Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is a specific stat that just focuses on the QB without the RB.  On that front, Alex and Kirk weren't hot at converting first downs on third down.  Alex a hair better.  The fact that you bring up that KC was on the aggregate good on third down if anything props up Kirk because it shows the power of KC's running game.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=Passing

I looked at that site as well, but I'm not sure how much I trust those stats.  Their RZ stats are different than what Pro Football Reference has, and I consider PFR the premier stats site out there.  So I'm not sure how much I trust Washington Post's other stats.

Regardless, according to that site, Smith has a 37.7% conversion rate passing on 3rd downs while Cousins has a 34.6% conversion rate passing on 3rd downs.  It looks like Smith was much better on 3rd and long and 3rd and short situations, while Cousins was better on 3rd and medium.  Again, not sure how much stock I put into these stats on this site, but I would love to see the interception and fumble numbers in these situations as well, but I can't find it.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I looked at that site as well, but I'm not sure how much I trust those stats.  Their RZ stats are different than what Pro Football Reference has, and I consider PFR the premier stats site out there.  So I'm not sure how much I trust their other stats.

Regardless, according to that site, Smith has a 37.7% conversion rate passing on 3rd downs while Cousins has a 34.6% conversion rate passing on 3rd downs.  It looks like Smith was much better on 3rd and long and 3rd and short situations, while Cousins was better on 3rd and medium.  Again, not sure how much stock I put into these stats on this site, but I would love to see the interception and fumble numbers in these situations as well, but I can't find it.

Got it. On my end not trying to nitpick.  Just saying being familiar with Alex's critics and some of them are really brutal especially Specter who covered him in KC -- Alex gets attacked for third down, red zone, being clutch, the ability to succeed without weapons, etc.   Some of those KC fans relished to critique him on this very board eagerly telling us all about Alex's faults.

A lot of it just reminded me of the Kirk criticism.    But yeah for me personally, I think just about every QB's skills are magnified with big weapons.  But to me that's not a weakness but just how the NFL works.  I think Kirk is going to be a monster with those weapons and that defense in Minny.  I don't think Alex is set up now to match Kirk's numbers because of the supporting cast here.  I hope that changes after this draft.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:49 PM, beachboy757 said:

How do you all think our prime-time schedule will be with Alex Smith as QB? With Kirk Cousins I think we were becoming a somewhat featured team. The team has been on SNF, MNF, Saturdays, 4PM's and holidays the last couple of season due to watchable QB play.

My guess is the team will still be featured as much as the last two seasons.  In my opinion our offense will still be good. I believe Alex Smith will use the 'game manager' criticism as motivation to play well again this season. 

I hope we have 0 prime time games. 

On 13/04/2018 at 1:41 PM, SWFLSkins said:

What Trent said in return....

When Williams does return to the field, he’ll be blocking for a new starting quarterback in Alex Smith, who Washington acquired in a trade with Kansas City.

“You get a guy in like that, who has a winning pedigree, who has the background he has, the leadership, the experience he has in this league, I think it’s nothing short of amazing,” Williams said. “We’re lucky and now that puts the pressure on us to be a better team, build a better team around him so that his learning curve into this offense is a little easier and we can continue to work as a well-oiled machine.

1 hour ago, dcdiscokid said:

Damn was just watching Redskins Nation, and Larry said Alex Smith graduated from college in 2 years... That's damn impressive. 

Was it a 2 year college or 4 year? How does a football player go to that many classes and still play division one football? 

25 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Was it a 2 year college or 4 year? How does a football player go to that many classes and still play division one football? 

Exactly, he got a degree in economics from university of Utah in 2 years then began working on his masters... Smith earned a bachelor's degree in economics in two years[13] with a 3.74 GPA.  I have no idea how he could have done that at a major university with all the responsibilities football brings. Lol I dont even understand how you could that without the responsibility of football and in a not easy field...

