Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

Arya was death itself.  The mortal agent of the many faced god.  The balancer of scales that was prepared and set into motion.  She came down like the judgement of an angry god on the Freys, Meryn Trant, and Polliver.  That was pure bloody vengeance.  She cut Littlefingers throat with as much emotion as you’d see in someone swatting a fly.  She even scared Sansa.  Then in season 8 she turned into a different character.  She killed the night king, sure, but she was a girl in search of her own happiness.  A girl who in the end is content to go exploring.  It just doesn’t fit.  

Arya did mention in Season 6(?) that she wanted to go West of Westeros. Its just to bad that that planet is flat, and she will fall off the edge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

There is also no world in which Worm was slicing throats of men in the streets on his queen's command, but decides to let his queen's killer walk

I agree completely. The fade to black and then slight time skip was damning. Should have shown Jon being taken into custody with some justification behind it. 

16 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

There is also no world in which Worm was slicing throats of men in the streets on his queen's command, but decides to let his queen's killer walk.

This was maybe the one big flaw in the episode for me.  I don't think it's unbelievable that he would refrain from killing Jon immediately because of fear of causing more chaos and endangering the people under his command, but I wish we had gotten more of an explanation for that and for him backing down later (though weeks have passed at that point and he's had time to think everything over)  I suspect Grey Worm isn't around at this point in the books though, so they might have made things trickier for themselves by keeping him around.  They could have had someone kill him also, but they might have been worried about the outrage and decided to let him go to Naath to make good on his and Missandei's earlier wishes.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

It pisses me off that Jon was shafted like that.

Look, I understand his arc is about duty over love. I get it. I just don't agree with him being exiled to the Wall under those circumstances. You're telling me his brother, who is now King (wtf?), and his loving sister, now Queen of the North, would just let the goddamn Unsullied determine his fate and let him rot at the Wall after everything he's done for the Realm? They were totally ok with a few foreign soldiers telling them that the Hero of Westeros has to go die at the Wall?

Oh yeah, wtf is the point of the Night's Watch? White Walkers are dead and the 25 remaining wildlings are friendly to the realm. Also, there's a giant ass hole in the wall so what's the point in manning any of the castles?

It should have been his choice. The North is who he is, and he's bonded with the Wildlings the entire series. Had he chosen to forego the Crown despite his birthright, and instead spend his time with the people in the far north that he saved, away from the politics of the realm that destroyed so many lives, then I would be ok with it. The show framed it as the Unsullied and Dothraki wanted him to suffer, so he gets sent into exile, which is bull**** considering his family now controls all power in the Kingdom. Also, the unsullied left and the Dothraki evaporated after that scene, so again...why is he being forced into exile?

****ty writing. I hate D&D for shafting the ending to this incredible cinematic opus of a show. Rushing the hell out of the final seasons and destroying the narrative that has been building for years because they wanted to hurry up and start destroying the Star Wars franchise next really pisses me off.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

Arya was death itself.  The mortal agent of the many faced god.  The balancer of scales that was prepared and set into motion.  She came down like the judgement of an angry god on the Freys, Meryn Trant, and Polliver.  That was pure bloody vengeance.  She cut Littlefingers throat with as much emotion as you’d see in someone swatting a fly.  She even scared Sansa.  Then in season 8 she turned into a different character.  She killed the night king, sure, but she was a girl in search of her own happiness.  A girl who in the end is content to go exploring.  It just doesn’t fit.  

Same problem with Arya's storyline; the book hasn't gotten past her Faceless Man training so the show had to just run with whatever.

Once she got back to Westeros she's a super ninja bent on revenge flaunting her skills around; completely opposite of what a Faceless Man is supposed to be in practice and ideology. There's a huge chunk of story missing here.

26 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

It should have been his choice. The North is who he is, and he's bonded with the Wildlings the entire series. Had he chosen to forego the Crown despite his birthright, and instead spend his time with the people in the far north that he saved, away from the politics of the realm that destroyed so many lives, then I would be ok with it. The show framed it as the Unsullied and Dothraki wanted him to suffer, so he gets sent into exile, which is bull**** considering his family now controls all power in the Kingdom. Also, the unsullied left and the Dothraki evaporated after that scene, so again...why is he being forced into exile?

Jon pretty much chose to die or at the very least punish himself when he killed Dany and (I assume) turned himself in.  Also I think he's mostly exiled in name only.  He seems happy enough where he is and he could have declared himself king at any time if he had wanted to.  (Actually I am a little miffed that we didn't get more from Varys' letters or Sam knowing he's king.)

I think it's going to be interesting to see if there's scenes they took of out the show.

Edited by visionary

I'm a GoT newcomer - I started bingeing it a few months ago, watched seasons 1-2 and then seasons 6-7 to get the gist prior to season 8 beginning. 

Given that context, I think this season has been SOOOO paint-by-numbers. Everything they've done was safe...it was clear that they were more concerned about keeping the middle 60% of the fans content. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm a GoT newcomer - I started bingeing it a few months ago, watched seasons 1-2 and then seasons 6-7 to get the gist prior to season 8 beginning. 

Given that context, I think this season has been SOOOO paint-by-numbers. Everything they've done was safe...it was clear that they were more concerned about keeping the middle 60% of the fans content. 

I think you really owe it to yourself to watch seasons 3-5.  That's the heart of the series and the best part.  I think looking back years from now, most would say the ending was rushed and could have been much better, but the journey was some of the best content television has to offer.  I always felt that movies and television tells a different type of story, but one is not better than the other.  GoT really showcased what epic scale television storytelling can achieve.  

