Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

14 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I think they’ve started practicing them, meaning they have 3 weeks to practice without counting against the 53 before Redskins have to activate to 53 or shut them down for the year. 

Theyve been practicing.. that tweet reads to me that quinn was activated to the 53

Looking on the teams page, Quinn shows on the roster, Marshall still shows on the Injured / Reserve list. 

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Arie Kouandjio

Cam Sims

Derrius Guice

Geron Christian Sr.

Troy Apke

Paul Richardson Jr.

Byron Marshall

Shawn Lauvao

Rob Kelley

Robert Davis

Brandon Scherff

Tyler Catalina

Manasseh Garner

Nobody on that list thats worth holding the IR designation is going to be ready by the end of the season.  The only people I would prefer to bring back I bolded, and none of them have a chance to return. 

I highlighted Davis, but I don't think he's an enormous upgrade, I would like to see the kid get a shot.  

The other thing is that I wish we'd activate Sims over Marshall.  I still feel like we need help outside and he had a knack for the big play, in the limited role we saw him in.  IIRC he wasn't only doing it in the 4th quarter against guys who weren't gonna make the team, he was looking good against 2nd string defenses.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thought that was what Sprinkle was for.

Are we considering him a bust ?

He is clearly our blocking TE with Reed and Vernon on the roster. But even blocking TEs get a bone tossed to them every now and then.

0.0 receptions this year..... when we finally call his number on a trick play he better be wide open.  4th and 1. Don Warren style.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

He is clearly our blocking TE with Reed and Vernon on the roster. But even blocking TEs get a bone tossed to them every now and then.

0.0 receptions this year..... when we finally call his number on a trick play he better be wide open.  4th and 1. Don Warren style.

40 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I think Sprinkle is more a blocking tight end. 

I see him as the Donny Warren to Jordan Reed's Clint Didier.

IIRC, he was drafted with the intention of being both, a blocker as well as a possible backup and eventual replacement for Reed.

However, while he apparently lived up to expectations as a blocker, he seems to have been a disappointment as a receiver, based on

the expectations from reports I've heard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

IIRC, he was drafted with the intention of being both, a blocker as well as a possible backup and eventual replacement for Reed.

However, while he apparently lived up to expectations as a blocker, he seems to have been a disappointment as a receiver, based on

the expectations from reports I've heard.

Wouldn't mind if we considered Irv Smith, Jr depending on how the chips fall in the draft.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:38 AM, RandyHolt said:

We did, Smith missed him 3 yards.

He's actually a good receiver, he just isn't as good of a athlete as Reed or Davis. He's a big guy that has decent speed, but he's not going to out-quick anyone. I really thought he would get a few more looks in the passing game by this point.

At 6'5" and 250, he's a big dude, and ran a 4.69 40, so he has decent speed for a big guy. I think he's kinda slipped between the cracks as a receiver because of Davis and Reed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

We did, Smith missed him 3 yards.

He's actually a good receiver, he just isn't as good of a athlete as Reed or Davis. He's a big guy that has decent speed, but he's not going to out-quick anyone. I really thought he would get a few more looks in the passing game by this point.

At 6'5" and 250, he's a big dude, and ran a 4.69 40, so he has decent speed for a big guy. I think he's kinda slipped between the cracks as a receiver because of Davis and Reed.

Yep.  Kinda hard to say anything bad about him as a receiver... but hard to say anything good either.  I thought (and expected) he would serve a Logan Paulsen/Mike Seller type of role - mostly blocking, but with a couple or few looks per game.  

Bottom line though - at this point, we can’t go into next season with him as the #1 or even 2 TE.  Well... maybe penciled in at number 2 with a promising prospect behind him (if we lose/get rid of either Davis or Reed and draft a guy).  

Edited by skinny21

Quinn looked good.  Mo Harris is now bumped from slot, which pushes him back towards obscurity.   Maybe Crowder too.  With a short week, if he couldn't play on Sunday, signs point to no go on Thursday as well.  I feel like between he and CT, one will end up on IR. 

Floyd and his drops.... yikes.  Davis wasn't much better. 

Poor Sprinkle, no targets again.  But we did the 3 TE set I saw NE do a decade ago. All 3 out wide, and 2 become blockers.  I love the concept but the blocking looked meh.

Washington Receiving
  REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
Jordan Reed 7 71 10.1 1 24 11
Trey Quinn 4 49 12.3 0 15 4
Josh Doctson 3 32 10.7 0 12 7
Michael Floyd 1 18 18.0 0 18 3
Maurice Harris 1 13 13.0 0 13 4
Kapri Bibbs 2 6 3.0 0 6 3
Byron Marshall 0 0 0.0 0 0 1
TEAM 18 189 10.5 1 24 33

If you step back to see the forest through the trees, the leading WR for the Skins is  Harris with 291 yards.  That places him at #105 for receiving yards this year in the NFL (including RBs and TEs).  He is #68 if you only count WRs.  Something has to change in DC with the WR situation.  

• Like 1

I want to see Quinn get a monster target load.  You see all the time when the backup QB comes in and he clicks right away with the #5 WR.  Although hmmm Quinn was out most of the year, and seemed to have good rapport with Alex so he and Coy may not be best buds.  Quinn probably got a ton of work with Alex over the summer since we played him in week 1.

I bet McCoy has gotten a ton of scout team work with one Maurice Harris. DFS FTW. 

I want to have ONE fantasy viable WR... I gotta represent.

Here's to hoping Quinn can be a little security blanket for McCoy next few weeks. Seems to have found some nice zones in his return. Reed's targets definitely going up in my opinion to. Need to air a few out to Harris and Doctson down the sideline just to keep Cowgirls honest today.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

• Like 1