Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

No, behave like the patriots. Business 

if a team betters ER the transition tag, we should match and turn around and trade to said team. 

Worse case scenerio, you lose a pick in the 100's in 2019 (no guarantee depending on our own actions) 

but, given the value of KC. Any team would give a 2nd with a LTD on a match scenario. A 2nd IN 2018!!!

In order to match we need the cap space to match the contract and so we cannot spend a dime until then.  If this does not happen on day 1 of free agency then we start watching all of our own free agents leave and miss out on any free agents we want to sign from other teams. 

This is not business, it is petty insanity and we will be the losers and drag our already glittering reputation even further through the mud.

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

But in this situation where we pay him a minimum of $28 million how are we not screwing ourselves a 100 times more than we are screwing him? 

Both sides get screwed for an entire year. Both sides will suffer. We would be in cap hell for a year and Kirk would definitely be lowering his market value by not playing a single snap for over a year and would likely lose out on the chance to go to Denver and the teams like the Browns and the Jets with fat pockets would very likely take a QB with their high 1st round picks this year. He would be losing market value, losing another year (he isn't 22 years old or anything) and would be going into a much more unknown situation in 2019.

Again, tag him Feb 20th and watch the sharks come to feed.

teams will be in a frenzy and, my opinion, won't know what to do as they may have been expecting free agency battle.

from there, sit back and see what transpires. Pressure on teams considering KC will be Uber escalated and may even create panic

I could see a scenario, very unlikely, but still...

The Skins tag Cousins and if they can't work a sign and trade scenario before the deadline for Alex Smith comes, they take the hit on Cousins, and/or match an offer he gets and cancel the Smith trade.

What is much more likely is that they just let him go to free agency. I'm holding on to the last thread of this unraveling sweater, that maybe we can get something out of it

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

In order to match we need the cap space to match the contract and so we cannot spend a dime until then.  If this does not happen on day 1 of free agency then we start watching all of our own free agents leave and miss out on any free agents we want to sign from other teams. 

This is not business, it is petty insanity and we will be the losers and drag our already glittering reputation even further through the mud.

1. We don't have to match, but should.

2. If we do, and we should. We only have about 1 real desirable FA to sign that we likely won't get anyway- Brown. The rest of our FAs ain't really going far. Bree land good as gone and frankly, given what he'll get in FA, addition by subtraction. Good player but replaceable 

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I recall Jason Pierre Paul emphatically relaying that he was so upset that he'd have to face RG3 twice a season.

Von Miller believes Kirk is elite and will take them to the Super Bowl.

All sorts of players and coaches say all types of things, not sure that any of it makes a hill of beans.

I recall Travis Kelce saying he wished he could play with Alex for another season.

As much as these people talk take what you will from it. Just don’t take one side of it because it meets your narrative 

Side note: I find it interesting that Kansas City took an inferior deal (trading him to Washington instead of Cleveland) because Smith preferred the longer term deal. The team took a small hit for a player on the way out the door as a thank you for his service to the team. A lesson to be learned there.

3 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Side note: I find it interesting that Kansas City took an inferior deal (trading him to Washington instead of Cleveland) because Smith preferred the longer term deal. The team took a small hit for a player on the way out the door as a thank you for his service to the team. A lesson to be learned there.

I wouldn't necessarily put it down to altruism quite yet. The Chiefs also got a top notch young, cheap slot CB out of the deal along with a 3rd round pick. They very well may have valued that higher than a high 2nd rounder and/or players they were being offered by other teams. 

The Chiefs are on the record saying they didn’t want to face him which meant that the AFC was out.

Fact is the Browns offered thier second round pick (essentially a low first round pick) which was many more picks before what they got from Washington. The higher the pick the better for the Chiefs. 

But everyone knew that the Browns were not looking to extend Alex. That played a part in this for sure

Smith is essentially on a 5yr 111mil deal now. All we have to do is restructure the first year of his deal, give him a lower salary with a 30mil signing bonus and his 2018 cap number could be as low as 11mil with the other 100 spead over that last 4 years. This is a great deal cap wise for a QB of his pedigree. 

Ain't no cap problem here.

Also, recently Cousins somewhat arrogantly said his agents advice was, if they tag you, just sign it straight away and play under that this year. They clearly weren't banking on us trading for a new starter we'll before FA. 

He's doesn't want to be tagged now without a very quick out option to another team. It's not the same now he's basically lost his job. I think we've pulled the rug from under him and in the circumstances I like the move to be honest.

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If Cousins is a good as he says he is we should be able to tag and trade him. Someone will want to avoid the free agency frenzy. 

Problem is hes not. 

Tell me this is part of a troll job and save face. 

I've never heard  Cousins say how good he is or even imply it.

With that out of the way, plenty of teams would trade for him.  Only the Redskins squandered all that by making the move for Smith, among other things.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Smith is essentially on a 5yr 111mil deal now. All we have to do is restructure the first year of his deal, give him a lower salary with a 30mil signing bonus and his 2018 cap number could be as low as 11mil with the other 100 spead over that last 4 years. This is a great deal cap wise for a QB of his pedigree. 

Ain't no cap problem here.

