Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

So he can play combine drills, but can he play football though.

I remember thinking he looked really good in that pre season game against New England last year, had a few catches. It's just pre season but you could tell he looked talented and I remember also reading how devastated Ike Hilliard was having him go down because he expected big things. Doesn't mean he will be anything but I certainly think the guy has the talent to play.

One of the beat guys, if I recall it was Hoffman said recently that Ike Hilliard, the receiving coach loves Robert Davis.  He said some of that is about them being personally very close.  Davis is a freak physically.  Got no idea though how he's going to be coming off that injury.

I am big on McLaurin and Harmon.  I am watching camp for a few days starting Friday.  I am really curious to see where Harmon lines up, whether he plays big slot or X or both.  I've heard one of the coaches mention in an interview that Sims will play Z.   Someone else if I recall said McLaurin also plays Z.  If so they got a logjam at Z.  A couple of reporters thought McLaurin was the best player in minicamp.   Some liked Sims.  Some liked Quinn.  So that's all a good sign.

As much as I like McLaurin and Harmon and have explained why in detail before and after the draft, I still think its asking a lot for them to excel right away.  Aside from QB its arguably the toughest position to hit the ground running in year 1.  Also aside from QB its arguably the toughest position to get right as for drafting.  

A lot of wildcards at the position.  IMO of all positions that might be the one with the most potential variance -- it could be really good, could be so so, could stink.   I lean personally on the optimistic side at this spot. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Probably like most, I'm most excited about Quinn/McLaurin/Sims/Davis & Harmon. Would be really cool if all 5 made team. 

Frankly, McLaurin can make team is ST role so you wouldn't really have to count him as one of the likely 6 WRs. May have to go 1 less in defensive backfield but that makes sense to given lack of talent at LB. Would be easier to stash LBs than WR on our team at the practice squad. 

Say what you want about Doctson but until all the WRs behind him stay healthy, we need him. Brian Quick laughs, and knows he will be our #5 and never play which has a nice hand in his durability.

I suspect we will learn at the end of preseason, that Davis is not polished enough in his routes, as he heads to the PS.  Devin Thomas 2.0 - physical beast but raw.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thanks 1

Another surprise cut the day before TC.

Dallas released WR Allen Hurns.

Had decent production through his career, was well-liked in Dallas, suffered a leg injury last year, but supposedly fully recovered, and the release was just a matter of failing to agree on money, and the emergence of Cooper made him more expendable.

I think, worth a look. And there's already an opening for him, with the release of Foster. But they could already have someone else in mind for that roster spot.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another surprise cut the day before TC.

Dallas released WR Allen Hurns.

Had decent production through his career, was well-liked in Dallas, suffered a leg injury last year, but supposedly fully recovered, and the release was just a matter of failing to agree on money.

I think, worth a look. And there's already an opening for him, with the release of Foster. But they could already have someone else in mind for that roster spot.

Hurns is so low upside, especially after his injury. He's exactly the type of JAG I'd expect us to go after during the 2nd or 3rd week of FA if he was available, but hopefully now we have a better use for our cap dollars. I think he'd come cheap (again, especially coming off the injury) but I don't see enough upside to take reps from the young WR's that we not only want to be good...but that we need to find out if they have a chance to be good. The clock is ticking on the young depth that we seem to like that's been around for a couple years, and Hurns would just be more depth. If he stays healthy, he takes reps from someone who has more of a future here. If he doesn't, it's same old same old. I don't really see a reason to bother. If we hadn't drafted the guys we did this year, it would be another story. We'd need bodies. I think right now we have enough bodies. 

Now if we want to trade a low round draft pick for someone with more talent like Marvin Jones, I'm willing to write off a Robert Davis or Cam Sims potentially for a guy like that on the outside for Haskins. But Hurns, off an ACL? Not sure about that. Even Jones it turns out is recovering from his own injury, and had a somewhat down year last year in terms of catch rate compared to his usual standards...so I've cooled a bit on him as well. 

