Burgold

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Recommended Posts

On 8/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, Jericho said:

 

They're not exactly nobodies. Nelson Agholor is a former first round pick (only 3 years ago) and Torrey Smith had had numerous good seasons (and a career high  of 1,128 yards and he was only 28 last year). Not to mention Brent Celek (similar career to Vernon Davis). And Zach Ertz and Alshon Jeffrey are former Pro Bowlers.

 

Celek is gone, so is Burton.  But they added Goedert at TE, which should do well in that system.

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its funny people talk about Alghalor, but before last year he basically was the Eagles version of Doctson with his drops and general inconsistency. But he figured it out in year 3.

 

I don't know if Doc will ever be a gamebreaking stud but I think he can be a solid 1100-1200 yard #1 WR who is money in the red area.

 

He was outside a lot, with Jordan Mathews on the roster.  He moved inside to a more natural position, and it clearly made him more comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to TC onlookers, Crowder has built some good chemistry with Alex Smith.  And Charlie Casserly says he's our best looking wide receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

According to TC onlookers, Crowder has built some good chemistry with Alex Smith.  And Charlie Casserly says he's our best looking wide receiver.

 

If Crowder is the number 1 target, he will open up other receivers.

This is a great thing to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 3:29 PM, HardcoreZorn said:

Real talk, do you think anybody was talking about Agholor as a good WR last year? Players develop and especially receivers can take big steps forward from years 2 to 3. So why dismiss Doc so easily?

 

Or are you talking about Mike Wallace? Because I would argue Richardson will be for us what Wallace will be for the Eagles this year.

 

Our group is nothing to scoff at when you add Reed and Thompson. I'd be shocked if we don't get more out of Reed this year than last.

 

And we are trending more toward a run oriented team I would think with Guice and Alex running some RPO. I know you are high on Guice. We also have a really good front 7 it would appear. So I think it's fine that we don't have some game changing player at the WR position and collectively I think they will be a serviceable group.

 

Agholor was in every way better than Doctson. More catches, more yards, more TD's and a better completion % and he is their #2. Doct is our #1.  Unless you're talking about 2016, in which case you have a point. However, he's still only the #2, not the #1 WR. Jeffery is much better than anything we have.

 

Wallace has done more than Richardson. I'm not a huge fan of Wallace actually at this stage, but Wallace is likely a #3. Still in a better position than we are.

 

Our unit is bad, and becomes marginal when you add those 2.

 

Maybe. But when has Gruden REALLY committed to the run? That, and we'll need to be better run blocking as well, especially when it's short yardage. I really hope we commit to being a physical running football team, and can block like it. If we do, I think we're a much better team than we have been in several years.

 

20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its funny people talk about Alghalor, but before last year he basically was the Eagles version of Doctson with his drops and general inconsistency. But he figured it out in year 3.

 

I don't know if Doc will ever be a gamebreaking stud but I think he can be a solid 1100-1200 yard #1 WR who is money in the red area.

 

That I think might really be pushing it. I hope so, but I don't seem him being real consistent. I was a big advocate for him early on, but I think I goofed.

Edited by Morneblade
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vanguard said:

According to TC onlookers, Crowder has built some good chemistry with Alex Smith.  And Charlie Casserly says he's our best looking wide receiver.

 

All things considered, Crowder *should* be our best looking receiver. He's been in the offense longest and has accomplished the most in the league. I would love it if one day someone like Doctson surpasses him...that would be a great development. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 7:58 PM, Warhead36 said:

Its funny people talk about Alghalor, but before last year he basically was the Eagles version of Doctson with his drops and general inconsistency. But he figured it out in year 3.

 

I don't know if Doc will ever be a gamebreaking stud but I think he can be a solid 1100-1200 yard #1 WR who is money in the red area.

