Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AsburySkinsFan

Drones: Who’s flying? (Commercial, amateur)

We’ve had drones as part of our business for the last 4 years. I know they have a wide variety of applications, I’m just curious about who’s flying and what you’re flying.

This thread is NOT a topic for ****ing about drones etc. It is user, and enthusiast, experiences, tech, discussion.

I’ll go first:

Until recently I was with a real estate team and we tandem flew the DJI Inspire. Super nice bird, camera and bird operate independently which makes for great panning video.

25652723217_f290bc4c6c_b.jpg

In the last two months I have gone independent and JUST ordered my own DJI Phantom 4 Advanced 4k. I’m solo so no need for tandem flying. This one has the 4k video/photo I want. Best part is that in 10 listings it pays for itself (no longer paying $150 minimum) for drone work)

28341940219_e4376a74c2_b.jpg

Now that it’s ordered, time to start working on my FAA Drone pilot’s license! Who has experience with that? Any advice to give?

My neighbors got me a small one for Christmas this year.  I played around with it once, but I haven't had time to really get into it and practice.

My brother works for Google's Project Wing, their drone R&D.  They've got some cool stuff going on, testing out delivering fast food by drone in Australia.  (Australia's drone regulations are friendlier to innovation than America's.)

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

My neighbors got me a small one for Christmas this year.  I played around with it once, but I haven't had time to really get into it and practice.

My brother works for Google's Project Wing, their drone R&D.  They've got some cool stuff going on, testing out delivering fast food by drone in Australia.  (Australia's drone regulations are friendlier to innovation than America's.)

Nice!

I’ve got a buddy in Utah flying the DJI Spark to fly INDOOR photo shoots for real estate!

I'm still a kid at heart.  I have a couple small helicopters and a couple medium sized.  They are fun and challenging to fly.  A couple years ago, my parents got me a Parrot A/R drone.  Camera quality is OK - but fun to fly - uses an iPad.  It is fun to break them out when the nephews are over or some of my daughter's friends are over.  Also have a couple R/C Truggies that the dog loves to chase around the yard and a couple R/C small boats that we take on vacation if we are staying near a lake or river.  Nothing fancy on any of them - but just some fun for all.  I'd love to try one of the fancy DJI drones and see how much different they are.  I know I don't have the reflexes any longer for those VR racing drones - sucks getting old.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Vet said:

I'm still a kid at heart.  I have a couple small helicopters and a couple medium sized.  They are fun and challenging to fly.  A couple years ago, my parents got me a Parrot A/R drone.  Camera quality is OK - but fun to fly - uses an iPad.  It is fun to break them out when the nephews are over or some of my daughter's friends are over.  Also have a couple R/C Truggies that the dog loves to chase around the yard and a couple R/C small boats that we take on vacation if we are staying near a lake or river.  Nothing fancy on any of them - but just some fun for all.  I'd love to try one of the fancy DJI drones and see how much different they are.  I know I don't have the reflexes any longer for those VR racing drones - sucks getting old.

Those VR racing drones are incredible, I still can’t figure out how they are able to maneuver them at those speeds. But then I only fly a photography platform so speed is not something I look for. The smoothness and precision of the DJI’s is a key factor, that and the stability. 

I ordered direct from DJI, I was looking on Amazon but the inconsistency of reviews just kept raising more questions. And it didn’t take long to see that the “bundles” are a joke. They add maybe another battery, and a backpack and mark the price up several hundred dollars while showing you all the stuff that comes with the drone standard. Plus, I get the DJI warranty when ordering direct and I don’t have to worry about someone stiffing me with a refurb.

My problem so far is that the smaller ones have such a short battery life, what the hell is in there, a hearing aid disc battery?

To even approach a good flight time you have to shell out some good coin, and as ASF just noted, you don't know what you're getting until the money is spent.

49 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

My problem so far is that the smaller ones have such a short battery life, what the hell is in there, a hearing aid disc battery?

To even approach a good flight time you have to shell out some good coin, and as ASF just noted, you don't know what you're getting until the money is spent.

Battery life is a problem, light weight vs. flying time. We were getting 25-30 min  flight time on the Inspire, that was with some serious movement. The Phantom 4 is smaller and lighter, battery is smaller too, but the 25 min flught time is very realistic. The cheaper drones though have issues, my brother has a $99 bird he gets 10 min tops.

I use a Zero Tech Dobby pocket drone. It connects with your iphone or whatever via bluetooth, and is controlled via the phones app. I mainly bring it with me on bicycle rides to get some cool scenery shots, its light and fits nicely in the back jersey pocket. It comes back to you when it gets on the edge of range (football field lengthish), this can be dicey when you are taking shots above Lake Michigan. (It almost gone in the drink a few times)

I am really digging the drone you posted ASF.

6 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

IKR?

