Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I get that people are dissatisfied, but there is no ****ing way the GoT finale was worse than Dexter or even Lost.

Take out Dexters hurricane and flannel shirt...Jon ended the same way as Dexter. On a boat, then the woods.

Edited by Yohan

10 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I get that people are dissatisfied, but there is no ****ing way the GoT finale was worse than Dexter or even Lost.

Cannot speak for Dexter but it’s close

to Lost for me. Both started out great. There are a lot of cool plot lines and themes you cannot wait to come together then they both just ignore them. 

Im amazed lost was that high. I’d rate them both a 4 in the context of the entire series. 

23 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah that one brings me to tears, just immensely powerful in that moment. I was going to include it but didn't want NERM to see it prior to watching the first season. That one hits like a ton of bricks.

Feel free to discuss anything you like about it.  I probably will not check Mad Men out in the next couple months.  I have quite a few other shows that I will catch up on over the Summer, before I add a long series.  I'm not worried about spoilers from series that wrapped up a long time ago.  Reading an article about how disappointed fans were about the Sopranos final episode was one of the things that prompted me to watch the show last year.  I still loved it.

• Like 2

There are entire Reddit communities (And let's not even get into the 4chan world) filled with people whose one goal in life is to **** up a show or movie's IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes rating. There was a ****ing movement to ruin the Ghostbusters reboot and to call Leslie Jones the N-word on Twitter.

Getting caught up in this stuff is beyond silly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:21 AM, kfrankie said:

I think that what we saw here was an effort by the creators to keep some significant loose ends untied.  Not just "gee they'll need to go on with their lives and who knows what will really happen."  Wrapping things up in a truly satisfying, more final manner would put a lot a people out of work. 

Think about how much money this show has made.  Does anyone here really believe that there will be no sequels?  I'm not talking about spinoffs. I'm talking about Star Wars type "we're going to keep telling this tale until we can no longer make money off of it" type direct continuations that will play to the lowest common denominator (if not by Benioff & Weiss, then by whoever ends up purchasing the licensing rights from the fat man's estate in 15 years.).  Think about the Terminator movie series.  Should have stopped after the mediocrity of T3.  And T4.  And T5.  Each were successful enough to make money, so we're looking at T6 now at some point this year.  And Linda Hamilton (i.e. Masie Williams in 25 years) is coming back, so it'll be really good!!  And maybe we'll get some better CGI on Arnold this time.

Season 8 would have made a lot more money if they had taken the time, and number of episodes, to wrap it up properly.  They condensed 2 full seasons into 6 episodes.  I think the writers got too busy doing Star Wars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:21 PM, Nerm said:

The citizens of King's landing were not collateral damage in a battle.  They were the victims of probably the worst atrocity ever committed in their world (I'm guessing, as I don't know the history of Westeros).  Once the surrender happened, Danny decided to commit mass murder on a scale that was horrific.  She became far more evil than Cersei at that point.  She had to be stopped.  Jon did the right thing.

Nah, her ancestor did the same exact thing to Harrenhal when he first came to Westeros. He used his burning of Harrenhal and everyone inside as an example to the other Kings who had yet to surrender. The Stark King chose to bend the knee than subject his people to the same fate. Maybe Dany thought her doing the same to Kings Landing would bring the same result, but I doubt it....she was just angry. Her words in the finale are just her coming to terms with what she did and justifying it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm not convinced Jon knows he did the right thing. She was his queen. He bent the knee. I think a huuuuuuuuuge part of the Starke ethos is that you keep a vow - even in the face of all logic. Ned thought Jamie was a scoundrel in part because he was a Kingslayer - even though Ned was in rebellion against the king and played a role in killing the heir.

Ned didn't know the reason Jaime killed the king.   He assumed it was Jaime picking the winning side, instead of preventing King's Landing from being burned down.   

Ned kept Jon's heritage from Robert.  Its like what Jaime alluded to that bathtub scene with Brienne about conflicting vows.   Protect the realm or obey the king/queen?  You can't do both. 

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This is pretty damn funny and regardless of you liking/disliking the finale, you really can't argue with any of it because it's him just repeating exactly what happened.

That was ****ing hilarious. 

LOST now wouldn't be NEARLY as fun to watch as it was back when it aired.  Half the fun was discussing and dissecting the mysteries on the internet between each episode.  That show was awesome watching it as it aired instead of binge watching it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOST now wouldn't be NEARLY as fun to watch as it was back when it aired.  Half the fun was discussing and dissecting the mysteries on the internet between each episode.  That show was awesome watching it as it aired instead of binge watching it.

I think that's a great point that I never thought of. I recently tried to get my girlfriend to binge it and it's just not the same. The weekly debate about what the smoke monster was or who the Dharma folks were was so much fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Season 8 would have made a lot more money if they had taken the time, and number of episodes, to wrap it up properly.  They condensed 2 full seasons into 6 episodes.  I think the writers got too busy doing Star Wars. 

Mo' money.  And now fans are left unsatisfied and begging for mo' of it.  No closure = mo' sequels.

21 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Mo' money.  And now fans are left unsatisfied and begging for mo' of it.  No closure = mo' sequels.

I guess I'm in the opposite camp.  I would have been all-in on the sequels if the producers showed they were capable of bringing a series that I had invested a lot of time in to an appropriate and satisfying conclusion.  They weren't able to do that, so I'm definitely not begging for more. 

Same with the books.  I have no trouble reading several thousand pages worth of books if they are interesting and worth that time investment.  The reason I haven't bothered to read them is because GRRM hasn't finished them and it doesn't look like he's going to be able to. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, purbeast said:

This is pretty damn funny and regardless of you liking/disliking the finale, you really can't argue with any of it because it's him just repeating exactly what happened.

Lol, only thing missing from this is,"...and the closing shot is John riding down the wall and heading north with the wildlings..."

"Wasn't the wall mostly destroyed by the Night King?"

"oh, um.... cr@p."

Edited by KevinthePRF

3 hours ago, KevinthePRF said:

Lol, only thing missing from this is,"...and the closing shot is John riding down the wall and heading north with the wildlings..."

"Wasn't the wall mostly destroyed by the Night King?"

"****."

Only a small part of the wall at East Watch was destroyed so they could pass thru. The rest of the wall was untouched and Castle Black where Jon leaves is probably a hundred miles from East Watch 

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Oh yeah Lost. Never seen that either, maybe I'll give it a try. Man there are so many shows I haven't seen. I started The Sopranos a few months ago but lost interest. Gave up on The Walking Dead.

Sopranos hasnt aged well. Lost is good, if you aren't a whiny **** that complains why Hurley is still fat, 4 seasons into the show (pretty sure that became an episode).

And yeah, its probably better if you dont binge this one. I did, and I remember like half of what actually went on. I think you retain more info when you have a week to dwell on each ep. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister