Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TK

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

25 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Huh?

Have the Vikings been world beaters? Im talking about the skins being competitive which they have been for the most part.

7 minutes ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

Have the Vikings been world beaters? Im talking about the skins being competitive which they have been for the most part.

competitive.....off the field.......

8 minutes ago, onedrop said:

competitive.....off the field.......

Dude what are you talking about the skins have been winning off the field just not competitive off the field...

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

The Eagles have had better runs in the past 25 years but they've also had their share of low points just like the Skins have had. I get that Skins fans are not optimistic right now but it doesn't mean it cant turn around in a hurry. Look how fast we turned around with the simple addition of RGlll in 2012. All it takes is the right coach with the right draft picks and you can get good in a hurry. Happened in Dallas last year (2016) and they're as dysfunctional as we are. 

The Eagles have done a better job of getting good head coaches in the past 20 years as a whole than the Skins have and that's been the difference. I'd move on from JG quickly if this season doesn't start out well and would already be looking at my options if I were Skins management. I'd also look at GM options if we don't get this turned around. New GM and new coach could bring high hopes just like it did in L.A. for the Rams this past season. 

Well, I was with you in spirit for the first couple of sentences and then you cited the acquisition of RGIII as a simple addition that turned things around.  Turned things around?  Really?  You haven't figured out yet that this was the dumbest move in the history of the franchise?  Three firsts and a second round pick for a guy who can't execute a pro offense well enough to get a roster spot at the league minimum?  And if you care about the guy at all you don't want to see him in an NFL uniform ever again because you know he'll not only be hapless he will probably get seriously hurt.  

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Got it. Exactly. Thats exactly it. I hope im not guilty of it and if I am i will take that criticism. 

Someone already tried to pull this card a week or so ago.  Confirmation bias and Motivated reasoning to be exact. 

The issue with that is those of us that are very pessimistic and skeptical of everything Bruce and Dan touch is actually based on data.  Data that supports the idea that these guys will never build a legitimate winner doing things the way they do them.  As I've said time and time again, this would all be different if Bruce Allen actually had a history of being an above average or better GM and personnel guy.  If the data supported that this guy actually knows what he's doing, it would make sense to give him the benefit of the doubt in how he's handled things.  But there is nothing out there to support that at all.

As an example, if Bruce got fired this offseason and Dan brought in a new, respected personnel guy to replace him and that guy chose to let Kirk walk - the reaction would not be as negative as it is. 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I heard from a Vikings beat reporter yesterday on Sirius NFL radio that Vikings fans are split on paying KC over keeping Keenum and that many feel they could've made a Super Bowl with Keenum without breaking the bank once they got Dalvin Cook back. Kirk better be on his toes because Bradford got destroyed in Minnesota to the point where it was painful to watch. Keenum showed a real good ability to move around and not take big hits til the Eagles got to him. I was impressed with him when he beat us this past season at Fed Ex.

Exactly, Kirk isn't going to have the a top three LT protecting is blind side in Minnesota. 

Plus we all saw how the offense diminished without the likes of Chris Thompson coming out of the backfield. 

Again, no ill will towards Kirk. Glad he got his money. 

I've moved on

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

1504128544_59a72e20707be.jpg

Counting down...

I knew this guy in college.  He looked like Mac Davis when he was young

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Someone already tried to pull this card a week or so ago.  Confirmation bias and Motivated reasoning to be exact. 

The issue with that is those of us that are very pessimistic and skeptical of everything Bruce and Dan touch is actually based on data.  Data that supports the idea that these guys will never build a legitimate winner doing things the way they do them.  As I've said time and time again, this would all be different if Bruce Allen actually had a history of being an above average or better GM and personnel guy.  If the data supported that this guy actually knows what he's doing, it would make sense to give him the benefit of the doubt in how he's handled things.  But there is nothing out there to support that at all.

As an example, if Bruce got fired this offseason and Dan brought in a new, respected personnel guy to replace him and that guy chose to let Kirk walk - the reaction would not be as negative as it is. 

And that is understandable. What I dont understand is your inability or unwillingness to place blame to the other party involved in this mess when it is clear he deserves some of it. But again, I can see you are unwilling or unable to accept this so not much else to debate. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

And that is understandable. What I dont understand is your inability or unwillingness to place blame to the other party involved in this mess when it is clear he deserves some of it. But again, I can see you are unwilling or unable to accept this so not much else to debate. 

I don't really look at it is blame.  I look at it like, damn - Bruce must have really been a douche for this situation to exist.  I look at it like the offer they made last May was too little and too late.  I look at it like Bruce's press release was the nail in the coffin of Cousins continuing his career here.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't really look at it is blame.  I look at it like, damn - Bruce must have really been a douche for this situation to exist.  I look at it like the offer they made last May was too little and too late.  I look at it like Bruce's press release was the nail in the coffin of Cousins continuing his career here.

Yea thats whats im talking about. The only thing that could have possibly gone wrong in your mind is Bruce ****ed it up. No other possibility. 

Vikings don’t just have a brand new stadium...they have a brand new beautiful state of the art training facility that opens this Spring.  Cousins is going to think he died and went to heaven.  Go google the training facility.  Best one in the entire league by miles....

