Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Unbelievable.

they took a bad situation that they created themselves and made it worse.

We now have the same QB,,  just a lot older and finished developing,, there isn't any more ceiling with Smith, whereas I don't think Cousins has reached his ceiling yet.

Making the move with the third round pick is dumb enough..  but then throwing in Kendall Fuller..  

yesterday, CB was a position of strength,, probably the position with the most talent of any on the team. Fuller is a bright young rising star. 

Now he's gone, and with the imminent departure of Breeland, the CB position goes right back to being tentative,  and devoid of depth.

****ing brilliant. I am starting to see a trend here. Redskins draft and develop young players, other teams players, other coaches take note and praise them, and out the ****ing door they go. Honestly, if I was the giants or Cowboys, I'd be on TV right now saing how much we think Ryan Kerrigan is a star, how impressed we are with Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff. Dumbass Allen will trade them for a punter and 5 Bazooka Joe comics by morning.

With this choice made,, even though i was dead set against the idea, I now think we would have been better off just going with McCoy.

It's the same situation,, the team is signalling it doesnt want to win now, no matter how much anyone would like to point to Smith's numbers. He's as good as he's going to get and it isn't goo enough. He comes here where there is no running game to take the pressure off of him.

If we'd have gone with McCoy, dumb as it would have been, at least we could start trying to build it back up faster.

Congratulations, Bruce. This is a move Vinny Ceratto would have made. 

~Ugh

52 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I like Fuller, but a good starting QB for a corner is no comparison.

As long as he is not on the downhill and that he has weapons around him, right ?

We got a QB who threw only once for 4000+ yards while Kirk did it 3 seasons in a row with less talent around him.

A QB who lost his job to Kaepernick, and now to a rookie who played in only one game throwing one INT.

For those saying we got a worse Qb just stop. If anything we got someone who is an older Kirk Cousins at worst and is much cheaper. The 3rd going in the trade was a fine deal. However as much as I could not stand Kirk Cousins and getting a new QB was my first priority you do not and repeat do not trade one of the best players on your defense. All that was done is create another gaping hole on a defense that was not needed. This move can be overcome by good drafting but this one stings a bit. I do welcome the Alex Smith era though.

7 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

For those saying we got a worse Qb just stop. If anything we got someone who is an older Kirk Cousins at worst and is much cheaper. The 3rd going in the trade was a fine deal. However as much as I could not stand Kirk Cousins and getting a new QB was my first priority you do not and repeat do not trade one of the best players on your defense. All that was done is create another gaping hole on a defense that was not needed. This move can be overcome by good drafting but this one stings a bit. I do welcome the Alex Smith era though.

Considering we don't know what either player's cap hit will be next year, this is an invalid statement.

70M guaranteed, 23.5 a year, the loss of a cheap stud CB, and potentially another stud on a cheap 4 year deal.  Yet this team has all the money in the world to build this "elite defense" now. :ols:

I'd bet anything if you back 8 years and find the McNabb trade thread, these same homers were loving that one too. It's what they do.  

The trade's a wash IMO.  Smith is more athletic but older.  I don't see it as an upgrade.  The FO fumbled the Cousins situation which left them with this as an option,..so, they're hand was slightly forced.  I view that negatively with respect running the franchise, but, this is about as good an outcome considering they're past blunders. 

I liked Fuller a lot, too bad he's gone.  Would much rather have dished Breeland.

One thing is clear now -- this FO never liked Kirk, and Kirk never liked them.  Too bad we had to watch that awkward dance for 3 years.  Lots time invested that was wasted, but,...not surprising considering the leadership.

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

I'm just sick that we lost Fuller. He was imo shaping up to be the best player on our defense. And only 22. Just disgusted right now. 

That's where I'm at.

Smith was going to be a FA yes?

Not that I generally care because I’m used to it, but the skins are getting panned for this. 

As Bang pointed out, this feels like a Cerrato move.

im actually surprised this is the direction they went. A rookie qb sells jerseys and hope. Does anyone plan on buying a smith jersey? Or feel hopeful about this team’s immediate future? 

It's probably been stated but I need to vent more.  I didn't care to keep Kirk and would have liked to take a shot with someone in the draft.  However, why not try and use any kind of strategy to get some value for Kirk.  Simply franchise him and trade him for a 7th rounder in the least.  Second, a third round pick for Smith doesn't seem like the worst, but when the 49ers got Jimmy Garoppollo for a 2nd rounder, a third seems a bit high.  Then you add in Fuller, who likely was going to start next year to avoid paying Breeland a large contract?

I thought Bruce Allen was more of a business/contracts guy.  None of this makes business sense.

20 minutes ago, carex said:

Like Cousins would have taken that

I wonder what happened that the FO felt compelled to make the deal now. What triggered it? Was it more contract offers being rebuffed without any counter, was it something the sides said to one another, or did they think they'd lose this deal if they didn't jump?

The timing is odd. As I said last night, the Fuller part bothers me. I don't mind Smith though I see him as a band aid and not an answer. I'd rather have ridden with Colt and built the team until we find the guy that we think that can our QB of the future. Smith's not a bad QB. He's actually a good QB, but he can't be much better than our QB of the present... and the team has too many holes to be ready for a QB of the present.

Lol Kirk = Smith???? Don’t be fools.. cousins younger has had more 4 k + passing seasons in 4 years with the same or worse talent smith has had while smith has ONE, cousins is a better passer some of you will say stats don’t matter well yes they do give cousins talent and he can throw for 5k, Smith will put up numbers like he did in San Fran with the offensive talent on this team, WAKE UP ppl this was a move to get fans in seats just like every move like this is the first two times we traded for a “vet” qb I believed.....not this time no sir can’t fool me three times no team ever trades for old qbs except us who sucks we do whose laughing at us everyone who put his .... in Snyder’s mouth Again Reid did. We are toast 5-11 or worse Smiths athleticism won’t help him here and I won’t go to games again till Allen is replaced in our crap hole of a stadium we deserve to suck.

Archived