Burgold

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Recommended Posts

I think randy made a couple excellent points about how we will need doctson regardless of how we(I feel he'll be cut if a couple rookies emerge)feel about him,which leads me to randy's other point...these rookies look good through camp and pre season to at least get a shot but we never see them on the field when things go live..mo harris is one player that just makes me scratch my head to as why he didn't get more play time..I mean who dosen't have that un.   believable one handed catch for a td against minny run through there head..and iirc he did well when he came in occasionally..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I gots a feeling mclovin is gonna have us forgetting about qarcon!!..

 

Nah dont get me wrong I absolutely loved qarcon being a skin he gave it everything he had..matter fact I need a qarcon Jersey for the win he got the skins against philly..remember that bad ass catch across the goal line for the go ahead win..he instantly became a redskin legend in my book!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched a bunch of twitter videos of today’s practice.

 

My take is that Doctson breaks out this year. He looks into it and hopefully he’s motivated by the 5th year option. On one play where Josh picked off a pass that was overthrown to Doctson, Josh turned around as to make a tackle of Norman. I like that kind of hustle. 

 

Robert Davis has all the tangibles but not the hands and I don’t see him making the squad. I think Cam and Harmon are battling each other for the 53 with the other as PS. 

 

I said it in another thread but I could see Steven Sims making the team and getting a lot of playing time in the slot. He’s got a lot of twitch and he’s ideal for the slot.  I’m just not convinced on Quinn. 

 

Lastly Jordan looks great so far. We need him to be the man!

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Just watched a bunch of twitter videos of today’s practice.

 

My take is that Doctson breaks out this year. He looks into it and hopefully he’s motivated by the 5th year option. On one play where Josh picked off a pass that was overthrown to Doctson, Josh turned around as to make a tackle of Norman. I like that kind of hustle. 

 

Robert Davis has all the tangibles but not the hands and I don’t see him making the squad. I think Cam and Harmon are battling each other for the 53 with the other as PS. 

 

I said it in another thread but I could see Steven Sims making the team and getting a lot of playing time in the slot. He’s got a lot of twitch and he’s ideal for the slot.  I’m just not convinced on Quinn. 

 

Lastly Jordan looks great so far. We need him to be the man!

 

JP Finlay thinks Quinn has the slot position locked up.  He says he’ looked that good.  I’d let Davis go.  I’m not sold on Doctson, but I’d get rid of him no matter what, unless he has a ridiculously good season.

 

Really Id like to see Richardson, Harmon, McLaurin, Quinn, and Sims.  Maybe I have one too many possession receivers, but whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Who ya gonna cut in this group ?

 

Doctston - Richardson - Quinn - McLauren - Harmon - CSims - RDavis

That's 7 guys who all make a strong case to make the roster.

and perhaps even more.

Robert Davis.

 

Next question?

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Really Id like to see Richardson, Harmon, McLaurin, Quinn, and Sims.  Maybe I have one too many possession receivers, but whatever.

 

I guess you never fully know, but this seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Two rookies, one of which was a 6th round pick. Richardson has been a walking injury in his career. And then two first year players, one of which was undrafted and the other was the last pick in the draft. In addition to Richardson, both Sims and Quinn spent the majority of their rookies seasons on IR. Three of the players have yet to register an NFL catch. And combined the 5 players can count one season over 300 yards.

 

I get Doctson is not a sexy player and ideally would be replace long-term, but he at least has thrown up 500 yards in each of the last two years. I think a lot of people here are assuming a lot of immediate production with the young players, and that's not common for WRs. Not impossible, but not common either.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

Does he go to the PS ?
Does he last on the PS ?

Maybe.

Probably not. As the season goes on, WRs with better potential will probably drop to FA for us to sign, probably someone who at least has a preseason highlights tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jericho said:

 

I guess you never fully know, but this seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Two rookies, one of which was a 6th round pick. Richardson has been a walking injury in his career. And then two first year players, one of which was undrafted and the other was the last pick in the draft. In addition to Richardson, both Sims and Quinn spent the majority of their rookies seasons on IR. Three of the players have yet to register an NFL catch. And combined the 5 players can count one season over 300 yards.

 

I get Doctson is not a sexy player and ideally would be replace long-term, but he at least has thrown up 500 yards in each of the last two years. I think a lot of people here are assuming a lot of immediate production with the young players, and that's not common for WRs. Not impossible, but not common either.

This year is the year the sun shines on a dogs ass in the rookie wr break out department..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

for us to sign, probably someone who at least has a preseason highlights tape.

 

Let the records state that NickyJ is not impressed by the performance on Robert Davis' "OTA Highlight Reel", nor his "Gym Workout Reel"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At camp today, I thought McLaurin and Sims stood out.

 

in the walk throughs I noticed Richardson, Doctson, McLaurin and Quinn played with the 1’s.

 

Sims and Harmon were with the 2’s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At camp today, I thought McLaurin and Sims stood out.

