zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (Special rule---you can refer to the Redskins in this thread---M.E.T.)

Breer-MMQ

I set out a few days ago to try and reprise, on the fly, a larger project I ran three summers ago at NFL Network. The idea was to ask football people a simple question: Who will be the Top 5 QBs in football at the end of the season? I set the question up that way because it would reflect what these insiders thought would happen over the course of the season, rather than how things looked at the start of the season.

Also, by keeping the ballot to five names, I’d take the pressure off of the responders feeling they needed to name their own quarterbacks, limiting it to players these coaches and scouts felt were truly top shelf. We wound up getting some interesting results (Andrew Luck at No. 2!) out of the process.

So this week I sent the texts out, and what follows is based solely on the opinions of NFL general managers, head coaches, scouting directors, offensive coordinators and quarterbacks coaches, with two defensive coaches mixed in for good measure. I received 32 ballots back, and scored five points for each first-place vote, four points for second-place, and so on. Without further ado, here are the results …

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers: 148 points (23 first-place votes)
2. Tom Brady, Patriots: 125 points (7 first-place votes)
3. Drew Brees, Saints: 81 points (1 first-place vote)
4. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: 29 points
5. Carson Wentz, Eagles: 26 points
6. Matt Ryan, Falcons: 20 points
7. Philip Rivers, Chargers: 14 points
8. Russell Wilson, Seahawks: 12 points
9. Deshaun Watson, Texans: 7 points (1 first-place vote)
10. Cam Newton, Panthers: 6 points
11. Jimmy Garoppolo, 49ers: 5 points
12. Jared Goff, Rams: 4 points
13. Kirk Cousins, Vikings: 2 points
14. Andrew Luck, Colts; Case Keenum, Broncos; Derek Carr, Raiders: 1 point each.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/03/khalil-mack-trade-aaron-donald-contract-monday-morning-quarterback?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also, by keeping the ballot to five names, I’d take the pressure off of the responders feeling they needed to name their own quarterbacks, limiting it to players these coaches and scouts felt were truly top shelf.

yeah...I think having Case Keenum, Jimmy Garoppolo and Derek Carr receive votes shows that didn't quite work out lol...

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

yeah...I think having Case Keenum, Jimmy Garoppolo and Derek Carr receive votes shows that didn't quite work out lol...

How so?  This is in real time -- what do these guys think right now.   They are predicting the movie in advance, it hasn't run yet.  Nothing wrong or right, yet.   

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How so?  This is in real time -- what do these guys think right now.   They are predicting the movie in advance, it hasn't run yet.  Nothing wrong or right, yet.   

Do you really think anyone not associated with the Broncos thinks Case Keenum will end up being one of the top 5 QBs in the league this year? lol...I most definitely do not.

Edited by Califan007

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Do you really think anyone not associated with the Broncos thinks Case Keenum will end up being one of the top 5 QBs in the league this year? lol...I most definitely do not.

OK you don't like Keenum's inclusion from NFL executives, maybe it was Elway himself who gave him a top 5 vote.  He only got 1 vote.  Regardless, of how they got there, go through their top 10 and overall ranking, does that look wild to you?    There are many flaws with the player 100 rankings -- nonetheless, the irony of the Alex versus Kirk debate in that context was neither one were ranked by them as high as Keenum.   So as to Keenum whether certain NFL executives or players are misguided about the dude or not -- some think he is good.  I got no bone in that fight but I don't think its ridiculous that he ends up the 14th best QB in the league this year.  I personally would put him around 17-18.  

Regardless, not interested in a debate about Keenum.  I put it on the Kirk thread -- if anything I figured his critics would enjoy it.  13 seems to be where he lands in some of these debates -- personally I think he's capable of playing better than Goff.    I get the hype about Jimmy G. but the sample size is small.   And as for Andrew Luck, how the mighty have fallen if that survey reflects serious league wide perception.  Granted he hasn't played recently but the dude was the golden child, not so long ago.   

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

stuff...

