Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

5 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Has anyone read Fire and Blood or that giant companion book to the main series?  Are either worth it?

I'd say skip the Fire & Blood and just go with The World of Ice & Fire because they're basically the same or at least they overlap.  (I have both but haven't read them yet) 

They read more like a history textbook then a story like the Dunk and Egg tales. 

They also have some nice illustrations. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fan-reactions-to-game-of-thrones-ending-wont-chang/1100-6468501/

Game of Thrones wrapped up its eighth and final season in May. The finale, and the entire final season, was controversial. Some people enjoyed it. Others didn't. Some thought it was fine. Whatever the case, the ending was a much-discussed event.

But will the reaction to the final season impact author George R.R. Martin's final two novels? It doesn't sound like it. Martin told EW that he feels a "temptation" to change plans for his next entry, The Winds of Winter, but he won't do it.

"That's wrong," he said about changing his writing based on how people reacted to the show. "Because you've been planning for a certain ending and if you suddenly change direction just because somebody figured it out, or because they don't like it, then it screws up the whole structure. So no, I don't read the fan sites. I want to write the book I've always intended to write all along. And when it comes out they can like it or they can not like it."

Martin said the internet has changed how fan theories are spread, and how much steam they pick up. In a time before the internet, only 1 in 100 people might accurately put together the threads of a mystery like Jon Snow's parentage. But with the internet, if one person finds a clue, they post it online and then everyone else understands a plot reveal they might not have otherwise seen coming.

Game of Thrones the TV show got ahead of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, upon which the show is based. Martin said he told Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss "a number of things" related to his plans, and some of this ended up in the show. However, Martin's novel series will take a different path towards its conclusion, it seems.

"It's like two alternate realities existing side by side," Martin said about the show and his book series. "I have to double down and do my version of it which is what I've been doing."

As for when Martin plans to finish The Winds of Winter, well, you can probably guess his response. "It will be done when it's done," he said.

Edited by visionary

18 hours ago, Bacon said:

It won't change the ending because that lazy **** isn't going to write anything else. He's too busy counting stacks of merchandising cash to avenge his baby from the horrible things D&D did to it. 

If there was anything which I think would motivate GRRM to actually finish the books, it's that the story's ending was just not well received, and he MIGHT want to actually fix it for his own legacy's sake.  

I say this as somebody who won't read the books, so it doesn't matter to me.  I'm hoping that once the story is complete (assuming it is), in say 10-15 years, somebody goes back and re-adapts it in whatever the new version of watching TV is then.  I think in the next 15 years, the "watching" experience is going to change entirely, and be much more VR like, and it will be a real opportunity to start from scratch.

Pity, though.  The first 6 seasons (minus season 5 which was extremely inconsistent) were some of the best TV out there.  

• Like 2

He has no incentive to finish the books. He either doesn’t finish them and everybody assumes they would be great and a better and more true ending or he does finish them and risk disappointing people as well, 

i suppose there is the chance that he finishes them and they are well received but why risk it? Right now he’s the definitive source again and held in high regard 

GRRM has actual artistic integrity. He's not going to change the ending he's planned from the beginning in response to show criticism.

I want the book, but I like that he's taking as long as he needs instead of publishing trash ASAP. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PF Chang said:

GRRM has actual artistic integrity. He's not going to change the ending he's planned from the beginning in response to show criticism.

I want the book, but I like that he's taking as long as he needs instead of publishing trash ASAP. 

Trash..?   Like the last book in the series he DID put out??  

D&D didn't do terrible things to the storyline, it fell apart under its own weight.  

18 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

D&D didn't do terrible things to the storyline, it fell apart under its own weight.  

I don't think ADWD was trash, nor do I really think D&D ruined the storyline. The endings will be essentially the same but the journeys are different, so the last season felt disjointed. 

What aspects of the storyline do you think fell apart? I'm not saying it didn't fall apart, just that there are a lot of different things people disliked. For example you don't seem like the kind of person who's mad that Jon and the Night King didn't have an anime-style 1v1 lightsaber duel. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

ADWD was not trash.  Like book AFFC, it has the problems of pacing and storylines which were total duds/deadends.  On the other hand, the character development is pretty darn good.  Dany's eventual fall is heavily foreshadowed. 

Its much better on a reread.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

what happened to the last season (the last two seasons) is that they got rushed.    

seasons 1 through 5 were leisurely... focused on character development, scheming, slowly building up tension/armies/schemes/foreshadowing/relationships...

the last 2 seasons were focused on ... ****, we are xxHERExx  and we have 75 things that have to happen to get us to xxTHERExx  in 15 episodes (as well as 150 lose ends to tie up on the way there) .... and they started rushing.   

• Like 1

what happened to the books, was his intertwined plots got too far-flung and unwieldy, and he started having trouble keeping them entwined with each other in an interesting and mutually supporting manner.   He also killed off a lot of interesting characters in the early books (which was very entertaining at the time), but by ADWD you miss some of the flavor of those good characters AND you got the the very real feeling that he was just purposely fluffing up meaningless side story lines so that he could kill off some more very much less interesting "key characters".   Mostly... it just seemed like he got some combination of too bogged down in wild webs he had woven, and too intellectually lazy (or out of ideas?) to keep it as interesting as it had been in the first 2 or 3 books.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1