Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

Just now, Bacon said:

Mixed reviews for this episode, as has been the case for much of the season. 

Metacritic: 25 positive, 18 mixed, 31 negative 

Rotten Tomatoes: 57%

Imdb: 4.5/10 LMAO

Doesn't seem mixed. Mostly terrible, as it should be.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Doesn't seem mixed. Mostly terrible, as it should be.

The Imdb score absolutely is terrible. 

I didn't think the episode was any worse than the rest of the season, but its placement made it a profound disappointment. I totally get the hate bandwagon.

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If Jon's story was about hard choices and being a true hero, which I think it was, his choices ultimately lose some of their meaning when he doesn't have the same level of agency in making them that he should.

His story is the true hero, he continually made the hard choice and sacrifices for the greater good. He lost the two women that he loved, his claim as king, he literally died once, he lost all of his family, and now lives a life of poverty and exile all to save lives and make a better world. The fact he had to be talked into killing Dany weakens that a bit imo. I guess it can go either way on being sentenced to the wall or choosing to go. That his reward for all of this is being sentenced to the wall is poetic too, I think I'd just prefer him making one last sacrifice and making that decision on his own. 

From the throne room scene, almost seems like Jon would have been willing to forgive Dany if she had expressed remorse and he believe she wouldn't do something like that again.   He was giving her one last chance. 

I agree that Jon actively abandoning the realm he had protected from oblivion would have been a better angle than him being forced from it.  Although that may have been a bit too much of a Tolkienesque ending.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Man, some of this is comic gold.  I'm dying over the fact that that entire bar was celebrating Jon petting Ghost like their team won the Super Bowl.

Also, the Brienne meme just above.  Um...is that Doodle upper left a guy shoving a slice of pizza up a cartoon woman's ass?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Man, some of this is comic gold.  I'm dying over the fact that that entire bar was celebrating Jon petting Ghost like their team won the Super Bowl.

I was high af when I watched the episode but still managed to get up off my ass and clap when that happened. Highlight of the best season evah! 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Not going to lie, I thought it was real when I first saw it. That was the reaction I had watching it. Aegon was briefly redeemed.

5 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Not going to lie, I thought it was real when I first saw it. That was the reaction I had watching it. Aegon was briefly redeemed.

I cheered, lol.  I was worried he wasn't going to be there.

8 hours ago, visionary said:

Maybe...or maybe the 'Night's Watch', was more of a wink from Bran.  I think it's probably left up to interpretation on purpose though.

A couple other interpretations:

Edited by visionary

I'm ok with the ending overall.  I like that Jon didn't take the throne, and did not get killed.  The punishment for him is great "Don't send me to the briar patch... I mean wall".  I also think he has enough connections in high places that he could get a pardon once the unsullied are gone.

The only thing that would have been better for Jon would have been if Tormund had made a comment like "Have I ever introduced you to Ygritte's twin sister?"  right as the screen fades to black at the end of the episode.

• Thanks 1

Unpopular opinion, Jon Snow ****ed up. 

Yes Dani burned a city, allied states battling the Nazi's did that and worse.  Many times over.  Would anyone argue that firebombing cities made all the bad in that war even?  Of course not.  Dani the ruler was much better, and more likely to listen to the needs of the commoner than a hundred of these noble ****s.  Think about their reaction to giving the people a vote.  Sure they laughed and we might have expected that, but consider what they said.  They compared them to dogs and horses.  That's how these people see their peasants.  As livestock.  A resource to be used.  By killing Dani, Jon ensured that the abuse and degradation continued without end.  And wars, as he left behind a fractured kingdom filled with the same infighting that had lead to the wars in the first place.  The assassination probably doomed the former slave cities as well. 

Ending the wars, and dragging the noble classes down from their perches was worth a burnt city.  It was worth a dozen of them.  Jon couldn't see past the immediate horrors and he was most definitely manipulated by Sansa and the others.  They refused to yield after The Dragon Queen saved their asses.  They spread talk of Jon's lineage.  They intentionally sought to pressure her and find a way to remove her.  The city wasn't a message for Cersei, it was a message for Sansa and the rest like her.  Those callous rulers that would continue to cling to power they had not earned and used poorly.  In the end the ruling families pressured Jon to act.  The Starks and the Lannisters agreed that this was too much, but only when the Starks realized they'd be pushed out of power and the Lannister imp saw his family members dead.  When it became personal to them the revolution was too great.  They said she would go to far, while they themselves were willing to go to war again to cling to power. 

And so we arrived at the final scenes filled with nobles sitting, fat and happy, as the world around them struggled to survive the day.  Grey Worm is distraught that the breaker of chains is dead and before him are those more likely to slap chains on than remove any.  These nobles agree that they would pick future kings and imagined this novel idea and revolutionary act.  They argue about brothels and their fancy titles in one place while Sansa, that never gave a damn about a peasant, sits smugly on a throne of her own in another.  That's what mattered to them.  They never cared about liberating anyone, it was always a power game to them.  