You REALLY didn’t understand my posts lol...

i made no comments concerning the validity of the overall list...I only made a joke about how a few guys like Case Keemun receiving even one vote pretty much shows that some voters did indeed vote for their guys for no other reason than they are their guys. That’s it lol.

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You REALLY didn’t understand my posts lol...

i made no comments concerning the validity of the overall list...I only made a joke about how a few guys like Case Keemun receiving even one vote pretty much shows that some voters did indeed vote for their guys for no other reason than they are their guys. That’s it lol.

Ok got it.  Thought you were arguing the validity because of some potential outliers.  You were joking that some biased driven outliers weren't avoided in spite of their attempt to avoid them.  As for the three you mentioned on that front, Jimmy G though has some serious buzz so I wouldn't lump him with Keenum and Carr.  Judging by him getting 5 votes, I gather it wasn't all 49er executives. ?

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ok got it.  Thought you were arguing the validity because of some potential outliers.  You were joking that some biased driven outliers weren't avoided in spite of their attempt to avoid them.  As for the three you mentioned on that front, Jimmy G though has some serious buzz so I wouldn't lump him with Keenum and Carr.  Judging by him getting 5 votes, I gather it wasn't all 49er executives. ?

I almost didn't include Jimmy G for that same reason...But I decided john Lynch put him at #1, accounting for all 5 of his points lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tsailand said:

This part will never be acknowledged or considered in the future, I bet...this is the first time I've read that Snyder did indeed talk to Kirk:

"According to five witnesses, Snyder entered the locker room after the game and made a beeline for Griffin, stepping right past Cousins in the process. Then, with Cousins at an adjacent locker, the owner proceeded to reassure his injured quarterback that he was still the unquestioned starter.

"[Snyder] sat right next to Robert in the locker room, and all he talked about was how good he was, that he was a franchise guy -- and he was sitting right next to Kirk when he did it," Mike Shanahan recalled. "It didn't bother Kirk. . . . He just let that stuff roll off of him . . . but it bothered the rest of the players.

"A week later, I got on the phone, and I'm the one that told Dan that it had been a problem. I said, 'Did you realize what you did in the locker room? Did you realize that when you were saying all that to Robert, Kirk was right there, coming off a great game, and you didn't say one word to him?' I said, 'Kirk will be fine -- but the other guys think this is pretty f----- up.' And, of course, he had no idea."

Cousins, in an interview following an August practice, said accounts of the incident were overblown: "That's an overreaction. [Snyder] came up to me and encouraged me as well. And the fact of the matter is, at that point, [Robert] was the Rookie of the Year, and he [made] the Pro Bowl, and he was our guy. And so that kind of response is understandable. And [Snyder] did acknowledge me, so I think that got misconstrued a little bit."

• Like 2

Reading that and realizing we lost him as QB is depressing.  Can't believe out of that long article all you come way with is Snyder talked to him.  Really?

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

Reading that and realizing we lost him as QB is depressing.  Can't believe out of that long article all you come way with is Snyder talked to him.  Really?

Right.

McVay and other offensive assistants gushing about him when they don’t have to. 

Bruce and the gang better pray this is a fluff piece.

• Like 1

Love Kirk. Going to be interesting to see how he does in Minny. I do think he has a tendency to overthink things -- and that's probably why he struggles in the red zone -- but he's a very solid QB.

I also like Gruden. And I do think he doesn't get enough credit for having the cajones to tell Snyder that Kirk should be the guy, not RG3. 

Finally, Silver is a long-time trasher of Jay. Has something to do with his BFF Hue Jackson. Funny that he's trashing RG3 in this article -- this time last year he was praising him and saying Hue would fix all of Jay's mistakes.

Kirk is a good QB, but so is Alex. I dont see a big loss with him leaving and bringing in Alex instead, Im just happy to be done with the constant drama that it involved. We didnt just give up on Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. We swapped a guy who throws more TDs for a guy who turns the ball over a lot less and can still throw 20+ which I think balances out.

