Voice_of_Reason

Game of Thrones Season 8

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The only other new scene is the elephant dropping the ball under the bridge. I don’t think that’s even a GOT scene tho, it’s from something else. Seemed out of place. 

A good fan trailer tho 

The Golden Company (the army that Cersi was purchasing at the end of season 7) that Rob Thomas was going to go pick up, uses elephants...allegedly. Otherwise, yes, that scene looked out of place.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yohan said:

The Golden Company (the army that Cersi was purchasing at the end of season 7) that Rob Thomas was going to go pick up, uses elephants...allegedly. Otherwise, yes, that scene looked out of place.

Rob Thomas lmao 

That would be pretty cool to see with the Golden Company. I hope they lean into this final stretch and go all out with stuff like that, granted as long as it fits within the story. 

I know it doesn't mean much since it's his job to say this but the head of HBO said he has seen all of the final episodes and he was in awe. He said each one was like a movie. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I know it doesn't mean much since it's his job to say this but the head of HBO said he has seen all of the final episodes and he was in awe. He said each one was like a movie. 

Dear god.  :o

WANT-NEED-MUST-HAVE.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Funny, i caught a few ep's of season 1 myself over the weekend.

I agree though, GoT's pilot is about as flawless as a modern day pilot can get. Damn title itself became a pop culture phenomenon 

I've been watching The Sopranos in order with my oldest daughter. I still think that's the gold standard for pilots, because that gives you a full view of practically every key relationship and character in 50 minutes. GOT couldn't really do that since nearly every person we thought was important would be dead by the end of season 1, but it did an incredible job of world building. I honestly think that's the key to the show since - again - you can't get too invested in any one character or storyline.

What I find interesting is that I stumbled into each show basically the same way. I watched the final 20 or so minutes of the season finale for each and then had to go back and watch the whole thing from the beginning.  But those final 20 minutes hooked me in totally different ways. Tony and his family in the dark in the restaurant toasting to the good times while "State Trooper" by Springsteen played on the soundtrack made me realize that this wasn't some sort of "Analyze This" comedy like I had suspected. And Dany naked with her dragons was, well, Dany naked with her dragons.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Are you a Song of Ice and Fire book reader?

i highly recommend the Harry Potter books.  The movies are MAYBE 1/8 of what’s in the books.

I love people who share this as if it's a revelation.

Anyway, I really enjoy the book version of The Godfather, but the movie is 10 times better simply because it cuts out the **** from the book that is not necessary - like 50 pages about that girl Sonny banged in the bathroom at the wedding and the size of her vagina. Seriously, the size of her vagina.

There's also Al Neri's backstory where his silly wife left him because he got suspended from the police force for murdering a black guy who totally deserved it.

Seriously, everyone should read The Godfather. It's nuts.

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:06 AM, visionary said:

My family used to listen to the audio books together.  They were so good.  There is a lot of great stuff that didn’t make it into the movies, like the ministry of magic craziness in book 5 near the end and a bunch of stuff in book 4.

I hated Book Five aside from what's her face. The new headmistress. She was such a perfectly created villain.

That book was the point where everyone involved was like, "Editor Schmeditor am I right, people?"

To Rowling's credit, book 6 was a lot tighter. Book 7 was a bit of a mess with 100 pages of them just camping for no apparent reason, but it finished with a bang.

I read everything up to the Half Blood Prince. I was 16-17 by then and was into other stuff. Would go back and read, but I've seen the movies, and well, it's hard to go back.

I will say, surprisingly, that the movies nailed several of my mental images of the some book scenes to a t... Most had to do with the Forbidden Forest encounters, the Goblet of fire trials, but especially the Marvolo house sequences, and the dusturbance at the Quidditch World Cup (though the movie spent like 3 seconds on it) culminating with the Dark Mark.

Was astounding how close it matched my imagination.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

45 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Second was the 

Sounds amazing. 

