Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

I just can't wrap my head around the logic and rationale for letting Fuller go. The kid was a baller, and one of the best we've had in that secondary in a long time. Not only that, he's not some high-priced free agent. He's a player that we were developing. This is crazy. Teams with stability and winning traditions develop their own talent.

16 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He'd sign it immediately.

$32 million this year and he's a free agent next year. He would be in position to make $150 million over 4 years in guaranteed money.

Yup, and he could also have a laugh at Bruce's expanse in that situation.

Everyone knows we're not gonna tag him.

Just like everyone knew we were about to dump RG3.

One man can dream though, but reality is another matter.

16 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Alex Smith allows you to keep the team competitive and not lose the locker room due to lack of confidence in the QB. 

The guys some are suggesting as the guys theyd rather have instead of Smith are laughable. Bradford, Keenum, Colt, Bridgewater. All those guys would force you to play the rookie you were planning on grooming and bringing along slowly like we've seen happen way too often.

Alex Smith is in the EXACT same Tier as Cousins. Oh Smith has never done much in the playoffs? News flash neither has Cousins, and those 3rd tier "stop gap" names you're suggesting certainly haven't either.

What he does provide is stability and an end to the Circus that constantly surrounded Cousin's contract saga. He easily has 2 or 3 years of good QB play left in him and if anyone thinks Kirk would have signed for what Smith did you're on drugs.

Sure it sucks we lost Fuller, you have to pay to get a pro bowl caliber QB, regardless of age. 

In case you didn't read it, locker room is already upset we've send Fuller packing. Players know that we've just dealt a young uprising star for an old stop gap vet QB. That's what Smith will be, a stop gap QB. Don't be surprised if in a few weeks some guys like Norman request a trade. You'll probably won't here for them, but I'm also pretty sure guys like Kerrigan and Williams are pissed as in we're basically throwing the towel on their respective careers.

We're not bringing in stability by any means. Sure that 4 years extension seems to aim in that direction, but we're just changing QB with no weapons be it either running or passing. That's a huge IF to consider. The circus you're referring to is the one we created for not signing him two years in a row. From all accounts we were all in last year. We wanted him badly. We wanted Kirk as our QB, and now we trade for another? It's not Kirk who's created this circus. Our own FO did.

Now, Smith is a 34 year old QB, who's likely checking one last time in his career. He's not stupid as well, and knows that this move doesn't looked great for the remaining of his career. If he wanted to win a SB he probabnly knows by know it'll never happen because he's moving from a team that has been a play off contender for quite some time, to one that used to be a bottom dweller.

And if you think you have to pay for a PB caliber QB, then you might as well pay Kirk Cousins. Same tier as Smith as you said. knows the team, knows the players, knows the playbook, HC stood up for him, and is 4/5 years younger and wants to win badly. All those are worth 3/4M more of salary in my book.

By the way, IIRC, we never offered Kirk something close to a 71M guaranteed money last year. If we did, I'm pretty sure he would have signed it quickly. What was it? 40M?

So we don't want to commit to a 29 year old QB that we know, but want to commit to a 34 year old guy that is most likely just cashing it?

Circus is just beginning mate.

4 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

cant figure out how to embed a gif so heres a link.  

https://imgur.com/bW7KF71

If you havent watched much Alex Smith, expect a lot of this.

It is equal parts awful and great.  

We are used to noodle-armed qbs that can't see the field. Hell, we're just used to terrible qbs. We're also used to posters sticking up for terrible qbs. Fanatically so.

13 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Garoppolo was under contract.

1 year left on his contract...just like a 1 year tender

If Kirk signed a tender, it's a one year deal. If you traded him midseason, the team that traded for him would control him for six or seven games. And then he's a free agent.

Same as what we've been doing..a team MIGHT do a Transition tag for one year to see if Kirk is worth a LTD. I'm not sure KC is worth a huge payday to many teams without a look see...

None of you know what you are talking about. Just saying.

That's right...nobody knows EVERYTHING so we might as well close the forum and stop discussing. I wanted a discussion on the possibilities and WHY it would/wouldn't work...feel free to stop playing along anytime

Just now, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

1 year left on his contract...just like a 1 year tender

Same as what we've been doing..a team MIGHT do a Transition tag for one year to see if Kirk is worth a LTD. I'm not sure KC is worth a huge payday to many teams without a look see...

That's right...nobody knows EVERYTHING so we might as well close the forum and stop discussing. I wanted a discussion on the possibilities and WHY it would/wouldn't work...feel free to stop playing along anytime

You're new so you probably don't know this. But I do know everything. Ask around.

This entire line of discussion is stupid. The Skins aren't tendering him. And if they did, Snyder should be forced to sell the team after the competency hearing.

11 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Alex Smith allows you to keep the team competitive and not lose the locker room due to lack of confidence in the QB. 

The guys some are suggesting as the guys theyd rather have instead of Smith are laughable. Bradford, Keenum, Colt, Bridgewater. All those guys would force you to play the rookie you were planning on grooming and bringing along slowly like we've seen happen way too often.

Alex Smith is in the EXACT same Tier as Cousins. Oh Smith has never done much in the playoffs? News flash neither has Cousins, and those 3rd tier "stop gap" names you're suggesting certainly haven't either.

