like, just because Snyder is bad, no one else can ever be accountable for awful play, coaching, draft picks, FA signings, quitting, etc. **** flows downhill, no doubt, but he's not 100% responsible for it all. 

I think just the opposite. He creates an atmosphere of backbiting and political maneuvering inside the organization.  Do some individuals thrive personally in this atmosphere, for sure. No organization I’ve seen flourishes with this environment though. 

• Like 1

Just now, HOF44 said:

I think just the opposite. He creates an atmosphere of backbiting and political maneuvering inside the organization.  Do some individuals thrive personally in this atmosphere, for sure. No organization I’ve seen flourishes with this environment though. 

I don't think anything you wrote above contradicts my point. Of course, he holds much of the blame. But that doesn't mean that others are blameless. That's my only point. DC has become a place where you can take a job, cash a bunch of checks, and have zero accountability for your performances. 

That can be both an atmosphere that he's created and fostered AND something that coaches/players have exploited with immunity. I think it's tougher for people to succeed here, but I don't think it's impossible, so people are let off the hook when they don't. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't think anything you wrote above contradicts my point. Of course, he holds much of the blame. But that doesn't mean that others are blameless. That's my only point. DC has become a place where you can take a job, cash a bunch of checks, and have zero accountability for your performances. 

That can be both an atmosphere that he's created and fostered AND something that coaches/players have exploited with immunity. I think it's tougher for people to succeed here, but I don't think it's impossible, so people are let off the hook when they don't. 

Where you and I differ is I think it’s impossible to succeed here. Have some just taken the money and coasted or worse? Sure.  But I literally think as long a Snyder owns the team success will never come to them. He is that bad. 

• Like 1