Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Call it preseason, but I kinda like the potential of Doctson, Crowder, Richardson, Reed/Davis, Sprinkle, and Mo Harris. There's some good size, a little speed and a decent mix of production vs. potential. I still think we're leaning on the potential side and Reed and Richardson certainly come with some injury baggage though if Richardson got knocked out for a year with a hammy that probably speaks to roster juggling versus health. Reed is a M*A*S*H unit guaranteed to miss three to twelve games with concussion worries.

More specifically: 

Tight end remains a question, but could be potentially good. 

Reed is great when he's on the field, but will he be able to see the field?

Davis still provides chunk plays, but will Father Time catch up to him?

Sprinkle showed a little last year, but they only sprinkled him in. I think the kid will see the field more because he's our top blocker (if he can show he has hands and can find those holes in the zone.)

Wide Receiver?

Doctson has the size and I think he has the hands once he gets his confidence back (and masters his route tree). Last year was effectively his rookie year. He showed some wow and some ugh.

Crowder suffered early from putting too much pressure on himself and early injuries. Still not sure what happened to him as a returner, but if we give him a mulligan, he has shown he is a very good slot guy and can be both dangerous and reliable.

Richardson has the speed, but I don't know a lot about him. He hasn't put up mind blowing numbers, but Seattle's offense is weird. It's so often about playground scramble drills.

Maurice Harris has size and really good hands. There's always been something I liked him even though he's been sprinkled in less than Sprinkle. In any case, I'd love for him to show up and be one of those diamonds in the ruff for us.

Davis showed some promise in training camp. I'd love for him to emerge too. Good size, speed, and hands (at least against other rookies)

Other guys?

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

We need that blocking TE. With what you posted above we don't have one. And that's a problem because we need to keep other teams Defenses honest and not know what type of play is being run by the personnel on the field. I know that's not a receiver but that's an issue to me with Reed/Davis combo

Just now, hatchetwound said:

We have so many weapons.  If we can get Allen Robinson, you wont be able to cover all of them.  Alex Smith is going to carve up opposing defenses!!!

They won't be able to cover Allen Robinson at all when they play us.  Cause he's signing with .....

Image result for da bears

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

They won't be able to cover Allen Robinson at all when they play us.  Cause he's signing with .....

Image result for da bears

Nothing is final yet.  I wouldn't be shocked if one of these "locked up" free agents end up here because Dan Snyder opened up his pocket book.

• Thanks 1

1. Reed is our best receiver but he has trouble staying healthy.

2. Crowder is awesome, started slow last year and somewhat injured but I can count on him.

3. Thompson is special but he too has an injury history

4. Vernon, great back up. You don't want him playing too much due to age, but guy is awesome.

5. Doctson, could go either way. Had flashes but I'm not counting on him yet.

6. Richardson, basically same stats as Doctson also has injury history.

7. Everyone else are JAGs, and I have little faith they will be anything other than JAGs

So with that said, no our receiving corp is not shaping up nicely. We have several injury prone, unproven or JAGs on this team. They could turn out to be awesome, but I see nothing that screams wow.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

So with that said, no our receiving corp is not shaping up nicely. We have several injury prone, unproven or JAGs on this team. They could turn out to be awesome, but I see nothing that screams wow.

I can see that too. Yours is the cup half-empty view. Mine is the cup half-full view.

We certainly have more questions than answers, but I think/hope you are being a little overly negative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Burgold said:

I can see that too. Yours is the cup half-empty view. Mine is the cup half-full view.

We certainly have more questions than answers, but I think/hope you are being a little overly negative.

To piggy back off this, we do it to ourselves every year. We didn't need Garcon or Jackson because "hey we got Pryor who was awesome in Cleveland and he didn't even have a QB there", plus "Doctson will have more of a chance".

I need two solid years from this ****ed up franchise before I start thinking cup half-full lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I want one more receiver outside of richardson someone that can produce and make the catch on 3rd and 8....someone reliable i honestly dont trust any of these guys to make that catch except reed and hes often injured. Please dont say Ryan Grant

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

I want one more receiver outside of richardson someone that can produce and make the catch on 3rd and 8....someone reliable i honestly dont trust any of these guys to make that catch except reed and hes often injured. Please dont say Ryan Grant

Honestly, I trust Crowder to convert that third and eight. He has a history of doing it too. He has been very clutch (with the exception of the start of 2017.) I believe that was a mirage and we'll see the player he has been every other year. Mind you, something bizarre happened to him last year as a returner. It's like he was exposed to Red Kryptonite and lost all his returning powers. He just fell totally apart there and never recovered. 

He did, however, end the year on an up note as  a receiver.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Call it preseason, but I kinda like the potential of Doctson, Crowder, Richardson, Reed/Davis, Sprinkle, and Mo Harris. There's some good size, a little speed and a decent mix of production vs. potential. I still think we're leaning on the potential side and Reed and Richardson certainly come with some injury baggage though if Richardson got knocked out for a year with a hammy that probably speaks to roster juggling versus health. Reed is a M*A*S*H unit guaranteed to miss three to twelve games with concussion worries.

