Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

11 minutes ago, LMFAO Alex Smith said:

Do you think there is any way we can have alex retire, then bring him on the coaching staff as a QB coach and assistant?

From what I hear he is an intellect at QB and is good at mentoring. If that were the case would it be possible that we can transition is contract into the coaching salary therefore nullifying cap impact?

I have no idea, but that idea just popped into my head.

He would be paid an average of about $4-6M more than Bill Belichick. Looks kind of odd.

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I do find it funny that someone prefaces a statement with "I don't want to be overdramatic" and then proceeds to state that this will "alter the trajectory of the entire franchise" in the next sentence. 

My turn...I'm not trying to be underdramatic, but I always assumed our next QB would be a drafted player anyway. So, I could easily see us paying off the Smith contract, keeping Colt around, and adding a rookie contract. The guys who end up taking the snaps might be different, but the cost we counted on would be roughly the same. 

I don't disagree with the premise of your post, but there was an opportunity cost to acquiring Smith. Take that money and spread it around Colt and/or draft pick would have been far more prudent. But some of it is just plain bad luck, unfortunately for us. But doesn't change the facts as of now.

3 minutes ago, LMFAO Alex Smith said:

Lol you are right it would look odd, but if that removed the cap hit, wouldn’t that be a good option?

Well, QB assistant would be a good idea. Now all he has to do is restructure his contract to an assistants salary of about $1M as soon as Snyder offers him a $44M Xmas present.

Finlay a few minutes ago on the radio, saying coaches were publicly saying one thing but "privately they were pulling the hair out about Alex's play".  That's how Finlay expressed it.

Saying this because I've heard that now variations of the same point from multiple reporters.   So wonder what happens if Colt plays well?  I've heard enough to believe that Jay and his staff like Alex the guy but not so much the player.   Ditto supposedly Jay really really digs Colt.  So if Colt plays well -- obviously that would likely mean a playoff run -- what then happens with Alex?  Should be interesting.  But first things first -- lets hope Colt plays well and doesn't get hurt. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay a few minutes ago on the radio, saying coaches were publicly saying one thing but "privately they were pulling the hair out about Alex's play".  That's how Finlay expressed it.

Saying this because I've heard that now variations of the same point from multiple reporters.   So wonder what happens if Colt plays well?  I've heard enough to believe that Jay and his staff like Alex the guy but not so much the player.   Ditto supposedly Jay really really digs Colt.  So if Colt plays well -- obviously that would likely mean a playoff run -- what then happens with Alex?  Should be interesting.  But first things first -- lets hope Colt plays well and doesn't get hurt. 

It was easy to see how comfortable Colt looked. I honestly feel just as good about playoffs as I did, maybe better. But I did think there were some signs to Alex getting it in the last game and over the weeks, it was just coming together too slow.

But yeah, I'm pumped for Colt.

11 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

It was easy to see how comfortable Colt looked. I honestly feel just as good about playoffs as I did, maybe better. But I did think there were some signs to Alex getting it in the last game and over the weeks, it was just coming together too slow.

But yeah, I'm pumped for Colt.

Hearing some of the lukewarm stuff about Alex that's been filtering over time about him from beat guys (citing coaches, FO) that seemed to match his play to my naked eye -- and conversely hearing all the praise for Colt this week, hard for me not to be a little pumped and hope to see improvement.    I guess the one thing that makes me pause about Colt is his TD to turnover ratio is atrocious over his career and he's brittle.  But I've heard enough about the new and improved version of him, that I am eager to see it.  

Alex showed some flashes I think in his last three games but there was something painful about watching him and the offense function.   I suspect that will go away with Colt.  Will see though.  Colts seem to play with gumption, spark and moxie that you don't see from Alex.  The key question for me is can he control it.  

19 minutes ago, LMFAO Alex Smith said:

Do you think there is any way we can have alex retire, then bring him on the coaching staff as a QB coach and assistant?

If that were the case would it be possible that we can transition is contract into the coaching salary therefore nullifying cap impact?

Are you just assuming the rest of the NFL is stupid?

What happened the last time we tried to cheat the salary cap?

2 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I thought the dead cap (for 2020) was $16M?

The dead cap would be $16.2M if cut before June 1st and $5.4M if we use one of our two post June 1st designations for 2020.

I don't use over the cap because the interface is **** and it won't calculate post June 1 cuts for 2020.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/2020/

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if Colt plays well -- obviously that would likely mean a playoff run -- what then happens with Alex?

I think you will see the same thing that happened to RG3 in the preseason of 2015 but I imagine they will try to spin it as Alex isn't fully healthy yet and give Colt a chance to start the season.  If Colt does well he remains the starter and if he fails then they have Alex to fall back on (when he's healthy).

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

From what I gather, it sounds worse than it is.  The recovery is still 6-8 months.  So that was the prognosis after all that.  The way it's described to the layman (including myself), the details of it made it sound like they were gonna have to chop his leg off. 

