Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How about you guys stop talking about him not wanting to be here? 

The same guy responsible for him not wanting to be here just shipped a stud CB and a 3rd round pick for a QB the Chiefs didn't want and are ponying up

I have already stated that I don't like Fuller being traded, however you weren't going to acquire a QB in trade for nothing of value. We will have to see how they approach the draft and free agency for building the roster back up.  It's very early in the offseason still. 

I am not defending this trade in the sense that I am enthused and excited about it.  More that the front office was in a situation where they knew Cousins was walking. The damage was done.  They had to try and rectify the situation. 

Think Smith sets us up for a serious developmental QB in this or next years drsdt. If this year, I could see us taking a QB in the 4th or 5th round.

im not buying the hype on guys like White or Lauletta going Day 2. Lauletta in the 5th to groom for 3 years may not be a bad idea. I’d be super intrigued if Lamar Jackson were to miraculously fall to the 4th ... let him learn from smith for a couple years. 

Eahc pick spent on a QB though, is a pick not dedicated to playmakers and defense. We now have essentially 2 picks and about $22-23 million in free agency to get:

- #1 WR

- Starting LG

- Starting RB

- Starting ILB

- DL depth

- CB/S starter/depth

we can get an OT to provide OL depth in the 4/5/6 round range. We’ve got solid depth and youth. I’m not going to bank on 4-7 round picks providing anything more than depth. 

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We will have $55 million less $24 million for Smith. So $31 million. $10 million for rookie pool and you’re at $21 million to re-sign players and FAs. That’s “enough” but not a ton of wiggle room. 

Zach Brown - So now what you got? 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Let's not forget though.  The team was 7-9 with what 25 players on IR?  If the argument can be made that a healthy team w/Cousins could make the playoffs, couldn't the same be said of this healthy team with Alex Smith? If you disagree, why? 

Again, it's only January 31st, there is still the draft and a full free agency period so we don't even know what the entire opening day roster is going to look like yet.

If you can't sign Kirk then just blow it up. We all know skins ****ed this up two years ago but just keep throwing good money after bad. Smith might lead us to the playoffs like Burnell did but then what. What's the point he's just going to decline after that and we are back to the same boat with no draft picks or a stud cheap CB.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We will have $55 million less $24 million for Smith. So $31 million. $10 million for rookie pool and you’re at $21 million to re-sign players and FAs. That’s “enough” but not a ton of wiggle room. 

That 55 (54 is the highest I’ve seen though) isn’t including Foster and Dunbar.  So take off 5.5 mil.  

Last year, we had 17 mil after FA.  We signed our draft picks, our PS players and spent on in-season pickups.  At the end of the year, we had 1.8 mil left.  So I’d say you need to set aside 15 mil minimum, 17 or so to be safe/comfortable.  

So, using your 55, we’re down 17, 5.5 and 23.5 (though that one varies depending on what we’re paying out this year for Smith).  That leaves us with 9 mil... which could wind up being a bit more due to Smith’s contract.  Enough money to re-sign our own, and maybe enough for a big FA like Brown, Logan, etc. 

I’m not a cap expert though, so I could be wrong.  

Kirk couldn't beat the Giants in either of the last 2 season finales... 16' to clinch a playoff spot when Giants had nothing to play for... 17' for us to avoid a losing season... BOTH were huge IMO!

Welcome Alex Smith!  Lets go get Jarvis Landry and draft a DE and a RB!

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I am thinking that we might trade down from #13 and recoup the 3rd and very possibly a 2nd round pick and I also think we will be drafting a QB on day 3. Who knows, they might even draft one on day 2.

To then not pay that quarterback once you realize he is a solid starter?

Could have been worse, Imagine teddy Bridgewater or rolling with Coly McCoy.... Alex Smith isn't the future, everyone needs to calm their tits. You can be sure we will be drafting a QB for the next few drafts until we hit on the future.

Goodbye Kirk you made this franchise respectable again and with you behind center we always had a dangerous passing attack, Thank you for giving this old fan some exciting Sundays. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe so.  Considering Alex Smith's age and the backdrop of Kirk playing for another team -- I think they might have an every hand on deck approach to this off season.  That is, they draft guys that help them win now.  If so, I'd be surprised if one of their early picks is for QB.

Smith had a stellar running game.  I figure they will double down hard to do that here for him.

A shame they couldn't have done that for Kirk.

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think that's wrong.  This year is still the final year of his KC deal so the cap hit is $17 million which does give us rather more room to maneuver.  The extension kicks in next season and averages $23.5 million per year and the cap is projected to keep rising so the numbers are not too bad.  Would much prefer the extra cash goes to securing extensions for our rising talent and we avoid FA if possible.