16 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

Exactly, he got a degree in economics from university of Utah in 2 years then began working on his masters... Smith earned a bachelor's degree in economics in two years[13] with a 3.74 GPA.  I have no idea how he could have done that at a major university with all the responsibilities football brings. Lol I dont even understand how you could that without the responsibility of football and in a not easy field...

It's possible he had some college credits from high school or maybe taking some classes prior to starting college? It's also very likely that he didn't "attend" those classes but was able to complete his assignments on his own time/on the road/etc. to accommodate to his athletic commitment. In that case, it might even be easier to take more credits per semester? 

23 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

Exactly, he got a degree in economics from university of Utah in 2 years then began working on his masters... Smith earned a bachelor's degree in economics in two years[13] with a 3.74 GPA.  I have no idea how he could have done that at a major university with all the responsibilities football brings.

Smith was able to earn an economics degree in two years at Utah because he earned 64 units of college credits through advanced placement classes at Helix High-School which were honored by San Diego State, and transferable when he enrolled at Utah.  

I see a lot of students doing it that way; you just have to be mature enough to plan out your Junior and Senior years of high school carefully, and max the value of the time you're still in high school.  (It's also a good way to save on the cost of a university degree!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

What Trent said in return....

When Williams does return to the field, he’ll be blocking for a new starting quarterback in Alex Smith, who Washington acquired in a trade with Kansas City.

“You get a guy in like that, who has a winning pedigree, who has the background he has, the leadership, the experience he has in this league, I think it’s nothing short of amazing,” Williams said. “We’re lucky and now that puts the pressure on us to be a better team, build a better team around him so that his learning curve into this offense is a little easier and we can continue to work as a well-oiled machine.

Just love the comraderie of this team.

Add in the fact that both of the top draft picks said they love this team because the team was like family.

Then there's the reaction when Fuller left. Not only was it heartbreaking to the teammates, mostly DJ Swag, but even Fuller sounded upset he had to leave. During the trade process, I remember him posting a tweet about a feeling of relief, when he was given the false report that he was not part of the trade. He clearly wanted to stay.

These Skins are tight. That's a big thing. Compare that to the in-fighting of the Giants last year. Not even a hint of division or cancer on the team. In fact, the complete opposite.

A team that is close-knit like that, is more likely to stay here, when their contract is up, perhaps even for less money than elsewhere.

Throw in the fact that we're building through the draft, and have less renewable contracts or high-priced FA's, it looks like a solid foundation for a winning franchise in the coming future

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere - but nice article about Alex and what kind of person we are getting. Nothing really new as I think we all feel good about Alex as a person and of course being a good guy does not translate to wins. But it doesn't; hurt and it's nice to see it in print. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/listen-ben-patrick-mahomes-says-alex-smith-always-helping-192241618.html

I feel better about the Alex Smith signing after getting Beetleguice in the 2nd round.

If we can get at least 1200 yards out of the rookie and solid play by Alex we should be a more potent offense even with the young and unproven WR's.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, goskins10 said:

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere - but nice article about Alex and what kind of person we are getting. Nothing really new as I think we all feel good about Alex as a person and of course being a good guy does not translate to wins. But it doesn't; hurt and it's nice to see it in print. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/listen-ben-patrick-mahomes-says-alex-smith-always-helping-192241618.html

Here’s something I don’t get: we had a QB throw for 4,000+ yds the last two seasons and our running game was subpar, to be kind. I always thought if one phase of your offense is good, it’ll help out the other. But apparently not. 

And, I keep hearing how Alex Smith needs a good running game to help his QB play and visa-versa. So my question is: what does Alex Smith do that Kirk Cousins couldn’t that will help our running game succeed?

Did KC telegraph our runs because of a bad poker face? Did KC have a different cadence or other ‘tell’ that tipped of the D?

12 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Here’s something I don’t get: we had a QB throw for 4,000+ yds the last two seasons and our running game was subpar, to be kind. I always thought if one phase of your offense is good, it’ll help out the other. But apparently not. 

And, I keep hearing how Alex Smith needs a good running game to help his QB play and visa-versa. So my question is: what does Alex Smith do that Kirk Cousins couldn’t that will help our running game succeed?

