• Blog Entries

    • By TK in ES Coverage
         0
      The Redskins have opened their 2019 season with two losses. Both against Divisional foes. Now they get to close out Week 3 at home on Monday Night against the visiting 1-1 Chicago Bears. The Bears don't have much of an offense but seem to have what may be an elite defense.
       
      On the flip side, the Redskins have a developing passing attack and a disastrous defense. The Redskins haven't had a Defense this vanilla since Mike Nolan received his ice cream. Oh, and the Redskins already have more guys on IR then any other team this season. 
       
      Will the Redskins finally put one in the win column? 
       
      As usual, poll closes at kickoff. Go vote!
Veryoldschool

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Recommended Posts

On 8/7/2018 at 8:38 AM, SWFLSkins said:

What differences is Alex going to bring to the Offense that nobody has talked about or realized yet?

I know it’s only practice still, but I am consistently reading reports regarding Alex Smith across the twitter-verse and blogsphere and sports pages such “bullet” and “tight window” and “wide-open receiver” and “perfectly timed” and “pass out before the receiver breaks” like I havent read in 20+ years. 

 

We’ve seen as recently as last year’s TC that great timing and circus catches by receivers dont typically translate to the regular season, but its very encouraging to read about Alex’s performance to date like I havent read or seen in decades. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Vietnam.

 

full disclosure, i have not read the thread but have a feeling i know it well, :P but for anyone curious per my absence, if noted:

 

 

 

 

so to briefly reconnect--I like New Kirk fine (surprisingly workable move considering the organization/situation) and I hope Gym-Rat Jay can get this squad into equally improved shape. I thought the draft went quite well and that Guice was a killer score. Quite fatigued with Doctson/Reed health issues, but if they can overcome that stuff once and for all, wow. The offense has huge potential. 

 

I haven't even read the stadium in 6 months or so, but for now while I see all the potential on paper there are still big questions and I am way to Redskins-experienced after approx. 57 years as a fan to be confident that it will materialize as such. For now, color me cautiously optimistic about the team/coaches this season and still turned off (understatement) by the ownership/mgmt.  I will try to keep up with you eggspurts. :806:

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a large sample size, but Smith looked like someone I can get behind. Saw some mobility, made plays with pressure in his face, was accurate. Would have liked to see a TD on that drive, but I don’t put that failing on Smith.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was good to see Alex get some work in. He was as expected, which was good to see. Next game will be interesting, I hope we can start punching the ball into the end zone more. He should be about a 1/2 to work with, hope to see the offense not bog down in the red zone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth is as a fourty year fan I’ve seen a lot of QBs start for this team. Last night while it only lasted for one drive and it was against the JETS and it was preseason I witnessed the best first impression from a QB on this team I’ve ever seen.

 

In that single drive Alex Smiths first play went for 23 yards. More importantly he demonstrated how tough he is getting a helmet to helmet hit and popped right up and was fine. Very reassuring to see this. Next play he hits his TE on a second and nine yard to go for a first down and another 16 yards. He looked off one defender and took what the defense gave him for positive yards.

 

His next throw was an incomplete pass when he threw to his RB but a few things stood out to me about the play. First Alex Smith called out to the RB right before he throws it to let him know it’s coming, veteran expirence on display. Second he threw the ball into tight coverage but only where the RB could make the play. Showed aggressiveness and accuracy and a willingness to take chances something missed here for a while. On one incomplete play it showed we are on the right track at the position.

 

Alex responded to the upcoming third down and nine yards to go by hitting a different receiver for 11 yards keeping the chains moving. Adversity be damned. Next throw he hits his RB in stride in the red zone for another first down. His last pass was in the end zone where the ball was just a little late but put in a place only the receiver could catch it who dropped it. I thought if the receiver on that play had been Jamison Crowder it would have scored.

 

In his first drive he picked up five first downs. He completed passes to his TE, RB, and two receivers while targeting three. The offense started at thier 35 yard line and ended on the opponents 4 yard line. 11 plays, 74 yards. Successful drive ended in points on the board.

 

It was only a start, and it was his first drive ever on this team. No trick plays, no gadgety just simple smart QB play on display

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/1030481171954589696/video/1

 

That link shows all of his throws last night. I can’t wait to see his first extensive action

 

 

 

Edited by bobandweave
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While that pass to Kelly last night seemed like a little dump off that anyone could make, I remember his receivers saying how he constantly hits people in stride so they can get YAC.  That play right there last night made me think about it.  Sure he was wide open and an easy throw, but I have many memories of our wide open receivers of past years getting the ball throw high or behind them, giving them no chance at much YAC.  I hope we continue to see more of this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Truth is as a fourty year fan I’ve seen a lot of QBs start for this team. Last night while it only lasted for one drive and it was against the JETS and it was preseason I witnessed the best first impression from a QB on this team I’ve ever seen.