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Kirk is a good QB, but so is Alex. I dont see a big loss with him leaving and bringing in Alex instead, Im just happy to be done with the constant drama that it involved. We didnt just give up on Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. We swapped a guy who throws more TDs for a guy who turns the ball over a lot less and can still throw 20+ which I think balances out.

I hope you’re right.  I think on this team with our environment Smith is going to regress a lot.  

4 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Who said that's all anyone got from the article? No one. So who are you talking to here?

I did think the running narrative of Snyder completely ignoring Cousins--even to the point of Shanahan saying he witnessed it and even spoke to Snyder about it afterwards--falls almost into urban football myth territory and will be repeated for another decade, regardless of whether or not Cousins himself says it's not true. 

First of all, Kirk is a "kill them with kindness" kind of guy, so he's not going to trash Snyder publicly.

Secondly, even if it's true that Snyder gave Kirk a pat on the head too, the fact is the rest of the locker room got this impression:

According to five witnesses, Snyder entered the locker room after the game and made a beeline for Griffin, stepping right past Cousins in the process. Then, with Cousins at an adjacent locker, the owner proceeded to reassure his injured quarterback that he was still the unquestioned starter.

Snyder has been a ****ing locker room cancer every time he goes near the locker room or interacts with players.  I'm not just talking Kirk and RG3, I'm talking the last 20 years. **** that guy with a rusty ****-infected *****.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

First of all, Kirk is a "kill them with kindness" kind of guy, so he's not going to trash Snyder publicly.

Secondly, even if it's true that Snyder gave Kirk a pat on the head too, the fact is the rest of the locker room got this impression:

Snyder has been a ****ing locker room cancer every time he goes near the locker room or interacts with players.  I'm not just talking Kirk and RG3, I'm talking the last 20 years. **** that guy with a rusty ****-infected *****.

"Killing them with kindness" doesn't mean making up **** that never happened, just to be polite.

Besides, that particular moment has not been framed as "Snyder shouldn't interact with players because he ****s things up"...it's always been framed as Snyder completely, 100% ignored Cousins after his impressive performance and only talked to Griffin. Even Shanahan says as much in the article, saying he told Snyder "you didn't say one word to him." Yet Cousins says Snyder did indeed talk to him and encourage him. Which means, I'm pretty sure Snyder also told Shanahan he talked to Cousins. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Snyder does not correct Shanahan and I can't come up with one. So either Shanahan left that part out, or like I said Cousins completely made up the fact that Snyder did talk to him. Simply because he's a nice guy.

Edited by Califan007

You can't make this stuff up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/08/kirk-cousins-seeks-trademark-rights-to-you-vike-that/

Despite earning nearly $44 million in 2016 and 2017 combined and having $84 million guaranteed over the next three years, Kirk Cousins wants to cash in, potentially, with a twist to his catch phrase.

Yes, Cousins wants to own the trademark rights to “You Vike That!”

The potential opponents to the filing are the NFL and the Vikings, given that “Vike” is a shorthand reference to the legally-protected nickname of the team. Which could put Cousins and the Vikings in an awkward spot, to say the least.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

I have no problem with him wanting to trademark “you vike that”. He and his wife want to make Minnesota their forever home, which means he wants to be with the Vikings long term, like past the 3 years. He could potentially be using “you vike that” for the rest of his career. 

9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I have no problem with him wanting to trademark “you vike that”. He and his wife want to make Minnesota their forever home, which means he wants to be with the Vikings long term, like past the 3 years. He could potentially be using “you vike that” for the rest of his career. 

Personally, I feel like I’m going to get a lot of mileage out of “You Vike That”.  Really looking forward to it, in fact.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Either that, or some poverty-stricken village in Africa is gonna have a bunch of kids wearing 'You Vike That" t-shirts somewhere down the road...

Of course I still think the team is dumb for how they handled Kirk but I can still laugh at stuff like ‘You vike that’ and his grilling skills.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1