Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drones: Who’s flying? (Commercial, amateur)

AsburySkinsFan

Man Shotguns Drone Searching for Lost Dog

Long Island man Gerard Chasteen shot a Mavik 2 Zoom drone out of the sky over his home in St. James with a shotgun on Saturday, local police tell he New York Post. The drone, being flown by Lynn Fodale and Teddy Henn, was on a mission to find a lost dog named Dezie when it was felled by Chasteen, who is now being charged with third-degree criminal mischief and prohibited use of a weapon. 

Chasteen openly admitted to shooting down the $2,000 drone when approached by its owners who traced the downed craft to its last registered GPS position, according to the Post, saying "Yeah [I shot it], you can’t fly over my house.”

Whether Chasteen is correct in that assertion will be up to a judge, but drone-downers in other states have managed come out of similar incidents with little in the way of repercussions. A Kentucky man who was arrested for shooting down a quadcopter over his property eventually had charges of first-degree criminal mischief and first-degree wanton endangerment dismissed by a judge in 2015. A man who shot a drone in Nashville in 2016 avoided charges altogether when the deputy who responded to the incident reportedly could not identify a law that had been broken. 

Click on the link for the full article

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If I had a ton of money to burn, I'd buy a bunch of drones for me and my friends and take turns trying to knock em out of the air with a shotgun.  

No, you need to rig them like this and then have dogfights:

On 8/21/2018 at 2:11 PM, China said:

FAA investigates near drone-helicopter collision off Hollywood

Click on the link for the full article and video

On 2/26/2019 at 4:07 PM, China said:

Man Shotguns Drone Searching for Lost Dog

China, I'm not getting article links with your posts.

Is it me ?

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

China, I'm not getting article links with your posts.

Is it me ?

Yes, it's you.  The link is the article title (blue) not the orange italics.  I just checked both of those and they were working.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:37 PM, China said:

No, you need to rig them like this and then have dogfights:

If this dumbass is doing this then I don't even want to think about what our military contractors have working right now.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:02 AM, DCSaints_fan said:

He must have rigged it with explosives (and the mannequins too)

Yeah, looks like tannerite. We use it when doing long range target shooting, 100+ yards so you know when you hit. If you're using glass you don't need it, but if you're iron sighting then it can be difficult to tell without some sort of reactive targets.

Fun as hell too...put a small amount in some pumpkins and baby food jars, makes for a satisfying trigger pull.

• 1 month later...

Terrorists are building drones. France is destroying them with eagles.

Under French military supervision, four golden eagle chicks hatched last year atop drones — born into a world of terror and machines they would be bred to destroy.

The eagles — named d'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos and Aramis — grew up with their nemeses. They chased drones through green grass that summer, pecking futilely at composite shells as seen in Sky News footage. They were rewarded with meat, which they ate off the backs of the drones.

When the eagles were ready — this month — d'Artagnan launched screeching from a military control tower across a field, Agence France-Presse reported.

The bird covered 200 meters in 20 seconds, slamming into a drone, then diving with the wreckage into the tall grass.

"The eagles are making good progress," said the French air force's commander of a program that adapts the ancient art of falconry to the threats of unmanned flight.

Archived