Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

I liked it. Am grateful that I lived to see the end. Outstanding TV series over 10 years.  I am happy with the ending. I think it's because I watched and didn't project my own storytelling into it.

A little more about me. Since my stroke, I haven't read nearly as much as I used to. So TV and movies are the most meaningful now. I loved this show. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, hawgboy said:

You know I just started watching The Wire recently... does that show go off the rails and have a limp ending as well? Seems to be required for HBO.

It goes off the rails in season 5, but the finale is one of the show's better episodes. 

Full conscience stream for the final episode, written as I watched.  It's a long and rambling mess, so click at your own risk.  You shouldn't.

Spoiler

Great shot when the unsullied all level their spears suddenly when Jon Snow laid his hands on grey worm.  Grey Worm’s heel turn is complete.  Probably wasn’t wise of me to imagine a guy tortured for his entire existence and made to kill babies was all that good to begin with.

Loved the Rains of Castamere violin when Tyrion found Jamie and Cersei.  Cersei deserved worse. 

Grey Worm teleports to the Queen beating Jon Snow there.  Jon appears surprised by this, but chooses to keep quiet.

Dothraki and unsullied are present for the queens speech.  Other armies are absent.  

Queens speech is an Excellent scene.  Not sure Jon or Tyrion understood a word of it.  Do they speak barbarian?  She ignores Tyrion and Jon Snow, only acknowledges Grey.  Speech declares war on the remaining seven kingdoms.  I’m now pretty sure Jon doesn’t understand the language.  Being that this is the last episode we know that will not happen.  Scene intended to make her look like a fascist, succeeds in its endeavor.

Jon and Tyrion have a loud chat about treason with earshot of the guards.  This is stupid.  

Jon approaches the castle.  Dragon rises from the snow, where it was hiding, and sniffs Jon.  Scary boy is apparently satisfied and goes back to sleep.  Awesome scene, because dragon.

Iron throne miraculously survived.  Dani has no guards around her.  Jon Snow is allowed to approach alone.  What could go wrong?  This is stupid.  Dani saying “I know what is good” is somehow more terrifying than a dragon breathing fire.  Jon Snow ends Dani’s short reign with the pointy end, as it were.  Shocking!  How could this have happened?!

Dani’s costume designer deserves awards. 

Dragon senses ****ery afoot and arrives to investigate the regicide.  Dragon mourns the queens death in a fittingly awesome dragon way.  Melts the stupid pointy throne.  Dragon takes the queens body, presumably to eat it away from Jon Snows prying judgey eyes.  

Tyrion is marched out by grey worm, in silence.  No music.  Crunching steps.  I love this kind of thing, no idea why.  Some time has passed as evidenced by the great keeper of time, the beard.  The lords of Westeros have assembled and immediately set about bickering over Jon Snow.  Onion lord guy pulls white dude move and asks “am I saying that right.”  Grey worm wants to kill Tyrion and Snow.  Frankly it’s a little surprising he hasn’t already, it’s not like he answers to anyone else.  

Anyway, they are apparently choosing a king.  Why not?  Edmure offers himself for the position, Sansa shuts her uncle down hard.  Ruined his life right there.  Cold blooded Sansa is the best Sansa.  Tarly proposes democracy, laughter ensues.  

Tyrion chooses Bran.  Why?  Who the hell knows.  Sansa speaks for Bran, as if he were a child, attempting to disqualify him because she apparently can’t stop ****ting on family today.  Tells everyone he can’t father children, how kind of her to bring that up.  Bran continues to be violently British... and becomes king?  Wait what?  Wtf just happened?  

Sansa recognizing that no one has any earthly idea what sort of king Bran might be, and because of her own obvious ambitions, refuses to bend the knee.  Claims power for herself. Cersei of the north! 

Bran chooses Tyrion as hand.  Why?  Maybe as a reward for Tyrion nominating him?  Tyrion is a sneaky ****, might he have planned that? It fits...

Jon Snow is rewarded for his heroism by being sent to the night’s watch.  No good deed, as they say.  Sansa is quick to “understand” this punishment as it leaves her in power.  This of course makes no sense (what does at this point) because castle black is in the north and serves as a border between the north and the wildling areas.  The same north that no longer belongs to the six kingdoms.  

Grey Worm takes his army on vacation. Some place sunny.  I’m sure an army with no war to fight, lead by a butcher, will bring only peace and love to those islands.  

Arya chooses to **** off to nowhere rather than endure her sisters reign.  Why?  Because tv audience love someone riding off into the sunset.  Sailing off.  Whatever.  Also possible spinoff.  West of Westeros?  Westereros?  

Brienne of Tarth, now a Kingsguard, fills in Jaimie’s history in the official kingsguard book.  Good scene.

