Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Hold up. If he does retire due to injury what happens to the money we owe him? 

I hate that I'm that guy, but I am. 

From my understanding we are allowed to pursue a certain amount of his signing bonus that he would otherwise get if he played (that's what Lions did to Barry Sanders).  A retirement counts as the player cutting themselves.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

Teams can end a contract at any time, but so can players. In a player's case, though, the only way they can do this is by retiring. In the end, though, the math looks pretty much the same as if the player had been cut -- and the June 1 rule applies here, too.

For instance, if our player from the example above had retired instead of being cut, his money would account the same way as if he had been cut by the team. If he files his retirement paperwork on or after June 1, the money counts as if he was cut on or after June 1.

Just like anything else in the NFL, though, there is a "but" for this rule, too: if the player retires with time remaining on his contract, then chooses to come back into the league later, he is not a free agent. Contracts apply, in most cases, to accrued seasons, not calendar years. If the player doesn't play, he doesn't accrue a season. Therefore, his return to the field would put him back under the control of the same team, unless that team chooses to cut him. This rule is part of the reason why Barry Sanders chose to retire: the Lions refused to cut him, and he decided he'd rather stop playing altogether than play another season for Detroit. Conversely, Brett Favre retired, and then the team chose to cut him while he was retired. He was then able to return to the league later as a free agent.

Okay, there are actually two "buts" for retirements. When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator. This is known as the "Barry Sanders Rule" because this is exactly how the situation played out in his case, as he was required to pay back a portion of his bonus. The difference between now and then is there was no precedent when Sanders played; now, it's explicitly written into the CBA to allow for this arbitration.

Just now, dswerdlw said:

Really feel bad for Smith, but the beat goes on.  At least he's had a long career.  My guess is that we're on the phone to Bradford, but I'd rather have a mobile quarterback as a backup at this point.  Get Kaepernick on the line.

Anybody but Kaepernick, anybody.

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

Really feel bad for Smith, but the beat goes on.  At least he's had a long career.  My guess is that we're on the phone to Bradford, but I'd rather have a mobile quarterback as a backup at this point.  Get Kaepernick on the line.

Please, God, let's not call either of them.  Neither is good, and one hasn't taken a snap in forever.  Just so NO.

Alex broke his tibia and fibula, I had the same injury in college, it's gonna be tough to come back from that at his age.

I wish the best for him, I don't think he's a good player but he's a good person and leader so while this is tough for Alex he will heal and he will be fine.

3 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Kaepernick hasn't played since New Year's Day 2017.  At this point, I'd want a guy that has been playing football. Training camps, practicing, games.  He's been on ice a long time.

I guess its shock, but he took that break like a ****ing man lol...just like..."welp....ow..."

Feel really bad for him, I mean he's gonna need real invasive work on that and it could mean the end of his career.

Makes our situation interesting.  Probably doesn't change our plans for a future QB, but it may happen sooner now.

Just now, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Well...I called it..I guess *some* of you will be happy now?

Seriously, that is a real ****ty thing to say.  I have not seen anyone happy that Alex got hurt, and as one of Alex's biggest critics, I can say I am not happy to see him injured. 

Just now, justice98 said:

Anybody available in late November isn't going to be good though.

True, but there has to be guys in better football shape that are better than both of them.  There were several QB's that weren't drafted or were late round picks that got cut or are on practice squads.  We should be looking at one of them.

Archived