Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been watching interviews of Alex and reading things for weeks.  He's a character in his own way.  He listens to NPR all the time including to games.  He seems to like Indie style music like Arcade Fire..  His sister worked for Michelle Obama.   His mom is a social worker and got him into his charity work for foster kids.   His wife is a former Oakland Raiders cheerleader.

I get the vibe he's VERY California as to his personality.  Kelce was interviewed about him (he loves him) and he really laid it on thick in a complementary way that Alex is very California personality wise.  

He would probably really like the tailgate forum of this message board 

2 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Disappointment is realized when unrealistic expectations are your barometer.

I think this is one of the major reasons the Special Olympics are separate from the regular Olympics.

Dan Snyder and a couple other owners are in the wrong league. 20 years and the best and only defense of the buffoonery is that we should lower our expectations=

:rofl89:

And those of us who decided to pick a 2nd team that might actually win are the crazy ones. :headbang:

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It seems you’re taking my general comment personally.

I’m not sure why, as you’re not one of the ones I recall saying that Jays offense is a given for 4K yards.  

Nothing personal, but where you choose to interject made it appear you were addressing my recent posts there, that's all. 

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I think this is one of the major reasons the Special Olympics are separate from the regular Olympics.

Dan Snyder and a couple other owners are in the wrong league. 20 years and the best and only defense of the buffoonery is that we should lower our expectations=

And those of us who decided to pick a 2nd team that might actually win are the crazy ones. :headbang:

Defending the buffoonery, giphy.gif

Picking a second team, giphy.gif

14 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Oh this season is going to be a lot of fun when it comes the playbook. There are so many more things that Jay can do with Smith than he could with Cousins especially in the Red Zone. I expect Reed and Crowder to feast with Smith at the helm. 

4 hours ago, Murphs56 said:

Oh this season is going to be a lot of fun when it comes the playbook. There are so many more things that Jay can do with Smith than he could with Cousins especially in the Red Zone. I expect Reed and Crowder to feast with Smith at the helm. 

For real?

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

For real?

It's FOH Real, come on man. giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Murphs56 said:

I expect him to roll out and extend plays, I expect him to call more audibles at the LOS, I expect him to Read Run Option....I hope my expectations aren't too high. 

On 3/18/2018 at 9:42 AM, Taylor 36 said:

That narrative would be true if he had all of those weapons each game or even the vast majority of the games.  Health was always a concern for Jackson and Reed.  Jackson started 24 of 33 games (including playoffs) in 2015 and 2016 combined, but also left 6 of them early due to injury. Reed has started 22 of a possible 48 games in the three seasons Cousins was a starter and left 5 of those early due to injuries.  Davis has done well for the most part the last couple of years, but let's not pretend that he or Crowder have been consistent world beaters.  Garcon was the one, true reliable weapon we had.  I wish we would have tried to keep him, but, go figure, Bruce didn't even contact him.  On top of all of that, KC has never had a real running game to support him.  Smith has had some great running games in both SF and KC.  Smith has definitely had more consistent support in his career.

Smith has certainly had good RB's and TE's throughout his career.  Wideouts have been pretty much **** for most of his career. Probably one of the reasons he is labeled as captain checkdown. 

• In SF he had Micheal Crabtree for a few seasons, but if you've ever watched crabtree then you know that crabtree only plays when he wants to play. 
  • He had one year with Randy Moss at the ass end of his career in SF when he was basically filling out his retirement papers the whole year. 
  • He had Dwane Bowe for 2 seasons in KC, but once Bowe got paid (the same year Smith went to KC), Bowe phoned it in.  KC traded him to Cleveland 2 years later and he didn't even make the dress list IN CLEVELAND while raking in the cash. 
  • Smith had basically one good year with Jeremy Maclin in KC, and in that year, Maclin crested 1000 yards.  Then the next year, Maclin was injured quite a bit and going through some personal difficulties and wasn't the same player.   
  • Finally last year he had Tyreek Hill - easily the best, most explosive WR Smith has been able to play with - and they torched the NFL together. 

Smith isn't afraid of the deep ball, but he does expect that you either be open, or be in a position to get open.  He doesn't throw up jump balls - which is why he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:47 AM, Murphs56 said:

I expect Reed to miss at least 8 games with a concussion and hamstring issues. I expect Crowder to do well though (except on punt returns, unless the NFL's competition committee lifts the ban on Stick-um.)

I was thinking about this the other day . Andy Reid is a great offensive minded coach , and like Jay his roots are planted in the west coast offence soil ... however Reid has always been about the run first and finding creative ways to get the ball inti the hands of his runners ... the down field stuff has always been secondary . 

Reid when in Philly made a star out of McNabb by partnering him with the likes of Westbrook and Staley ( and there was another RB who’s name I cannot remember who was part of a three headed monster running committee ... but for the most part his WR group sucked ... I mean there was a time James Thrash was considered their number one guy ... then they got Owens who was a head case but a head case that got them to the Super Bowl ....in Rieds scheme the running game was the Lynch pin and the passing game was functional 

anyhow Jays scheme is kind of the polar opposite of that Jay try’s to use the run to open up the pass ... he will run in first down to keep defences honest but the running game is - functional ... 

he also likes to get the ball into his runners hands but as a part of the passing game ... but the schemes he runs with the receivers is impressive and you can often see guys running open due to the scheme .

so I am not so sure why people are having such a hard time expecting Smith to have an up tick in his numbers in a more pass heavy QB friendly scheme ? 

@Temper11Good post.  Hit on some interesting aspects - Smith hasn’t had very good receivers, but has had good TEs.  He also might perform differently in Jay’s offense.  

The one thing that concerns me is the idea he mostly only throws to open receivers.  Cousins had some of this same issue and we saw it take time for him to trust Doctson (and he still didn’t throw the contested balls very often).  Doctson and Richardson* don’t seem the type adept at creating separation, and both seem to excel at going up and getting the ball.  So it’s an interesting pairing.  I do think Smith is going to love Crowder and Reed.  I’m also hoping we get a back that can be a weapon in the pass game (on early downs).  

Glad to see Gruden is looking at tweaking the offense to fit Smith’s strengths.  Should help the run game too.  

* would have thought Richardson’s speed would lead to more (frequent) separation, which makes me wonder if he either lacks some of the nuance to route running, or the burst/quick change of gears.  Looking forward to seeing him in action.  

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The one thing that concerns me is the idea he mostly only throws to open receivers.  Cousins had some of this same issue and we saw it take time for him to trust Doctson (and he still didn’t throw the contested balls very often).  

Should be interesting to see how this plays out given if there is any truth to Jay being frustrated with Cousins not throwing Doctson as many jump balls as he would have liked.

On 3/20/2018 at 3:47 AM, Murphs56 said:

I hope they keep things like this in there...I want to see if Smith could turn this into 6: 

washknee.0.gif

On 3/23/2018 at 6:10 PM, HigSkin said:

As someone who is VERY excited for Smith, my reservation with last year is how open some of those deep throws were. I know it sounds like a cliche, but he did have a lot of throws into HUGE windows that you don't typically see in the NFL where Hill had his guy beat by 3-4 yards. 

Archived