Veryoldschool

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

So... this is... disturbing.  Happy to have a guy at QB now who is always playing for team success and doesn't make excuses.

It’s this kind of stuff that makes it difficult to take some folks opinions on the subject seriously.

Personally, when I read that article, none of that ever struck me as disturbing in any way what so ever.  It’s pretty much human nature and ties into everything many here had been saying since the end of the 2015 season.  Perhaps SIP will travel that road with you guys, but I personally find it all exhausting and recognize that everyone has their feet dug in and aren’t budging with how they choose to feel about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s this kind of stuff that makes it difficult to take some folks opinions on the subject seriously.

Personally, when I read that article, none of that ever struck me as disturbing in any way what so ever.  It’s pretty much human nature and ties into everything many here had been saying since the end of the 2015 season.  Perhaps SIP will travel that road with you guys, but I personally find it all exhausting and recognize that everyone has their feet dug in and aren’t budging with how they choose to feel about it.

I've actually been a pretty big Kirk supporter throughout his time here, but this is the kind of stuff that I really can't stand.  I agree with Paul C. here.

• Like 2

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I've actually been a pretty big Kirk supporter throughout his time here, but this is the kind of stuff that I really can't stand.  I agree with Paul C. here.

To each his own.  But given that Kirk played for two years on fully guaranteed money, he was never playing for incentives.  I think it’s rather clear that he was simply making a point about how awesome it is to get a fully guaranteed contract.  As for the leader part, again - human nature.  This stuff isn’t new, folks have been beating this drum for Kirk since the end of the 2015 season.  That you can’t just let a guy play on a franchise tag for numerous reasons: the risk they outplay the tag in a league where the cap constantly goes up, and the psychological impact on the player himself and also the team around them.  Playing on a franchise tag is similar to being a lame duck coach.  The org has no long term investment in you and everyone else knows it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We'll see if purchasing Cousins nets the Vikes a Superbowl, if it does it will undoubtedly be worth it, but I feel like the premise of "the money is done", but also having a contract year in 2020 are a bit incongruent.

I know we ****ed it up bad not getting a deal done, and done early for whatever silly hangups we had over it, but I dunno that I would wan't to be in on the deal he has now.  Maybe others feel differently.

2018 will pretty much hinge on Smith at least managing somewhere near the ballpark of the quality QB play we have seen the last few years, and I do think he is up to it.  And I don't think he needs Top 10 and Top 5 matching components across the board to do it, like some have said in some heavy backhanding.  I think some of that comes honestly and some of it comes from missing the chance to really rub Dan's nose in it with a 4-12 Colt or Rookie QB season.

Here's to whenever the games start.

Edited by Bifflog

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To each his own.  But given that Kirk played for two years on fully guaranteed money, he was never playing for incentives.  

He was playing for his opportunity at a LTD.

What it does illustrate though, is that Kirk Cousins for whatever reason felt wronged by being drafted as an after thought to Griffin. And it showed. The damage was done right then and there. Instead of relishing the opportunity to come in and learn from the Shannys, he had the audacity to ask over the phone on draft day “ Are you sure you want to do this?” As if he was some golden armed prospect that had the ability to pick where he wanted to play and be “THE guy” from the get go. 

Its something I touched on from the beginning since I started posting here. Kirk Cousins never really wanted to be here. From the beginning. You can talk till your blue in the face about how horrible Bruce Allen is. The fact is, if he was serious about being here, he makes a better faith effort to negotiate than what he did. The damage was done long before Bruce Allen “lowballed” him. Unfortunately that point seemed to be lost among many, as it was preposterous for them to take any other stance than “Bruce Allen royally screwed up.”

Andy Reid has said that he worked with Alex to get him to a spot he could succeed in. And I believe him. His words about Alex show how much respect he has for the guy. Make no mistake, Alex was going to get a handsome contract and opportunity to be the guy somewhere around the league. So the fact that he seemed excited about Washington as a destination seems genuine to me. And having your starting QB wanting to be here, and the fact the team now knows that, has to count for something. It doesn’t mean Kirk is a bad guy and Alex is the best thing since sliced bread. But it is in fact a very good thing that should help this team get to where it wants to be. I wish Kirk the best but I am excited about Alex leading the team. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

No one knows for certain whether the supporting cast is strong enough, but laying down would have been a terrible decision, imho. They didn't want to wave the white flag, and frankly couldn't afford to be a bottom-dweller for the next two years while playing a rookie or McCoy. The roster looks strong enough right now, but dudes got to stay somewhat healthy, and young dudes have to prove themselves. 

