Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

15 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Ok why are we assuming that we're seeing the absolute best that Alex Smith has to offer?  As he continues to play in this offense, why are we supposed to believe that he can't continue to grow within it?  I know he's 34, but the system is new to him.. and like I pointed out, the playmakers have been shuffling around so the idea of how Smith is supposed to have some connection with Doctson when it's not only been reported that he doesn't get a lot of separation, but he also had NO time in the preseason, and he's already missed multiple games?  Players are missing practice and not getting reps, then we expect some sort of miraculous ability to produce at game speed?   If anything we need to be looking at why these guys didnt play more in preseason because we handled them with kid gloves.  How can he have the right timing with the team when the first time he see's that guy is during the game?  

Ok, but what does all the system or personnel have to do with missing wide open receivers or running out of bounds at a crucial moment?  This guy is rattled and playing tentative.  Like a baseball pitcher he's aiming instead of just letting the ball rip.  The skinny post is an easy throw so I'm not going to get hyped up about that.  Show me some touch on the long balls and on play action.  Show me some great decision making.  Take a couple hits (at least one or two a game) to scramble for some first downs.  He was supposed to bring all the intangibles to the team and if can't do that then clearly Colt is the better option. 

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Ok why are we assuming that we're seeing the absolute best that Alex Smith has to offer?  

This isn't even close to the best he has to offer.  Everyone hoped there wouldn't be a learning curve.   Gruden said there wouldn't be.... well that was pie in the sky.  Clearly the offense isn't working yet.   Injuries play a part,  new scheme,  etc, but this isn't even close to Smith's game.  And that's coming from someone who still acknowledges that when you see"his game" plenty of you are still not going to be excited about it... but we aren't even close to "Smith's game" yet.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Ok so reading your post, you're not benching Alex... you're looking at Gruden to change some things to HELP Alex be more and more effective?  

He can’t bench him right now, but folks aren’t insane for thinking Colt could perform at the same level that Alex has to this point.

Yes, I do think Jay needs to eat some crow on his “smartest quarterback” stuff he talked about with Smith, like he’s just plug and play because he’s a 14 year vet.  You have to look at what worked and why, in Alex’s best season as a pro.  Then try to integrate that into the gameplans.  Granted that’s probably much easier said than done given the differences in offensive personnel.  

8 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

But you are right about one thing here.  WHY didn't he throw to Reed in the RZ?   He is really stuck in some tendencies he can't seem to overcome.  Gruden needs to come up with something to help Alex and Alex has to help himself. 

I think that’s merely a result of not wanting to get hit.  I’m not sure about the rest of his career one way or the other, but I can’t think of a time he’s braced for the blow and threw a strike for us.

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

In a weird way, this division is shaping up to be a parallel of Alex Smith's career.  The Giants are ****ting the bed and the Eagles and Cowboys are inconsistent.  All the Redskins have to do is not screw this up and they can take the division.  Kinda like how all Alex Smith has to do is not screw up and he'll win games.

It ain't gonna always be this easy in the east though. If he cant put together a decent season (specifically him, not the team) next year then I'm in favor for benching him for whatever rookie we get. 

If its him and Colt, though, then that's a FO failure and I say we run with him anyway. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think that’s merely a result of not wanting to get hit.  I’m not sure about the rest of his career one way or the other, but I can’t think of a time he’s braces for the blow and threw a strike for us.

Yea I dont think hes that dude at all. Hes more the take the sack protect the ball and his body, play another down dude. 

I prefer Favre every Sunday myself. 

43 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Talk to me after the next 3 games.  I doubt we'll see much improvement.  But hey, maybe Cooley and all the other analysts are wrong and you're right about Alex.  Maybe at 34 years old the light will finally go off and he will become an above average QB.  I'd love to be proven wrong.  But I doubt that will happen.

Are all of those other guys you say are agreeing with you saying we need to start Colt?

I dont think they are. That's what's you are saying that I agree with. Again I'm not a Smith fan at all. Keep up

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He can’t bench him right now, but folks aren’t insane for thinking Colt could perform at the same level that Alex has to this point.

And for a significant discount.  Alex is costing the team $18.4M this season.  Colt McCoy is making $3.6M.  So, for $14.8M the offense would look much better (LG and true #1 receiver).  And be deeper in the secondary with Fuller.  It's basic economics.  Alex Smith is ranked below Blake freakin Bortles at 24th in QBR. I'd be willing to bet that Colt could at least be somewhere betw 13 and 18 with his superior knowledge of the offense.

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

And for a significant discount.  Alex is costing the team $18.4M this season.  Colt McCoy is making $3.6M.  So, for $14.8M the offense would look much better (LG and true #1 receiver).  And be deeper in the secondary with Fuller.  It's basic economics.  Alex Smith is ranked below Blake freakin Bortles at 24th in QBR. 

Hold up we used this exact same logic with Cousins lol

At this rate we gonna be starting me for a cool mil. I promise I'll be the cheapest we can get lol

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

That's cool. I just think the beating up on Alex Smith has some truth to it, but a hell of a lot of sour grapes.

I recall the people from the Kirk thread well.  By the way, you got some Kirk critics, hammering Alex here.  It's a mixed group so to speak. 

I think the bias on the thread if anything (granted there isn't much of it) is the few holding out that Alex has been good or good enough.  We all have eyes, we aren't experts but we've watched plenty of football -- its not like people are being picky where to the more casual observer its like what gives, the dude has been good, how can anyone carp?  It's obvious as heck he's been mediocre. The eye test show it.  The numbers show it.   So people selling that the team would be worse off with the 9th rated QB in the league in QBR (QBR which factors context) versus the 24th rated QBR is IMO a bit wild.  If people are trying to sell improvement is coming, give the dude a break -- I get that perspective.  But that's a different point.