• Like 1

Just now, bearrock said:

I think you really owe it to yourself to watch seasons 3-5.  That's the heart of the series and the best part.  I think looking back years from now, most would say the ending was rushed and could have been much better, but the journey was some of the best content television has to offer.  I always felt that movies and television tells a different type of story, but one is not better than the other.  GoT really showcased what epic scale television storytelling can achieve.  

I intend to for sure...I just didn't have time to do it ahead of time and wanted to watch Season 8 while it was an event...

I think I may re-start the entire thing now...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, visionary said:

By the way, I wonder if the idea behind the new system in Westeros is a cross between the Republic of Venice and the Holy Roman Empire. 

HRE immediately came to mind when Tyrion proposed his idea

Though if you ever played Crusader Kings II, you know what a disaster the HRE was in terms of keeping the peace.   I realized this somewhere around 8th or 9th war to lower crown authority after only about 150 years after starting the game.  Not to mention all the wars the vassals started  amongst each other. 🙂

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

HRE immediately came to mind when Tyrion proposed his idea

Though if you ever played Crusader Kings II, you know what a disaster the HRE was in terms of keeping the peace.   I realized this somewhere around 8th or 9th war to lower crown authority after only about 150 years after starting the game.  Not to mention all the wars the vassals started  amongst each other. 🙂

I kind of want a spin-off just seeing Tyrion and co trying to hold the kingdoms together.

Edited by visionary

3 hours ago, visionary said:

Oh man.  They cut so many characters from the books, especially the later books.   Show only fans would have fallen asleep or gone crazy halfway through the show if they hadn't though.  It's sad that we lost a lot of interesting characters and some cool moments, but that's the difference between books and television.  

I totally understand why they cut some characters from the books.  Especially in books 4-5 (season 5).   Luckily we dodged Darkstar and Penny.    Arianne would have been awesome though (they obviously tried to combine her character/story with Ellaria Sand), and would probably have gotten the title of sexiest female of the series had they casted and handled her correctly.   Quentyn's story goes nowhere but it might have been good for a laugh, in addition to not making Dorne seem so pointless. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, visionary said:

I kind of want a spin-off just seeing Tyrion and co trying to hold the kingdom's together.

I would just love to see Peter Dinklage continue to get the roles and recognition that he deserves.  When I first read the books, I was thinking that there was no way this could be put on screen because no one could play Tyrion (shows my ignorance).  He really made the series in so many ways. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Mad Men was incredible. I'd say "flawless" but that's not possible. 

It was an incredible show.  It had a few issues, some things I've come to realize now after watching The Romanoffs that are bothersome Matthew Weiner conceits.  Every long running show that's created by an assertive artist with a strong voice has them in some form or other.  But the show was an instance of master writers working with inspiration and collaborating with great artists on the production-side and the result is a masterpiece that is truly original and elevates the medium.  Deadwood, Band of Brothers, and The Wire are others that come to mind.  That intersection of talent and inspiration and production is such a precious thing.  I watched The Romanoffs and it's the same master working in the same medium but working without true inspiration and the result is deeply unsatisfying.  That's why I'm so amazed by David Simon and George Pelecanos.  To create so many brilliant series, each of them original, is inspiring.

• Like 2

I liked it. You people want to be miserable.

When I was a kid, Marvel comics used to give a "No Prize" to letter writers who pointed out story inconsistencies and then solved them - based on the premise that Marvel never made a mistake.

My No Prize attempt for Grey Worm. He does nothing without orders. He was simply waiting for someone to give him an order vis a vis Jon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He should know, take ownership take agency over his actions and understand he did the right thing. 

I'm not convinced Jon knows he did the right thing. She was his queen. He bent the knee. I think a huuuuuuuuuge part of the Starke ethos is that you keep a vow - even in the face of all logic. Ned thought Jamie was a scoundrel in part because he was a Kingslayer - even though Ned was in rebellion against the king and played a role in killing the heir.

Tyrion will never lose a minute's sleep over the death of Dany. Jon will probably never have a moment's rest because of it.

That's what made Jon who he was.

I said all along that if one of the normal players ended up on the Iron Throne, I would be pissed so I was satisified with the ending. And with the fact that the ruling council was basically nothing but cripples, ****s and broken things. The unwanted son of house Lanninster, the unwanted son of House Tarley, a sellsword of no house, a smuggler, and the freakish daughter who wanted to be a knight. There was even some talk of representative democracy, which is really all I wanted - some evolution.

Here is the questin: Did Danaryus leave the world better for having been alive? I think she absolutely broke the wheel but is what is left at all sustainable?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

Not that I hated the last season, contrary I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said, you know what the reaction would be if they took 2 more seasons to wrap it up.  

“They should have ended it sooner.”

I was absolutely ready for this show to be over. I don't really want two more seasons of Dany not using her dragons to burn Cersei alive. I think a few more episodes might have helped slightly, but you were always going to be tying up unlimited plot with limited time.

The fact remains that by the time they over-ran the books, the plotting on this show was completely out of control. They chose to solve that problem by taking a machete to large chunks of the plot, and I don't really blame them.

1 minute ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

You're only happy because the gay pirate died; admit it.

No, even that sucked. His fight with Jamie was legitimately my least favorite scene of the season and maybe the entire show. Oh, look another person washes up on shore. Oh look he just happens to be right next to Jamie. Oh, he's still acting like goddamn Tim Curry for some reason. And now they fight for no adequately explored reason.

I think I liked the last episode in part because he wasnt' in it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is the questin: Did Danaryus leave the world better for having been alive? I think she absolutely broke the wheel but is what is left at all sustainable?

Freed a ton of slaves. Helped fight off the army of the dead. Cleaned up Fleabottom portion of Kings Landing. She still gets no respect.

• Like 1