From what i have gathered listening to the Binge Mode, there are several important movie moments that don't have as strong an impact because of omissions from the books. Examples being Black's death and Dobby's death. We barely got any time with Black or his interactions with Harry and why he was so important to Harry that his death meant so much to Harry's arc. Same for Dobby. His death was sad because he was so innocent and yet still so brave. But he hadn't popped up in like 3 movies prior leading up to his death so it was a bit hollow. 

Also, and this is something that I noticed too without any book knowledge to compare to, the horcruxes kinda come out of nowhere in the movies. For how much everything is setup and carefully laid out in the story with the deathly hallows being part of the story all along, Snape's commitment to Harry's mom/Always, the patronus that protected Harry etc, it all made sense except for the horcruxes just popping up in the final movie. It always felt odd but apparently they are setup and foreshadowed in previous books that the movies don't include. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 1

Stupid phone 😔

Don't even remember Dobby after the first few books. Sad.

I felt like literally 70% of Goblet of Fire was missing in the actual movie. And the Rival schools introduction was ridiculously over the top and not what I remembered from the book

In fairness, the first three books were really kids book with kid book length's. It was pretty easy to storyboard those into a 100 to 120 minute movie.

Suddenly with Goblet of Fire, the book is twice as big with these massive set pieces. By Book 5, the books were completely out of control - sprawling and damn near impossible to follow. I actually give the film credit for turning the battle at the Ministry of Magic into something coherent, because in the book, that went on forever, and I never had any sense of where anyone was or what they were doing. I also remember the actual death of Sirius being confusing  in the book - though the impact made sense because you really got a sense of that character. The problem with the films is that everything he does in the books from the end of 3 to the end of 5 is kind of an exposition dump. Having a lot of Harry/Sirius scenes would just kill the movies dead, I think. One of the problems with the books is that Rowling seemed to create fascinating new characters out of whole cloth on the regular.....and then had nothing for them to do. It always blows my mind that Mad Eye Moody is this incredibly important, really interesting character where we spent 90 percent of our time with his imposter. He basically hangs around after that, waiting for his chance to die.

Harry Potter really screamed for an expanded universe. I would read the **** out of a three part Neville Longbottom as an adult book.

I don't know if you were around book fans when 7 was released, but people lost their **** over the fact that Remus and Tonks died "off screen" and we learned about it by Harry seeing their bodies for five seconds. Meanwhile, he had his face in a bowl looking at memories for seemingly 100 pages.

Those deaths would be as if GOT had a five second scene where Tyrion noticed Bronn in a pile of dead bodies and just kept walking.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

In fairness, the first three books were really kids book with kid book length's. It was pretty easy to storyboard those into a 100 to 120 minute movie.

After your explanation of how you got into the Sopranos and GOT, I'm curious what got you into Harry Potter

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

After your explanation of how you got into the Sopranos and GOT, I'm curious what got you into Harry Potter

Without doubt, Professor Mcgonagall drew LKB in.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Some friends invited me to the movies in November of 2002. They all wanted to see Chamber of Secrets so I went along, figuring I would see what the hubbub was about. I liked it well enough. I went home for Thanksgiving days later as I was single then. My dad was an elementary school principal and had the first Potter book on his desk at home. I read it in maybe three hours on that Friday. I told a friend that I had read it, and she bought me all four books for my birthday on December 12. I think I read them by Christmas. Over Christmas, I think I watched the first movie so I went from completely unaware of Potter to having consumed all of the available Potter material from early November 2002 to January 1, 2003.  The fifth book came out later in 2003 so I was completely caught up in Potter nonsense going forward - though I don't think I ever saw one of the movies in the theater again, which is kind of weird.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

So if it’s resdybwhy the hell do we have to wait until April?

Also, the entire cast and crew and execs have said good things about every season, including season 5 which wasn’t that great minus one or two episodes.  

Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (book 5) had one completely useless chapter, but was really just a setup for everything to come.  It’s not my favorite but I still really enjoy all of it except the the chapter on grawp. The last section with the battle in the ministry, where Voldy and Dumbly go head to head is one of the highlights of the entire series.

I was actually really disappointed in most of the movies. So many things I cherish in the books, which honestly make the story the story, are missing.

Ok, back to GoT.