I don't feel a need to stress over what the QB situation is 3 years from now. If pushed to think down the line, it is easy to see a scenario where they select the QBotF early in the 2020 draft. That's what I would do, and it gives the rookie a full year to develop behind Smith. If the 37 year old then retires, isn't worth the price-tag, or the cheap rookie is ready to roll, then that's that. 

Until then, I am happy to see some competitive playoff pursuit.   :) 

To me depends on the opportunity cost -- if guys like Bruce Arians were right and the depth in the last draft at QB was a rare every 20 year event while lets say they tread at 8-8 where they aren't good enough to make a memorable season but also not bad enough to get one of the top QBs in the draft -- then I think the move wasn't worth it.  If conversely, they have a good run and make the playoffs and have some memorable seasons then it was worth it.  To me its TBD.  But I get your point and logic.  There is some power to being relevant versus rebuilding.  I agree with how you lay out the logic but for me the big picture-future is in play, I don't mind a rebuild for the right young QB. 

7 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, none of that really addresses the specific point that I don't see Smith's running ability falling off significantly in the 3 years he's likely to be here. I think his legs will be an asset in year 3 just like they will be this coming season. 

I addressed the running point in plenty of posts in the last couple of days in particular.  I just went back to my generalization on the trade.  IMO you can't really argue that Smith's running ability won't drop off significantly nor can I argue that it would.  It's not a logic based argument but its based on human biology and circumstance.  It's like me saying years back that Clinton Portis' speed and running ability will be almost the same at 27 then at 30 -- but how the heck would I know?  

My point ditto on Alex Smith his running ability at 36-37 versus 33-34 -- I can't argue it will diminish nor can someone argue it will stay the same.  Hence my point that Alex is TBD is on point at least based on my logic.   Every player is TBD obviously but when you get up in age the TBD becomes more pronounced.  Just someone saying he will keep his running ability just because -- has no logic to it IMO, that's just optimistic guessing.   I am not the only guy wondering about the subject, its brought up by a few observers about the trade.   And again the point from me isn't pessimism either.  But its also not slam dunk optimism.  It's an open question.  You got me if Alex is the same at 37 than he is at 34.   And my point is I don't think that way about a 30 year old QB versus a 33 year old. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To each his own.  But given that Kirk played for two years on fully guaranteed money, he was never playing for incentives.  I think it’s rather clear that he was simply making a point about how awesome it is to get a fully guaranteed contract.  As for the leader part, again - human nature.  This stuff isn’t new, folks have been beating this drum for Kirk since the end of the 2015 season.  That you can’t just let a guy play on a franchise tag for numerous reasons: the risk they outplay the tag in a league where the cap constantly goes up, and the psychological impact on the player himself and also the team around them.  Playing on a franchise tag is similar to being a lame duck coach.  The org has no long term investment in you and everyone else knows it. 

The problem is, Cousins admits that financial issues could affect his decision making during games. Not that it did, but that it could. It doesn't have to be incentives, it could be "If I throw too many interceptions I could lose a million a year on my next contract" and then find himself going to the safer option. The correct answer was to say "Money and financial ramifications never enter my mind when I'm on the field." He's trying to prop up the fully guaranteed contract the Vikings gave him (and that the Skins would not, at least as far as he knows) by saying it doesn't offer any financial distractions...but in the process he says he is a player that could be distracted. There are far better QBs who make far less than Cousins who would never say that. It's not a good look.