 

This is at least partially true. No comparison is perfect, but it's a reasonable one. That being said, if people think Agholor=Doctson and Richardson=Wallace, that still leaves the Eagles with their best receiver, Alshon Jeffrey. And the Redskins have nothing close to that level. We also have to admit that Agholor took a step forward last year. And while Doctson has the potential to do the same, he hasn't done it yet. Oh yeah, and the Eagles have a Pro Bowl TE in Ertz. Which the Redskins kind of do as well, if Reed is ever healthy

 

Which is really the point. I see the upside in Doctson. I see the upside in Richardson. I see the upside in Reed. But getting all those players to: (1) stay healthy and (2) improve is a pretty tall ask. Because this is the NFL. And injuries happen. And players don't always take the developmental path you think or hope for. So in a best case scenario, Doctson stays healthy and takes another step forward. And Richardson stays healthy and takes another step forward. And Reed just stays healthy. And Crowder even returns to his 2016 levels. And if all that happens, the Redskins probably end up with a Top 15 receiving core. Or possibly better. But it probably won't turn out that way. Because most of the time you don't get a best case outcome.

 

I'm not sure I really get the Eagles comparisons. Yes, they won a Super Bowl. And yes, their receivers weren't great. But it's also not the strength of the Eagles. So being as good as a weaker unit on another team isn't exactly a selling point. And I think any objective measurement would say the Eagles have better receivers anyway. So the Redskins are not as strong as even the Eagles. Unless things go really well. In which case, maybe the Redskins end up better.

 

Of all the units on the team, I can see how the receiving corps is the really Achilles' heel. One bad injury or bad development and things could go south in a hurry. Even if the 3rd or 4th receivers take a step up, it won't obscure the fact this team likely lacks a true #1. You really need a healthy Reed or a huge developmental leap from Doctson to fill that role. And that's a bit worrisome for a coach that loves to throw the ball.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maurice Harris is getting better and better...his catch against the Vikings last year was incredible and he's making those kind of plays in camp this year. If he continues to play at a high level we are going to have a very, very good group of WR's. Again, the key is Jordan Reed's health, but if Alex Smith can develop chemistry with Doc, JC, PRich and guys like Harris and Robert Davis we are gonna be in for a treat. I'm sure he already has good chemistry with VD too having played with him before. Lots of talent with our WR's, and I haven't even heard how Simmi Cobbs and Mr. Irrelevant are doing?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harris has played himself onto the 53. Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Harris, and two others. I think Quinn makes it. Who is the last?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Harris has played himself onto the 53. Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Harris, and two others. I think Quinn makes it. Who is the last?

 

Most people anticipate Brian Quick. But Davis is also a favorite underdog because of potential (and size).... but also because he plays teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

 

Most people anticipate Brian Quick. But Davis is also a favorite underdog because of potential (and size).... but also because he plays teams.

I agree with David & Quinn as the last two.  While no "superstar" power, it appears we may have a deep group that is just scratching the surface.  Excited!  Hail

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think Kirk played a large factor with Doctson as well.

 

After the conclusion of the Kirk saga, it was especially evident last season that Kirk was playing for stats more than anything. Young receiving options didn’t get many chances with balls and he went to guys he was most comfortable with most of the time.

 

With a QB under center on a long term contract, and one who has played in the league longer with several different receiving cores, I think it will help Doctsons development immensely in a critical year for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I also think Kirk played a large factor with Doctson as well.

 

After the conclusion of the Kirk saga, it was especially evident last season that Kirk was playing for stats more than anything. Young receiving options didn’t get many chances with balls and he went to guys he was most comfortable with most of the time.

 

With a QB under center on a long term contract, and one who has played in the league longer with several different receiving cores, I think it will help Doctsons development immensely in a critical year for him.

 

Doctson was the 2nd most targeted player on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any real reason that we should keep 6 WR's instead of 5? I think Quick, Davis, Sims and Cobbs would all get minimal snaps as the 6th WR, and could all be stashed on the practice squad without another team grabbing them. I think I might rather use that roster spot for an extra defensive back, OL, or Rb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Is there any real reason that we should keep 6 WR's instead of 5? I think Quick, Davis, Sims and Cobbs would all get minimal snaps as the 6th WR, and could all be stashed on the practice squad without another team grabbing them. I think I might rather use that roster spot for an extra defensive back, OL, or Rb. 

 I don’t believe Quick is practice squad eligible. If you were thinking of Quinn I think there’s a chance he could possibly  get scooped up by another team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Is there any real reason that we should keep 6 WR's instead of 5? I think Quick, Davis, Sims and Cobbs would all get minimal snaps as the 6th WR, and could all be stashed on the practice squad without another team grabbing them. I think I might rather use that roster spot for an extra defensive back, OL, or Rb. 