And so I say again, Jon Snow ****ed up.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Pinning most of the blame for this season's mediocrity on Martin's inability to complete his damn books (including testing out a possible ending by telling it to D&D so that he could disavow later if it sucked).

Pinning blame for a ending the producers didn't wait for or demand seems a bit harsh.

It was a good story overall.....and I'm not sure I will live long enough for Martin to provide a ending.

20 minutes ago, Destino said:

And so I say again, Jon Snow ****ed up.   

Disagree. He’s bound by duty, he didn’t really have a choice based on his belief system. And then she went on about “liberating the rest of the world including winterfell which wasn’t even under tyranny.

The nobles May not care about the peasants but they aren’t going to outright burn them hundreds of thousands at a time which was Jons concerns and why he acted 

14 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Pinning most of the blame for this season's mediocrity on Martin's inability to complete his damn books (including testing out a possible ending by telling it to D&D so that he could disavow later if it sucked).

It’s not Martin’s fault. They had everything they needed to create a good story with a solid ending. they didn’t have dialogue from the books, that’s about it. these guys are supposed to be acclaimed show runners and writers, they should

be able to handle quality dialogue that’s in character for everyone. If they had questions about character motivations or how characters got to the bullet points Martin outlined for them, they could have reached out for more details.  

Basically all of the show’s problems are related to not having enough time which is directly D&D’s decision. So they are entirely to blame for the shortened seasons which led to the lazy half asses writing or the general rushed feeling and storylines and character arcs that just weren’t fleshed out like they should have been

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Disagree. He’s bound by duty, he didn’t really have a choice based on his belief system. And then she went on about “liberating the rest of the world including winterfell which wasn’t even under tyranny.

The nobles May not care about the peasants but they aren’t going to outright burn them hundreds of thousands at a time which was Jons concerns and why he acted 

Winterfell wasn't?  Did the peasants choose Sansa?  No.  Why would they?  Sansa never cared for them. 

The nobles wouldn't burn them outright in the course of a war, they claim.  Easy to claim you'd never do anything of the sort, when it's never an option.  They had no dragons.  What we do know is that they'd starve them and send them to war over petty squabbles between the noble families without losing much sleep.  Remember what that war looked like.  Remember the Lannister forces burning villages and slaughtering peasants.  Not Cersei either, but Tywin a respected Lord. 

I'm fairly sure none of these nobles liberate a slave city.  War is ugly, but Dani's goal was to change the world for the better.  The Starks and the other nobles sought only to preserve a status quo that was abject misery for everyone outside of the ruling class. 

• Like 1

The dragons are nuclear weapons. Dany basically dropped a nuke on a million people for no real reason. You can’t justify it and it far outweighs the good she had been. The status quo of living a life without privilege and being subject to a lord like the stakes at wintefell whom the north loved, is far better than being burned alive to “free” you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Keep in mind Mad Queen Dany's version of liberation was genocide now.  Lose lose if you ask me.

I think she burned the city in hopes that it would force the remaining nobles, most notably Sansa, to yield without yet another war.  She even said that if they wouldn't accept her out of love, than fear would have to do.  She wasn't talking about the peasants when she said this.  She was talking about the ruling class. 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The dragons are nuclear weapons. Dany basically dropped a nuke on a million people for no real reason. You can’t justify it and it far outweighs the good she had been. The status quo of living a life without privilege and being subject to a lord like the stakes at wintefell whom the north loved, is far better than being burned alive to “free” you 

And why did the US drop nuclear weapons?  They did it to force and unconditional surrender, and maybe to send other powers in the world a message.  These are the same reasons Dani held. 

Some nobles were better than others, but together they all served to prop eachother up.  For every Ned Stark there was a Tywin Lannister or Roose Bolton.  The nobles were not benevolent rulers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think she burned the city in hopes that it would force the remaining nobles, most notably Sansa, to yield without yet another war.  She even said that if they wouldn't accept her out of love, than fear would have to do.  She wasn't talking about the peasants when she said this.  She was talking about the ruling class. 

Dude, she was talking about everyone.  It wasn't just the nobels that didn't know her or her previous good deeds, the peasants didn't either, that was her concern.  Name one leader that ruled out of fear that didn't kill their own people, peasants as well, to maintain the status quo?  That's why I hated what they did to her, she snapped, there's no doubt in my mind she was going to burn Winterfell to the ground and that's why Jon killed her.  She was literally making a hitlist during her speech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

So she's fine with the status quo of feudalism and hereditary nobility, as long the nobles bent the knee.

Doesn't sound like much of a revolutionary to me. 

• Like 2