The kicker to me is this -- you got Cooley, Doug guys who are ultimate positive homers clearly not in love with his performances.  And enough rumbling that Jay isn't in love either.  You'd have to have a lot of people wrong to sell he's been good and anyone who doesn't see it is based on sour grapes. 

QBR ratings for those interested

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

13 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Ok, but what does all the system or personnel have to do with missing wide open receivers or running out of bounds at a crucial moment?  This guy is rattled and playing tentative.  Like a baseball pitcher he's aiming instead of just letting the ball rip.  The skinny post is an easy throw so I'm not going to get hyped up about that.  Show me some touch on the long balls and on play action.  Show me some great decision making.  Take a couple hits (at least one or two a game) to scramble for some first downs.  He was supposed to bring all the intangibles to the team and if can't do that then clearly Colt is the better option. 

I saw the missed TD to Sprinkle referenced.  The ball was out front.  Sprinkle is not fast... my GUESS would be, that play was practiced more with Reed / Davis running that route.  If it's Reed / Davis running that route... it's an easy TD.  Timing matters, more at the NFL level than anything else.  When you're practicing a play 100 times in practice where Mo Harris is running a route... then on Sunday it's Doctson, they're speeds are different.  Their breaks are different.  Their angles and instincts are different.  When you're going 100mph like these guys are, inches appear to be miles.  Without developing those relationships, you can't expect perfection.  

A lot of what I've seen here is the concern for what the future holds because Smith is not playing well enough.  I look at it more like we've done enough to be 4-2 and the offense hasn't even gained it's stride yet... which should be coming the more they're working together.  Just think now... Keeping Alex in, and he gets BETTER.... what happens to the team? 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Hold up we used this exact same logic with Cousins lol

At this rate we gonna be starting me for a cool mil. I promise I'll be the cheapest we can get lol

LOL you don't know how cheap Bruce can be ?

Look, in my mind after Kirk was lost I looked at the QB position for this year as a one year rental.  Who really thought the Redskins would be a contender? And really, they're not.  A-Aron Rodgers would have beat us if his receivers hadn't had a case of the dropsies.  Did you forget the Saints game?  I was just hoping for the team to show some progress and get more playing time.  This team is still another good draft away from being a legit contender.  And they need a franchise QB.  AGAIN!  But hey, can't fix it all in a year.  So, my philosophy was roll with Colt and then draft your guy next year and plug him into a deeper team that can compete.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kirk was behind Bortles in 2017 QBR and some of y’all wanted to make him the highest paid player in NFL history.

#basiceconomics

Compare Bortles with Fornette and without.  Then come talk to me :)

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

What does Fournette have to do with Bortles's QBR last season?

Seriously?  Take AP away from the Redskin's offense.  If not for him there's nothing to hang your hat on.  Same with the Jags.  Bortles is probably the most inaccurate QB in the NFL but with Fournette he has the time to make some very manageable 3rd downs.  Without, he has to stay in the pocket and read out progressions.  Not his game; nor is it Alex Smith's. 

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kirk was behind Bortles in 2017 QBR and some of y’all wanted to make him the highest paid player in NFL history.

#basiceconomics

Consistently been in the top 10 (15, 16, and this year).  Maybe it just had something to do with the most injured offensive line in the history of this team?  Alex Smith never sniffed the top 10 until he got Hunt/Hill.  

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Compare Bortles with Fornette and without.  Then come talk to me :)

Bortles has had a roller coaster career with his downs being really down.  This season being one of those down seasons thus far but guess who he is rated above, Alex so far.  Kirk if I recall was 6th in QBR the two previous seasons or something close to that before 2017 where he was middle of the pack.  Bortles last year beat Cam, Goff and others, too.  He's had a weird career -- Bortles

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yes, I do think Jay needs to eat some crow on his “smartest quarterback” stuff he talked about with Smith, like he’s just plug and play because he’s a 14 year vet.  You have to look at what worked and why, in Alex’s best season as a pro.  Then try to integrate that into the gameplans.  Granted that’s probably much easier said than done given the differences in offensive personnel.  

I agree... I wish he hadn't gone as hard in the paint as he had saying "this team is built to win now."  That said... they're winning.. and Smith is doing enough to keep it going.  He almost lost us the game yesterday but the defense and a little gift from the football gods (many people believe it was Tandler) we were able to hold on and survive.  He's not playing well enough to win us games, but in reality, the only game that it would have made a difference in was likely the Colts.  He needs time to work in this offense, with his teammates, in order to get clicking.  It was never going to happen in September, regardless of what him and Jay said.  Now we're late in October and it's not looking great, but it's not looking bad enough for me to feel like we need to put Colt McCoy in the game either.... He's 6 games in... 

Alex Smith has been an average QB so far.  Perhaps even slightly less than average.  Doesn't mean I don't think he won't get better in the offense the more games he plays in it, and/or if/when the front office goes out and actually gets some true playmakers at the WR position.

However, one thing I think is still be understated is the fact that he protects the ball well.  Not turning the ball over has been an asset for these close games. 

Alex Smith definitely needs to get better, he needs to get rid of the ball faster.  These are things that he should be able to improve on as he gets more comfortable within the offense.  It's not like he has had a career issue with holding onto the ball too long.  He is likely still in the learning process, not as comfortable with all the pieces yet.....(not to mention lacking some pieces).

Archived