Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

What’s funny about you guys and the Kirk stuff is I’m not even a big Cousins fan.  I thought he was toast as an NFL QB prior to 2015.  He’s corny, a little too extra with the religion for my tastes and he can’t grill a steak to save his life.

That said, he keeps getting better and better as a QB, year over year and still hasnt hit his ceiling.  He’s also clearly superior to what we have at the position today.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What’s funny about you guys and the Kirk stuff is I’m not even a big Cousins fan.  I thought he was toast as an NFL QB prior to 2015.  He’s corny, a little too extra with the religion for my tastes and he can’t grill a steak to save his life.

That said, he keeps getting better and better as a QB, year over year and still

hasnt hit his ceiling.  He’s also clearly superior to what we have at the position today.

Guess what? If you are lumping me together in that group you’re wrong about me. 

I wish Kirk was still here. We’d probably be 4–1 just because of the continuity at the position and at coach. 

It didn’t happen and this is what we were left with. 

I think we found the best replacement we could and its going to take time. I think we shouldbe trying to find his replacement as soon as possible. 

I think the way the whole NFL season is going. If we can find some groove stay healthy and punch a ticket. We have a chance.And I do  think there is a chance Alex and AP can get us there. They both want one for sure. 

The way people are reacting like there isn’t a shot in hell for any of this is the same mentality that AP said the team has taken on. Trying not lose. Trying not be embarrassed. Fans please have some faith enjoy the slight success. I get that this team makes you feel **** when you have faith. We need more take life by the balls and Go get it mentality from this team. And done with crazy rant

I love AP and was all about it before it even happened.  I do believe a heavy dose of AP and good defense should win this team more games than not.  I realize Smith probably won’t lose a team that does that games. I just find it very hard to believe that AP will remain healthy enough to do that and/or that we won’t have to actually pass the football to win legit games.  I just don’t see Alex as the guy to do that in Jays offense.  I think at best, we can hope to have a season maybe two where the team makes the playoffs with a swift first round exit.  I’m firm in my belief that a few years from now everyone’s gonna be like “did they really trade assets and pay Smith 74M guaranteed, LOL”.

Fair enough and I could see it going that way. 

I still have hope things will improve. How beautiful would it be to aee 4tds and 400 total yards fromAlex this Sunday?

Whatever I was reading that thinks there is a good chance of seeing more rpo’s and designed runs this week had a good point. Maybe that what opens up the offense.

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That said, he keeps getting better and better as a QB, year over year and still hasnt hit his ceiling.  He’s also clearly superior to what we have at the position today.

His numbers are basically on par with how they've been for the last SIX years. He's 30. He's got a much better surrounding cast. At some point this "hasn't hit his ceiling" argument has to stop being applied. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

His numbers are basically on par with how they've been for the last SIX years. He's 30. He's got a much better surrounding cast. At some point this "hasn't hit his ceiling" argument has to stop being applied. 

Watch the dude play.  He’s got every throw in the bag, something that couldn’t be said a few years ago.  More willing to bail with his legs.  Practically every QB has warts, and they normally come in the face of pressure.  He’s rated among the best at throwing under pressure.  Also, by his ceiling, I think most of us are referring to the fact that we’ve never seen him with a solid team around him.  

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Usually play action is about how well you fake it, the QB, the RB, the O line, the whole nine yards.    As to Alex.  He sort of embodies to me the team.  I really don't know what to think about it.  I've seen some good, some bad.  Not a lot of consistency.  I've seen enough to signs of optimism and also pessimism.  My only argument on that front is with those who are trying to convince its been good -- and granted they aren't that many of those people at the moment.   I got no quarrel with those who say the good is coming.  Sure, its possible.  Ditto the team at large.

Its also a question of how much do they respect the run and how willing are they to be beat by a bunch of 4 and 5 yard runs vs big plays over the top. 

Its easy to get hung up on numbers or Gruden quotes or missed plays, but I felt real good about Alex running this offense on Sunday. The first quarter and a half we were moving the ball and scoring after that (last two drives of the half) we had players making bad mistakes to stop drives. Shoot, in the first two drives he had deep balls to VD, one got a TD and the other set aTD up. Then there was a deep ball to Richardson, but the drive stalled because of a sack. There was a nice throw to Doctson that was called back because of hold, there was the intentional grounding call which I thought was bs because Bibbs was there, etc. 