As for his comment on leadership, I'm guessing Case Keenum wasn't given--and didn't need--this same "platform" last year to become the team's leader. Didn't matter that he was known as the 3rd stringer.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ultimately you have to be careful with these kinds of quotes because they can be interpreted in a number of ways to fit specific agendas ...

howver when you pile this on other evidence things like how his team mates reacted when he left ... the clear frustration projected to Kirk from Jackson - the basic people comment - the fact as many people say he practiced as he played he would never push the envelope in practice that helps no one but Kirk - the fact he did not step in to make sure he appeared at least he was trying to get a ltd done here ...and now these comments 

it adds adds up to a guy who is pretty self serving and you cannot be that in a team game - because your individual  interests are not going to be same as your teammates individual interests but everyone should strive to win as a team - I also think it is interesting the team outwardly made it clear from 2015 onwards he was the unquestioned starter yet he describes himself as the forth round pick ..... do you think that’s how josh Norman or Quentin Dunbar think - or Chris Thompson thinks ? That they are so insecure they relate to themselves only as their draft position? 

Alex may not be as gifted as a thrower of the football but he has been through **** I mean real dysfunction disrespected his entire career delt with adversity and knows how to come through it and that experience as well as playing on playoff teams 6 of the last 7 years I think the numbers are secondary to the results . 

I hope kirk can put these insecurities behind him and actually play free because then he will be the QB who can win it all ... but he won’t be the guy we had here -

• Like 2

Why is it for some, "let's all get behind Alex Smith" means let's all get behind Alex Smith by tearing Cousins down?  You can prop one up without wrecking the other.

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’ve already said that I share SIP’s concern about Smith’s age long-term. But for me, it’s more about his arm strength. When it comes to his legs, one thing to note is that Alex is actually a few months younger than Aaron Rodgers, who is much more of a dual-threat QB than Alex is (even though Alex ran a slightly faster 40). I highly doubt the Packers are worried about Rodgers losing his effectiveness in a couple seasons just because he might lose a step or two. Mind you, Rodgers is probably the most talented QB in NFL history, so they’d be fools to worry about that. But I really don’t think either one of these guys’ athleticism will fall off a cliff at age 37/38.  In a few years, they’ll both probably still be faster than Kirk is now, for example. 

The granted Aaron Rodgers is the most talented QB in NFL history to me isn't to me an afterthought to the point, though.  It's a major part of it.  Alex's talent isn't elite like Rodgers where even if you fall off some from that, you are still very good.  Most deem Alex a good QB -- the fall off from good to lesser than that is a bigger deal IMO. Case in point Eli Manning who was good not great in his prime.  Not saying Alex will be Eli -- just saying we got no clue one way or another.  

The funny thing about the discussion to me is the team who knows Alex Smith the best, the Chiefs, went out of their way to draft their QB of the future.  I just don't buy Andy really thought Alex will just be getting better or staying the same for years to come -- but what the heck lets trade up in the draft and get a new guy just because.   He made two points related to the trade 1. Alex isn't getting any younger (he made that point when they traded for Mahomes.  2.  Hey we needed cap help.  I think the former point is the more honest point -- Reid is a nice guy -- but if I am running with the other point what team holds on to the supporting cast and gets rid of QB that they think will be very good for years to come?  It's the supporting cast that goes not the franchise QB -- I guess maybe sans the Redskins. :)

And your point about arm strength is on point, too.  Some act here (not you) like I am out of bounds (like what QB loses skills in their later 30s, that's crazy talk) but I am practically repeating word for word what many have said.  Heck I was just reading it again recently from an Eagles reporter about Alex when he did his wrap up about the Redskins season -- his point was Alex's arm isn't that strong to begin with and he relies on his legs -- how do both hold up as the inevitable age atrophy kicks in.   

And my point isn't that it falls off a cliff or that it doesn't hold up (my gut is it holds up fine for 2 years but I wonder after that) -- my point is how they heck do we know one way or another?  And, for a team who watched exactly what I mentioned could happen go down with the last two 34 year old QBs we acquired -- surprised the point is so outlandish that it could happen here too after a couple of seasons -- I am actually giving him more leeway than the last two 34 year olds -- one of whom was done right away when he arrived traded to us by the same head coach, and the other maybe had a season in a half of decent but not spectacular play left in him.  Do I think Alex is better than both?  Yes.  But the age point applies because the other 34 years old weren't their peak selfs for long after arriving.  And those aren't the only cases where that's happened at that age.  Could Alex play great for the next 4 years and be Tom Brady like as for a later career total non-drop off in play -- sure why not?  Could Alex just have a little left (2 seasons or so) and then his play isn't the same -- sure why not?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

What it does illustrate though, is that Kirk Cousins for whatever reason felt wronged by being drafted as an after thought to Griffin. And it showed. The damage was done right then and there. Instead of relishing the opportunity to come in and learn from the Shannys, he had the audacity to ask over the phone on draft day “ Are you sure you want to do this?” As if he was some golden armed prospect that had the ability to pick where he wanted to play and be “THE guy” from the get go. 

