Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

On 10/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, PF Chang said:

There are a lot of things that weren't great about S8 but I think people are mostly mad they didn't get a generic and predictable ending. The hate is way over the top. 

I don't think it's over the top. Season 8 was an abomination in writing in every single facet. Character arcs went nowhere and most were unsatisfying,  character motivations changed whenever it was convenient for the plot, the show completely ignored laws and rules of the world that is spent seasons creating with no explanation. Characters acted completely illogical. Plot lines that were built up for years were completely abandoned, others were close to meaningless disasters (clegane bowl), there was no world building. One of the founding ideas of the series is that characters faced consequences for their actions. It's fantasy but people still behaved believably and realistically. 

All of the complaints about the final season (final 2 really) can be summed up with: Nothing made sense. Everyone acted out of character and acted like ****ing idiots. 

On 10/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, Mooka said:

People are going to be mad regardless.

People aren't mad because the series is over. People are mad because they were served a big pile of **** for a final season after waiting 2 years for the conclusion of a show they loved. 

People aren't mad when things end (Avengers, LOTR, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Star Wars OT) as long as they do the series and the characters justice

People get mad when things end terribly (GOT, Spiderman 3, RG3s rookie season)

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

People aren't mad because the series is over. People are mad because they were served a big pile of **** for a final season after waiting 2 years for the conclusion of a show they loved. 

People aren't mad when things end (Avengers, LOTR, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Star Wars OT) as long as they do the series and the characters justice

People get mad when things end terribly (GOT, Spiderman 3, RG3s rookie season)

Protect your heart, man. Dont let em do it to you again.

17 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

LKB probably wants Star Wars to do a deep dive on the complexities of Jar-Jar and the rest of the Gungan on Naboo

Actually, if you are interested, Binge Mode (of Game of Thrones and Harry Potter podcast fame) is now doing Star Wars reviews in anticipation of Rise of Skywalker.  

They've already done the prequels and Solo movies each as their own podcast. The Phantom Menace pod included a deep dive on the history of Naboo and the Gungan. They also have done a character study podcast specifically on Jar Jar. It goes into detail as to why he was put in the movie in the first place, Geroge's ideas, Jar Jar's actions in the movie, character motivations, the backlash, theories surrounding him etc. 

It's fantastic. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Actually, if you are interested, Binge Mode (of Game of Thrones and Harry Potter podcast fame) is now doing Star Wars reviews in anticipation of Rise of Skywalker.  

They've already done the prequels and Solo movies each as their own podcast. The Phantom Menace pod included a deep dive on the history of Naboo and the Gungan. They also have done a character study podcast specifically on Jar Jar. It goes into detail as to why he was put in the movie in the first place, Geroge's ideas, Jar Jar's actions in the movie, character motivations, the backlash, theories surrounding him etc. 

It's fantastic. 

The fact a bunch of nerds decided to actually do a deep dive on Jar Jar shouldn't surprise me.....Meesa christ 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Yes, please. We need to know more about this sith lord.

This theory really is pretty special. if they had just made him a little less racist stereotype, and a little less embarrassingly annoying in TPM, who knows what may have been...

Full disclosure: i hate that mother ****er

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It's fantastic. 

This podcast has made me really dislike characters I liked  and yet opened my eyes to things I didn’t realize.  Binge Mode Star Wars will ruin your childhood!

9 minutes ago, Yohan said:

This podcast has made me really dislike characters I liked  and yet opened my eyes to things I didn’t realize.  Binge Mode Star Wars will ruin your childhood!

Ha.  I haven't experienced that.  But it's definitely an ... adult take on star wars.  Because "Binge Mode contains adult content."

52 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

The fact a bunch of nerds decided to actually do a deep dive on Jar Jar shouldn't surprise me.....Meesa christ 🤦‍♂️

When I found out Mal and Jason were doing a podcast on Jar Jar, I was shocked.  I could honestly listen to them read the phone book at this point because they are just interesting people to listen to, but I really scratched my head as to whether or not that would be an hour or two of my life I would never get back.

It was actually, and extremely surprisingly, very informative and hysterical.  

I still wish Jar Jar had never entered my life, but, eh, what you gonna do?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But it's definitely an ... adult take on star wars.  Because "Binge Mode contains adult content."

Man, when Jason was talking about his Star Wars toys and having a Dagobah set with a vacuum that could suck up his Luke and Yoda figures, then Malory asks for clarification on the Luke toy/vacuum to which he says "I mean you could literally suck his dick"

good times

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

haha in what ways?

It’s all been about the prequels so far, but I actually didn’t mind Attack of the Clones...I now know the error of my ways. Yoda had always been a favorite, but what a dolt. Mace Windu, not much better, pretty much being warned about Dooku from Padme, but Dooku was a Jedi, so he couldn’t be bad. Maybe it’s the Jedi order all together, no one was able to pick up on what Sheev was up to? With the light sabers and blaster bolts to grab ones attention, the dialogue is pretty horrible.