He definitely needs to improve but it's not like he's not doing his part in helping us win. Heck look at the number of guys catching passes: Doctson, Robinson Harris, Quick, Bibbs, Davis, Reed and Perine. That may be checkdowns and missing open guys, but we were keeping the chains moving for the most part, and when you're playing with a lead that's just as important as scoring more points. Carolina only had 3 drives in the second half. That's mostky AP, but also AS. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its also a question of how much do they respect the run and how willing are they to be beat by a bunch of 4 and 5 yard runs vs big plays over the top. 

I've listened to the PFF guys explain why is it that some teams who aren't good at running the ball (see Redskins in recent years) are so good at play action.  Their thought is selling play action is the most important variable.  If a strong safety and or middle line backer think a run is coming they typically will move forward just on instinct.  but who knows.

Its easy to get hung up on numbers or Gruden quotes or missed plays, but I felt real good about Alex running this offense on Sunday. 

I am not hung up on public quotes.  But when you got multiple guys -- Finlay, Hoffman, Keim saying that from probing their sources there are people disappointed in that building as to his start and Jay is somewhat frustrated, too -- I am presuming they aren't making it up.  Though plenty of optimism too that it will get better.   Beyond that stuff, just watching Alex, I haven't been impressed either with his start.  So I disagree with your overall thought which seems to imply he's been decent?  If I am reading you right?  For me, he's been so so on the aggregate.  As for him moving forward, I am consistently open about how he plays.  The sample size IMO is too small.  I am cool with the give him time crowd.   

And I actually take some optimism from the fact that some people in the building are disappointed in his start.  Clearly, they think he is capable of playing better.  I like that.  I'd actually be concerned if they were satisfied where they were selling this is what they signed up for.

That's mostky AP, but also AS. 

I get the point about he doesn't make mistakes and their is an upside with his check down tendencies -- if you fling it around you are more likely to make an INT.  But can you imagine if Robert Kelley was the RB this year and not Peterson?  I think we'd be 2-3.   Peterson has been something we haven't had since Portis.

And look for anyone else jumping on any of these points, I mean my points exactly as I am saying them.  The context I am using is on point for me.  I don't consider myself among the negative ones here on Alex even though I am deemed that way by some of his more ardent fans.  There are some people here who really think he's mediocre and this is his peak.   I disagree with them.  And as for proving to be right, that's not working for me either -- at the moment I am looking to be wrong, I've been hardcore on Alex being a good QB.  Right now he hasn't been good.   I think the good is coming.

As for the post from another about how great the Alex report is to watch.  I agree.  Alex is killing it on the Alex report.  Fun watches -- cool guy.  Hopefully, he starts killing it on the field.  And while I am not in the camp of people selling how he's played thus far.  I am in the camp of lets see -- give him more time and he will play better. ?

Hoffman wrote an article here about his perceived reason for Smith's struggles.  He owns it himself there but on another radio segment he strongly hinted he's heard some of this from the building.

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-passing-issues-start-smith

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Wait a second now.

Aren't we talking about Alex Smith?

Yeah, that's a legit problem. I don't think any team really expects Alex to go deep much, since they have little reason to. Sucks because we brought in PR to basically do just that. He's had a couple shots thrown his way but it seems like we aren't really utilizing him for his strengths. We basically have 2 starting WRs who's specialties are the opposite of what our QB likes to do. PR is a deep threat and Doctson is a guy who will win contested balls. Smith doesn't go deep very often and he seems extremely averse to throwing contested balls most of the time. Maybe we should just trade them for more TEs.

I've had it with Alex, the situational stuff is what bugs me and we're lucky not making Dallas burn that last timeout didn't cost us the game.

Alex Smith is worse than Grossman, Beck, Matthews, all of them.

He's one of the worst QB's we've had in Washington in 20 years and this team has a legitimate chance at the playoffs, we can't waste it so its time to look at Colt, he will run this offense better than Alex.

Archived