Its something I touched on from the beginning since I started posting here. Kirk Cousins never really wanted to be here. From the beginning. You can talk till your blue in the face about how horrible Bruce Allen is. The fact is, if he was serious about being here, he makes a better faith effort to negotiate than what he did. The damage was done long before Bruce Allen “lowballed” him. Unfortunately that point seemed to be lost among many, as it was preposterous for them to take any other stance than “Bruce Allen royally screwed up.”

I'm curious how wondering why in the hell a team would trade the farm for a Heisman winner only to draft another QB in the 4th round equates to him believing he's arrived and should be THE GUY from the get go.  Go back in time and read this board the day this team drafted Kirk Cousins.  WTF's were abundant and for very good reason.  It seemed absolutely ridiculous.  The whole world knew the team was going all in on RG3, and the whole world was shocked when they drafted Kirk 3 rounds later.  It all ties back to the dysfunction we talk about around here that many of you don't believe exists or atleast doesn't anymore.  RG3 was obviously a Dan thing that both Shanahan and Bruce played into - so I'm not giving them a pass.  Kirk was basically Shanny's way of getting 'his guy'. 

There are numerous other scenarios Kirk could have been drafted into where he wasn't going to be THE GUY right away.  But if I'm a quarterback with anywhere from 2nd - 6th round grades on me, my hope would be to go to a team where I might actually get an opportunity to start at some point down the line, whether that's to a bad team without any QB in mind or to sit behind a veteran starter and learn the game.  I'd think my worst case scenario is getting drafted behind a Heisman winner that the team gave up the world for.  I honestly do not understand how you can see this any other way.

You can talk until your blue in the face about how horrible Bruce Allen isn't.  The fact is that's 80% of your posting history.  That said, if Kirk Cousins was never long for Washington - why on earth would his agent have offered the team a LTD after the 2015 season? 

8 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Andy Reid has said that he worked with Alex to get him to a spot he could succeed in. And I believe him. His words about Alex show how much respect he has for the guy. Make no mistake, Alex was going to get a handsome contract and opportunity to be the guy somewhere around the league. So the fact that he seemed excited about Washington as a destination seems genuine to me. And having your starting QB wanting to be here, and the fact the team now knows that, has to count for something. It doesn’t mean Kirk is a bad guy and Alex is the best thing since sliced bread. But it is in fact a very good thing that should help this team get to where it wants to be. I wish Kirk the best but I am excited about Alex leading the team. 

I'm not here to tell you that Alex is a bad dude or that Andy Reid is a liar.  I'll just say that I think sports fans tend to invest entirely too much stock in what gets said publicly.  You are correct in that Alex was going to get a handsome contract and opportunity somewhere.  It's in print that the two destinations were Cleveland and Washington, with Cleveland not being willing to pony up to the extent Washington did on a LTD.  If I'm Alex - hell yeah I choose Jay Gruden and the Washington Redskins, even if the money is close.

46 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Why is it for some, "let's all get behind Alex Smith" means let's all get behind Alex Smith by tearing Cousins down?  You can prop one up without wrecking the other.

It's primarily the same people that were tearing Cousins down before Alex Smith got here though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The problem is, Cousins admits that financial issues could affect his decision making during games. Not that it did, but that it could. It doesn't have to be incentives, it could be "If I throw too many interceptions I could lose a million a year on my next contract" and then find himself going to the safer option. The correct answer was to say "Money and financial ramifications never enter my mind when I'm on the field." He's trying to prop up the fully guaranteed contract the Vikings gave him (and that the Skins would not, at least as far as he knows) by saying it doesn't offer any financial distractions...but in the process he says he is a player that could be distracted. There are far better QBs who make far less than Cousins who would never say that. It's not a good look.

Yeah, it's a shame that Cousins admits that quarterbacks are human.  I know fans like to believe that all football players are gridiron cyborgs that only care about the team and fans they play for, but that's just not real life 99.9% of the time.