What he does provide is stability and an end to the Circus that constantly surrounded Cousin's contract saga. He easily has 2 or 3 years of good QB play left in him and if anyone thinks Kirk would have signed for what Smith did you're on drugs.

Sure it sucks we lost Fuller, you have to pay to get a pro bowl caliber QB, regardless of age. 

Excellent post!!!  I don't understand the over-the-top negative reactions so soon after the trade.  You have to at least wait to see how things unfold. 

Does Fuller become a great player? 

Does Cousins become a franchise QB which he is not at the moment? 

Does Smith immediately fall off a cliff? 

Will the draft or FA prove to have a QB significantly better than Smith?   

All these questions are TBD.  No one knows the future.  Injury could short-circuit one or more careers.  We may find out that Cousins was more a product of Gruden's system than we realize.  So can we wait to see what happens before condemning this trade?  At least let the entire offseason play out first before bursting a blood vessel.

1 minute ago, sempre_victrix said:

This just reeks of abject stupidity.  You just gave away a decent 3rd rounder and a budding great corner to pay an over the hill QB who does not upgrade the team.

Bruce should be drawn and quartered.

I don't think Dan cares about Bruce's football acumen (or lack thereof), but his politicking.

So after sleeping this news off here’s where I’m at

I thought Alex Smith was a great choice to hand the reigns over to. Said so as soon as the Chiefs were booted out of the playoffs and argued with many here about this weeks ago. Nothing’s changed about that. If Kirk wouldn’t sign here which he wouldn’t and anyone hearing him give interviews on radio row this week had to believe he was gone then the choice came down to what you as a fan wanted them to do.

Choice one - piss away the 18 season and start Colt McCoy hoping to tank a season so that they could draft a top QB in 19. 

Choice two - Give up the possible third round compensatory pick for losing Cousins and sign one of the many questionable free agent QBs out there. You do that if you believe in one of those guys and the cost of that player would be more then the cost of Smith in 18

Choice three - Trade for Alex Smith, a guy who the casual fan who talks loud but doesn’t know much about will think is a bad QB because all they know is fantasy football. Truth about Smith is he took the Chiefs to the playoffs three out of the last four seasons. So the argument that the Redskins don’t have guys like Tyreke and Hunt is garbage. The Chiefs didn’t have them during those runs either. Alex Smith is a very capable QB that will keep the Redskins relevant. And he allows them to get that third round pick next year So the cost of Smith will be him for a slot cb. Make no mistake losing Fuller sucks. But considering we got a good QB (that’s all Kirk ever was) for Fuller it’s a good trade for us.

Yes we overpaid only because of Fuller but they needed this drama to end and Kirk was gone regardless. I’m fine with this trade

Grant Paulsen, Kirk's pal, slipped a story just now.  He said more or less look Kirk wasn't going to throw anyone under the bus as to the FO because that's not how he rolls.    But then he goes I'll share one story and maybe more over time.  He said that after Kirk got an offer that he and his agent didn't care for -- someone in the FO look don't worry we will send you a new updated-better offer.  A week later they fax Kirk and his agent the exact same offer they gave initially.

So Grant goes yeah I got a bunch of stories like that. 

Moving to Alex Smith.  I was just reading KC papers.  Here's one I found that was interesting

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article197529389.html

...He had his limitations, though exaggerated by many, and one of the legitimate ones was that he wasn’t on a tier of players who could make a team better than the sum of its parts like some of the NFL greats at that position.

Some even sneered at him as a mere “game manager.”

The Chiefs, though, were 50-26 with him starting regular-season games, and they had record-setting numbers with Smith surrounded by the dynamic likes of Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce this season.

And if you want, you can say that Smith wasn’t good enough to lead them to playoff success — and he certainly wasn’t in the 2017 loss to Pittsburgh — but he had winning performances in two of the Chiefs’ playoff defeats:

29 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

Chiefs fan, here.  Just a heads up for you guys.  There will be some new people probably joining here that claim to be ex-chiefs fans joining here to follow Alex Smith.  They followed Smith to the Chiefs from the 9ers.  They are miserable humans and they will make you guys miserable too.  It will be an Alex Smith ball washing extravaganza in here.  They never relent or go away.  The chiefs boards can't wait to be rid of them, maybe even  more so than Alice.  I hope you guys like checkdowns and dissapointment.  

Not here to bash Mahomes but he is very hyped up from the Chiefs fans I know, is this kid really good or something? Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs 4 times. The fans seem happy to see him go, skins fans are on the verge of suicide over an inflated, soon to be overpaid QB that has been to one playoff game since being drafted in 2012.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You're new so you probably don't know this. But I do know everything. Ask around.

Oct 2009 joined date. I am familiar with your self aggrandizing, don't need to ask :)

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This entire line of discussion is stupid. The Skins aren't tendering him. And if they did, Snyder should be forced to sell the team after the competency hearing.

I'm ok with just letting KC walk as is..IF we can get something..that's just gravy. No way we should pay what he wants to play for us (the Skins). Lots of bad blood both ways. I was more afraid they'd tag him again.

Let Gruden start over with people HE chooses.

Besides..I will watch to see if Kirk IS a Franchise QB or a System QB...that will be entertaining

Archived