I’m really looking forward to Arya’s reunion with the Hound.  Hound is with Jon, so I’m assuming they’ll all be there at Winterfell. 

And Tyrion and Sansa. Same deal.  Tyrion is on the Sex Boat, so heading to Winterfell.  I had a passing thought as to whether or not Sansa was technically still married to Tyrion.  I’m guessing not, but unless I am forgetting something about a divorce, she was married to Tyrion, then just married off to Ramsey.  Clearly Ramsey is no longer in the picture.  Just odd.  Anyway, I think it could make for a very interesting reunion.

And, assuming he’s headed North, Jamie and Bran.  “Hey, you pushed me out of tower to stop me from telling anybody you were doinking your twin sis.  Maybe I should tell Jon?  Hmmmmm?”

I was really looking forward to Arya and Sansa last season.  And I think it delivered.

• Like 4

The Arya and Sansa reunion culmination was the execution of Littlefinger, which was perfect.

As a cinematic experience, it was as satisfying as Ramsey's death by dogs.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m really looking forward to Arya’s reunion with the Hound.  Hound is with Jon, so I’m assuming they’ll all be there at Winterfell. 

The Arya with everyone reunions will be interesting. She hasn’t seen Jon since episode 1, they seemed to be buds back in the day. Gendry should be on the way to Winterfel too. As well as the Hound.

i don’t believe Tyrion and Sansa needed a divorce being they never did the Hibidy Dibidy.

• Like 1

The ministry of magic scene in book five is supposed to be chaotic.  The point of it is that these kids got in over their head and are in a desperate situation.  When I first listened to it years back it was even more nerve wracking because it was generally known that someone would die in the book before it came out and every time Ron or Hermione were in serious danger I was worried they were going to die.

Back to GOT, while I had some issues with the whole get together with Cersei and everyone talking about the white walkers last season, I loved the part right before it where everyone was reunited and joking around a bit.  

I also liked the banter between the Hound and others in the snow disaster trek episode (despite the questionable decisions made around it all).  There were a lot of other great stuff and some not great stuff, but I am looking forward to some more reunions and banter his season.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

The Arya with everyone reunions will be interesting. She hasn’t seen Jon since episode 1, they seemed to be buds back in the day. Gendry should be on the way to Winterfel too. As well as the Hound.

i don’t believe Tyrion and Sansa needed a divorce being they never did the Hibidy Dibidy.

I always forget that Jon was already gone when Arya showed up at Winterfell last season.  Yes, that’s going to be quite the reunion.

As far as Sansa and Tyrion, I mean, sure, they didn’t knock boots.  But the old man said man and wife (or whatever he said), so you think they’d have to have the wedding annulled in some way before she married Ramsey.  I don’t remember that ever happening.  So maybe the wedding to Ramsey was not legitimate and she’s still married to Tyrion?

Or maybe Joff (or Tomen?) annulled the Tyrion/Sansa marriage off screen.  

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The Arya and Sansa reunion culmination was the execution of Littlefinger, which was perfect.

As a cinematic experience, it was as satisfying as Ramsey's death by dogs.

That’s tough.  I kinda think the Ramsey being eaten by his own dogs had a little more to it.  Also, Sansa “swung the sword” herself, and killed her tormentor. 

The Baillish death was very satisfying. But for some reason I think the Ramsey one was even better.  

I think maybe what puts it over the edge for me is the little smile by Sansa at the end as she’s walking away.  Sophie Turner played that to perfection.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, visionary said:

I also liked the banter between the Hound and others in the snow disaster trek episode (despite the questionable decisions made around it all).  There were a lot of other great stuff and some not great stuff, but I am looking forward to some more reunions and banter his season.

Edited 2 hours ago by visionary

I can’t waot for the scene where Jon finds out he’s banging his aunt.  I think he’s likely to take it worse than Danny. That’s going to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

One thing I took from this promo: If your statue resides in the Crypts of Winterfell, you're dead. Unlikely, I know.. but just sayin'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I need one question answered: who is taking care of Ser Pounce?

Ser Pounce gonna be seen with blue eyes sitting on Night King's shoulder

• Like 1