 

 

 

Don't we have 2 WR's named Sims now ? 😄

 

But seriously, I can tell you're talking about Cam.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God damn it. Watching clips and I hate this about us but we're really gonna fall in love with a 5'6" 170lb punt returner this preseason. I just know it. Damn it. 

 

Us being ESers of course. Dude looks like lightning. Now Tarik Cohen has shown that a dude that size can make an impact (though he's a RB). I hate when people invoke Sproles bc he is built like a tank, just short. But I'm sure some will do that anyways.

 

But he seems like the kind of dude who will probably flash some exciting stuff late in preseason games and get us all riled up. Even moreso if he's actually a ST's demon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like, even over the years, I never hear stories about Sprinkle making great catches in practice or camp.

Meanwhile repeatedly, guys who don't even make the team, reportedly are making frequent good catches.

Has anyone even heard of Sprinkle doing things great in a practice ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems like, even over the years, I never hear stories about Sprinkle making great catches in practice or camp.

Meanwhile repeatedly, guys who don't even make the team, reportedly are making frequent good catches.

Has anyone even heard of Sprinkle doing things great in a practice ?

 

Youre right. Not too much about Sprinkle. However the guy who is intriguing to me is the rookie TE Parham. Guy’s 6’8 and seems to be able to move. With Reed now seeming to be healthy and looking good so far, I would rather see a different guy as the 3rd TE. Sprinkles main attribute is blocking and he hasn’t really shown a lot in that area. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to attend camp the past couple of seasons, although with a newborn in the house I skipped this year, I've always come away impressed with how Doctson looks. But, the season starts and he's just a "meh" player. I don't think he's awful, I actually think he'll have a fairly long career by NFL standards, but will probably bounce from team to team after he leaves here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

 

Youre right. Not too much about Sprinkle. However the guy who is intriguing to me is the rookie TE Parham. Guy’s 6’8 and seems to be able to move. With Reed now seeming to be healthy and looking good so far, I would rather see a different guy as the 3rd TE. Sprinkles main attribute is blocking and he hasn’t really shown a lot in that area. 

 

He's got freakish size for sure.

 

 

 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This hurts to read. Especially with basically no slot depth behind Quinn:

 

"MassLive.com's Andrew Callahan reports Patriots WR Maurice Harris has been the best wideout in camp by a "decent margin."

Callahan is just the latest member of the Patriots press corps to praise the ex-Redskin. Despite his 6-foot-3 frame, Harris has a slot skill-set, which fits perfectly with the offense Tom Brady must execute as a 42-year-old. Early camp hype should always be taken with a grain of salt — especially in New England — but Harris was intriguing the day he signed, and is even more so now. He is someone to keep an eye on this summer.

SOURCE: masslive.com

Jul 27, 2019, 7:43 PM ET"

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This video kind of explains part of the reason why Vernon Davis is such a freak even at his age...he was a Super Freak way back at the combine.

Would you believe he's included among this video's "Strongest Players in NFL History" ?

They refer to him as "one of the greatest pure athletes ever"

His total numbers in their "formula" ranked him higher than even James Harrison.

They start on Vernon at 5:00 in the video.

 

 

 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we even tried Mo in the slot. Heck, he barely ever played. The failed experiment of moving Crowder outside sealed his fate here, as Crowder was forced back inside. We know that Mo was slow as MOlasses by NFL standards so a slot job seems perfect for him.  Mo had a decent camp last year and then got concussed in the final preseason game, which opened the door for Sims/Quinn.   I like a slot guy to have size as they take a lot of abuse. Fantasy folks loved Theilan who dominated in the slot. I think he is moving back outside so expect him to come back to earth this season, and think Diggs can surpass him. 

 

I think I read that Sims was solid in the slot.  If true I wonder if he and Quinn are actually in a slot battle. In my mind Sims is an outside guy but in part from his size. Quinn is cut from the traditional Edelman Walker Amendola waterbug mold so he is slot or bench. 

 

You gotta give the starter nod to Doctson and Richardson out wide this year no matter how painful that sounds. It will be tough for any kid to unseat either to start the year.  But the slot is ripe for a kid to snag. Lets hope they snag a ton.  It seems all great offenses trot out that stud slot guy that is virtually unstoppable.

 

EDIT and I see know Jay alleged the slot WR job is already Quinns

Edited by RandyHolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This hurts to read. Especially with basically no slot depth behind Quinn

That's the glass is half empty perspective. 

Let me offer the other half.

 

A reciever who we groomed and decided to let go because we liked our other receivers more is now looking like the best receiver on the current super bowl champions roster.

 

Someone like mason foster for example, he may never play another down in the nfl, a guy who was our starter last year and expected to be a starter this year.

If that happens that's a bad thing, it means that position on your roster really sucks.

But when your castoffs are shining on the defending champs that's usually a very good sign.

Edited by redskinss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That's the glass is half empty perspective. 

Let me offer the other half.

 

A reciever who we groomed and decided to let go because we liked our other receivers more is now looking like the best receiver on the current super bowl champions roster.

 

he's playing with Tom Brady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.