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

As for his comment on leadership, I'm guessing Case Keenum wasn't given--and didn't need--this same "platform" last year to become the team's leader. Didn't matter that he was known as the 3rd stringer.

And where is Case Keenum today?  Playing for the Broncos.  Obviously he wasn't seen as the leader the team needed or he would still be there.  So I'm not sure how this is a great point.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I addressed the running point in plenty of posts in the last couple of days in particular.  I just went back to my generalization on the trade.  IMO you can't really argue that Smith's running ability won't drop off significantly nor can I argue that it would.  It's not a logic based argument but its based on human biology and circumstance.  It's like me saying years back that Clinton Portis' speed and running ability will be almost the same at 27 then at 30 -- but how the heck would I know?  

My point ditto on Alex Smith his running ability at 36-37 versus 33-34 -- I can't argue it will diminish nor can someone argue it will stay the same.  Hence my point that Alex is TBD is on point at least based on my logic.   Every player is TBD obviously but when you get up in age the TBD becomes more pronounced.  Just someone saying he will keep his running ability just because -- has no logic to it IMO, that's just optimistic guessing.   I am not the only guy wondering about the subject, its brought up by a few observers about the trade.   And again the point from me isn't pessimism either.  But its also not slam dunk optimism.  It's an open question.  You got me if Alex is the same at 37 than he is at 34.   And my point is I don't think that way about a 30 year old QB versus a 33 year old. 

OK, fair enough.

To the highlighted point above...I'm not blindly stating that Smith won't degrade some or will keep his running ability just because. My point is that he can degrade a little each year and still be an effective runner. He isn't going to go from where he is now to being immobile. Am I SURE OF THAT? Well, no. But is it based on logic due to the fact that guys don't physically fall off a cliff like that very often? Yes .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I was as ardent a Cousins supporter as there was,, even felt that if they screwed this up once they had a QB in hand, i wasn't sure my fanhood could continue.

But his recent comments tear himself down, and show why I was wrong.

This weekend he (paraphrasing) said that here in DC he never felt like anything except a 4th round pick, whereas in MN he has been given the role of leadership.

He feels he was never GIVEN leadership here.
First off, if you are the starting quarterback, you are GIVEN leadership, no two ways about it. Even if you are a fill in backup, it is on you to grab that role, because it is yours to take.

Secondly, Jay Gruden banged the table for him, basically put his foot down and said Cousins HAD to be his QB, and RG3 HAD to go. he put his own reputation and potential future as a head coach on the line to make Cousins his starting QB, and demanded to be allowed to bench the guy everyone thought was Wonderboy and had divided the fans of the city.

And Cousins doesn't feel like he was GIVEN leadership.

That really says a lot to me about why they considered him just a 4th round pick. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

@Bang that's my biggest criticism of him lately. 

In Management you learn about assigned leadership and emergent leadership...the latter being the more effective of the two because it's natural. If you need your coach or someone to tell everyone "OK, listen to Kirk, he's our leader now" then you've already lost the battle. 

He was promoted to starting QB in 2015 over the guy selected #2 overall. That was just 3 years removed from the draft so, despite Griffin not looking good, that's a reasonable timeline for a team to essentially give up on someone they spent 3-4 high picks to acquire. That alone should have given him the confidence to lead the team. If not that, the following two seasons of being the unquestioned starter and earning $45M from the team should have been enough. 

If you aren't ready to lead after those things, it's just not in your DNA. 

Edit: And, by the way, it's OK if you're not a leader. But you don't get to complain in an article that "finally the stars are perfectly aligned for my teammates to have to consider me a leader."

I think Cousins is a thinker and is very bright. Sometimes, that can shoot you in the foot with these things because he seems to over-analyze EVERYTHING. Again, I can relate and I respect how his mind works, but it's not always a perfect fit for something like this. You need to be almost a little TOO confident to be the perfect alpha-male QB. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 2

I think it’s rather clear that many of you didn’t read the article.  He never said anything about being given anything at all.  He actually took the high road and said he felt supported in Washington.  He also said the difference in MIN is that he’s a seven year vet vs. in Washington he was a 4th round pick who had been benched and was still trying to figure things out and playing on franchise tags, so it’s a different perspective.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it’s rather clear that many of you didn’t read the article.  He never said anything about being given anything at all.  He actually took the high road and said he felt supported in Washington.  He also said the difference in MIN is that he’s a seven year vet vs. in Washington he was a 4th round pick who had been benched and was still trying to figure things out and playing on franchise tags, so it’s a different perspective.

