Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

Giving Dany a flashback during that scene makes it even worse. We don’t need a recap of all the terrible things that happened to her.

This show needed an extra 6-10 episodes to not resort to dumb things like “Dany kind of forgot about Euron and the Iron Fleet”. Or Dany destroying an army of 30,000, armed with anti-dragon stinger missiles, in five minutes, and then going full genocide. 

I have read some pretty interesting takes on why she would do this. The most convincing is probably that it was Tyrion’s suggestion to stop fighting after the Bells, and Tyrion has pretty much been wrong about everything. Did she want to deal with all the bickering, plotting and other nonsense we’ve seen take place in this world and its governance structure, especially with a man from her family who people seem to like a lot more than her? 

I wish they had really built up the tension between Jon/Dany for more than like 30 minutes of on screen time. We seemingly got a few scenes of Jon mumbling, yer meh kween and I dun want it, to explain Dany’s insecurity. I guess Sansa and Varys also contributed. 

HBO and GRRMV both wanted this to go at least 10 full seasons and I think they were right. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Giving Dany a flashback during that scene makes it even worse. We don’t need a recap of all the terrible things that happened to her.

I disagree it would make things worse because until you watch the interview, there’s no indication AT ALL of why Danny went coocoo bananas.   She won, heard the bells of surrender, looked at the red keep, and lost it.

The right thing to do is do an infinitely better job setting it up and explaining it, being more careful over several episodes if not seasons.  However absent that, a little montage explaining what’s going on in her head and why she snaps is better than absolutely nothing at all. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

24 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

HBO and GRRMV both wanted this to go at least 10 full seasons and I think they were right. 

They likely would have had to find new actors.  It was stretching it as it was and they've been done filming for a while now.   Adding in a couple more episodes per season or some more scenes that would have provided extra context would have been helpful, more seasons would have been a strain on everyone. 

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I disagree it would make things worse because until you watch the interview, there’s no indication AT ALL of why Danny went coocoo bananas.   She won, heard the bells of surrender, looked at the red keep, and lost it.

The right thing to do is do an infinitely better job setting it up and explaining it, being more careful over several episodes if not seasons.  However absent that, a little montage explaining what’s going on in her head and why she snaps is better than absolutely nothing at all. 

I don’t know, that clip and the idea behind it felt like cheap gimmicky crap that this show has successfully avoided until this season. 

The viewer at that point knows that Dany dealt with everything from rape, to betrayal and the death of friends/dragons to get there. That still doesn’t convince me she wants to commit genocide. That scene and what follows fails in impact because Dany has not been shown to be a raging maniac or even close to getting there. We went from 4 or 5 on the crazy dial to 11 and overdrive, with little in between.

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I don’t know, that clip and the idea behind it felt like cheap gimmicky crap that this show has successfully avoided until this season. 

The viewer at that point knows that Dany dealt with everything from rape, to betrayal and the death of friends/dragons to get there. That still doesn’t convince me she wants to commit genocide. That scene and what follows fails in impact because Dany has not been shown to be a raging maniac or even close to getting there. We went from 4 or 5 on the crazy dial to 11 and overdrive, with little in between.

Looking back at some stuff, Dany has said various times in the past that she would burn cities to the ground or turn them to dirt.   She has been held back by either advisers, lack of an ability to do so, or changed her mind/backed down because she still believed in her destiny as a savior or being an overall good person.  So I don't think mass destruction and killing of civilians is out of her character, but they should have done more to connect her recent losses, her fiery inclinations, her current mind-state, and her upcoming actions together for the viewer.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Looking back at some stuff, Dany has said various times in the past that she would burn cities to the ground or turn them to dirt.   She has been held back by either advisers, lack of an ability to do so, or changed her mind/backed down because she still believed in her destiny as a savior or being an overall good person.  So I don't think mass destruction and killing of civilians is out of her character, but they should have done more to connect her recent losses, her fiery inclinations, her current mind-state, and her upcoming actions together for the viewer.

I agree, I had no trouble believing she would burn them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Dany tries to kill Jon with a dragon and he doesn't burn because he's part Targarion, I'm going to LOL and facepalm so ****ing hard. 

I'm kind of hoping it goes that route now because I kind of don't care how it ends.  

• Like 1

That should never in a million years happen for multiple reasons which is why I wouldn’t be surprised if it does.

“We just kinda forgot about season 1 where Jon burns and we make abundantly clear with Viserys that not all Targaryens are immune to fire/heat” 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

If Dany tries to kill Jon with a dragon and he doesn't burn because he's part Targarion, I'm going to LOL and facepalm so ****ing hard. 

I'm kind of hoping it goes that route now because I kind of don't care how it ends.  

God if that happens, I’m not sure what I’ll do. Honestly might break my TV

a year or two ago, if you would have told me I would not be excited at all for the finale of one of my all-time favorite shows, I would have labeled you a mad man.

all I ask for at this point, is that Jon doesn't hop on a boat, ride into a storm, survive, only to become a lumberjack

• Like 1
  • Haha 3