Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If I had to choose a position to get decimated by injuries with Alex Smith at QB, it would be WR.  Not really worried unless/until CT25/AD/Reed start missing games. 

Yeah agree that Thompson and Reed are way more important.

15 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

I have a sneaky (desperate?) suspicion that maybe Mo Harris can eventually prove to be that secondary deep threat option. If back healthy, and targeted deep, this dude can haul in some good 1 vs 1 balls and scare defenses. ( and if not him, maybe Doctson steps up )

I think Doctson is more likely that guy in part because he's faster than Harris.  But who knows.  Hopefully Richardson is all right.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Doctson is more likely that guy in part because he's faster than Harris.  But who knows.  Hopefully Richardson is all right.

I'd love it if the Colts defense allows for some downfield strikes to the WRs. It's important that they stay plugged in. I'm already getting unhappy with Doctson's blocking efforts. I'm hoping that the coaches and players discuss this with him in the film room. Aside from that, I don't want him getting frustrated and slack on his routes out of resignation. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I'd love it if the Colts defense allows for some downfield strikes to the WRs. It's important that they stay plugged in. I'm already getting unhappy with Doctson's blocking efforts. I'm hoping that the coaches and players discuss this with him in the film room. Aside from that, I don't want him getting frustrated and slack on his routes out of resignation. 

Yeah I loved the Doctson pick at the time, the dude had incredible hands/vertical ability.  Years back I had the opportunity to ask Scot McCloughan about Doctson directly and he told me he reminded him of Dez Bryant (back when Bryant was good).  But I have to admit, I don't love him coming off lackadasical as a blocker and for that matter sometimes as a player.  I haven't given up hope on him though -- hopefully he gets it going.  

Jumping into draft talk a little, it is tempting to go back to that WR well in next draft, AJ Brown -- or maybe and or insurance for Jordan Reed with someone like Noah Fant.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I loved the Doctson pick at the time, the dude had incredible hands/vertical ability.  Years back I had the opportunity to ask Scot McCloughan about Doctson directly and he told me he reminded him of Dez Bryant (back when Bryant was good).  But I have to admit, I don't love him coming off lackadasical as a blocker and for that matter sometimes as a player.  I haven't given up hope on him though -- hopefully he gets it going.  

Jumping into draft talk a little, it is tempting to go back to that WR well in next draft, AJ Brown -- or maybe and or insurance for Jordan Reed with someone like Noah Fant.  

It's always fun to talk Draft, but man, it's so early. I would say that if all three TEs stay healthy and effective, keep them all for another year. Paying Crowder what he may be asking for in the offseason is a tough call for me. Even if he has a fairly good year, I just don't know how I'd feel about paying out a large contract on him. Maybe he will change my thinking on this throughout the year. If he does walk to FA, then wideout becomes an obvious, high priority need. 

I get the feeling that Preston Smith will look for the big FA payout, so drafting OLB is penciled in high on my list right now. All in all, I don't currently see that many positional needs. We also should have a couple of 3rd rd comp picks, IIRC. I guess we will see how things go, and get a better idea of what's what in these months ahead. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

It's always fun to talk Draft, but man, it's so early. I would say that if all three TEs stay healthy and effective, keep them all for another year. Paying Crowder what he may be asking for in the offseason is a tough call for me. Even if he has a fairly good year, I just don't know how I'd feel about paying out a large contract on him. Maybe he will change my thinking on this throughout the year. If he does walk to FA, then wideout becomes an obvious, high priority need. 

I get the feeling that Preston Smith will look for the big FA payout, so drafting OLB is penciled in high on my list right now. All in all, I don't currently see that many positional needs. We also should have a couple of 3rd rd comp picks, IIRC. I guess we will see how things go, and get a better idea of what's what in these months ahead. 

looks like we're gonna have replacements for Crowder, specifically Quinn....he has the makings of a great slot guy. I'm also thinking with Robert Davis and Sims healthy we'll have plenty of options at WR...healthy is the key word there of course. The only way I see us paying JC is if he has a huge year and Alex demands they keep him. 

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

looks like we're gonna have replacements for Crowder, specifically Quinn....he has the makings of a great slot guy. I'm also thinking with Robert Davis and Sims healthy we'll have plenty of options at WR...healthy is the key word there of course. The only way I see us paying JC is if he has a huge year and Alex demands they keep him. 

You could easily have it right. I'm feeling a bit nervous in the durability of these WRs, but we'll see. 

53 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

You could easily have it right. I'm feeling a bit nervous in the durability of these WRs, but we'll see. 

From Gruden's perspective, getting to put Sims on regular season IR and having Quick still available might be sort of blessing in disguise.  Not personally sure of this, but I understand that Gruden considers Quick an excellent special teams guy and an adequate 4 or 5 while Sims was an unproven 5 (loads of potential maybe good enough to claw his way up) and an adequate teams guy.  If he wants to be that run first team and being certain we can replace Crowder, Trey Quinn looks to be the guy that we'd miss (though I've never seen anything that would cast doubt on to Sims blocking ability).

35 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

From Gruden's perspective, getting to put Sims on regular season IR and having Quick still available might be sort of blessing in disguise.  Not personally sure of this, but I understand that Gruden considers Quick an excellent special teams guy and an adequate 4 or 5 while Sims was an unproven 5 (loads of potential maybe good enough to claw his way up) and an adequate teams guy.  If he wants to be that run first team and being certain we can replace Crowder, Trey Quinn looks to be the guy that we'd miss (though I've never seen anything that would cast doubt on to Sims blocking ability).