Tyrion is left entirely out of the historical account of the wars.  Tarly helped write it and apparently was cool with that.  Bran rolls in and acts like he imagines a king should.  We still have no idea if bran is good or evil, but he’s king.  Funny argument about brothels.  

Jon Snow reunited with his good boy.  That’s something I guess.  He then abandons castle black, and his life sentence, and joins the wildlings.  King of the North of North.  Also the only remaining member of the bloodline that the Dragons serve is now a wildling.   

No giant ice spiders.  Not even one.  The end.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Alright, so for spinoffs we have:

Small Council - sitcom - basically Seinfeld except Kramer is in charge of all the money.

West of Westeros - Adventure drama - basically the Odyssey, except with Arya.  Anyone remember this thing: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118414/

A Gone Targaryen - Action Drama - Jon discovers some new evil in the north, and must defeat it.  But he can't do it alone...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Anyone think D&D were basically ****ting on GRRM with that "Song of Ice and Fire" book that Sam presents to Tyrion?   And then saying that Tyrion wasn't in it?  

All I know is that copies of it will be sold at Barnes & Noble within the next couple months. 

The ending was entertaining and ended in a nice spot for most characters. It’s fine if you just go with it but if you think about it, if all falls apart and nothing really makes sense either with the story or the characters and motivations. 

Which has basically been the show since the end of season 6.

For example: 

sansa: release Jon Snow

Grey Worm:  no, he killed my queen whom I loved dearly. he must meet justice which is death as a traitor 

tyrion: well there is no king anymore so lets pick one from all these 10 people 5 of which are either family members or best friends of Jon and the rest are mostly pretty friendly towards him. They will decide his fate.  

Grey worm: sure that’s fair. What’s that? Oh his brother is now king? Yeah this seems like justice has been assured. I will

now sail off into the distance 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The ending was entertaining and ended in a nice spot for most characters. It’s fine if you just go with it but if you think about it, if all falls apart and nothing really makes sense either with the story or the characters and motivations. 

Which has basically been the show since the end of season 6.

For example: 

sansa: release Jon Snow

Grey Worm:  no, he killed my queen whom I loved dearly. he must meet justice which is death as a traitor 

tyrion: well there is no king anymore so lets pick one from all these 10 people 5 of which are either family members or best friends of Jon and the rest are mostly pretty friendly towards him. They will decide his fate.  

Grey worm: sure that’s fair. What’s that? Oh his brother is now king? Yeah this seems like justice has been assured. I will

now sail off into the distance 

Yeah I'm wondering why they didn't just kill Jon/Tyrion on the spot when they were captured. 

• Like 1

I like how when that nobody whose name I can't even remember stood up ready to nominate himself as new king, and Sansa told him to sit the f down.  I also like how Sam started to suggest a democracy and the lords scoffed and were like, "haha letting people vote for their leader, jokes."

Biggest problem with the ending is Jon killing Daenerys.  Why was she by herself with no guards?  Then the dragon burning the iron throne?  Like he knew what it stood for?  Then he lets Jon Snow go.  All of that seemed farfetched.

Oh and yes, Grey Worm just being okay with how everything ended up seems ridiculous.  The entire Unsullied and Dothraki didn't seem to give a f either.  Very poor writing.  I give the entire show a B and the finale a C-.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

It goes off the rails in season 5, but the finale is one of the show's better episodes. 

Still think Wire is #1 all time, from start to finish it was more consistent than GOT.  Never a very high cheese factor, no true wtf moments.  Maybe didnt have the crazy highs and stunning lows of GOT's -- certainly never had any episodes like NK episode, or Battle of the ****s.   Just consistently a good show episode in and episode, that a told a very believable, very real -- and therefore, at times, very frightening story.      

Ill say this -- Im glad the show didnt drag on, Id rather put up with the somewhat rushed feeling, than watch a show go beyond its appropriate time (ala the Sopranoes which was several seasons too long, or Mad Men which was about 5 seasons too long).  Im done with this series.  Dont really care much more to see any more episodes, and there are no episodes, so I guess they timed it well.    

My least favorite part of the episode was Dany's response to going completely insane or whatever. Wasn't it the same day? Had any time passed? Why was she thrilled and actually quite smug about her actions? Yeah, she won the battle, but she not only acted on a violent impulse (which would be in character), she was straight up sadistic. And she's just cool with that? No remorse or self-reflection? After 8 seasons, we've learned she's not Cersei, for ****'s sake.

She also didn't talk like a crazy person (like, you know, her father, the parallel the show has been desperate to draw), but instead like a fascist tyrant. She's had her moments of that, but I thought anger made her go unhinged, not her ideology? When did she have time to put herself together and write a victory speech? The whole scene reads like 6 months have passed and she's become everything she hates. The woman who locked up her dragons because they killed a child was most certainly not Cersei. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1