Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Consistently been in the top 10 (15, 16, and this year).  Maybe it just had something to do with the most injured offensive line in the history of this team?  Alex Smith never sniffed the top 10 until he got Hunt/Hill.  

Case Keenum was #2 QBR in 2017 with this Vikes offense...and a 1.2M contract.

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think that’s merely a result of not wanting to get hit.  I’m not sure about the rest of his career one way or the other, but I can’t think of a time he’s braced for the blow and threw a strike for us.

I never even considered that.  Man.  Did you see his face when AP just chucked the ball at him?  I thought that was wrong but part of me wondered why AP did it.  

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

However, one thing I think is still be understated is the fact that he protects the ball well.  Not turning the ball over has been an asset for these close games. 

Understated?

It’s literally the only positive that is ever made in reference to him as a player.

Also, are the games even this close if he actually hits the throws that are there to make week in and week out?

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Understated?

It’s literally the only positive that is ever made in reference to him as a player.

Also, are the games even this close if he actually hits the throws that are there to make week in and week out?

Underrated and understated are not the same thing 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Underrated and understated are not the same thing 

Its not understated though. Anyone that’s been remotely positive about Smith has went on and on about him not turning it over.  Rightfully so, because it’s literally the only positive contribution.  Thank god for Trent’s pick up and carry or even that positive becomes blurrier. 

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Its not understated though. Anyone that’s been remotely positive about Smith has went on and on about him not turning it over.  Rightfully so, because it’s literally the only positive contribution.  Thank god for Trent’s pick up and carry or even that positive becomes blurrier. 

Your right this whole time I thought yall said underrated 

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Colt McCoy is not the answer, but I would love to see how the offense looked with him in for even a series.  

Problem is you can't just put him out there for a few series without messing up whatever it is we have going on right now. Though I have to admit I am curious too

It’s hard to say right now to put Colt in as the team is 4-2 and Alex is sneaky bad in that his negatives are being outweighed by AP and the defenses positives.

However, if this offense lays another egg in NY and loses another while the defense gives up less than 20, and then then can’t find a way to score on the damn Falcons...all this is actually a very legit conversation.  

Its hard to even envision the above happening after a win like yesterday.  But you never know.  I’d venture a guess that might be enough to get a look at Colt.  If Jay is allowed.

They've rotated rookie or raw centers on him, the lines been cheese for weeks. He just led us to a win against one of the better defenses, without our only two decent WRs, his primary dump off recieving back, while our TEs went against possibly the best ILBs in the league. 

I'm not saying Smith is going to set the world on fire, but in a game where TOs are absolutely crucial, he got us the win with both arms tied behind his back and not every QB would have done that.

Running out of bounds was dumb, yes, but I think we all know how it feels to watch our QB throw a 4rth Q int on a play like that instead.

New poster here from toronto Canada.  I was a fan of the the redskins in the theismann riggins era as a kid.  Hated the cowboys.  Didn’t latch on to any team really for years after Doug Williams but since getting into football again in the last few years I have the Redskins again as my favourite team. 

I’m here to vent.

I’ve read a lot of these posts and personally I can’t stand to watch Alex Smith.  I don’t buy that he brings anything that any other below average qb brings.  I hate the ‘game manager’ description. 

The NO game was the absolute worst depiction of Smith, where he ended up ‘game managing’ for the Saints.  Down a couple of TD’s, on 2nd or 3rd and long, he would still be check downing or getting quick outs for 2 yards and the clock still running.  He has no chance of coming back from 2 td’s – he never changed his approach in that game and didn’t even seem to try.  I don’t even know why he was still in the game for most of the second half.

Some people might not have liked Cousins, but I have admired him because I guess he believes in himself and his arm in any situation – probably too much.  Certainly that has gotten him into situations where he has held the ball too long and fumbled, or thrown the ball into interceptions.   But at least I felt like he has a chance at coming back.

Smith goes out there every down hoping there will be a long run after a catch underneath. 

Sorry to bring up KC again or that dreadful Saints game.  I just can’t stand watching Smith, he hasn’t really done any better and I don’t think he deserves any credit really for the redskins ‘success’.  Its all the D and AP. I needed to vent. 

(PS I hate the wizards...)   

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They've rotated rookie or raw centers on him, the lines been cheese for weeks. He just led us to a win against one of the better defenses, without our only two decent WRs, his primary dump off recieving back, while our TEs went against possibly the best ILBs in the league. 

I'm not saying Smith is going to set the world on fire, but in a game where TOs are absolutely crucial, he got us the win with both arms tied behind his back and not every QB would have done that.

Running out of bounds was dumb, yes, but I think we all know how it feels to watch our QB throw a 4rth Q int on a play like that instead.

Agreed, I also think Gruden made a very telling statement at his press conference. 

"Offensively, Its gonna come. Im not worried about the stats...we won." - That sounds like a guy who is confident in his system and the QB, but waiting for them to come together. If we keep playing defense and running the ball, Alex will get there over the next 4-6 weeks.

I dont know how accurate that is, but I much rather have that than the reverse of a good offense and bad defense.

Defenses get tired and hurt as the season goes on, they dont just "Click" the way an offense can.

24 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I hope for some sake that Alex keeps playing this way so that there is still ample material to complain about! I don't know what some would do if that well dried up.

Oh, trust me, we'd do just fine. I personally love talking about how ****ing good AP has been. :cheers:

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

I never even considered that.  Man.  Did you see his face when AP just chucked the ball at him?  I thought that was wrong but part of me wondered why AP did it.  

Realistically, I think AP just wanted to make a play. Figured maybe Alex could scramble and maybe find someone in the back of the end zone.

But some part of me wants to think that AP was giving the ball to Alex so he could get drilled for completely botching the play. Smith got the play real late, without enough time on the play clock for Davis to get into position to block the DT that he was supposed to. Smith had to snap it before Davis was in position, and decided not to take a time out. The DT that hit Peterson in the backfield for a loss. Smith completely botched the play. Some part of me wants to think that AP was just getting back at Smith for it.

Alex has 6 fumbles and 2 Int's this year, it's not like he steady Eddie back there, we've been lucky to recover those fumbles.

Alex is playing terrible right now, for those sticking up for him I'm not sure what you're seeing that gives you hope, this isn't about Kirk vs Alex it's about Alex looking lost, not being a leader, poor situational play, and being gutless.

12 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Mo Harris has a ton of potential.  Not saying he's a starter, but if we cut him he would find employment within a week.

As a WR4 or 5, sure, no argument there.

Look, they all have potential. Practice squads around the league are stocked with potential. We're rolling into NYC week 8 with "potential."

Alex does not look comfortable and he has missed some easy throws. The one to Sprinkle in the end zone is a good example.

He is also good at protecting the ball and we are winning games. 

Some good, some bad. 

Here's hoping he gets better with more time in the offense. Just a little bit better and we will be in good shape.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I cant believe were seeing people calling for Colt ****ing McCoy.

Maybe if we were 2-4 and didn't give up so much for Smith, but that's not real life.

Yup. The Colt McCoy train left the platform the day Alex was signed. The FO should have started with the Colt. I had no problem with tanking for a franchise QB. Not tanking on purpose but I am sure it would have turned out that way. Too bad the FO was more interested in replacing Kirk with someone who they thought was an older and mature version of Kirk.

Dan is always in the WIN NOW ****ing mode. :(

Alex really needs to work with Doctson more and get his timing and chemistry going with him in the next game or two. This can help Alex. We shall see. 

In the end I don't think anyone will complain if we go deep into the playoffs with Alex. But the questions is how deep can he take the team or at all?

Archived