What I would love to see now or soon is the emergence of Mo. Enough of the teasing 1 handers in practice, and the glimpses of excellence. With the injuries to the others, and the likely limited reps of Richardson, I would love it if Mo can step in and give us a memorable performance soon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think week 1 was pretty close to what we envisioned our team looking like on our best case scenario.  Many players played their role very well.  Injuries are bound to strike, amd some players will hit inconsistent streaks, but if we look at the lineup as it is now, and assuming Preston and Crowder walk, I feel we have 6 short term needs.  

1.  LG

2.  OLB

3.  WR

4. TE, could become high priority if JR misses time

5.  S

6.  ILB

The good thing is unlike QB and ot, I think pro bowl players are routinely found in the mid rounds for most of these positions. As far as wr goes, I think we could get a Parris Campbell or deebo Samuel on the second day and still have upgraded the position, allowing us a BPA play on Thursday night between five or six positions.  So while we could pounce on aj brown if he fell to us, if there was a higher rated player at any of these other positions on the board, we could feel comfortable at addressing wr later.  While it would be nice to have a stud, as long as we have balance and depth, I think this team they way it is structured would be just fine. And the reason I feel confident with our balance and depth is because of how Sims, Harris, Quinn, and Davis each have the potential  to play their role well within our system.  

And it is way too early to talk about the draft, but it makes watching college football that much better when you envision these prospects filling holes for us. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Pretty sure just one 3rd round comp pick.  But they do have their own #3 round pick, too.  Then if I recall a 5th, 6th and 7th?  As for the draft, I am a BPA kind of guy so not really married to any position but there are some pass catchers who are intriguing thus far who are likely coming out of this draft.  As for a pass rusher, yeah I am in the mode of it never hurts to load up in that department -- LG is obviously intriguing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I think week 1 was pretty close to what we envisioned our team looking like on our best case scenario.  Many players played their role very well.  Injuries are bound to strike, amd some players will hit inconsistent streaks, but if we look at the lineup as it is now, and assuming Preston and Crowder walk, I feel we have 6 short term needs.  

1.  LG

2.  OLB

3.  WR

4. TE, could become high priority if JR misses time

5.  S

6.  ILB

The good thing is unlike QB and ot, I think pro bowl players are routinely found in the mid rounds for most of these positions. As far as wr goes, I think we could get a Parris Campbell or deebo Samuel on the second day and still have upgraded the position, allowing us a BPA play on Thursday night between five or six positions.  So while we could pounce on aj brown if he fell to us, if there was a higher rated player at any of these other positions on the board, we could feel comfortable at addressing wr later. 

And it is way too early to talk about the draft, but it makes watching college football that much better when you envision these prospects filling holes for us. 

I mostly agree with this.  I am a BPA guy so whomever they have rated highest on their board is where I'd go.  To your point though about receivers, seems like you don't have to use a first rounder typically at that position if anything it seems to be a jinx especially with this team.  We should just find out who the Steelers like at Wr and draft that guy!  ? N'Keal Harry?  He has the size to do those fades Jay loves. DK Metcalf, just burned Alabama on a bomb TD on the first play -- another big WR.

Just now, primetime441 said:

Apparently, Josh Gordon is getting released.  Unless he's getting suspended or it's something serious I'd give him a look.

Yeah just saw that.  The dude is a beast but wonder if he's conquered his pot habit. 

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Browns GM John Dorsey: “For the past six years, the Browns have fully supported and invested in Josh, both personally and professionally and wanted the best for him, but unfortunately we’ve reached a point where we feel it’s best to part ways and move forward. We wish Josh well.”

Will Brinson Retweeted

Browns announce they're releasing Josh Gordon. Per a source, Gordon did not report to the facility on time th

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

On Josh Gordon: He was late today to the facility, source said. In addition, he was fine at Friday’s practice, then injured his hamstring. The question of how is part of the reason they released him. My understanding is it’s an overall trust issue for a player on thin ice.

Rich TandlerVerified account @TandlerNBCS
FollowingFollowing @TandlerNBCS
More

Rich Tandler Retweeted Quinton Mayo

I believe that Gordon is subject to waiver claim. I don’t think he has accrued four seasons. So #Redskins may not even have a shot.

Updated: #BrownsCLEBrowns18.png Gordon showed up late to the facility on Saturday morning and was 'not himself.' Red flag for possible substance use was the concern of some in the org, sources tell clevelanddotcom

Joel Corry Retweeted Mike Melchione

Players with 4 or more years of pension credit (at least 3 regular or postseason games on 53-man roster, IR or PUP needed for a credit) aren't subject to waivers until after the trading deadline. Josh Gordon has 4 (2012-14 & 2017).

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Teams already calling the Browns, who league sources believe are far more likely to trade Josh Gordon than release him. Gordon is a vested vet and is not subject to waivers. So if he is cut, he is a free agent and can sign where he wants, for what he wants. A lot at stake.

58 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Cleveland is stupid as ****

Not at all. They are a losing franchise who is trying to change the culture of their club. They have stuck by this guy for a billion years and if they have any inclination that he once again abused their trust, eventually you have to break ties. Browns have done everything in their power to stick by him, but at a certain point, you really do have to move on. I hope he lands on his feet, which I'm sure he will but I also don't blame the Browns one bit.

• Like 2

I'm on the fence with Josh Gordon....I remember RG3 pushing for him once he entered the supplemental draft.  Very talented kid with a good work ethic.  We don't necessarily need another WR who can't stay on the field though.  

Maybe Trent Williams can get in his ear and get him clean.  Hopefully he can take the Trent Williams path and not the Fred Davis path.  He's running out of chances.