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea thats whats im talking about. The only thing that could have possibly gone wrong in your mind is Bruce ****ed it up. No other possibility. 

I didn't just poop that idea out.  It's built off of what I've read, heard and seen over the years.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I didn't just poop that idea out.  It's built off of what I've read, heard and seen over the years.

That's all cool too. Im not saying you made it up. Im saying you are either ignoring other facts or are refusing to let them effect your theory because of multiple reasons. 

And thats fine. Now that that is obvious im not really trying to convince you lol

4 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Vikings don’t just have a brand new stadium...they have a brand new beautiful state of the art training facility that opens this Spring.  Cousins is going to think he died and went to heaven.  Go google the training facility.  Best one in the entire league by miles....

Yea I think that will be a huge benefit to him. The fact that we have the money we do and refuse to do something like that is beyond me. Good example of how the owner just doesn't get it. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

That's all cool too. Im not saying you made it up. Im saying you are either ignoring other facts or are refusing to let them effect your theory because of multiple reasons. 

And thats fine. Now that that is obvious im not really trying to convince you lol

I'm not ignoring any other facts.  In fact (pun intended), there aren't that many facts in this whole thing.  There is what we've heard from sources and those close to Redskins Park that makes up the most of this.  But the actual facts don't look good for Bruce either.

16 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea I think that will be a huge benefit to him. The fact that we have the money we do and refuse to do something like that is beyond me. Good example of how the owner just doesn't get it. 

For some reason Snyder is cheap.  Redskins Park is a dump compared to other NFL training facilities.  It was built by Jack Kent Cooke and they never had an indoor field until Shanahan forced it.  Players had to practice in hotel conference rooms when the weather was bad before Shanahan got the bubble.  And even then the bubble is the cheapest way to go when almost all other facilities have permanent steel structures.  I think Snyder is asset rich but cash poor...meaning he is a billionaire on paper because of the value of the Redskins team plus the stadium and training facility real estate but maybe he doesn’t have the cash to put $90 million in escrow required for a contract like Cousins’....

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yeah it’s not the BEST, but didn’t we upgrade the locker room at Redskins Park, before the start of the 2015 season? Looks pretty cool in my opinion :) before the upgrades they’ve made lately, the whole building looked AWFUL. 

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I look at it as Kirk runs his life, Bruce runs my team. If Kirk wanted to leave, he owes it to none of us to do differently, but it's Bruce's job to do what's best for the team.

And I'm still waiting on the "Kirk is a jerk" scenario that makes last offseason's not offering him a realistic contract and simultaneously not soliciting trade offers on him anything but an unforgivable plan for a GM.

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not ignoring any other facts.  In fact (pun intended), there aren't that many facts in this whole thing.  There is what we've heard from sources and those close to Redskins Park that makes up the most of this.  But the actual facts don't look good for Bruce either.

Ok man lol. Like I said you can have it; I dont know what else to say to you. I understand where you are coming from and you understand where im coming from. We just dont agree on a set of facts so we aint gonna get anywhere. And its all moot anyway. As long as you aint giving up being a fan and I get to debate you about the skins again this season im totally cool leaving it how it is. 

If you are leaving the skins though, you are dead to me. 

Final thoughts on Kirk before this thread locks:

Grateful for his contributions. He's the best QB we've had in a while, and had some pretty damn fun games. He made us competitive, even if he couldn't get us over the hump. He was a very hard working guy and had zero character issues. A team player.

That being said, he basically refused to negotiate with the team that drafted him. He was dead set on hitting free agency, and was never going to sign a deal here once he hit the open market. He wanted to go to a contender, and get max dollars. He obviously was not committed to this team at all. Thus, I wish him luck, but will not be actively rooting for him. He's now just a player on a different NFL team.

See ya, Kurt.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's basically a tie. I would think that Cousins made a slightly bigger commitment since he chose to go to Minnesota. Smith signed what is essentially his last big contract here, which should be the goal of every player- one more big contract.

I really don't understand this nostalgia for players "wanting to be here." None of these guys really want to be anywhere. Like anything else, staying place is easier than leaving, because you build a life wherever you are. But no one drafted by a team has a choice in where they play. After that, it's a combination of money, winning, comfort, and connection to teammates that determines whether you "want to be here."

Stop being 8 years old and wanting these guys to be your personal heroes.

Of course when you're drafted you have no choice. I just don't want to hear players talking about " building for the future ", but then right out the gate consistently asking for three year contracts. Part of the reason some top notch QB's are still with their teams is because they made sacrifices for the team. 

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

I want Smith and Cousins to both do well. But neither of them nor any NFL player will ever be my " hero "

And considering some people's sentiments for Cousins here, your last statement is full of projection and ridiculously hypocritical.

In a comical sort of way.

Heads up, any new Kirk Cousins’ related topics will go in the Around the NFL forum from here on out. 

Do NOT create a new Kirk topic in The Stadium.

Bringing up Kirk in various topics here, especially ones surrounding the QB position or FO, will be judged on a case by case basis regarding relevancy, but it will be expected. Just avoid the bait-worthy, trolling crap we don’t want here. 

The “Appreciation thread” is just that, only to say goodbye in a cordial manner. 

Thank you for your cooperation and screw you all. :)