Also, recently Cousins somewhat arrogantly said his agents advice was, if they tag you, just sign it straight away and play under that this year. They clearly weren't banking on us trading for a new starter we'll before FA. 

He's doesn't want to be tagged now without a very quick out option to another team. It's not the same now he's basically lost his job. I think we've pulled the rug from under him and in the circumstances I like the move to be honest.

What in the world are you talking about. Cousins is about to get exactly what he's wanted all along, an open FA period where he can take visits and teams can bid to show who wants him the most, and where he has the best chance to win. Nothing we did put a kink in Cousins' plans. Kirk is too nice to gloat, but his agent probably laughed his ass right off when the news broke. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What in the world are you talking about. Cousins is about to get exactly what he's wanted all along, an open FA period where he can take visits and teams can bid to show who wants him the most, and where he has the best chance to win. Nothing we did put a kink in Cousins' plans. Kirk is too nice to gloat, but his agent probably laughed his ass right off when the news broke. 

Who wants him the most...both Denver and Clevland wanted Smith. I really don't think his agent is laughing his ass off at all. Im sure Kirk comes out of this alright though, and he'll end up deservedly well paid. 

34 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I recall Travis Kelce saying he wished he could play with Alex for another season.

As much as these people talk take what you will from it. Just don’t take one side of it because it meets your narrative 

I don't expect anything less.  By all accounts, Smith is a hell of a guy.  

With that said, players have said and will say similar things about Kirk when he officially goes.

Point being, you typically expect folks to say nice things about their teammates when they depart.  

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Who wants him the most...both Denver and Clevland wanted Smith. I really don't think his agent is laughing his ass off at all. Im sure Kirk comes out of this alright though, and he'll end up deservedly well paid. 

Please show me this confirmation you have that Denver wanted him.  There are reports to the contrary.  Posted several times in this thread.

Even if Denver was in on Smith, it still wouldn't change his agent laughing his ass off.  They are getting what they want no matter what.

The only thing i'm upset at is the fact we gave up Kendal Fuller to obtain Smith.  Cousins is going to flop like a soggy pancake next season with all the pressure he has to live up to. We all know how well he does with pressure. Alex Smith is going to be good enough (with a healthy defense) to get us our first Playoff win since 2005. 

1 minute ago, RonBurgandy said:

The only thing i'm upset at is the fact we gave up Kendal Fuller to obtain Smith.  Cousins is going to flop like a soggy pancake next season with all the pressure he has to live up to. We all know how well he does with pressure. Alex Smith is going to be good enough (with a healthy defense) to get us our first Playoff win since 2005. 

I doubt he will flop. I see him doing reasonably well wherever he goes but how well depends on a) the coaching B) the O line.

If he's behind a patchwork line he'll get the crap tanked out of him. 

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

The Browns offered a 2nd rounder for Smith (they have two in the upcoming draft). When the Chiefs asked for more, the Browns said thanks for your time, conversation over. That new front office is already light years more competent than ours. They know how, when, whether, and who to deal.

And, if Smith leads the Skins to the playoffs each of the next 3 years while the Browns continue to flounder in mediocrity, will that still be the narrative?

Not trying to be a prick here, just playing devil's advocate. Seems many have already made up their mind one way or another. I'm gonna let things play out.

To all the tag advocates, there is a risk associated to the potential reward of trading him for something. They are: 

- Currently we'll get a 3rd for Kirk as a comp pick. If he leaves via tag or trade we won't get a comp pick, meaning you need at least a higher 3rd rounder in return. 

- If we match a transition tag offer we can't control the terms, meaning how much is signing bonus. roster bonus and salary. This is critical in trying to trade a player because if there's a large signing bonus there will be a lot of dead cap space created. 

- We could get stuck with 2 QBs and use up almost all of our $52M in cap space. That would be a nightmare scenario considering we have material holes in this roster (1 starting LB under contract!) and we will need an extra $6-8M to pay for the rookies we draft. 

IMO there is not 'tag and trade' option. There is just too many risks associated for a payoff that might be a 1st rounder, but most likely would be less. 

By trading for Alex Smith and extending him the FO has effectively said they are washing their hands of the Cousins negotiations and want to move on.  

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

And, if Smith leads the Skins to the playoffs each of the next 3 years while the Browns continue to flounder in mediocrity, will that still be the narrative?

Not trying to be a prick here, just playing devil's advocate. Seems many have already made up their mind one way or another. I'm gonna let things play out.

And if <insert anything here>...

I feel you've been around long enough to expect the worst and hope for the best.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Please show me this confirmation you have that Denver wanted him.  There are reports to the contrary.  Posted several times in this thread.

Even if Denver was in on Smith, it still wouldn't change his agent laughing his ass off.  They are getting what they want no matter what.

Pointless, because you will simply counter with the report(s) you choose to believe. Lets see how it plays out and if Cousins does indeed just walk for free.  

I also think the Browns reluctance to up their offer is because they were apparently looking at it as a one year rental.  They seemed to want Smith for the last year of his contract so they could still go ahead and take a QB at 1 but then sit him for a year and not give him PTSD like they did with Kizer.  That being the case it makes sense that they would not want to offer more to try and win the deal.

Archived