Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

Cooley was going on in his broadcast all game about Alex's happy feet in the pocket and inaccuracy.  Not that I needed to hear it from him, it was obvious.  He was talking about the interception was so atrocious it was bench worthy, Harris wide open for an easy TD, Alex having plenty of time to get the ball to him but instead he throws a duck right to a defender.  I just took a look at it, here's Alex having the time and there is Harris well behind the defender.

I still think his two worst throws were the ones to Thompson and Peterson.  Talking about leaving your players out to dry to get slammed.  Galdi is joking about it now, saying the throw to Peterson was cruel.  Rewatching that I don't think Alex saw the defender on Peterson, Thompson though was clear as a bell.

Lets see how he and the team bounces back.  They tend to play well after losses. I am still at the same place about Alex.  He's good.  Not great.  Downgrade from Kirk.  I'd have to say bigger downgrade then I expected -- but that's thus far, sample size still small so I have my mind open on that front.   He's the type of dude where you need to have a running game working around him.  The he's just a winner stuff that some others say IMO is nonsense.  But I've explained that before, to me QBs aren't winners or losers but players who do their part to win or lose.  The supporting cast is key.  I think the Redskins hit lightening in a bottle with rare good luck when they signed Peterson.  He by a mile has been the team's offensive MVP.  But when he is shut down the team's offense is inept.  And I hold Alex partly responsible for Peterson getting banged up last night.   

alexsaints1.thumb.png.fc788bd820b6d007124c222d1b112cd0.png

alexsainst2.thumb.png.dc84e5cd965982bbe900d3c35167d210.png

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

What other QB has Alex Smith disease? The disease that prevents QBs from using their outside WRs.  Or, is it just him.

Or, it all our WRs fault.

Our outside receivers arenÂ’t very good but it wouldnÂ’t matter if they were.

Richardson has actually made a few plays despite Smith.  I mean we have Jordan Reed and he wasn’t targeted until the game is out of reach.  Alex is allergic to looking past the LOS.

14 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

What other QB has Alex Smith disease? The disease that prevents QBs from using their outside WRs.  Or, is it just him.

Or, it's all our WRs fault.

We had likely a worse set of starting WR's last year, and still managed to run a NFL looking offense that actually involved them.

You know where this is going....

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We had likely a worse set of starting WR's last year, and still managed to run a NFL looking offense that actually involved them.

You know where this is going....

Is Smith late on his reads?  Forced to guess, that is what I saw last night. If you don't have a powerful arm, anticipation and throwing early is a must. 

For today, I will ignore all the horrid throws where he missed wide open WRs. I think early pressure on him may have had him rattled. His security blanket, AP, got injured early. On a late throw....

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Is Smith late on his reads?  Forced to guess, that is what I saw last night. If you don't have a powerful arm, anticipation and throwing early is a must. 

For today, I will ignore all the horrid throws where he missed wide open WRs. I think early pressure on him may have had him rattled. His security blanket, AP, got injured early. On a late throw....

I think it's complex answer to that question. As to what I think it's a couple of things.

First, Alex is still learning the system, and not getting any real playing time in preseason hurt him. He should have gotten more, and that is on Jay.

Second, Alex is not a dynamic passer. I know, first in air yards, yadda yadda, in 2017, but that was NOT Alex Smith. Alex Smith, from his rookie season to 2016, was a guy that uses the middle of the field, to his TE and RB's and slot guys. He does not use WR's to stretch the field. He is a low risk QB. And, from what I have heard from guys that know Alex better than I do, he has always had happy feet and not so good pocket presence. On the flip side of that, he is athletic enough to be able to hurt teams with his legs.

Third, going back to know being comfortable. I'm not sure if the late reads, and bad ball placement is on this, or what. With the reads, I think it does contribute. If he's not 100% sure where every read is, it might be that he's taking longer to move off his first read. But I really don't have a educated answer to that. How inaccurate he was last night is likely a anomaly, I expect him to be better and I have no doubt he will be.

The things that concerned me most last night was that there was no urgency in the 2nd half. No no-huddle offense, no fire. Nothing. Down 3 scores and acting like the team was up 7.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

DHall, a guy who was all about the Smith deal back in February, dumbfounded by Alex’s first read typically being the checkdown.

I am still dumbfounded by people who weren't expecting this.  It's not like there wasn't 14 seasons of film on him.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I am still dumbfounded by people who weren't expecting this.  It's not like there wasn't 14 seasons of film on him.