 

In that single drive Alex Smiths first play went for 23 yards. More importantly he demonstrated how tough he is getting a helmet to helmet hit and popped right up and was fine. Very reassuring to see this. Next play he hits his TE on a second and nine yard to go for a first down and another 16 yards. He looked off one defender and took what the defense gave him for positive yards.

 

His next throw was an incomplete pass when he threw to his RB but a few things stood out to me about the play. First Alex Smith called out to the RB right before he throws it to let him know it’s coming, veteran expirence on display. Second he threw the ball into tight coverage but only where the RB could make the play. Showed aggressiveness and accuracy and a willingness to take chances something missed here for a while. On one incomplete play it showed we are on the right track at the position.

 

Alex responded to the upcoming third down and nine yards to go by hitting a different receiver for 11 yards keeping the chains moving. Adversity be damned. Next throw he hits his RB in stride in the red zone for another first down. His last pass was in the end zone where the ball was just a little late but put in a place only the receiver could catch it who dropped it. I thought if the receiver on that play had been Jamison Crowder it would have scored.

 

In his first drive he picked up five first downs. He completed passes to his TE, RB, and two receivers while targeting three. The offense started at thier 35 yard line and ended on the opponents 4 yard line. 11 plays, 74 yards. Successful drive ended in points on the board.

 

It was only a start, and it was his first drive ever on this team. No trick plays, no gadgety just simple smart QB play on display

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/1030481171954589696/video/1

 

That link shows all of his throws last night. I can’t wait to see his first extensive action

 

 

 

 

Wow. I think Alex looked good, but this is really over the top.

 

Edit: since you seem confused (as per your emogie, or whatever it is here) I bolded a couple things.

Best debut ever in 40 years of watching? Yeah. Over the top.

Throwing a incomplete pass to a guy that was covered, and your interpretation that he told Kelly to be ready, is not really positive. Throwing to a guy that is covered, after tipping the play is to him ain't great. Maybe he should have found an open guy?

 

Like I said, over the top.

 

Alex looked good, I got out of that first drive what I wanted. He was sharp, and didn't get hurt.

 

But best debut in 40 years?

 

Nah.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

 

 

But best debut in 40 years?

 

Nah.

 

Meet in middle and say in the last 20 years ;) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

Meet in middle and say in the last 20 years ;) 

 

 

 

RGIII went 4-6 for 70 yards and a TD in his preseason debut. Let's get real. Alex looked sharp, but he wasn't amazing. So, I'll go with the last 5 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Morneblade said:

It was good to see Alex get some work in. He was as expected, which was good to see. Next game will be interesting, I hope we can start punching the ball into the end zone more. He should be about a 1/2 to work with, hope to see the offense not bog down in the red zone.

 

I am not in the Alex is sort of a Drew Brees type upper echelon QB that we will all fall in love with like what you get impression wise from some fans on twitter in particular.

 

He's good though.  Heck Kirk was a perfect 4 for 4 in his debut including a TD pass.  Alex looked good, too.  But so what?   It's just preseason.   The thing I'd like to see for Alex (same as I wanted for Kirk) is get him some reps in the preseason. Heck Tom Brady threw for 26 passes yesterday.  So get Alex some reps!  I hope he plays a full half next week. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I am not in the Alex is sort of a Drew Brees type upper echelon QB that we will all fall in love with like what you get impression wise from some fans on twitter in particular.

 

He's good though.  Heck Kirk was a perfect 4 for 4 in his debut including a TD pass.  Alex looked good, too.  But so what?   It's just preseason.   The thing I'd like to see for Alex (same as I wanted for Kirk) is get him some reps in the preseason. Heck Tom Brady threw for 26 passes yesterday.  So get Alex some reps!  I hope he plays a full half next week. 

 

That dart to Diggs was impressive. The way he looked the safety off too.

 

I'm hoping that we get Trent and Moses back next week, and we get a full 2 quarters out of the starters.................and whoever they sign off the streets as a RB. :drooley:

 

I'm hoping we get more TD's and less FG's though, we can't expect the D to keep us in games where we score 12 points all the time. Sims to the rescue!!!!!!

 

 

 

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

That dart to Diggs was impressive. The way he looked the safety off too.