I read most of the quotes from the article, but you're right I didn't read the whole thing. 

I do disagree about him taking the high-road. He was VERY passive-aggressive when making it seem he was doing so. His whole "A narrative developed that the Redskins didn't support me...well I'm here to say I felt supported." 

Come on - that's passive aggressive 101. He's introducing that narrative into the conversation just to look like the boy scout who's dismissing it. Bravo. HA

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I read most of the quotes from the article, but you're right I didn't read the whole thing. 

I do disagree about him taking the high-road. He was VERY passive-aggressive when making it seem he was doing so. His whole "A narrative developed that the Redskins didn't support me...well I'm here to say I felt supported." 

Come on - that's passive aggressive 101. He's introducing that narrative into the conversation just to look like the boy scout who's dismissing it. Bravo. HA

That’s one of a number of occasions that he’s said something similar.  

I reckon ‘most’ of the quotes are those cherry picked by guys that get clicks from Redskins fans and know to how to frame them.  I actually read the article and thought to myself - how could the homers have anything negative to say about this, yet here we pretty much are.

There is literally nothing he could say that would sway you one way one way or the other.  Admit that atleast.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s one of a number of occasions that he’s said something similar.  

There is literally nothing he could say that would sway you one way one way or the other.  Admit that atleast.

You might be right...but I was one of his number one fans here forever, so I didn't come into this jaded or against him. I told my best friend in late-2012 that my biggest fear was that the better long-term QB was on the bench while Griffin played. That was 2012 when the entire city was sure Griffin would read-option us to championships and MVPs. So, I've had Cousins' back for years now. 

Cousins started to wear out his welcome with me when he seemed to want to play both sides of the fence. I don't care that he made millions here and I don't hold it against him that he played the tag situation perfectly to pile on $80M more in Minnesota. What rubs me the wrong way is how he still tries to act wide-eyed and naive to the press. He had every intention of re-defining how players can leverage the tag...so own that. Don't try to be the innocent, "aw shucks" Midwestern kid to the fans and press but the ruthless businessman behind the scenes. It's the duplicity that slowly started bothering me and see it more and more in each and every comment or quote of his. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, he didn't say that in Minnesota he is a seven year vet . he said 

"Here, I'm known as the starting quarterback and a seven-year veteran," Cousins says. "So I'm instantly given a platform and place to lead from. In Washington, I was a fourth-round pick. I was a guy who had been benched. I was a guy who was figuring it out. I was a guy with the franchise tag. So the perception can be different."

Perception clearly can be different.

to me he clearly says that in MN he is seen instantly as a leader.. who has been GIVEN a platform from which to lead. He also clearly says in DC all he was seen as is a 4th round pick.

What, his coach demanding him to be his starter isn't GIVING him a platform from which to lead? He wasn't known as the starting QB here? Once he was handed the job, was anyone ever a threat to take it from him? Was he ever looking over his shoulder at anyone once he was named the starter?

His coach risking his own reputation to elevate him does not erase the status of a 4th round pick who was benched and figuring it out?
(nevermind he actually WAS a QB figuring it out.) he says "i'm the guy with thr franchise tag" as if he doesn't understand what that means. (But he does, because prior to that comment he mentions how much money he made. They don't just give that to people they consider chumps.)

Somehow he ignores all of that. Somehow he sees himself as somehow victimized by the fact that he WAS a young QB figuring it out and that his coach had backed him 100%, and HANDED him that platform?

"Kirk Cousins is our starting QB going forward. Next question" is what i seem to recall hearing out of Gruden.

Kirk had an axe to grind for whatever reason, and he's not finished grinding it.

He also says that he was paid handsomely for his time here.. so which part of any of that says to anyone that he wasn't given a platform from which to lead here?

Newsflash for Kirk.. think there was pressure here over being a guy who wanted the #2 pick's job? Imagine how it'll be with a fully guaranteed contract. It's Super Bowl or bust. Nothing less.