Did KC telegraph our runs because of a bad poker face? Did KC have a different cadence or other ‘tell’ that tipped of the D?

I think when people say Smith needs a running game they are looking at his history, and fair enough. My contention to this point is that the Jay Gruden offense gets the most out of its QBs. Look at Andy Dalton’s numbers under Jay compared to without.

I would challenge the notion that Kirk being this amazing 4,000 yard per year passer was all Kirk, but rather what any above average QB in Jay’s system would do. I don’t think Alex needs a strong running game to succeed on our team. But if we can get one, so much the better.

As for what Smith can do better to help the running game, I’d say he will keep more drives alive longer with his scrambling ability. This should tire out defenses and give the running game more time to get going.

21 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

Did not get a chance to respond and honestly not sure I can add more to what has already been stated. But here goes. 

To me, it's two different conversations. 

1. Alex Smith needs a good running game to succeed. -That argument comes from the fact that he has had a pretty decent running game around him. So it's probably a fair analysis except - and there is always an except - the type of offenses he has been in feature the run more then Jay's does. With the understanding that all QBs benefit from a good rushing attack, saying Alex "has" to have one is more speculation. No one has seen what he can do with an average or poor rushing game but a pass heavy offense that flat out gets guys open. Last Kirk threw for over 4000yds and the receiving corps was a combination of not playing well and injured or both. Some of that is obviously Kirk. But there were guys open also. It's not like Kirk was throwing dimes into super tight windows. He was going to the right guy and that's on him. But guys being open to start with - considering the talent level - is largely on the offensive scheme. That's on Jay. It will be interesting to see how this offense comes together. They clearly are respecting the run more. Taking Guice was a pretty big commitment. 

2. How can Alex help the run game. He is more mobile than Kirk and he creates more consistently on off schedule plays. Defenses can't just sit on the first routes and expect to shut it down. Kirk ran some, but honestly I wish he had run more. There were some crucial 1st downs to be had if he just took off. Now, that's easy for me to say sitting at home. And I appreciate he is trying to get something down field. But if there is one place I think Alex is ahead of Kirk is decision making. Even at 34 I believe he will make defenses pay if they disrespect the run game and drop 7 or 8 into coverage. Then he will exploit them long when they come up to stop them. 

To me the bigger question is how much is Jay willing to adjust his offense to Alex. Commit to the run more - that does not mean run every first down. But it does mean running sometimes when everyone knows it's going to be run. Have some confidence. Guice should help that. 

There is a third question in there. I do not think it was Kirk giving away the plays. I think it was a combination of personnel and play calling. I will say though, as I did above, that sometimes you have to run even if everyone knows you are running. You have to be able to pick up 1 yd pretty much whenever you need it. It's crazy how much they failed on this. And it's a combination of the line but also the RBs making poor choices and missing holes that are there. 

Last but not least - I know some do not want to acknowledge this - but when you have 31 different Oline combinations due to injuries, that is just not normal. Morgan Moses is the only player not to miss a game but he was on two bad ankles much of the last half of the season. If they can get through a season with just normal injuries, it will be interesting to see how they do. 

We better all hope that Alex Smith doesn't need a good running game to be productive because I don't think drafting a running back for the 3rd time in the last 4 drafts is going to turn the Skins weak running game anything better than what we have seen in my opinion.  The Skins haven't been able to run on 3rd and short or within the 10-yard line for years and I don't think the new guy from LSU is going to enable them to do that so Alex is going to have to carry the team like Cousin did the last 3 years, lets hope he can measure up.

10 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

We better all hope that Alex Smith doesn't need a good running game to be productive because I don't think drafting a running back for the 3rd time in the last 4 drafts is going to turn the Skins weak running game anything better than what we have seen in my opinion.  

If you can't see that Guice is on a different level than our previous backs, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  I expect our running game to improve leaps and bounds.  If it doesn't, I will personally drive up to Minny and buy you a cup of coffee.

Archived