 

I'm hoping that we get Trent and Moses back next week, and we get a full 2 quarters out of the starters.................and whoever they sign off the streets as a RB. :drooley:

 

I'm hoping we get more TD's and less FG's though, we can't expect the D to keep us in games where we score 12 points all the time. Sims to the rescue!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

Yeah I've said on this thread many times, should be interesting season in part because both Alex and Kirk IMO are great guys.  And IMO they are underestimated by their previous fan bases.  Judging by their preseason debuts both are studs.  Kirk arguably was even sharper.  But its the preseason so who cares?  To do right by Alex -- got get him a RB please and play Alex more in the next game please so we know he will be sharp in game 1. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Yeah I've said on this thread many times, should be interesting season in part because both Alex and Kirk IMO are great guys.  And IMO they are underestimated by their previous fan bases.  Judging by their preseason debuts both are studs.  Kirk arguably was even sharper.  But its the preseason so who cares?  To do right by Alex -- got get him a RB please and play Alex more in the next game please so we know he will be sharp in game 1. 

 

I agree. We've got to get a RB, AND hope to see a improvement in the run blocking when Trent and Moses get back. Because last night was pretty bad. Alex is going to need some help.

 

I also hope that Doctson steps up, we're going to need a physical presence.. I think Richardson is going to be ok, but I see him more like a 5-600 yard guy here. Reed needs to be healthy too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

I agree. We've got to get a RB, AND hope to see a improvement in the run blocking when Trent and Moses get back. Because last night was pretty bad. Alex is going to need some help.

 

I also hope that Doctson steps up, we're going to need a physical presence.. I think Richardson is going to be ok, but I see him more like a 5-600 yard guy here. Reed needs to be healthy too.

 

Yeah as for Alex glad he looked good. It's notable in a way but in the same time not a big deal.  I noticed some of the Minny papers billed Kirk debut as perfect.  But again it was just one drive.  They are getting a bit carried away.  Tough to judge any QB on such a short sample size.  You got Tom Brady, best QB on earth throwing the ball 26 times.  Love to see Alex just air it out. 

 

As for Alex's weapons was looking forward to it with Guice but now I wonder.  It's not going to be easy.  I think Doctson and Richardson have potential but its Reed who is the one we can count on for being a bonafide stud -- so hopefully he's healthy for a change. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Yeah as for Alex glad he looked good. It's notable in a way but in the same time not a big deal.  I noticed some of the Minny papers billed Kirk debut as perfect.  But again it was just one drive.  They are getting a bit carried away.  Tough to judge any QB on such a short sample size.  You got Tom Brady, best QB on earth throwing the ball 26 times.  Love to see Alex just air it out. 

 

As for Alex's weapons was looking forward to it with Guice but now I wonder.  It's not going to be easy.  I think Doctson and Richardson have potential but its Reed who is the one we can count on for being a bonafide stud -- so hopefully he's healthy for a change. 

 

Yeah, Reed has to be healthy, and we'll need help from elsewhere too. I'd like to get it from the running game, if you're in good shape there you can control the clock, and that really falls in line with a good defense. It's too soon to say yet, but I really liked what I saw there last night. If the D can be stout, and if Alex can play the ball control/few mistakes game with a decent rushing attack, it might be enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

Yeah, Reed has to be healthy, and we'll need help from elsewhere too. I'd like to get it from the running game, if you're in good shape there you can control the clock, and that really falls in line with a good defense. It's too soon to say yet, but I really liked what I saw there last night. If the D can be stout, and if Alex can play the ball control/few mistakes game with a decent rushing attack, it might be enough.

 

Agree.  Some seem to imply its almost a slam dunk that our bad defense from last year is going to do a 180.  I get the rationale and I think its possible.  But I am trying to stay measured and right now thinking the defense is more likely to be good than great.  But if somehow the defense ends up great at the moment that's my best hope. 

 

I like Alex in the context of the RPO and RO -- and the funky formations that sometimes come with it.  I posted some of those clips on this thread. But geez without a running threat, I am concerned that we aren't going to maximize those plays.   They aren't too many NFL observers who think Alex will kill you Drew Brees/Tom Brady style by just slinging the ball around the field from the pocket.  He's decent on that front but never been special.  His thing is avoiding mistakes and using his athleticism.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Agree.  Some seem to imply its almost a slam dunk that our bad defense from last year is going to do a 180.  I get the rationale and I think its possible.  But I am trying to stay measured and right now thinking the defense is more likely to be good than great.  But if somehow the defense ends up great at the moment that's my best hope. 

 

I like Alex in the context of the RPO and RO -- and the funky formations that sometimes come with it.  I posted some of those clips on this thread. But geez without a running threat, I am concerned that we aren't going to maximize those plays.   They aren't too many NFL observers who think Alex will kill you Drew Brees/Tom Brady style by just slinging the ball around the field from the pocket.  He's decent on that front but never been special.  His thing is avoiding mistakes and using his athleticism.  

 

I don't even know who we run a lot of those plays with? Richardson? He seems so slight though, I don't want to put him in that position. Thompson maybe? But he's not really due back until November. Marshall might be the guy in the meantime, when we get him back. But none of those guys are Hill or Hunt.