Well, I agree except maybe for Davis.  When you have a guy with good athletic traits - speed and size - that starts showing progress learning the system, running the routes, etc., then you risk losing him if a team has an injury or two.  Davis (again, assuming he’s not looking lost out there) would represent a low risk/(potentially) high reward move.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

 I don’t believe Quick is practice squad eligible. If you were thinking of Quinn I think there’s a chance he could possibly  get scooped up by another team.

 

I think Quinn makes the 53. Crowder, Doctson, RIchardson, Harris and Quinn make it I think. And I think we WILL carry a 6th. I just don't think we should. 

 

"Well, I agree except maybe for Davis.  When you have a guy with good athletic traits - speed and size - that starts showing progress learning the system, running the routes, etc., then you risk losing him if a team has an injury or two.  Davis (again, assuming he’s not looking lost out there) would represent a low risk/(potentially) high reward move.  "

 

I like Robert Davis for that reason also. A 6'3", 219 pound player with a 136" broad jump, a 41" vertical, and 4.44 speed has a lot to work with. That being said, there are big, fast players every year that are taken late or signed as UFA and don't make it. I'll root for him if he is here, but I'd like to see him on the PS. 

 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/robert-davis?id=2558254

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

 

I think Quinn makes the 53. Crowder, Doctson, RIchardson, Harris and Quinn make it I think. And I think we WILL carry a 6th. I just don't think we should. 

 

"Well, I agree except maybe for Davis.  When you have a guy with good athletic traits - speed and size - that starts showing progress learning the system, running the routes, etc., then you risk losing him if a team has an injury or two.  Davis (again, assuming he’s not looking lost out there) would represent a low risk/(potentially) high reward move.  "

 

I like Robert Davis for that reason also. A 6'3", 219 pound player with a 136" broad jump, a 41" vertical, and 4.44 speed has a lot to work with. That being said, there are big, fast players every year that are taken late or signed as UFA and don't make it. I'll root for him if he is here, but I'd like to see him on the PS. 

 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/robert-davis?id=2558254

 

 

 

I agree with you about carrying the 6th... that I'm not sure we should.  What I do find myself concerned with is our injury history.   I'm a little on the higher side regarding Doctson, and I feel like this could be a very good year for him.  The fact that he's missed 50% of his career in the NFL due to injury worries me.  I understand it's his 3rd season, and he appeared in (i believe) all 16 games last year, but the thought still lingers.  Richardson has had his fair share of injuries, and Crowder and Quinn don't exactly have the body makeup to withstand getting beat up between the hashmarks and expect them to not withstand some sort of ding throughout the course of the year.  That would be my own debate about the 6th is, how confident are we that we can carry 5 WR and get through the year.  If there is a guy we have that the coaches absolutely love and he's on the bubble, we may need to hold him.  Quick is the most veteran guy we have, and I'm not even sure he makes the team.  We can't put him on the PS, so if we have any ideas about wanting him available, he's going to occupy a roster spot. 

 

Carrying 6 is going to be really tough to do.... with the depth we have at WR, RB, DB, TE, and OLB, there are going to be some decisions made... 

Edited by OVCChairman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, Jericho said:

 

Of all the units on the team, I can see how the receiving corps is the really Achilles' heel. One bad injury or bad development and things could go south in a hurry. Even if the 3rd or 4th receivers take a step up, it won't obscure the fact this team likely lacks a true #1. You really need a healthy Reed or a huge developmental leap from Doctson to fill that role. And that's a bit worrisome for a coach that loves to throw the ball.

 

I can see how you see this and it could prove true. Still though, a decent OL can make all the difference. Until 2017, it's not like this QB ever had much to brag about at WR. Having an OL in the top half of the League, combined with Guice and/or CT in the backfield, can make average WRs less of a weakness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

 

I can see how you see this and it could prove true. Still though, a decent OL can make all the difference. Until 2017, it's not like this QB ever had much to brag about at WR. Having an OL in the top half of the League, combined with Guice and/or CT in the backfield, can make average WRs less of a weakness. 

Are you trying to say Garcon and Jackson were average wideouts and/or not one of the top 5 pair of Redskins receivers in franchise history?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.