But reading and hearing some more in-depth medical opinions, barring any unforeseen developments, if he chooses to return, there should be nothing impacting his ability to be back by the preseason.  

It's the unknown recovery that is of concern at this point. Nobody knows how He and his body will respond. 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So wonder what happens if Colt plays well?  I've heard enough to believe that Jay and his staff like Alex the guy but not so much the player.   Ditto supposedly Jay really really digs Colt.  So if Colt plays well -- obviously that would likely mean a playoff run -- what then happens with Alex?  Should be interesting.  But first things first -- lets hope Colt plays well and doesn't get hurt. 

That's part of Bruce's plan. 

Alex get injured during the season. We're forced to pay him. And thus play him next year.

But since Jay will get this working with Colt, we'll let him leave during the offseason and get another comp pick.

I wish Alex a total recovery, but at the same time I'm pissed off about this utter stupid FO. The way his contract is structured means that in the worst case scenario we will have to pay him and that money will count against our cap, this is insane.

While I was a proponent of Smith's no turnover brand of football being beneficial to our record (keep in mind, I said beneficial and not the reason for the record), his play was definitely frustrating. And seeing McCoy come in and be fully aware of the offense, concepts and responsibilities did bring a sense of possibility that I hadn't had. Looking forward to seeing what Colt has.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/20/long-term-ramifications-alex-smith-injury-remain-unclear-redskins/?utm_term=.2daa13c11a50

...A compound fracture refers to a bone puncturing the skin. The spiral description means that a bone was broken in a twisting fashion, as opposed to a straight, clean break.

Alexis Colvin, orthopedic sports medicine surgeon at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, said a compound break is the more problematic of the two issues.

“It’s now, really, two injuries that he’s recovering from,” Colvin said, speaking generally about those types of injuries. “The broken bone, but also the muscle and the skin being injured around the leg.

“The compound and the spiral parts . . . they’re both telling us the bone is broken in more than just two pieces. Instead of trying to get two pieces of bone to heal together, it may be multiple pieces that you’re trying to get to heal together. Both of those things factor into the healing time.”

There is a greater risk of infection with compound fractures, because of all of the outside debris that could get into the wound once it broke through the skin. The soft tissue must be cleaned out during surgery, Colvin explained, and it sometimes requires going back in for another cleaning with an additional surgery.

Colvin said these types of injuries typically take six weeks before the patient can put any weight on the limb. The rehab process goes from learning how to put weight on the leg, then strengthening it, then preparing for low- to high-impact activities. That can take up to a year, Colvin said.

That isn’t to say Smith’s rehab would also take that long, but there is some question about Smith’s ability to return to his previous level, especially as a player in the latter stages of his career.

...the Redskins would face major salary cap ramifications if they needed to move on from Smith due to his injury. Both the $15 million for 2019 and $16 million for 2020 would count against the salary cap in those respective years. If the team were to release Smith before June 1, 2019, it would leave the Redskins with a massive $52.6 million in dead money on the 2019 cap. Their alternative would be to release Smith after June 1, leaving $20.4 million in dead money for 2019 and $32.2 million in 2020.

15 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I don't disagree with the premise of your post, but there was an opportunity cost to acquiring Smith. Take that money and spread it around Colt and/or draft pick would have been far more prudent. But some of it is just plain bad luck, unfortunately for us. But doesn't change the facts as of now.

Oh I agree...there's no scenario where having Alex as a backup is better than never having acquired him. I'm just trying to look at the bright side and state that having him and letting Colt or a rookie play over him isn't MUCH different than having him with Colt and rookie backing him up. 

Colt just signed an extension for 1 year in July good through 2019. So in 2020 he's a FA and Alex's contract can also be handled in 2020 so the CAP hit doesn't change until 2020 when we have to deal with the problem. We'll have 2 drafts for a rookie QB prospect. Alex may make a recovery..they are "saying" 8 months full recovery..don't know if that is feasible BUT if Colt balls out this year and next while Alex rehabs...we're not too different at all.

The real point being..we had no real choice for 2018 at the QB position. BTW I was screaming draft day 2016 to TRADE and get a Rookie QB then..so far *my* predictions have been pretty spot on including the Texan's game getting Alex hurt..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/colt-mccoy-6593/

Yeah, I’m not seeing all the doom and gloom.  This team was locked in to Alex/Colt through to 2020 and locked in to .500ish football through to 2020...and it still is.  Not much has really changed.  And if it bottoms out, that’s just better draft position for the next HC/QB.

Considering the prevailing opinion concerning Smith was that he was ill-equipped for this offense, this injury should elevate our optimism.  I am one of Smith’s more consistent defenders and Im not freaking out at all.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Alex's retiring, which I'd doubt he does anyway, doesn't seem to help the cap.  Digesting this the injury kills the one way where you could have escaped the full cap hit which would be to release before the league year of 2019 where you'd just eat 2019 but that seems out the window now.

I'm so confused now, those numbers aren't what they have on their website.

They show the 2020 post June 1st cut as $5.4M in dead cap.

Archived