He was given everything he says he wasn't while he was here. what his comments sound like to me was he never got over being a fourth round pick and felt it was a slight from the first day. The fact Shanahan picked him right after picking RG should have told him what coaches at this level thought of him, but it didn't. The fact Gruden went to bat for him should have told him, but it didn't.

the fact they kept giving him franchise tags should have told him, but it didn't.

I don't pretend to know which side is at fault here, but I see how he's handling it, To me the above is a shot he thinks he's firing back, but is actually exposing more about himself. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Cousins started to wear out his welcome with me when he seemed to want to play both sides of the fence. I don't care that he made millions here and I don't hold it against him that he played the tag situation perfectly to pile on $80M more in Minnesota. What rubs me the wrong way is how he still tries to act wide-eyed and naive to the press. He had every intention of re-defining how players can leverage the tag...so own that. Don't try to be the innocent, "aw shucks" Midwestern kid to the fans and press but the ruthless businessman behind the scenes. It's the duplicity that slowly started bothering me and see it more and more in each and every comment or quote of his. 

That's one way to paint it and if you really feel that way, to each his own.  But I think it's that deep down  you are a die-hard Redskins fan and feel burnt by the situation.  I don't know you or anyone here for that matter, but that's just how it comes across.  I just don't see how or why he has to own anything in regards to leveraging the tag.  Like you would all the sudden be cool with him if he turned heel and said 'WOOOOHHH F BRUCE ALLEN, I styled and profiled his dumbass straight to the bank'.  Even that comment he provided seemed as if it was prodded out of him within the context of the conversation he was having.  Not like he went out of his way to make a passive aggressive statement, it was more like he was using it to color the conversation.

@Bang I typically agree with you but I think you're wildly off here and kind of just rounding into football season shape getting fired up about this.  I just didn't see how he was firing any type of shot whatsoever.  It was clear as day to me that he was saying here I've got a 3 year deal and they brought me in as the vet they thought they needed to take the next step.  In Washington, I was a 4th rounder who sucked enough to get benched and then I was playing on 1 year deals.  It's literally night and day scenarios. 

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's one way to paint it and if you really feel that way, to each his own.  But I think it's that deep down  you are a die-hard Redskins fan and feel burnt by the situation.  I don't know you or anyone here for that matter, but that's just how it comes across.  I just don't see how or why he has to own anything in regards to leveraging the tag.  Like you would all the sudden be cool with him if he turned heel and said 'WOOOOHHH F BRUCE ALLEN, I styled and profiled his dumbass straight to the bank'.  Even that comment he provided seemed as if it was prodded out of him within the context of the conversation he was having.  Not like he went out of his way to make a passive aggressive statement, it was more like he was using it to color the conversation.

You hear guys say things like that all the time when it comes to contracts. Players are open that they have a short window during which to earn their money and they feel obliged to take advantage. He doesn't have to say that, but when his actions don't match up with his comments, then he also has to understand that he'll be questioned. 

"I want to be a Redskin" doesn't line up with "I won't negotiate until after FA hits"

Sorry - it just doesn't. To his credit, he did say something about getting to choose where to play for the first time since 2010 or something. But, that too doesn't match up with wanting to be a Redskin. I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't dispute your theory that I'm impacted by how everything went down. I just know that other players have left and haven't grated me like he has. 

I can certainly shut up about it, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking he hasn't done himself any favors. And, I also acknowledge that the team screwed this one up royally around mid-season 2015. 

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Bang I typically agree with you but I think you're wildly off here and kind of just rounding into football season shape getting fired up about this.  I just didn't see how he was firing any type of shot whatsoever.  It was clear as day to me that he was saying here I've got a 3 year deal and they brought me in as the vet they thought they needed to take the next step.  In Washington, I was a 4th rounder who sucked enough to get benched and then I was playing on 1 year deals.  It's literally night and day scenarios. 

That's all fine and good but the context is leadership. I think Mayfield is a questionable talent, but do you really think that guy is going to let all those external factors decide if he's going to be the unquestioned leader of his team come training camp? I don't. Some guys are leaders and don't need the stars to align. Other guys aren't. Neither is good or bad in life...we are who we are. But he comes across as someone stating that he can finally lead now because x, y, and z are all taken care of. 

• Like 1