Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Stephen Hawking

Spaceman Spiff

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Stay classy.

For whom the bell tolls... But all the 'celebrity' stuff just doesn't ring true for me

It's how I feel, he was very arrogant IMO and simply didn't agree with him. Nothing against those that admire him, good for ya's. I think it's far from rude to wish his soul peace

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

For whom the bell tolls... But all the 'celebrity' stuff just doesn't ring true for me

It's how I feel, he was very arrogant IMO and simply didn't agree with him. Nothing against those that admire him, good for ya's. I think it's far from rude to wish his soul peace

You spend the rest of your days trolling RIP threads and you’re gonna need more of “God’s mercy” than Mr. Hawking ever did.

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You spend the rest of your days trolling RIP threads and you’re gonna need more of “God’s mercy” than Mr. Hawking ever did.

Well, please make no mistake, I had no intention of trolling. But, if hell awaits for internet trolling than I really need to start asking for more forgiveness for far greater transgressions one would think.

However, Hell has been described as the absence of belief. It is satan's greatest accomplishment and essentially eternal damnation. I also don't want to derail thread with religious views out of respect. So, I'll end that there

But, I was no fan of Hawkins. He promoted something that was against my core belief. I wouldn't 'spit on his grave' or protest a funeral. I also won't laud him as hero. In fact, I frankly disagree with his philosophy on things which he was no more qualified to discuss or opine on than you or me.

I respect his brilliance, great. But if I feel he didn't add nearly as much to our world as all of you, I feel I can share that on a message board.

I don't feel as part of the species 'I'm in his debt', I don't feel it's any more 'tragic' than others who suffer from ALS and I don't think he believed in the 'miracles' others described his accomplishments as.

Again, RIP and may God have mercy on his soul, and mine and anybody else who seeks it. 

25 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Well, please make no mistake, I had no intention of trolling. But, if hell awaits for internet trolling than I really need to start asking for more forgiveness for far greater transgressions one would think.

However, Hell has been described as the absence of belief. It is satan's greatest accomplishment and essentially eternal damnation. I also don't want to derail thread with religious views out of respect. So, I'll end that there

But, I was no fan of Hawkins. He promoted something that was against my core belief. I wouldn't 'spit on his grave' or protest a funeral. I also won't laud him as hero. In fact, I frankly disagree with his philosophy on things which he was no more qualified to discuss or opine on than you or me.

I respect his brilliance, great. But if I feel he didn't add nearly as much to our world as all of you, I feel I can share that on a message board.

I don't feel as part of the species 'I'm in his debt', I don't feel it's any more 'tragic' than others who suffer from ALS and I don't think he believed in the 'miracles' others described his accomplishments as.

Again, RIP and may God have mercy on his soul, and mine and anybody else who seeks it. 

"Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Are you binding them to him?

Or are you actually asking God to have mercy on his soul (loosening them)?  And if it is truly the later, why even bring it up?

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

"Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Are you binding them to him?

Or are you actually asking God to have mercy on his soul (loosening them)?  And if it is truly the later, why even bring it up?

I have no clue what you are asking, seriously.

But, I believe Hawkins had a soul and I ask for God's mercy on it as he was a non-believer. At least at more recent publications. He may have asked for forgiveness for all I know. 

A simple, and IMO kind gesture, whether he believed or not. 

15 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I have no clue what you are asking, seriously.

But, I believe Hawkins had a soul and I ask for God's mercy on it as he was a non-believer. At least at more recent publications. He may have asked for forgiveness for all I know. 

A simple, and IMO kind gesture, whether he believed or not. 

The point is that Jesus gave humans the power to forgive sins.  On one hand, you say that you want God to have mercy on his soul.  On the other hand, you are still altercating his (perceived) sins against you and seem resentful.

Either you have forgiven him and truly hope that God has mercy on his soul (have unbound them) or you have kept them bound, and if you've forgiven him, I'm not sure why you've decided to take the tact you have in this thread.

(And if as a Christian people we have unbound him and you believe what Jesus said, they will be unbound by God too.)

17 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The point is that Jesus gave humans the power to forgive sins.  On one hand, you say that you want God to have mercy on his soul.  On the other hand, you are still altercating his (perceived) sins against you and seem resentful.

Either you have forgiven him and truly hope that God has mercy on his soul (have unbound them) or you have kept them bound, and if you've forgiven him, I'm not sure why you've decided to take the tact you have in this thread.

(And if as a Christian people we have unbound him and you believe what Jesus said, they will be unbound by God too.)

So, I didn't think that deeply as you stated, but by your semantics 'I have unbound him' to whatever power I possess. But I don't know him as well.

Further, I remain underwhelmed by the reported depth of gratitude I owe this man propagated in this thread. Which apparently rubbed some the wrong way

41 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

So, I didn't think that deeply as you stated, but by your semantics 'I have unbound him' to whatever power I possess. But I don't know him as well.

Further, I remain underwhelmed by the reported depth of gratitude I owe this man propagated in this thread. Which apparently rubbed some the wrong way

Well he greatly advanced our understanding of the forces that control the universe, especially with respect to black holes (and therefore God's creation and therefore God himself).  By most reports, he was one of the greatest intellects of his generation.

Especially if we have truly forgiven his trespasses and loved him as we love ourselves, we could take a few minutes and appreciate and even celebrate those things upon his death.

(and certainly not publicly re-litigate his trespasses if they've truly been forgiven and him truly loved.)

7 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Well he greatly advanced our understanding of the forces that control the universe, especially with respect to black holes (and therefore God's creation and therefore God himself).  By most reports, he was one of the greatest intellects of his generation.

Especially if we have truly forgiven his trespasses and loved him as we love ourselves, we could take a few minutes and appreciate and even celebrate those things upon his death.

(and certainly not publicly re-litigate his trespasses if they've truly been forgiven and him truly loved.)

Sure enough... goes the other way to. I don't need to make him a saint either. Which is what I was referring to with references to him being a 'miracle' and an entire 'species in his debt'. 

Just no for me, but as I said, RIP

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Sure enough... goes the other way to. I don't need to make him a saint either. Which is what I was referring to with references to him being a 'miracle' and an entire 'species in his debt'. 

Just no for me, but as I said, RIP

There are a lot of people that don't handle diseases like ALS well- that end up being angry in general and in some cases extremely hostile to a belief in God.  That didn't seem to be him.  He seemed to handle his illness with dignity and grace, and while open about his beliefs, he never came off to me hostile as the New Atheists do.  Even people that don't have to carry the burden of his disease fall into such traps.

Based on all of the public accounts that I know of, he acted as a good person (e.g. followed the golden rule).

I think given his intellect, the disease must have been especially frustrating.  It must have been a limiting factor (e.g. a time sink) and there must have been a sense in his mind of what he could have accomplished without the disease where he could accomplish things that essentially no other living person could.

In addition, given his intellect, where it must have been clear early on that he was special, it is very hard for there to be a sense of humbleness and not take on a sense of self-importance.

All of us are miracles and should be celebrated as such.  Somebody with his intellect is certainly a miracle.  Somebody with his intellect and his disease that does not fall into a trap of despair and anger is absolutely a miracle.

We all should celebrate that he escaped such traps that many do fall into and that he dedicated his life and intellect to a purpose that will benefit us all in terms of better understanding our universe  vs. falling into a trap of anger and despair and wasting his talent or even worse openly using his talent for overtly negative purposes.

While there is a certain appeal to being known as a generationally great scientist (and the attention and adulation that brings), I'm honestly happy that I was not given the hand he was given.  I seriously question whether I would have dealt with it with the grace, dignity, and achievement that he did.

Archived