 

We're probably a couple pieces away. If we could find a mauling LG in the draft next year and with Guice back, that might be enough to put us over the edge.

 

I'm hoping the D can sniff top 10. I don't think we'll get there, but if we can be close, like 12th, that would be a huge help. I think teams will have a much tougher time running the ball, IF we stay healthy. And that's been a big issue for years.

 

But if we have OL injuries and the kinds of stuff like we had last on the defense, We're probably last in the division. Again.

 

I'm sitting here looking at Smith over the last 6 years in KC. I'm not sure where we are going to get the points. Loosing Guice was huge. I don't think we'll be able to smash it in, we don't have the blocking or the backs to do it now. And Smith doesn't throw a lot of TD's We're looking at, by year, 23, 18, 20, 15, and 26, which was a career high. We're really going to need to be stout with scoring to have a shot at anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

I'm sitting here looking at Smith over the last 6 years in KC. I'm not sure where we are going to get the points. Loosing Guice was huge. I don't think we'll be able to smash it in, we don't have the blocking or the backs to do it now. And Smith doesn't throw a lot of TD's We're looking at, by year, 23, 18, 20, 15, and 26, which was a career high. We're really going to need to be stout with scoring to have a shot at anything.

 

You are looking at the QB but not the scheme, alleged team strengths, and basic philosophy of the coaching. Alex Smith is just the dutiful soldier. He is not the General that sends in the orders as he sees fit when being tactical. That is Andy Reid. I respect Andy in some ways, but It will imo be a good thing for Alex Smith to be away from him now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

 

You are looking at the QB but not the scheme, alleged team strengths, and basic philosophy of the coaching. Alex Smith is just the dutiful soldier. He is not the General that sends in the orders as he sees fit when being tactical. That is Andy Reid. I respect Andy in some ways, but It will imo be a good thing for Alex Smith to be away from him now. 

 

Andy has always had a QB friendly scheme. He had McNabb for most of his time in Philly, and even if NcNabb was not really accurate, he was quite successful. I think Reed tailored his offense to Smith, allowing him to use his legs and scheme to his strengths. I think Gruden will do the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never really adhered to the term QB friendly scheme. Just sounds like some vague way to insult a QB, really. Andy was conservative to a fault, because he was content with FGs and leaning on what was often a strong defense. I lived down there and watched all the KC games, but if you feel you have a better handle on it, go with it. ( no snark intended )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

 

RGIII went 4-6 for 70 yards and a TD in his preseason debut. Let's get real. Alex looked sharp, but he wasn't amazing. So, I'll go with the last 5 years.

 

 

Totally joking. 

 

Pre-season, who cares.

 

I can get with appreciating some of the nuances in his play last night (legs, willingness to throw jump ball, hitting 3rd and 4th reads, lengthy drive giving defense a break—if it was a season game), but have to see a few season games at least. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

Totally joking. 

 

Pre-season, who cares.

 

I can get with appreciating some of the nuances in his play last night (legs, willingness to throw jump ball, hitting 3rd and 4th reads, lengthy drive giving defense a break—if it was a season game), but have to see a few season games at least. 

 

Gotcha! ;)

 

I'm actually fine with what I saw, and to be honest, Smith showed me what I needed. I just wanted him to be looking comfortable in the offense and that was it. He's a vet and I think I know what to expect from him. I saw a efficient QB that looked in control of the offense. No "wow" throws, but a nice controlled drive. That's what I expected, and that's what I got. Should have had a TD, but that was more on the WR on that play, ball was on target.

 

I just find it funny that you have guys (not you) that take a incompletion to a guy that was blanket covered as a great thing, but if the previous QB makes that same throw, they would crucify him for it.

 

I thought his best throw was the first one, running a naked boot and you have someone miss a block, and you're face to face with a DE. Made a accurate throw in a tough spot and showed his athletic ability on that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

 

I just find it funny that you have guys (not you) that take a incompletion to a guy that was blanket covered as a great thing

 

ONE dude made some comment about this. 

 

 

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

 

, but if the previous QB makes that same throw, they would crucify him for it.

 

and there it is. Enough said. 

 

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

 

I thought his best throw was the first one, running a naked boot and you have someone miss a block, and you're face to face with a DE. Made a accurate throw in a tough spot and showed his athletic ability on that.

 

Correct. His patient throw to Doctson to convert was appreciated as well though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

 

ONE dude made some comment about this. 

 

 

 

and there it is. Enough said. 

 

 

Correct. His patient throw to Doctson to convert was appreciated as well though. 

 

Sorry, one dude made that exact comment, correct.

 

It was ok. I mean it was on target, but it was pretty easy. Granted he had to move some because Lauvao let his guy through, but Doctson just sat down in the zone and was wide open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.