C'mon, gimme a drone w/ solar cells all over it that will fly all afternoon

I recently thought about buying a drone just for something silly to have. ( Mavic Air  ~$800)

The flight times suck and to spend that kind of money for something like that, that I will barely use...I can't justify it. 

Now if it flew for about an hour...for the same price...I'd probably buy it. 

I might try a helicopter RC instead. 

33 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I use a Zero Tech Dobby pocket drone. It connects with your iphone or whatever via bluetooth, and is controlled via the phones app. I mainly bring it with me on bicycle rides to get some cool scenery shots, its light and fits nicely in the back jersey pocket. It comes back to you when it gets on the edge of range (football field lengthish), this can be dicey when you are taking shots above Lake Michigan. (It almost gone in the drink a few times)

I am really digging the drone you posted ASF.

Those pocket drones are cool! Especially with the follow and gesture control features. I still don’t have the nerve to fly one inside, but my Utah friend flies them from altitude right in the front door continually shooting video.

The Inspire kicks serious arse! The landing chasis raises to clear the camera gimble flr 360 degree turns. Two man operation is pretty slick with it. But I can’t drop $4000 on a bird when I’m solo flying.

The Phantom platform was lagging behinf with camera for awhile but with the gen 3 they added the 4k video on the upscale model. At that point the selling feature for the Inspire is tandem operation, speed, and a wider variety of option optics. Oh and sex appeal. Because that bird is just filthy looking!

I started looking into buying a decent drone but found out I live in the DCA no drone zone.  SO I can only get the short range featherweight ones that get blow around by wind.  SO I am drone less.

59 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I recently thought about buying a drone just for something silly to have. ( Mavic Air  ~$800)

The flight times suck and to spend that kind of money for something like that, that I will barely use...I can't justify it. 

Now if it flew for about an hour...for the same price...I'd probably buy it. 

I might try a helicopter RC instead. 

Yeah as a toy they don’t make a lot of sense, especially once you get over the $199 mark.

Here’s the bird my brother flies, got it Black Friday for $99. His doesn’t have the training wheels on it.

40103845752_f2b447dc9f_b.jpg

I keep checking Amazon for a good price on a Predator....... I gotcher drone right heyah!

screen-shot-2014-09-20-at-7-02-49-pm.png

Just now, LD0506 said:

I keep checking Amazon for a good price on a Predator....... I gotcher drone right heyah!

Let me know when you get it, I have some peop....erm targets you could practice on.

7 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I started looking into buying a decent drone but found out I live in the DCA no drone zone.  SO I can only get the short range featherweight ones that get blow around by wind.  SO I am drone less.

I think we both look at this in the same way though...

Would I use it enough to even bother with all the time and investment needed to own it ? Time including learning how to fly the daggone thing. 

I owned several RC cars back when we were kids. They paid for themselves with entertainment. At 800 bucks the return value isn't there for my usage. 

I'd be pissed if I took this thing on a hike, vacation, tailgate, concert, etc... and I got 20 minutes worth of use. Not to mention actually taking away from those events. 

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Let me know when you get it, I have some peop....erm targets you could practice on.

Be prepared to wait a while, I have a helluva list already............

My DJI Phantom 4 Advanced arrived last week, but the pouring rain kept me grounded. I finally got it out yesterday for the first time.

This video is if this moerning’s sunrise.

BTW, if you’re going to get one for photos and video...the 4K is AHHHMAZING!!!

5 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

i want those toys (as toys).... but i am too much of a cheap bastage  

That’s what I love about being self employed, let the company buy the tools.

Woke up to a coating of snow on the ground this morning so I decided to go up and take a look around. I'd have flown more, but at 150 feet I started getting high wind warnings so I figured brevity would be fine. It did take some doing getting the bird back on my cardboard landing pad since the wind was blowing me around!

'Personal drone' sparks 335-acre wildfire north of Flagstaff

A "personal drone" burst into flames Tuesday afternoon, sparking a wildfire that quickly grew to more than 300 acres in northern Arizona, officials said.

The Kendrick Fire, southeast of Kendrick Park and northwest of Flagstaff, started about 12:35 p.m. and quickly blackened about 335 acres of grass before crews stopped its spread, Coconino National Forest spokesman George Jozens said.

Click on the link for the full article

FAA investigates near drone-helicopter collision off Hollywood

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. - The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a YouTube video that shows a helicopter almost colliding with a drone off the coast of Hollywood.

In the video posted Thursday, the drone is facing west towards the beach before its camera turns south with the helicopter seen in the distance. The helicopter remains on a direct course with the drone, missing it by a few feet as it flies north.

An FAA spokesperson told Local 10 the agency was looking into the video after it was informed of its existence Friday.

FAA rules prohibit drones from flying near other aircraft and to be aware of FAA Airspace Restrictions.

Click on the link for the full article and video