I’ve been very transparent about my thoughts on Smith and how our fans have OD’d on the Kool-Aid.  But even I expected with a better overall team and weapons than last year, an emphasis on the run game, Alex Smith would be better than this.

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

But he is so experienced and cool under pressure. A leader that doesn't get rattled or melt down and throw mind-boggling pick sixes in crunch time. He doesn't do that. Remember? Only our old guy did that. Not Alex, not Big Ben, not Ryan, not Phillips. Just our old QB. Told you guys to stop watching ESPN highlights and thinking these other QBs are so much better than our guy.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been very transparent about my thoughts on Smith and how our fans have OD’d on the Kool-Aid.  But even I expected with a better overall team and weapons than last year, an emphasis on the run game, Alex Smith would be better than this.

That's the thing though.  Him being "better" is basically when our running game is cooking on all cylinders and our defense looks competent.  He's basically the same player in ugly losses and big wins.  He doesn't move the needle one way or the other.  He still stares down the tight end (unless his number is 86) and then checks down.  Yes, he'll make 3-5 15+ yard passing plays a game, but beyond that, he's John Beck-ing it to Roy Helu.

I didn't follow Smith's career so I'd only saw him play a handful of times before and had no opinion of him.  The team committed to him after now committing to Cousins.  If the team committed I was going to commit to supporting him and I didn't want my fellow Cousins supporters turning on Smith because they let Kirk leave, but wow, I expected Smith to be similar to Cousins.  Last night looked like one of Griffin's games in 2014, WTF?  Dan Snyder committed 71M for this and worse yet traded with Andy Reid to get him?  Only a total fan boycott to force an ownership change will change things.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

This. It seems a ton of people here thought that 17' was the only year Alex played QB.

That's all well and good, but in most of those other 14 years, he still found a way to be effective.  You can win a lot of games when he's on his game. Last night was different.   That wasnt typical Alex Smith.  

But we cant lose sight of it being a total team breakdown.  Bad defense, bad QB play, but also, no running game to speak of. 18 carries for 39 yards isnt gonna do it.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, I was getting John Beck flashbacks last night.  I see it wasnÂ’t just me.

I just watched Redskins Overtime which I recorded last night -- Finlay drew Beck analogies, saying that's one of the worst QB performances he's seen ever, and said its Beck equivalent.

Galdi is joking right now that the Kirk haters would have had a field day if it were Kirk last night playing like that -- but a lot of them he suspects are staying quiet -- his inference (he's not the only media guy who made this observation) that the Kirk haters have really embraced Alex because he's not Kirk.

Personally, i am sticking to my guns.  I try hard not to let the Kirk haters who really dig Alex for being everything that supposedly Kirk was not -- influence my opinion but I admit it takes some effort on my end because the vitriol is intense especially on twitter..  But I'd say of all of the stuff said in the off season the narrative that got me the most is about how Alex will take more risks, Doctson will blossom because Alex wont hesitate to throw those 50-50 balls, etc.  I said that point struck  me ridiculous then.  And it looks even more ridiculous now.

QBR I think is the best metric of QB play.  Alex right now ranked 18.  Sounds about right for his season.  So so.  Maybe sightly worse than so so. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr 

Having said that, I think he's a better QB than he's shown.  I agree that I'd have played him more in the preseason.  I think the dude needs a running game.  He's rarely been in his career a throw the ball all around the field and win type of guy -- in short he's overmatched IMO in shoot outs with guys like Brees.  And yeah i do think Kirk is a better passer and better equipped to go toe to toe with Brees in shoot outs as we saw last year.  But Alex as I pointed multiple times brings something to the run game -- RPO -- confusion in the backfield -- quick throws, etc.   We need Peterson to play -- hopefully he's all right.

My pessimism was at its height when Guice got hurt.  But Peterson coming out of nowhere surged my optimism back to a degree.  But if that dude isn't 100%, I don't think we have the horses to make the playoffs.   The season to me rests on Peterson for better or worst.  And no that's not a shot at Alex -- its what I feel abut him is that he brings the best out of a running game and vice versa.  And I think we will see a bounce back performance from Alex next week.  4 games is too short of a sample.  

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That's all well and good, but in most of those other 14 years, he still found a way to be effective.  You can win a lot of games when he's on his game. Last night was different.   That wasnt typical Alex Smith.  

But we cant lose sight of it being a total team breakdown.  Bad defense, bad QB play, but also, no running game to speak of. 18 carries for 39 yards isnt gonna do it.

Alex also had 2 things going for him most of the time when he was effective:

1. Dominant rushing attack

2. Dominant Defense

Lots of QB's can win this that.

Archived