What I didn’t realize is the stereotype regarding Jar Jar, the trade federation guy, or the owner of Ani and his mom. 

Binge Mode is fun, and I like it, I just hope the original trilogy gets more love...I haven’t listened to the Solo one yet.

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Man, when Jason was talking about his Star Wars toys and having a Dagobah set with a vacuum that could suck up his Luke and Yoda figures, then Malory asks for clarification on the Luke toy/vacuum to which he says "I mean you could literally suck his dick"

good times

They kill me. 

There are times when I wonder if Mal is getting any at home because of the way she drools over older hot men and finds the sexual angle to everything.  Chuckle....

• Haha 1

Didn't realize Sapochnik is involved in this.  Interesting.

You thought it was going to be a sleepy Sunday, didn’t you? Never fear, George R. R. Martin and his Not a Blog are here to brush away the weekend boredom. Martin took to his blog today in a surprise entry to subtly reassure fans that there will be a full writer’s room on the new Game of Thrones spinoff titled House of the Dragon, recently announced by HBO with co-showrunners Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik.

Martin confirms that Condal wrote the pilot script and the series bible so far, but announces a line-up of writers also in the mix, comparing them to Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters, Rhaenys and Visenya.

According to GRRM, the three other writers involved are:

WES TOOKE was Ryan’s right hand man on COLONY, where he served as an executive producer and wrote thirteen episodes. CLAIRE KIECHEL is a young playwright out of New York who came to HOUSE OF THE DRAGON after stints on Netflix’s THE OA and HBO’s new WATCHMEN series. TI MIKKEL came to the show from my own Fevre River Packet Company, where she’s served as a writer’s assistant, helped in the development of a series of short films I hope to produce, and is spearheading the development of TUF VOYAGING as a television series… when she’s not working on her own novel.

He explains their role helpfully:

Those unfamiliar with the way television works may wonder… if Ryan Condal wrote the pilot and the bible, what did Wes and Claire and Ti do? The answer is: a lot. They sat with Ryan every day in a writer’s room at HBO for months, talking story, going over drafts, giving notes, correcting errors (not that Ryan or I ever made any, no sir, not us), catching inconsistencies, discussing character and plot, offering ideas and suggestions, filling in gaps, breaking down the episodes to come and drawing up a roadmap for the first season and all the seasons to follow. The HOUSE OF THE DRAGON could never have been built without the help of Ti, Claire, and Wes, three terrific young storytellers. They have my thanks, and Ryan’s.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So last week I was really bored and rewrote the plot for seasons 5-10 in a way that improved on all of the flaws I had with the series ending. That's why I had to go back to start at season 5, mostly to introduce a few characters early enough so they can make an impact on the later seasons. 

It's obviously crappy fanfic but i was really happy with how it turned out for something I wrote in 4.5 hours. I was pleased I was able to keep the political drama until the very end, really highlight Dany's downfall and set it up years in advance, gave Jon a lot to do in the final seasons instead of being relegated to a side character, and I made the WW actually meaningful while only giving them one additional battle. 

This was incredibly cathartic. I'll never forgive the hack writers that ruined this show but I feel better now than I have for the past 8 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

So last week I was really bored and rewrote the plot for seasons 5-10 in a way that improved on all of the flaws I had with the series ending. That's why I had to go back to start at season 5, mostly to introduce a few characters early enough so they can make an impact on the later seasons. 

It's obviously crappy fanfic but i was really happy with how it turned out for something I wrote in 4.5 hours. I was pleased I was able to keep the political drama until the very end, really highlight Dany's downfall and set it up years in advance, gave Jon a lot to do in the final seasons instead of being relegated to a side character, and I made the WW actually meaningful while only giving them one additional battle. 

This was incredibly cathartic. I'll never forgive the hack writers that ruined this show but I feel better now than I have for the past 8 months. 

Let me guess, 3 seasons of Jon Snow chasing the Night King around? :P

kidding aside, I’d love to read it if you ever want to share it. 

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Let me guess, 3 seasons of Jon Snow chasing the Night King around? :P

kidding aside, I’d love to read it if you ever want to share it. 

I never said I wanted that lol. 

I’ll post it here in the next day or so. I’ve been very critical of the ending so I guess it’s fair to let my own version of the ending be critiqued as well. Then again, I did this outline in 4.5 hours and without a team of writers and I’m not paid millions of dollars to be the caretakers of a worldwide cultural phenomenon. 

it actually started as an answer to a reddit post “if you could rewrite the ending of the series, where would you start at” and then as I went on explaining my answer it just got deeper and deeper as I felt I needed to flesh it out more to justify Or explain each previous decision or the eventual outcome of each choice. I threw in my AirPods, hit repeated on the soundtracks in Spotify and went to work.  Sadly once I was finished it exceeded the character limit of a reddit post and I was unable to respond 

• Like 1