More specifically: 

Tight end remains a question, but could be potentially good. 

Reed is great when he's on the field, but will he be able to see the field?

Davis still provides chunk plays, but will Father Time catch up to him?

Sprinkle showed a little last year, but they only sprinkled him in. I think the kid will see the field more because he's our top blocker (if he can show he has hands and can find those holes in the zone.)

Wide Receiver?

Doctson has the size and I think he has the hands once he gets his confidence back (and masters his route tree). Last year was effectively his rookie year. He showed some wow and some ugh.

Crowder suffered early from putting too much pressure on himself and early injuries. Still not sure what happened to him as a returner, but if we give him a mulligan, he has shown he is a very good slot guy and can be both dangerous and reliable.

Richardson has the speed, but I don't know a lot about him. He hasn't put up mind blowing numbers, but Seattle's offense is weird. It's so often about playground scramble drills.

Maurice Harris has size and really good hands. There's always been something I liked him even though he's been sprinkled in less than Sprinkle. In any case, I'd love for him to show up and be one of those diamonds in the ruff for us.

Davis showed some promise in training camp. I'd love for him to emerge too. Good size, speed, and hands (at least against other rookies)

Other guys?

Don't forget Thompson...I think Alex is going to have some fun. Now we need one more OLman to fill out that line

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Don't forget Thompson...I think Alex is going to have some fun. Now we need one more OLman to fill out that line

Yeah, for some reason I did. And you're right, that a third down running back ought to be included in the receiving corp conversation. My biggest concern when it comes to him is whether the broken leg saps any of his speed. That was a pretty nasty injury. I hope he comes back. He was amazing until he got hurt.

• Like 1

Im not worrying about it bc it is way to early and there will be a ton of change but we dont have a receiver that can move the chains and pass block. Basically, we dont have a Pierre Garcon. Crowder is a better version of Richardson. Doctson may be the X receiver we desperately need but he would need to make big strides this year and stay healthy. 

If Reed is out, who do we trust on 3rd and 8 to beat his man and make a tough catch? The screens to CT on 3rd and long were awesome but that dried up after a few weeks.  

44 minutes ago, dyst said:

To piggy back off this, we do it to ourselves every year. We didn't need Garcon or Jackson because "hey we got Pryor who was awesome in Cleveland and he didn't even have a QB there", plus "Doctson will have more of a chance".

I need two solid years from this ****ed up franchise before I start thinking cup half-full lol

i disagree. anyone that labels crowder AWESOME at this point is FOR SURE an optimist  :cheers: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Jordy Nelson is now an available Free Agent.  If we cant get Robinsin we should seriously consider signing him.  Could you imagine him in our lineup with our other weapons? :headbang:

If we did that, I guarantee that by week 5, Jordan Reed, Jordy Nelson, Chris Thompson, Paul Richardson, and Josh Doctson will all be on IR. Trent Williams may or may not be playing on an injured leg by then.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dyst said:

That’s because we haven’t made the HUGE signing of “Must do everything we can to bring him back” Ryan Grant

When that happens ... we’ll still have the worst group of skill position players in the division.

I like they got a guy, though. 

• Haha 2

Just now, NickyJ said:

If we did that, I guarantee that by week 5, Jordan Reed, Jordy Nelson, Chris Thompson, Paul Richardson, and Josh Doctson will all be on IR. Trent Williams may or may not be playing on an injured leg by then.

I don't know where the "Jordy Nelson can't stay healthy" trip is coming from.  I just did some research on Wikipedia:

Year Team GP GS Receiving Fumbles
Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Fum Lost
2008 GB 16 2 33 366 11.1 29 2 0 0
2009 GB 13 0 22 320 14.5 51 2 3 1
2010 GB 16 4 45 582 12.9 80 2 3 3
2011 GB 16 9 68 1,263 18.6 93 15 0 0
2012 GB 12 10 49 745 15.2 73 7 0 0
2013 GB 16 16 85 1,314 15.5 76 8 0 0
2014 GB 16 16 98 1,519 15.5 80 13 0 0
2016 GB 16 16 97 1,257 13.0 60 14 1 1
2017 GB 15 15 53 482 9.1 58 6 0 0
Total 135 88 550 7,848 14.3 93 69 7 5

Yes, he missed the 2015 season, but outside of that he started 16, 16, 16, and 15 games in 4 of the last 5 years.  Yes, he was a bit banged up last year but he still got out there!!!

Chris Thompson will benefit from sharing carries and I bet he will stay healthy here.

As for Jordan Reed, I agree.  He could be the best TE in the whole league but man alive is he always injured!!!

• Like 1