The vet WR I really want our Pro department to keep tabs on is Taywan Taylor. I'd trade a 4th-5th rounder for him I think. He's an unlikely cut, but a possible trade target given what the Titans have done at WR. They drafted Corey Davis in the 1st last year, AJ Brown in the 2nd this year, and signed Adam Humphries for the slot to a pretty decent contract this offseason. Even Tajae Sharpe is more entrenched there, potentially. So he could be the 4th or 5th WR on a team that wants to run the ball a lot. Worth a call imo, and Taywan Taylor is talented as hell. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

Hurns didn't want to take a pay cut in Dallas (he would have made $5M this year). He was picked up last year to be Dallas's #1; this year he wasn't even a sure thing to make the team.  He doesn't play ST.  So, right now, he has unrealistic money expectations.  I see him being on the street for a while.  

So honestly our WR group is deeper than the titanic but that doesn’t mean they’re good. Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, Mclaurin, Harmon, Davis and Sims and that’s a lot of height. I really want to see what the young guys can do and I hope they all get a shot. 

• Like 1

I hope the boys practice beating press coverage because corners are not going to give us any respect. Call it Desmond Howard Syndrome.  Hopefully we will face a lot of bend don't break and that will buy the guys some space to get off the line... otherwise we are again looking at lots of 3 yard routes that has guys running laterally across the field for 20 yards.

Maybe OCKOC will implement lots more pick plays than in years past passed if there is tough sledding. My preference is to have the smaller receiver set the pick since they are more apt to look like the innocent victim.

I think we should end the charade of Reed being a TE and just move him out wide, unless some WR in camp rises up and snags the WR1 slot proper (ha). He's our big playmaker, why fight it by forcing him to pretend to be a blocker.  While he cut back on the holding penalties I do think its because we stopped asking him to block. He should do better blocking when split out wide vs inside on backers.

reed.0.gif

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

Richardson and Reed:

If healthy, the Skins have a chance on offense to be solid. Need both to play 12-14 games though. 

The health of these two will allow Doctson, Davis, and Trey to play roles that align with their ability. 

Rookies are a wait and see for me. 

• Like 1

I usually have a firm grasp on expectations I may have for one position group or another but the WR's are the most baffling to me. I think Trey Quinn could have Jarvis Landry-esque production but he can't seem to stay healthy. Richardson's health gives me the same pause, even though I think he would produce if he played. I'm disregarding Doctson just because I don't, and have never, thought he was good enough to be a starting #1 or #2 WR. 

McLaurin is the only rookie I have strong feelings about and that is mainly because he's a special teams menace which pretty much guarantees a prominent spot on the active game day roster. This will be an interesting few weeks for sure.

It's remarkable how consistently OUR young WRs look great in preseason, only to see them unable to get on the field in the regular season. If they do get on the field, they are good for maybe a token target a game. And they will look great in that one target, but we don't go back to them.

Or more often than not, they get practice squaded, or injured. Like clockwork. Or a timelock

I am still surprised that we opened last season with 2 rookie WRs. Of course we get kicked in the coconuts and both get injured in week 1, but maybe it was a long overdue changing of the guard.  My theory? Jay backed off mandating that every WR run perfectly everything in the route tree, before making the roster.  Young WRs with limited branches off the tree mandate scaling back the playbook, which handcuffs him. But he should be able to use a few kids to their strengths without handcuffing himself significantly, especially if they actually catch passes thrown to them. Keep it simple for the kids, Jay.

Edited by RandyHolt

Last year is not a very good sample to evaluate our WR's.  We started with Alex who is super conservative and is the king of check down.  Once he was injured and the Oline fell one by one, the parade of QB's behind a makeshift OL hadn't the skill or time to throw downfield.  Colt actually looked OK until he got broke and then it went down hill fast (we actually started the butt fumbler).

I expect with Case or Dwight the ball will fly around a bunch more and we'll get a chance to see if any of our WRs can produce.  I think camp and preseason will sort them out.  

• Thanks 1

Right now, this corp is high on potential and low on production. For it to be interesting a low round or undrafted receiver or two has to emerge. There's still part of me pulling for Davis. He looks so good in preseason, but always gets that killer injury, but if it's not him and it's Sims, McClauren, Quinn, or any two others... that'd be fantastic. Better Qbing and lineplay would help too.

I'm not sure this group is that high on potential either. There's virtually no actual production, so I guess the best you can say is potential. But two 6th rounders, a 7th rounder, and a UDFA mixed in with a 3rd rounder and the two "vets" in Doctson and Richardson. One hopes the group does well, but it could easily go very badly.