4 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Could have been worse, Imagine teddy Bridgewater or rolling with Coly McCoy.... Alex Smith isn't the future, everyone needs to calm their tits. You can be sure we will be drafting a QB for the next few drafts until we hit on the future.

Goodbye Kirk you made this franchise respectable again and with you behind center we always had a dangerous passing attack, Thank you for giving this old fan some exciting Sundays. 

Would have much rather just stuck with Colt and let Kirk walk.  That gives you so much more freedom with free agents and picks.  Now we will be stuck in 6-8 win seasons for the next three years and we lost our ability to sign more free agents and get better draft picks.  Oh and we lost a very promising corner.  This is a horrendous trade.  

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I never said they were geniuses, but they regularly field a more competitive team than the Redskins.  They are taking a risk, but a well thought out calculated risk that was planned in advance.  Regularly fielding a competitive team and taking calculated risks that are well planned are two things Bruce Allen knows nothing about historically.  The saddest part is that it was Andy Reid who fleeced Allen the last time and he still doesn't know any better.

I can understand where you're coming from with this.  Allen's tenure at current pace is going to be judged by how he handled the Cousins negotiations, which there's no way to spin it, was not good.  My prediction is Cousins is going to stay mediocre and history will judge Allen more fairly on the whole thing.  We should've let Scott trade Cousins instead of firing him.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Dude, just guessing here.  I loved KC and wanted him here on a LTD but Allen and Co. thought differently. :)

I know man. Just really disappointed. Getting up today and reading the news of my two favorite sports teams:

Redksins traded away one of my favorite players for Alex Smith

Borussia Dortmund lost their superstar striker to Arsenal and got a semi-talented striker on a half year loan as exchange.

What a day...

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I like Alex Smith better than Bridgewater/Bradford/Foles or any of the other options the Redskins had once Kirk walked... I agree that giving up Fuller and a 3rd is a heavy price - but so be it.  Maybe Kirk is worth the Stafford or Flacco level deal that he will be getting, I suppose that thinking is what led to the original contract issue. 

Cousins will be the highest paid player in the league. 

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wouldn't it be nice to put Ashburn to the torch and then sew salt in the ground?  Realistically, it's our only cure.  The excision of a virulent tumor.

Honestly... if it weren't for the Nationals and my misplaced hope in the Wizards I would probably move and escape this in-market sports hell.  I could easily talk myself into moving somewhere in the Carolinas solely for sports reasons.  I could become a fan of their college football and basketball teams.  Maybe Texas.  Or ****, move to California and try to have Predicto's life.

Just don't take sports as seriously, man. Been telling you this for years. It's just gonna lead to tears, every time.

But I'd totally cheer if Redskins Park suddenly collapsed into a massive sinkhole

I get the fact that giving up Fuller stunk in the trade but lets face it Kirk wasn't coming back and we needed a QB. We can all get wrapped around the axel about what the front office did and didn't do but Kirk is the one at the deadline last year who didn't want to negotiate a deal with the skins by countering the skins offer because he was knew we would have matched it. Kirk to me is a sensitive sally who from my observation holds grudges like I said its business its not personal unless you perceive it that way when it comes to negotiation this is business and if you get your feelings get hurt maybe you should try something else. Don't get me wrong Kirk is good but is he really worth 27 or 28 mil? I mean he hasn't showed up December the last couple of seasons he hasn't won a playoff game and he has only led us to mediocrity the last 3 seasons. Its time to move Kirk is good but not great.

17 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Alex Smith will make you want to hang yourself by week eight, despite the fact that you are 5-3 and he has thrown one interception. It's a remarkable talent.

I don't care if every single pass play ends up being a check-down if they're winning football games.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I can understand where you're coming from with this.  Allen's tenure at current pace is going to be judged by how he handled the Cousins negotiations, which there's no way to spin it, was not good.  My prediction is Cousins is going to stay mediocre and history will judge Allen more fairly on the whole thing.  We should've let Scott trade Cousins instead of firing him.

LOL @ stay mediocre.  Will he have mediocre games, yeah.  But you're fooling yourself if you think he's just going to go somewhere and suck.

Allen is being judged more than fairly no matter how Cousins plays though.  He's been here since the end of 2009 and what we have are a lot of lost draft picks in flailing attempts to solve the QB position and the loss of one we drafted as a consolation prize to one of those flailing attempts.  Oh and no playoff wins to go with that.  So please, anywhere else Allen is looking for a job years ago.

Archived